Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Would-be buyers of Quest 2 should wait a bit. It seems both Best Buy and Amazon will offer $50 credit in Black Friday.

Here it's confirmation of Amazon
https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-releases/news-release-details/amazon-announces-more-deals-ever-its-48-hour-black-friday-event
"Receive a $50 Amazon promotional credit with the purchase of Oculus Quest 2. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone have any experience playing 3rd person action games in VR in vorpx? It supports all the Dark Souls games and I'm kind of looking for a reason to replay them, I could see VR being cool in the same way that e.g. Moss is (even if they're not designed for it) but I can't conceptualize how it would work in practice.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

If anyone wants to do the 30 bucks double dip referral thing with me with a quest 2, send me a PM (it's 60bucks total)

edit: done. Worked like a charm, got 35CAD instantly for being referred, and then get the other 35CAD in 30 days for referring someone. 70 CAD of free games! Really worth doing if you can find someone to do it with.

Alctel fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 17, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does anyone have any experience playing 3rd person action games in VR in vorpx? It supports all the Dark Souls games and I'm kind of looking for a reason to replay them, I could see VR being cool in the same way that e.g. Moss is (even if they're not designed for it) but I can't conceptualize how it would work in practice.

I played GTA V in VorpX and enjoyed it. Anything you play like that is just going to be you becoming the camera, which can get uncomfortable if you're playing something where you wildly swing the camera around.

GTA V was actually a bit more than I could handle in full immersion so I ended up switching to the theatre view where it's basically like playing the game on a massive 3d TV.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Vorpx is a waste of money don't get it unless you want to experiment games that dont really work well in vr. I've seen Tip talk up vorpx before and just simply cannot imagine where they are coming from because there is a GTAV VR mod that works even better than vorpx does and nothing else I was interested in even worked a tiny bit. Don't even think about playing a multiplayer game (or mmo) because the anti-cheats will completely stop vorpx from working.

so yeah vorpx loving sucks

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Vorpx is a waste of money don't get it unless you want to experiment games that dont really work well in vr.

That's uh, literally the point of VorpX. I bought it several years ago when there were very few VR games or VR mods for games and it was pretty cool to use on a few titles. :shrug:

I always hear people complain about it and say it sucks but I'm not really sure what they were expecting from it, it does what it says on the tin. It's not going to create a full VR mod for every game but it does a solid job of displaying most games in 3d without horrible stuff like the alternate eye rendering in that GTA VR mod.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Maybe you have stacks of $35 lying around but I found it a complete dogshit value for the price. Especially when almost all the VR mods that are actually worth a drat are free

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there any type of account sharing with the Quest if you have two of them? I'm thinking about picking one up for my wife with that black friday deal if you can share games.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/andrewmitrak/status/1460782583705333761?s=21

Something something "make it so no one else can exist in the VR space" something...

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Alctel posted:

If anyone wants to do the 30 bucks double dip referral thing with me with a quest 2, send me a PM (it's 60bucks total)

edit: done. Worked like a charm, got 35CAD instantly for being referred, and then get the other 35CAD in 30 days for referring someone. 70 CAD of free games! Really worth doing if you can find someone to do it with.

Does it work if you have already set someone else up with a referral but you have not done a referral for your own device? Also, how hard is it to get everything redownloaded (are there issues with the games not restoring where they were?)

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does it work if you have already set someone else up with a referral but you have not done a referral for your own device? Also, how hard is it to get everything redownloaded (are there issues with the games not restoring where they were?)

I think that situation would work yes. As for redownloading, it's pretty easy. When I first started up the device again it suggested everything I have purchased and you can download them all at once. I am not sure about the last bit, games not restoring where they were.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Nocheez posted:

This is why I was happy to buy my HMD from Valve. Great customer service, and they aren't actively trying to destroy society.

Counterpoint: FB sent me a replacement Rift S free of charge after i accidentally damaged one of the lenses on my one by leaving it near a window. They didnt have to do that since it was my fault not a manufacturing issue

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ROFLBOT posted:

Counterpoint: FB sent me a replacement Rift S free of charge after i accidentally damaged one of the lenses on my one by leaving it near a window. They didnt have to do that since it was my fault not a manufacturing issue

My valve customer support hasn't been 100% peaches and cream.

Cable replacement. No problem.

Controller obviously bad? Took 30 days to complete the ticket. It was slightly painful and it took a MONTH off my warranty since it took so long.

My oculus/fb support has been spot on easy.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I think it's hosed up for all of the VR companies that you cant just buy replacement lenses, regardless of how nice they are to you when you have to beg them to help you out.

