Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Shellception posted:

Alright, so you are town. You are doubting my affirmation that I don't believe both of you aren't scum.

This sure is a phrase I wrote. Holy hell. This should read "You are doubting my affirmation that I don't believe both of you are scum". I wrote that while someone was speaking Spanish at me, and I apparently forgot how double negatives work in English. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's Day 1, I never try day 1 unless I'm suspicious of Bif. :colbert:

But in all seriousness, I'm trying to avoid any early calls because there's three players here I've never played with, so I don't really have a sense of them yet. Which is unfortunate because two of them are randomly sticking up for other players as definitely town already.

I'll give you that, playing without metadata is harder. But there are some names being thrown around that you definitely have played with. No opinion in those, either?

Also, I am eating the thread, which is something I promised myself I wouldn't do again. So I'll stop with the longposts now. You all go ahead with whatever, because we are not going to learn anything if the only voice sticking out is mine. The lurkers still get lurkier, and I get no data on what worries me now, which is finding a reliable townie.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Never apologize for posting, we need more active voices.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
It's okay shell, thread has just fully accepted that d1 is mostly pointless and I am HERE for it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I used to be super active on d1, usually lead whatever elimination happened that day. That was when I was a filled with vitriol youth. Now, I am a laid back grouch.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

It's okay shell, thread has just fully accepted that d1 is mostly pointless and I am HERE for it.

Hope it's just D1. Last time you looked so laid-back and relaxed, two people went up in flames.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maerlyn posted:

I'm back at work after a week off but I'll try to post more thoughts at lunch. Things do feel like they are starting to get convoluted here so focusing on catching up with work and mafia is nearly impossible right now.

I have...suspicions (maybe that's a "regardless of alignment" thing though).

Are you going to respond to what Shell asked on the last page?

Yes probably when I’m not busy, I have no idea what it said but it’s probably not very compelling anyway

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Shellception posted:

Hope it's just D1. Last time you looked so laid-back and relaxed, two people went up in flames.

I like to think I'm as cool as a cucumber in every game :cool:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Sandicap posted:

Who's this Grandicap bloke? He sounds well spoken and handsome.

Obvious deflection is obvious. I don't like this.

##vote Sandicap

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Toalpaz posted:

I like to think I'm as cool as a cucumber in every game :cool:

Very cucumbersome more like

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

Very cucumbersome more like

What a pickle you're putting me in ><

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Getting a chance to dig in today here's some early thoughts.

Shellception reads town to me. If scum can hand out boons the immediate instinct would be to hand it to themselves thus a voluntary early soft-claim feels townie. Contorting yourself I can imagine scum who would volunteer this to appear townie or some sort of role which requires them to deliver "boons" outside the scum group but these contortions are uncomfortable - a more probable explanation is Shell is playing it a bit fast and loose as a non-critical town role. Reads town to me.

In addition - Merk volunteering to be the "townie" for the boon reads townie to me as well. If we start from the idea that Shell is town then would scum immediately try to grab the boon? I lean towards scum being more hesitant. Receiving an unknown boon puts eyes on you, and you'd be expected to use it in a pro-town way, it opens up scum to more problems than it solves. If you imagine Shell is scum then you'd have to imagine this would be a coordinated double-scum move to offer a boon then ask for it which is too convoluted for day 1 in my view.

Thus I get good vibes from both Shell and Merk.

Retro Futurist is pinging me but only slightly. The initial post throwing suspicion on Grandi then coming back and voting for Grandi doesn't seem super genuine. However RF does draw attention to this by quoting themselves... I feel this could go both ways but the self-quote to escalate an earlier suspicion into a vote is just hitting my gut. I don't have a much better reason and don't feel too strongly.

B minus is pinging me as scum. Low-content posting, and posts that jump to strong conclusions without real justification (particularly the below which presumes the scum status of two people in a single read).

b-minus1 posted:

This looks like a scumbus:

From there B minus says they read Grandi as scum before voting me. All sound and fury, not helpful, throwing suspicion everywhere, and inconsistent.

Other callouts include:

Sandnavyguy - trying to fly under the radar, the shop post feels super weird.
Taste - hoping for shop resolution to spark content defers blame from those not providing content (including them!)
Deadmeat5150 - throwing hands up early day 1 with "nothing is really jumping out at me", and vote on Grandi (sandi) reads forced onto a bandwagon.

Overall best gut right now is ##vote Bminus

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm glad you are getting good merk vibes. That's the towniest read I have as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd go back to SNG as well. I was mostly joking, but choosing to avoid the shop definitely seems more like something scum would do than town. It's a little too self conscious

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote sng

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I too would vote SNG

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Shellception posted:

You want something else that's also been bothering me, even in a non-content day?

Hal starts up the day being questioning, playing aggresively and poking people from the door. I was a bit surprised, but I'm not about to question anyone trying to move things out of jokephase, even if it is by throwing things out and seeing what sticks. But then:

... where is the follow-up? Do you not sus Mae or me, or anyone else, anymore? Surely now there's more content on the table, you should be able to articulate how you feel about your earlier reads?

