Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The chief figure associated with writing the OC Bible was Zensunni too. It's from the future, that's one of the religions in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The existence of Zensunni implies the existence of rivals Zenshia.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He's been posting the same thing in all the Dune threads since the movie premiered. He has some kind of vested interest in letting everyone know he disliked the movie.

I can't imagine the thought process involved with bookmarking a thread on a movie you seriously dislike, then posting in the thread dozens of times to reiterate how absolutely terrible you think the film is. It's pretty wild.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is what Frank Herbert's failson thought too

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I can't imagine the thought process involved with bookmarking a thread on a movie you seriously dislike, then posting in the thread dozens of times to reiterate how absolutely terrible you think the film is. It's pretty wild.

Nah, I can totally see that and might do the same to have an interesting discussion about flaws in a film or how it could be improved. Or really even just to make fun of it.

Now constantly coming in with vague poo poo posts going, "I didn't like it because [blatantly false thing] and [thing that happened in a different movie] and [bullshit, vague platitude]," that doesn't make any god drat sense.

Like even if it's trolling, it's a long running and super low effort one.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Complications posted:

This is just Hollywood convention like where you can shoot arrows and stab longswords through platemail, like when Duncan takes some slashes directly to his armored chest and that kills him. The armor is there to telegraph that these are Serious Business Mooks and that's about it. Yes, obviously they should only be vulnerable at joints or whatever but nobody's got time for that level of choreography.

Most of Duncan's kill slices are to the neck, he uses the inertia and feedback responses of the shields to get them to drop their guards and then he slows down near the neck to slice them open. Also when he takes down the Harkonnen and hijacks the 'thopter they had dropped their shields so nothing fancy was required there.

I agree that there could have been better choreography for the knife fights but for the most part the kill moves made a certain amount of sense.

But on the topic of dress and stillsuits I got really annoyed that all the Fremen kept taking off their masks and hoods. It made sense so we could see people's faces the first time but when you're just watching a duel put your loving mask back on. You're walking out into the open desert and the sun is up? PUT YOUR loving MASKS ON JESUS CHRIST. We've seen Chani enough times, let's at least pretend how unforgiving the desert is if you don't wear your stillsuit properly

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I see you’ve never been to :tviv:.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

2house2fly posted:

The scale of the attack is basically unthinkable in this setting, for two reasons:

1)the Baron has all but bankrupted himself from the cost of getting ships and soldiers together for the assault, which is nigh unthinkable for an ancient noble house

2)the Baron is being aided by the Emperor, which is absolutely unthinkable for anyone because if the Emperor backs one noble house over another then all the other houses will start to get nervous of getting the same treatment. This is especially true of House Atreides, because the whole reason he wants them gone is that they're popular with the other houses.

Didn’t he blow something like 60 years of profits to pull off the attack? One thing that is also missing from the movie is that Leto sent suicide bombers to Giedi Prime, and they blew up the Baron’s spice reserves. Going from memory, this was supposed to help give them time before the inevitable attack.

He really is on the verge of ruin when they retake Dune.

Another thing to remember is that the Sardaukar were were disguised as Harkonnen soldiers in the books. They didn’t do this in the movies, probably for visual clarity, but the emperor is absolutely trying to hide his involvement.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Finally got around to watching this vid. Super cool, thanks for sharing. The realism of the shots and the use of lighting gave the film a very grounded feeling.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The United States posted:

This is what Frank Herbert's failson thought too

And I'm sure he handled it in a respectful and insightful way.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Finally got around to watching this vid. Super cool, thanks for sharing. The realism of the shots and the use of lighting gave the film a very grounded feeling.

It provides a good counter argument to everyone complaining that they didn't crank the saturation sliders to 11 to make it look like Fury Road.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Good interview:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/dune-spoiler-interview-denis-villeneuve-ending-paul-dreams-and-part-two/

quote:

Feyd-Rautha, the Harkonnen heir – might he be in Part Two?