If their design makes it impossible, that's bad design. What customization or whatever could they possibly be doing when they first send the headset out to you that would make the lenses different? Facebook checking your FB profile pic to measure your eyes or something? Just sell the drat lenses.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I still have yet to hear back from Oculus about a replacement controller for my quest 1 over a year ago. It still works barely and I hardly play it, but still

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Gerdalti posted:

Any opinions on https://www.vr-wave.store/ for Rx lens inserts? My wife and I both would want them, and then magnetic connection point seems like an easy way to swap.

I recently purchased these as my eyes are garbage, and they have been a real gamechanger. They are very comfortable for me and not having to wear my glasses in VR has been well worth the price.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's actually a lot of calibration and subsequent software correction for all sorts of things to get the screens and lenses working together. Things like distortion correction and color drift offsets and such.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Come on Lemming, put paid gorilla skins! Be rich!
https://uploadvr.com/app-lab-dlc-iap/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Come on Lemming, put paid gorilla skins! Be rich!
https://uploadvr.com/app-lab-dlc-iap/

Working on it as fast as I can, just trying to deal with a hack that lets people kick others from the game that popped up a few days ago and some scumbag script kid attacking the servers today :suicide:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Devil Worship
Witchcraft
Child Sacrifice

I swear these are some of the things that Air link runs on.

Just got my Quest 2 today to replace my Rift S. I was really pissed when I found out I would have to rebuy Beat Saber. Decided to try Air link even though my PC is about 7 meters away and connected via wifi. I thought there wasn't a chance in hell it would be playable.

I was wrong. Out of 10 songs, I only had 2 that had big problems. Just loving floored how well it worked.

I'm guessing that I will get even better performance If I connected my PC to the router via cable?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Raged posted:

I'm guessing that I will get even better performance If I connected my PC to the router via cable?

It should cut the extra latency (not the total latency, only the part that comes from wifi) by half.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bondematt posted:

If you have a B550 or X570 board, make sure to turn off PCIe 4.0, or update your BIOS if yours has the fix.

Otherwise USB will just drop connection randomly.

This was it!

Rolled them back to Gen3 and now everything works perfectly.

Blade and Sorcery is a pretty decent workout for an old fatty like me. Can't wait to buy every VR game, even if they suck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bondematt posted:

If you have a B550 or X570 board, make sure to turn off PCIe 4.0, or update your BIOS if yours has the fix.

Otherwise USB will just drop connection randomly.

Wait, uh, what's the deal with that? I have a B550-F and have been having stupid USB problems forever like my wireless receiver for my headphones randomly knocking out. Also have a PCIe bluetooth card and have been having nothing but problems with that disconnecting and poo poo too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Airlink was unplayably bad for me yesterday. I hadn't tried it for months, and Blade and Sorcery did not work well.

I'm using the Q2 in the same room as the router (Unifi Dream Machine), am on the 5ghz spectrum, and my PC is hardwired via ethernet to the router.

I didn't do much troubleshooting like restarting my PC or anything, but I'd like to get that tracked down sometime.

For Quest 2 folks, what do you use for controller batteries? I have 1.2v rechargeable AA batteries that don't work great. Single-use batteries seem to be the way to go for good 1.5V, but I don't love the idea of going through consumables like that.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

canyoneer posted:

Airlink was unplayably bad for me yesterday. I hadn't tried it for months, and Blade and Sorcery did not work well.

I'm using the Q2 in the same room as the router (Unifi Dream Machine), am on the 5ghz spectrum, and my PC is hardwired via ethernet to the router.

I didn't do much troubleshooting like restarting my PC or anything, but I'd like to get that tracked down sometime.

For Quest 2 folks, what do you use for controller batteries? I have 1.2v rechargeable AA batteries that don't work great. Single-use batteries seem to be the way to go for good 1.5V, but I don't love the idea of going through consumables like that.

I use rechargeables and they work perfectly (I actually switched to rechargables for literally everything in my house a few years ago). I use the EBL 2800mAh AAs which are 1.2v and I've never had an issue.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GJG7Q3/ been using this for the Q2 batteries, AA's for the quest and the AAA's for Petzl headlamps, and it's worked flawlessly. I get about a month per charge and I'm using this drat headset every day.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was getting choppy performance with airlink, but now i'm getting good performance, after doing some tweaks from this guide here:

https://smartglasseshub.com/oculus-...re%20detail.%20

Then I found this reddit post for VR games on steam:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/steamgameswithnativesupport
For Beat Saber, Go to Steam > Right Click on Beat Saber in your Library > Click on Properties > General > In Launch Options type "-vrmode oculus".

