Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

dog nougat posted:

drat, Singapore is really a terrible map.

Every map is awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like the maps, but I think I have grown to be annoyed at renewal and somewhat annoyed at the snow and ice map. The rest are fine for me anyway, I kind of like the port map.

If you run Paik and someone snipes you they get 3d spotted and killed pretty fast, so it takes care of campers in annoying locations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hated the maps at first. Then I got better and now I don't die instantly in 3 seconds all the time, which has made them a lot more enjoyable. But the last points on many maps in breakthrough are ridiculously stupid. There are multiple maps where the last points are located on scyscrapers only accessible through elevators. So you'll have 60 defenders camping the elevators for 400+ tickets until the attacking team loses. Oh, and the defending team can call in tanks on top of the roof as well. I have seen those maps won by the attackers only twice so far

This can simply not have been playtested properly

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah the maps are garbage, I’ve played BF long enough that I mostly managed to avoid instakills on spawn by judicious lying down and I’d say I was first place in my squad 9/10 games I played, it’s just the flow is so baffling and poorly paced that it never feels like there are 128 people outside of the very beginning of the match. I never once saw a firefight with more than ten or fifteen people on both sides so it’s like, why even bother with these big numbers if the maps aren’t designed to facilitate them at all?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Collapsing Farts posted:

I hated the maps at first. Then I got better and now I don't die instantly in 3 seconds all the time, which has made them a lot more enjoyable. But the last points on many maps in breakthrough are ridiculously stupid. There are multiple maps where the last points are located on scyscrapers only accessible through elevators. So you'll have 60 defenders camping the elevators for 400+ tickets until the attacking team loses. Oh, and the defending team can call in tanks on top of the roof as well. I have seen those maps won by the attackers only twice so far

This can simply not have been playtested properly

Yeah you can tell the play tests were far more organized. The roofs need a few extra ways up. Maybe some more zip lines or something. Does anyone here have the SOFLAM unlocked yet? If you can use it from heli at distance and have a bunch of rockets on the ground it might be an easy safe way to clear out the roof tanks but I'm only level 35 or so.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
I need people to play with. Is there a discord with people squading up regularly?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DrBox posted:

Yeah you can tell the play tests were far more organized. The roofs need a few extra ways up. Maybe some more zip lines or something.

Or just change it so the capture point extends to the whole building. So basically you have to capture / defend the lobby and the roof.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

mexi posted:

I need people to play with. Is there a discord with people squading up regularly?

I don't go on there since I've usually got a full squad but I've seen this discord shared a few times. https://discord.gg/QqApB5kW

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Or just change it so the capture point extends to the whole building. So basically you have to capture / defend the lobby and the roof.

Something like this could work.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

hello internet posted:

That nvidia driver update has made this like playing a different game. It has increased my fps by at least 25%

Come on AMD, this is the first card I've bought from you. Don't let me down.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

bad news

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

If nothing else, trying this on EA Play for a week encouraged me to reinstall BF1 on my Playstation. Movement and gunplay feel loads nicer, and the tone seems less... cute? about war. Sensible map flows. No problems finding matches, either.

Hopefully things get good and patched up in a few months. :shrug:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ynglaur posted:

AMD already released their Battlefield specific launch driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-11-2

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m legitimately sad at the people mentioning going back to previous Battlefields and not including 5, which is actually a great game (now) that has a few major flaws that’ll never be fixed because Dice completely abandoned it.

I think that’s one of the things that disappoints me the most as a lot of the issues regarding bf2042 were working perfectly fine in the previous installments and why would you abandon all the improvements that have been made over time.

I’ve been playing around with portal logic editor more than the actual game modes the past few weeks and while it’s a neat concept it needs a lot more tools and I really don’t see them putting much effort into supporting it. You can hack together game functions and I was working on a “push the payload” type mode but the level of guessing and workarounds I had to keep coming up with just got me to the point where I had to ask myself why I’m spending so much time on something that’ll never be played when I could be learning an actual programming language.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, I can't off hand think of anything worth while and I've tried just about everything. Ironfront 44, Squad, Red Orchestra, Hell Let Loose, Post Scriptum, etc, etc. These games all have the same various problems, they look ugly and they play like absolute poo poo. So basically they're selling mods for ARMA. Except Red Orchestra which I will admit to being significantly different enough to justify its existence as a stand alone game, although it too plays like poo poo.