Definitely. That's a choice that I personally brought on. There was enough characters that were introduced in this first part, and it will be more elegant to keep Feyd for Part Two. It will be definitely a very, very important character in the second part.

quote:

I was trying to keep mystery alive as much as possible. We don't show the Emperor, we don't see the Spacing Guild Navigators. There's a lot of characters that are mentioned or that are in the background that we don't see right away. I tried to keep all the space-travelling as mysterious as possible, like almost bringing some kind of mysticism or sacred relationship with that part of the movie. Everything involving space is just evocated and very mysterious.

quote:

The Heighliners that are used by the Spacing Guild are ships. We went through a long period of design. When we came [up] with that shape, I knew we had the right one. It feels like an echo to the worm, and at the same time it feels like it could be seen as a stargate. It's like the system that [the Imperium] are using to travel and to bridge space and time is… I like again to not explain it and try to stay in a zone of [the] unknown. I think it's absolutely beautiful. And that's where we took a little bit of liberty from the book, where it has a feeling that it could be something that is folding space in a way, that you can see it as almost as a stargate. But I like to keep it [a] mystery right now. It will be more permanent and explained in Part Two.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 18, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm psyched already

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

PureLandShia

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Has anyone in this thread seen the movie and not read any of the books or seen the previous filmed versions?

I really liked Dunc, but I have a feeling it would be almost incomprehensible to someone coming in completely blind.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I watched it initially with a group of four other people that had not read the book. They all really enjoyed the film and basically said it had weird elements but they didn't have trouble following the plot at all.

Second watch was with a larger group three or four had read the book two or three had not. Only one of the book readers in the second group said he thought it was a bit overhyped, still good but not great. Everyone else really enjoyed it and no one reported being confused as to what was happening.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AFewBricksShy posted:

Has anyone in this thread seen the movie and not read any of the books or seen the previous filmed versions?

I really liked Dunc, but I have a feeling it would be almost incomprehensible to someone coming in completely blind.

I watched it with my family and they got what was happening, especially in the scene where paul freaks out over what is going to happen in the future when he continues on the path he is on.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you make a cursory reading through this thread, you will find multiple accounts of people going in blind or with people that did not read the book. For the record, I know 2 people who went in not knowing the book and did fine on understanding who is who and what is going on.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

Didn’t he blow something like 60 years of profits to pull off the attack? One thing that is also missing from the movie is that Leto sent suicide bombers to Giedi Prime, and they blew up the Baron’s spice reserves. Going from memory, this was supposed to help give them time before the inevitable attack.

He really is on the verge of ruin when they retake Dune.

Not only is this not shown in the movie, it explicitly didn't happen, considering the Baron's comment at the end about how it was time to start selling their spice reserves, but slowly to not crash the market. So it's less "He was on the verge of ruin" and more "The CEO made a costly investment that wouldn't have sunk the company, but would have put them behind financially for a few years if it didn't pay off". As it is... 60 years of profits that they can probably recoup in a handful of years considering they're the only supplier of Spice and... whoops, SOMEHOW all of the existing infrastructure was damaged or destroyed, guess House Harkonnen will just have to increase the price until they can get fully operational again.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

AFewBricksShy posted:

I saw it without having read the book or seen any of the filmed versions, and even avoided watching the trailer. Same deal for the two people I saw it with, and we didn't have problems following the plot or understanding who characters were. The visions were probably the only bit that was a little hard to follow, but I'm pretty sure that was intentional, and there was enough context sprinkled throughout the film that we at least had an idea of what they meant.

Was there a specific element you thought would be particularly incomprehensible?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Baronash posted:

I saw it without having read the book or seen any of the filmed versions, and even avoided watching the trailer. Same deal for the two people I saw it with, and we didn't have problems following the plot or understanding who characters were. The visions were probably the only bit that was a little hard to follow, but I'm pretty sure that was intentional, and there was enough context sprinkled throughout the film that we at least had an idea of what they meant.