Mostly I got my other wireless devices like my smartphone, laptop, and tablet, off my 5G connection, and put them on a separate 2G wifi connection so that only my Quest 2 was using the 5G.
Then I used a wifi performance tool to find out which router channel had the least interference, since I live in an apt complex with tons of wifi and bluetooth devices around me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall: The Reckoning (okay i added that last one but cmon) came out today. This looked kinda rad, and the videos on the store page continue to look rad. Anyone know if it's as good as it looks?

Edit: Seems like it doesn't work through virtual desktop on quest right now. Nobody says it doesn't work on airlink though so :shrug:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 17, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Woo, it's OCULUS30 time again. How's that new Medal of Honour game? If not that then I'll grab Resi 4.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Inzombiac posted:

This was it!

Rolled them back to Gen3 and now everything works perfectly.

Blade and Sorcery is a pretty decent workout for an old fatty like me. Can't wait to buy every VR game, even if they suck.

Nice! Glad it worked

explosivo posted:

Wait, uh, what's the deal with that? I have a B550-F and have been having stupid USB problems forever like my wireless receiver for my headphones randomly knocking out. Also have a PCIe bluetooth card and have been having nothing but problems with that disconnecting and poo poo too.

Potentially, but it's not the only reason USB drops randomly. It's a worth a try since there's not much reason for Gen4 over Gen3 yet, and at least you can confirm if that is the issue.

I haven't heard of issues with PCIe itself, but I only know about it from when I had my Index and it would just randomly go full grey with no explanation. This doesn't affect every B550 or X570, and a lot of them have newer BIOS now that is supposed to correct the problem with PCIe Gen4 and USB.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Vorpx is a waste of money don't get it unless you want to experiment games that dont really work well in vr. I've seen Tip talk up vorpx before and just simply cannot imagine where they are coming from because there is a GTAV VR mod that works even better than vorpx does and nothing else I was interested in even worked a tiny bit. Don't even think about playing a multiplayer game (or mmo) because the anti-cheats will completely stop vorpx from working.

so yeah vorpx loving sucks

It's not terrible when it's your only option and if you take (a lot of) time to set it up, but I have motion sickness issues and can't really handle games that don't have support for room-scale movement so I haven't used it that much. Once it's dialled down correctly t's about on par with the VR mode for ARK or Subnautica (which are some of the worst first-party VR implementations I've seen).

I suppose it depends on what you want, ultimately it's a gimmick that lets you look at some flatscreen worlds in VR. It's not particularly great for playing through the games entirely in VR, but for a lot of things it's the only way to get VR working.

Also $35 isn't that much in the VR world.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 17, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

canyoneer posted:

If you absolutely want 1.5V rechargeables, I've found these to be pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQ7QV7W

Sadly, the 1.5V Li-ion battery space is mainly no-name brands that mostly lie about the battery's capabilities. You have to basically search out YouTube videos of people doing comprehensive battery tests to determine which ones are mostly truthful.

The ones I've linked are mostly truthful and at a decent-ish price. I've had no troubles with them.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
The OpenVR FSR project got updated with support for Nvidia Image Scaling.

Supposedly the differences are mostly a matter of personal taste but the comparison shot I saw in Discord seems impressive.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

DSLL seemed to do a not great job in the one game I tried in VR that supported it (no mans sky) so it'll be interesting to see if this is better

by not great job it sped up things but everything was pretty blurry

Alctel fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 17, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

canyoneer posted:

Big ol’ box of Kirkland AAs. The HMD’s internal battery will die before I run out.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

DSLL seemed to do a not great job in the one game I tried in VR that supported it (no mans sky) so it'll be interesting to see if this is better

by not great job it sped up things but everything was pretty blurry

DLSS is strictly better tech than FRS or Image Scaling.

Image Scaling is NVIDIAs answer to FSR and unsurprisingly it looks and performs slightly better than FSR but still nowhere near as good as DLSS. It's only advantage is not requiring an RTX card,

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah my experience with no mans sky VR with DLSS on was iffy. It didn't feel like the flatscreen DLSS experience at all

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

forest spirit posted:

Yeah my experience with no mans sky VR with DLSS on was iffy. It didn't feel like the flatscreen DLSS experience at all

Yeah it's weird cos DLSS is awesome on almost every flatscreen game I tried

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

forest spirit posted:

I forgot, did they let you choose DLSS quality? If not, then it's probably because they're upscaling from a way too small resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
microvibrations of your head make TAA blurry, but DLSS uses a lot of the same information as TAA and is applied the same way. perhaps those vibrations make it that much harder for it to work?