I think Bad Company 2 was so fondly remembered because it was when DICE realized that whatever you're giving one player, you're giving to the other 30+ players. When you're giving one player a stack of launchable explosives with ridiculous kill power and the ability to sprint at 20mph to instantly quick-scoping someone, then you're giving everyone the ability to do that. Bad Company 2 has things like hefty gun recoil and deliberate movement, which means that players aren't running around playing the CoD meta on maps that aren't designed for the CoD meta. I think 2042 is the first BF game in a while that DICE has actually put some game design thought into, but the game itself just feels hollow in some way.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Yeah the first try using the refund option was denied, Asking with the I have a question option worked.

This worked for me too! 12 hours played and refunded as soon as I choose the "I have a question" option and told them how broken the game.

Bought twice, refunded twice, lol.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

DrBox posted:

This video will be considered pure propaganda to some in this thread but I think it's got a lot of cool things to show off. I can't wait until the real 2042 when my computer will be powerful enough to run this game at ultra settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uorKKmPAVU4

The video exists because the game is bad and even Jackfrags is having trouble making actual good content for it, which should be a huge red flag

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fart Car '97 posted:

The video exists because the game is bad and even Jackfrags is having trouble making actual good content for it, which should be a huge red flag
He streamed for several hours today, but sure, he makes videos like this for all BF games, people are really mad at this game, Jesus.

The balls are enabled again and seem like FPS has a pretty massive boost for people.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 18, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cyks posted:

You can hack together game functions and I was working on a “push the payload” type mode but the level of guessing and workarounds I had to keep coming up with just got me to the point where I had to ask myself why I’m spending so much time on something that’ll never be played when I could be learning an actual programming language.

It actually seems like a fairly complete language, my only critique is that for loops don't seem implemented and I've never really enjoyed the visual programming style although I see it being useful for people who might be intimidated by terminals and don't want to deal with syntax. I would play around with it more, but the things I would want to do to mod this game such as playing around with objective placements, gun values, and loadouts aren't possible so...

edit:

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I think Bad Company 2 was so fondly remembered because it was when DICE realized that whatever you're giving one player, you're giving to the other 30+ players.

Honestly, I think BF2 was the apex of the franchise and everything has gone down hill since. Yea, the base game doesn't hold up, but the love, care, and attention to detail various mods put into their modifications made that game shine on for years after. Like they bent that engine over it's back and anything you've seen in Battlefield since then was done years prior and in some cases better, except for 3D spotting, building destruction, and levelution. Like some mods basically supported far more than 64 players in their servers, although the client/server architecture breaks down when you get north of 100 players.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 18, 2021

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

This can simply not have been playtested

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Rusty posted:

He streamed for several hours today, but sure, he makes videos like this for all BF games, people are really mad at this game, Jesus.

And enough to somehow manage to return a game twice in a single week. Good lord lol

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

It actually seems like a fairly complete language, my only critique is that for loops don't seem implemented and I've never really enjoyed the visual programming style although I see it being useful for people who might be intimidated by terminals and don't want to deal with syntax. I would play around with it more, but the things I would want to do to mod this game such as playing around with objective placements, gun values, and loadouts aren't possible so...

Some of these aren’t too difficult to do, such as forcing a specific loadout onto a specific player or character. The biggest issue is there’s no way to edit the map such as adding a flag or setting a visible boundary for capture zones so while I could configure an AI who is unable to do any actions but can’t die who teleports around the map and standing within a certain range adds points (basically a king of the hill mode) it’s a lot of effort and isn’t really supported.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Can you make a Portal mode that is all Helicopters, or all tanks? I couldn't figure it out. I just wanted to try and make a TDM with nothing but endless helicopters.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Fart Car '97 posted:

He's got 10 hours of content uploaded this week for 2042 and the official global release for the game is tomorrow. I think he'll be fine. I get there's a few of you here who are disappointed and that sucks. It's time to get a refund and move on. Check back when season 1 comes out.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Defenestrategy posted:

I would play around with it more, but the things I would want to do to mod this game such as playing around with objective placements, gun values, and loadouts aren't possible so...

Wait, really? These seem like the main things I'd care about. That's incredibly disappointing.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Rusty posted:

Can you make a Portal mode that is all Helicopters, or all tanks? I couldn't figure it out. I just wanted to try and make a TDM with nothing but endless helicopters.

Nope.
You can increase vehicle spawn speeds and set how they are selected (call in, map screen or spawn on ground) but no option to increase number available.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just unlocked the auto shotgun :allears:

I want this one so much, also the 50 round mag on the SCAR would make that worth picking but it takes like 280 kills

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Mega Comrade posted:

AMD already released their Battlefield specific launch driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-11-2

drat. Guess I'm not getting the FPS bump to which I've become accustomed on nVidia for the past 20 years. Not sure if this counts as :saddowns: or :qq:.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So realized last night, if you get kicked, you can't rejoin your friends unless their squad has space.

