Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The United States posted:

Isn't that what the SciFi channel Children of Dune miniseries did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRJUgEcds4

Children of Dune had the misfortune of having a pretty good/great cast, great soundtrack, pretty good effects (for a TV miniseries), but a really middling story that just feels like a middle part of more interesting events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ravel posted:

If the Jamis/Paul friendship scenes were prescience of an unrealised future, then the way to have kept both Jamis and Paul alive is for Jessica to be left behind. Obviously you could interpret them as metaphorical visions.

One thing that popped into my mind was the decision not to let Paul join the advance team on Arrakis. Had he been with Duncan on first contact with the fremen, an entirely different future could have played out. Duncan was obviously well received by the fremen of Tabr and with him there as Paul's guide, the initial meeting might have been one that opened Jamis up to the idea that the boy could be a friend and was worthy to learn fremen ways.

This decision was prominent enough to be the focal point of 2 different scenes, so for me it stuck out as an integral branching of possibilities.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 15, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
People keep saying the SyFy Dune is cheap, but it’s hard to explain what a high-production budget that was for TV twenty years ago: huge, detailed matte paintings, boatloads of costumed extras, and a lot of SFX work (which hasn’t aged well, but was years before :bsg: showed that good sfx could be done on TV)...

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I watched the Lynch Dune last night...

- everything is unbelievably junky looking, like a yard sale
- the squarish shields on people made me laugh as they looked ridiculous
- started to think it won't finish the book because it only had an hour left where Dune 2021 ended, but... it managed to finish it I guess. very rushed.
- honestly was expecting something more incoherent. I never read the book, I just think Dune 2021 explained the plot well enough that the plot points in Lynch's were recognizable.
- the worm designs WERE cooler in Lynch imo
- I actually liked the opening that explains stuff

Don't really get how things looked junky besides the Fremen. All of the factions in the opening have very different costuming and settings with the extravagant royal opulence of the emperor, the simple militaristic look of the Artreides, or the industrial grunge of the Harkonnen. Its not as clean looking as modern films but instead has some of that Lynch dirt.
Actually, ok the cat milker was pretty junky looking and I would not trust that.

It is interesting how much time they spent on the Shield scene in Dune 1984 only to never use it again the movie. The personal shields never came up at all.
The new film is a bit better with this in that it allows Duncan to have some great fights, but still lots of shielded soldiers just get wrecked by explosions anyways.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love the crazy costumes in the Dune miniseries, especially the Corrino tacky technicolor silk and crystal motifs.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Dune miniseries always has a place in my heart because the first book's adaptation lowers your standards so much that the second miniseries seems awesome in comparison.

Also, I distinctly remember telling my college girlfriend at the time how fukken awesome Dune was and how rad it was being finally adapted properly only for her to fall asleep by like the second commercial break.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

checkplease posted:

It is interesting how much time they spent on the Shield scene in Dune 1984 only to never use it again the movie. The personal shields never came up at all.
The new film is a bit better with this in that it allows Duncan to have some great fights, but still lots of shielded soldiers just get wrecked by explosions anyways.

Duncan is using a shield in the scene where he gets shot in the head. You forget about it because the movie goes out of its way to make Duncan entirely forgettable.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh right, there is a similar bullet/dart scene in the new film, but here Duncan swats it away.
Gurney and the pug get more screen time than Ducan in the old film.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I actually only remember him being in two scenes: the scene where he's introduced and the scene where he dies. I assume there's a third scene I forgot about

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

he has, like, 10 seconds alone with Duke Leto after they land and are getting the lay of Arrakeen. Says something about how Leto was right about the Fremen and they need to ally with them

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

checkplease posted:

Oh right, there is a similar bullet/dart scene in the new film, but here Duncan swats it away.
Gurney and the pug get more screen time than Ducan in the old film.

God-Pug of Dune

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6bpI7D_oXA

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

- the worm designs WERE cooler in Lynch imo

On the other hand, the 5 seconds of worm riding[ that we see at the end of Dune 2021 looked epic.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

God-Pug of Dune

You joke, but that pug plus about 5000 years of careful breeding is how we get to chair dogs.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://youtu.be/6n1ntwMNrI4

Honest Trailers

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was it me or did the score seem to invoke 84s Prophecy theme at the end as they were looking at the sunrise?