Was there a specific element you thought would be particularly incomprehensible?

Did the movie do a good job explaining who the bene gesserit were and what their plans were? Was the future spice = modern oil explained? I don't remember if the movie glossed over these parts or if they were explained. I should probably re-watch it before it leaves HBO max.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AFewBricksShy posted:

Did the movie do a good job explaining who the bene gesserit were and what their plans were? Was the future spice = modern oil explained? I don't remember if the movie glossed over these parts or if they were explained. I should probably re-watch it before it leaves HBO max.

yes and yes. My mom thought that it was a bit too on the nose with the baron rising out of the puddle and wanting more Income.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You're not going to get a lot of Lore from the movie compared to the book, but the plot itself is pretty simple and you get enough that you can dismiss any unexplained element with "for Science Fiction reasons". Like why exactly Paul can see the future isn't clear, but the Bene Gesserit have been trying to create someone who can see the future for a long time, so for Science Fiction reasons clearly they've succeeded.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I felt like they did a great job of doling out the world building stuff gradually as the movie went on so that by the end I definitely knew the deal with the Bene Gesserit and their whole dynamic with the various characters in the story. But there wasn't like, one big awkward exposition scene where it was all spelled out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

AFewBricksShy posted:

I think it's the opposite! On average it seems like people who have a lot of exposure to the books and lynch film have more complaints than people who went in blind.

most of the reasons I came away disappointed were because things I wanted to see didn't appear, or because things were represented in a way I thought was disappointing compared to how I imagined them

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I went with a friend who had no knowledge of Dune and he appreciated that they didn't explain everything since it made the world more interesting and intriguing. He was also a big Star Wars fan and picked up in a lot of the influences from Dune right away.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Aces High posted:

Most of Duncan's kill slices are to the neck, he uses the inertia and feedback responses of the shields to get them to drop their guards and then he slows down near the neck to slice them open. Also when he takes down the Harkonnen and hijacks the 'thopter they had dropped their shields so nothing fancy was required there.

I agree that there could have been better choreography for the knife fights but for the most part the kill moves made a certain amount of sense.

But on the topic of dress and stillsuits I got really annoyed that all the Fremen kept taking off their masks and hoods. It made sense so we could see people's faces the first time but when you're just watching a duel put your loving mask back on. You're walking out into the open desert and the sun is up? PUT YOUR loving MASKS ON JESUS CHRIST. We've seen Chani enough times, let's at least pretend how unforgiving the desert is if you don't wear your stillsuit properly

For a planet where 'scorching heat' is the prevailing temperature, there was surprisingly little sweating going on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Baronash posted:

I think the only bits I hoped people get were that the Lisan al-Gaib was created by the Bene Gesserit, and all the Holy War stuff that results. Because I feel like they kind of rushed over the "sowing superstitions" conversation in the trailer.

Polo-Rican posted:

I think it's the opposite! On average it seems like people who have a lot of exposure to the books and lynch film have more complaints than people who went in blind.

most of the reasons I came away disappointed were because things I wanted to see didn't appear, or because things were represented in a way I thought was disappointing compared to how I imagined them

I can definitely see people having this reaction, and I think it comes down to which bits you considered more important. I would have liked to see Jessica sparring with Thufir, or Leto kicking up a poo poo storm at dinner, but I'm perfectly happy to have traded them for more of Paul's vision and his panic attack in the stilltent.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

Did the movie do a good job explaining who the bene gesserit were and what their plans were?

The Bene Gesserit actually had more exposition than, I think, any other group in the film.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Was the future spice = modern oil explained?