DICE will put you in queue, when a spot opens up the map starts loading in. At that point, DICE checks if there is room in your squad, sees that it is full, and kicks you back to the menu with no message. Since there isn't a way to create a new squad, your teammates in game can't create an empty squad for you.

If there's a way to set a squad to private it might behoove you to do that when you all join.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

DrBox posted:

He's got 10 hours of content uploaded this week for 2042 and the official global release for the game is tomorrow. I think he'll be fine. I get there's a few of you here who are disappointed and that sucks. It's time to get a refund and move on. Check back when season 1 comes out.

A few lol

Majority of the people hate a lot of what this game is and represents, even just in this thread on this dead forum.

Yeah sure, there are some cool BATTLEFIELD moments but honestly you shouldn't be so keen about this 80$ being huge failure and a bunch of steps back from what made battlefield. Sure maybe they'll turn it around down the road but you constantly champion this game like nothing is really wrong except a few quirks here and there. It's so drat goofy man, you like the game great. :dice: is extremely good at changing stuff that works great, every game since BC2 has been like that and I loved BF3/4.

I want nothing more for this game to be great but the base core of this game is absolute trash. Maybe they'll funnel all of their attention into PORTAL MODE but that's just a cheap cop out and I'm sure will be pay walled eventually once the sales slow down.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
The game is fun and dumb and I'll be playing something else a month from now. It's only game why you haff to be mad?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So realized last night, if you get kicked, you can't rejoin your friends unless their squad has space.

DICE will put you in queue, when a spot opens up the map starts loading in. At that point, DICE checks if there is room in your squad, sees that it is full, and kicks you back to the menu with no message. Since there isn't a way to create a new squad, your teammates in game can't create an empty squad for you.

If there's a way to set a squad to private it might behoove you to do that when you all join.

being able to change squads would go a long way in making this game feel friendlier, because being stuck in a squad that's all snipers and/or all snipers and a guy in an attack helicopter completely bones you if you want to play anything other than another useless sniper or a gunner/spotter. just let us switch squads or kick people or something idk

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah and honestly with Xbox Game Pass Cloud now on the systems itself (well in Beta), I don't even need to keep BF1/BF4 et al even installed and can just swap between them easily.

But honestly I'm fine with the $80 I paid with G2A to get the Gold Edition. I've already had a ton of fun just dicking around and I figure once I get a chance to play with more goons on voice chat, it will be a blast again.

Anyone from the BF1 PC Goon Squad remember the time I baited some obnoxious teen into going on a rant about Jews and then we all mass reported him? Fun times fun times.

Really though it was an amazing time and honestly I'm so happy for crossplay this time around.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

DrBox posted:

He's got 10 hours of content uploaded this week for 2042 and the official global release for the game is tomorrow.

Yeah I mean you're gonna put out the amount of content you're contractually obliged to, yes

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cyks posted:

Nope.
You can increase vehicle spawn speeds and set how they are selected (call in, map screen or spawn on ground) but no option to increase number available.
Wait didn't the portal trailer show stuff like all jeeps vs all c4 robots? Can that not be done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAZNDkC9lnA&t=74s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4qWMcQfOCc&t=118s

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

has anyone found use for the level action? just seems like a sniper with slightly better rate of fire, but the SVT does that even better as far as I can tell

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Frog Act posted:

being able to change squads would go a long way in making this game feel friendlier, because being stuck in a squad that's all snipers and/or all snipers and a guy in an attack helicopter completely bones you if you want to play anything other than another useless sniper or a gunner/spotter. just let us switch squads or kick people or something idk

You can change squad. Go into the squads menu, right click your name, select 'change squad' and it randomly puts you in another one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a way I can just practice flying choppers to get a hang of the controls without joining a match and having to wait for one chance in a 30 minute game, then immediately crashing into a building and killing everyone aboard?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a way I can just practice flying choppers to get a hang of the controls without joining a match and having to wait for one chance in a 30 minute game, then immediately crashing into a building and killing everyone aboard?

play solo mode. i've never seen an easy level AI grab a vehicle

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The United States posted:

Wait didn't the portal trailer show stuff like all jeeps vs all c4 robots? Can that not be done?

I mean technically you could it wouldn't be that hard to code, I don't know if you can code the EOD robot to score points on death only because everytime I've killed someone with an EOD robot the score board looks jank so it might not be coded correctly? You just won't spawn everyone as a jeep and spawn everyone as EOD Bot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I really wish that Titan mode would make a comeback. I feel like the only person whose favorite battlefield is 2142