That song 's crescendo is haunting, one of my favorite pieces of movie music.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was it me or did the score seem to invoke 84s Prophecy theme at the end as they were looking at the sunrise?

That song 's crescendo is haunting, one of my favorite pieces of movie music.
It absolutely did, and there were also several parts that reminded me of the MIDI from Dune II: Battle For Arrakis for DOS.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

The shields do look pretty goofy but I think it adds a baroque, inelegant quality to them. The clunkiness kind of helps sell that they don’t have computers in this setting.
Isn't the whole point of those shields that they are unobtrusive? Like, an aristocrat can walk around shaking hands, kissing babies, eating hors d'oeuvres, and his shields only kick in when an assassin in the crowd tries to shoot him. In that case, the shields we see in the 1984 movie fail in that regard. If you approach me looking like a trippy Minecraft monster, I will freak out.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Zimmer is apparently a huge Dune fan and poured all of his effort into the score and it really shows. The music elevates almost every scene, except for the Wonder Woman Call, which is this generation of film’s Inception Button.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It occurs to me that a warrior who combines those shields with conventional body armor would be unstoppable. The Sardaukar wore body armor when they attacked Arrakis, but Duncan had no trouble knifing them. Do they not have Kevlar gorgets in the far future?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The knives are vibrating really fast so they go through body armor easily

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stephane Picq's score is better than Zimmer's

Kurzon posted:

It occurs to me that a warrior who combines those shields with conventional body armor would be unstoppable. The Sardaukar wore body armor when they attacked Arrakis, but Duncan had no trouble knifing them. Do they not have Kevlar gorgets in the far future?
I can only assume that their swords are some kind of incredibly hard material with some kind of ultrasharp "monomolecular" edge.

This was addressed in the roleplaying game they did in the 90s. Everyone's uniforms are made of space-age fabric that protects better than modern body armor while being light and breathable, which explains why the books never describe body armour besides ceremonial helmets.

There were also fussy little rules for adjusting the level of your shield, and adjusting the pressure in a stunner pistol to penetrate that shield.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 17, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I'd assume when swords and knives have been the standard of warfare for like 4000 years, they'd probably end up developing ludicrously good blades. As for the Fremen Crysknives, they probably got some unnatural super sharpness going on by default because Arrakis.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

took my dad to see this last night and he seemed to have no trouble picking up that the Harkonnens are vicious people. Maybe in part 2 we can spend a bit more time with the Baron and his "delights" but I think we can all agree that maybe making the villain the only one that has hedonistic tendencies isn't the greatest look in 2021.

Also something I had missed in my first viewing, at the beginning when the Fremen attack the Harkonnen harvester they are pretty clearly using Lasguns and my thought (much like every other instance of them being used in the film) was that the ones wielding the Lasguns were well aware of the risk of encountering a shield but were prepared to accept the MAD consequences. Last night as I was watching I remembered what Liet-Kynes says about using shields on harvesters and so then I realised "oh, THAT'S why the Fremen are using them, they know even the Harkonnens aren't stupid enough to employ shields in worm territory"

With that said, I do wonder if we will see that happen in part 2, I had thought that when Duncan got back up that he was going to throw himself in the path of the cutting laser, knowing he would die with all the Sardukar but maybe he knew the resulting explosion would still harm Paul, Jessica, and Liet-Kynes. Fun stuff to think about and while I think it does make sense that all the hand communication is supposed to be the Atreides Battle Language, considering that it is 95% done by Jessica to others, I had presumed it was the Bene Gesserit hand communication and she only taught it to specific people that she trusts, hence why Dr. Yueh knows it, Paul knows it, and her personal guards know it