They noted that it was essential for space travel. I guess I didn't strictly make the spice=oil connection while I was watching the movie though. I think that's a situation where, to me at least, oil represents a existential threat rather than a local conflict driver, which was probably not the prevailing view of it in 1965.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think the only bits I hoped people get were that the Lisan al-Gaib was created by the Bene Gesserit

They were intentionally vague on what measured the Bene Gesserit had used with the Fremen. The impression I formed was that the Lisan al Gaib was a wholly Fremen myth and the Bene Gesserit had just been priming the pump for the Fremen to accept Paul as the prophesied leader. That's a cool twist though.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Re: the palaces, ships and overall set design having this brutalist, concrete, and sterile feel.

It's hard to explain, but I think the set design fits with what today's audiences expect from the distant future. Although I would've liked to have seen the Harkonnen decadence and opulence that's described in the books, I don't know if it would've worked as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I remember in the book, the Bene Gesserit have spent hundreds of years sowing a "chosen one" prophecy among a bunch of different cultures, so that when the chosen one they're trying to create comes along a ton of people will be primed to accept him

E: they've also helped shape a bunch of mythologies/cultures so that if a Bene Gesserit needs help they'll be able to get it from the local tribes more easily

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There are specific lines of dialogue that are talking about the Bene Gesserit's schemes to foment a messianic myth throughout the galaxy. Jessica doesn't literally say, "Yo Revvy Mama, how's it going with making the Fremens think my baby boy's space jesus?" but it's not exactly more subtle. It's overt text in the film, not a subtle thing, and you'd pretty much have to leave the room to miss it.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

AFewBricksShy posted:

I haven't read the book but I saw the Lynch movie ages ago (although I don't think it helped because I thought Bautista was the Sting character the whole time).

I didn't find the narrative incomprehensible. It's pretty straightforward. I could see someone getting hung up on the lack of detailed exposition but I enjoyed the feeling of being tossed into a world that didn't feel the need to explain itself to me. I enjoyed it more for lack of scenes like Duke Leto prattling on about Atreides history over a montage of their monuments or whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I revisited the Lynch Dune after the Villeneuve Dune and I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion but they both rule.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I revisited the Lynch Dune after the Villeneuve Dune and I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion but they both rule.

It has its fans. It could be because of nostalgia or it’s own wonky weirdness or Lynch or all three.

It had potential and fell short but admirable ambition. You can’t even start a Dune project without ambition.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah this is me: I've read the books multiple times and am a huge fan of the 1984 movie for what it is. My only complaints about the new movie are the stuff that was left out (would like more explaining Mentats, Dr. Yueh backstory, etc.) but everything that was shown was absolutely amazing.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Rewatched the Lynch Dune last night for the first time in 20+ years. Until they get into the desert I really enjoyed it, and man I am a sucker for the aesthetic.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Re: the palaces, ships and overall set design having this brutalist, concrete, and sterile feel.

It's hard to explain, but I think the set design fits with what today's audiences expect from the distant future. Although I would've liked to have seen the Harkonnen decadence and opulence that's described in the books, I don't know if it would've worked as well.

I feel like i know what you mean and i like to think that the flamboyant lynch baron is a reflection of 80s culture, however wrong that is, it just lets me imagine david lee roth in a fatsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I've been thinking about some of the stuff I've seen people say about Chalamet and Zendaya and it made me realise a problem they had with the miniseries as well, Paul is supposed to be a bit of a poo poo since he's a) the heir of House Atreides b) been trained as a mentat and in the Bene Gesserit ways, something that isn't done and c) he's a teenager. It's tricky to have a character like that be relatable and likable to the audience.

Then there's Chani, who isn't in the first part of the book except as someone Paul keeps seeing visions of and we only see her when she sneaks up on him like we see in every visual adaptation but that sure doesn't leave a lot of stuff for anyone to do. I appreciate the little bit they had her do at the beginning since other than that she would've had, what, a paragraph of dialogue? I wonder what reviews would've been like if the Lynch film was a two parter and all we saw of Sean Young would've been the "tell me of your homeworld, Usul" visions and when she introduces herself with chrysknife in hand