I’ve got a moment so I can address this I suppose

The first part was not a case or suspicion, it was just me joshing about with merk

The second was actually a real bit of suspicion, but mild D1 suspicion and I haven’t really thought much about Mae since then but I didn’t feel especially strong about it still when I was rereading the other day

Since then I’ve been pretty busy and haven’t thought a whole lot about the game, I just showed up to skim what I missed and make a joke or two thus I haven’t expanded or developed any real thoughts to share. I’ve been extremely busy even by my own standards of being busy almost constantly so yeah. I am heading to the airport in a couple hours so while I’m there I’ll have some time to make more thorough thoughts

Off the cuff though that Dex vote on me seems pretty bad, I highly doubt he has any memory of my scum meta being that I lurk since that isn’t even really a thing and that seems like he was hopping on an easy vote without having to really explain it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

I too would vote SNG

For their lack of presence or did the one post with the taste vote really rub you the wrong way?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hal Insandenza posted:

For their lack of presence or did the one post with the taste vote really rub you the wrong way?

Oh you did say you didn’t like the shop post, that one seemed pretty innocent to me though

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Tom Tucker posted:

Getting a chance to dig in today here's some early thoughts.

Shellception reads town to me. If scum can hand out boons the immediate instinct would be to hand it to themselves thus a voluntary early soft-claim feels townie. Contorting yourself I can imagine scum who would volunteer this to appear townie or some sort of role which requires them to deliver "boons" outside the scum group but these contortions are uncomfortable - a more probable explanation is Shell is playing it a bit fast and loose as a non-critical town role. Reads town to me.

In addition - Merk volunteering to be the "townie" for the boon reads townie to me as well. If we start from the idea that Shell is town then would scum immediately try to grab the boon? I lean towards scum being more hesitant. Receiving an unknown boon puts eyes on you, and you'd be expected to use it in a pro-town way, it opens up scum to more problems than it solves. If you imagine Shell is scum then you'd have to imagine this would be a coordinated double-scum move to offer a boon then ask for it which is too convoluted for day 1 in my view.

Thus I get good vibes from both Shell and Merk.

Retro Futurist is pinging me but only slightly. The initial post throwing suspicion on Grandi then coming back and voting for Grandi doesn't seem super genuine. However RF does draw attention to this by quoting themselves... I feel this could go both ways but the self-quote to escalate an earlier suspicion into a vote is just hitting my gut. I don't have a much better reason and don't feel too strongly.

B minus is pinging me as scum. Low-content posting, and posts that jump to strong conclusions without real justification (particularly the below which presumes the scum status of two people in a single read).

From there B minus says they read Grandi as scum before voting me. All sound and fury, not helpful, throwing suspicion everywhere, and inconsistent.

Other callouts include:

Sandnavyguy - trying to fly under the radar, the shop post feels super weird.
Taste - hoping for shop resolution to spark content defers blame from those not providing content (including them!)
Deadmeat5150 - throwing hands up early day 1 with "nothing is really jumping out at me", and vote on Grandi (sandi) reads forced onto a bandwagon.

Overall best gut right now is ##vote Bminus
Nice omgus

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hal Insandenza posted:

Oh you did say you didn’t like the shop post, that one seemed pretty innocent to me though

The general vibe is they're flying under the radar intentionally. Sort of a hypocritical thing for me to say since I haven't been around but what can ya do?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tom Tucker posted:

I too would vote SNG

Same

##vote SNG

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

No, don't vote SNG, I need my sand bretheren to survive or else this name change was a poor decision.
What's the point of being the only sand in the game, we travel in dunes to hide our numbers.

But for real, he's a lurker who didn't interact with the shop mechanic, is there more to it or is that what is getting everyone in a tizzy?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Sandicap posted:

But for real, he's a lurker who didn't interact with the shop mechanic, is there more to it or is that what is getting everyone in a tizzy?

Nah but worth a prod at least. Very rude to not join everyone in the suicide shop pact

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandicap posted:

No, don't vote SNG, I need my sand bretheren to survive or else this name change was a poor decision.
What's the point of being the only sand in the game, we travel in dunes to hide our numbers.

The spice must flow

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Why is everyone sand anyways?

Also there is zero chance of me being awake at 4am Friday.

Apologies for this OOC post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Why is everyone sand anyways?

Also there is zero chance of me being awake at 4am Friday.

Apologies for this OOC post.

This post feels weird.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

This post feels weird.

But not as weird as this post.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

merk posted:

But not as weird as this post.

Got a thing for feeling posts, huh?

Well, you do you.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

I'd go back to SNG as well. I was mostly joking, but choosing to avoid the shop definitely seems more like something scum would do than town. It's a little too self conscious

I was thinking about this a little while ago and came to pretty much the same conclusion.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Also it’s one thing to not go in the shop it’s another thing to performatively not go in the shop

Same doesn’t go backwards since going into the shop required a post

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandicap posted:

Wow what is this Hal erasure?
And yeah, sng was the only one not to go into the shop and then loudly declared it. Doesn’t feel like a town move

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Wow what is this Hal erasure?
And yeah, sng was the only one not to go into the shop and then loudly declared it. Doesn’t feel like a town move

Oh god, how did I forget Hal. I am ashamed.

But to the meat. Does it feel like a scum move?
Not going in the shop? Sure.
Loudly not going in the shop? Much less so.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sandicap posted:

Oh god, how did I forget Hal. I am ashamed.

But to the meat. Does it feel like a scum move?
Not going in the shop? Sure.
Loudly not going in the shop? Much less so.

You still feel that the strongest case in the game j's "Tobbs said bee was town"?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Nope, forgot I was still voting Tobbs.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Just think of me as lakehouse merk.

Big Game Sandicap.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Then who is scum?

Grandicap