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Part Two should mention the Butlerian Jihad and the ban on thinking machines. A key plot point of Dune is that the spice is essential for space travel, but how then did humans get to Arrakis in the first place if Arrakis is the only source of spice?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Zimmer is apparently a huge Dune fan and poured all of his effort into the score and it really shows. The music elevates almost every scene, except for the Wonder Woman Call, which is this generation of film’s Inception Button.
I think there's +20 people who've said they've been fans of the book since they read it as kids so far, and even if some of that is marketing, for the few that I've read extensive interviews with, it does seem like they know their source material better than someone who just read it for the shoot.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Lynch's quote that he wanted to keep the spirit of Dune and throw out everything else seems really accurate to me. Lynch's movie definitely gets the spirit in tone in a way Villenueve's lacks (and I'm a big V fan, but this was maybe his least interesting movie).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Kurzon posted:

Part Two should mention the Butlerian Jihad and the ban on thinking machines. A key plot point of Dune is that the spice is essential for space travel, but how then did humans get to Arrakis in the first place if Arrakis is the only source of spice?

This isn’t covered super well, but I think there are two types of FTL in the Dune universe. Folding space with a Holtzman drive is instantaneous but requires a navigator (either machine or organic). They either first discovered Arrakis before the Butlerian Jihad or did it without a navigator.

I don’t know how FTL works in this universe without navigators - maybe they just have to take super small jumps at a time so it takes forever (comparatively) to get anywhere, or maybe they also have some Star Trek FTL that’s just way slower. The encyclopedia mentions the Guild having a ton of smaller ships besides the Heighliners, and given that FTL communications don’t appear to exist in this universe it makes sense there would be a big swarm of smaller ships hopping between planets.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The sequel will determine how good this thing ultimately is, because Dune '84 is pretty coherent right up until we actually get to the desert and then gets truncated to hell and back until we have a wizard baby declaring "Movie over!"

Dune '84 is very influential over every other Dune adaptation, but it's fundamentally true that it was butchered in the editing room, even if that butchery gives the last half of the movie an even trippier quality.

People are fairly surprised that the Baron was not given 20m to just go absolutely ham and that seems like the biggest departure from the past. Evidently the idea is to save Feyd entirely for the sequel.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Danger posted:

Lynch's quote that he wanted to keep the spirit of Dune and throw out everything else seems really accurate to me. Lynch's movie definitely gets the spirit in tone in a way Villenueve's lacks (and I'm a big V fan, but this was maybe his least interesting movie).
The spirit of the book which somehow involves making a character into a magic space wizard that can make it rain on a planet that has almost no free water, subverting the entire point of the actual book which is about how even the best intentions of powerful and charismatic people will be twisted out of their control?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lynch dune, with its point of 'what if charismatic leaders are loving awesome actually', is a necessary part of the dialectic

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What if Lynch is the powerful and charismatic person whose best intentions were twisted beyond his control

MetaDune

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Kurzon posted:

Thufir Hawat's Mentat was sick. Dude made his eyes white to multiply two numbers together.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The spirit of the book which somehow involves making a character into a magic space wizard that can make it rain on a planet that has almost no free water, subverting the entire point of the actual book which is about how even the best intentions of powerful and charismatic people will be twisted out of their control?

it would have been a very clever ending if they had simply made it clear that water destroys the worms. in that sense, paul chose to end galactic civilization as it was known, which is more interesting.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Aces High posted:

Maybe in part 2 we can spend a bit more time with the Baron and his "delights" but I think we can all agree that maybe making the villain the only one that has hedonistic tendencies isn't the greatest look in 2021.

We can?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I think the Baron is gay in the books.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He's not even really "gay," the sum total of his sexuality is preying on adolescent boys.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*libertarianishly* Actually, I think you'll find that the age of consent on Geidi Prime is

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kurzon posted:

The thing that occurred to me is that it is a bit unclear why Fremen stillsuits are a big deal when the Harkonnen and Sardaukar are clearly wearing full environment suit-armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alchenar posted:

The thing that occurred to me is that it is a bit unclear why Fremen stillsuits are a big deal when the Harkonnen and Sardaukar are clearly wearing full environment suit-armour.

Because the Fremen suits are canonically awesome at allowing people to survive in the desert for a long time, and theres no suggestion that the Sardaukar have the same tech