Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Murderion posted:

Zero tolerance policy?

No, sexual harassment!

:O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Murderion posted:

Zero tolerance policy?

No, sexual harassment!

Lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gas

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's not as though there is sworn court testimony from the cabin attendant he harassed, or as if he himself admitted, in public, to having threatened to kill an employee.

Hey, denial is working just fine for other men in power.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Doesn't Kotick get like $300 million if he's fired? What the gently caress is wrong with rich people

I can't understand how this guy could be that critical to Blizzard's success in the eyes of the board, too. Blizzard has these massive IPs, and more money than god, they can afford to clean house and hire the best talent out there.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's the funny part in all this, he's not lmao. Any shmuck could sit in his office and go "Ok, the things that are making money? Make more of those. And the things that aren't making money? Let's change or get rid of those." Bonus is that you could find someone to do that WITHOUT assaulting anyone, too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hint: The board, like most of the senior staff at Actiblizzard, think nothing all that bad happened.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Shareholders love mass layoffs that spike a company’s share price at the expense of its long term health.

And Bobby is their hatchet man.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

Doesn't Kotick get like $300 million if he's fired? What the gently caress is wrong with rich people

Potentially. He has to prove it was a wrongful dismissal among other things.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

smoobles posted:

I can't understand how this guy could be that critical to Blizzard's success in the eyes of the board, too. Blizzard has these massive IPs, and more money than god, they can afford to clean house and hire the best talent out there.
It's not about Blizzard's success, it's about the value of the stock. A stock that's far more dependent on King than Blizzard, if it's based on anything real, because King makes more money. (at least according to the numbers people presented a few months back.) Or, as someone pointed out, Kotick might have a say in whether they remain the CEO somewhere else. He might be costing them a bit of money here, but that's a small price to pay for not losing your own cushy CEO position.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hint: The board, like most of the senior staff at Actiblizzard, think nothing all that bad happened.
Yeah, it's not like the stock cratered or anything. Getting rid of Kotick not only means possibly paying out 300 million, it also has the potential to frighten investors, all for the chance of maybe getting someone as qualified* to run the company? That's all ignoring the fact that these people are, well, people, and make friends with each other. They might not recognize 99.99% of people as people, but they want their golf club/pedo ring pals taken care off.

*You know, connected/amoral

yook posted:

Shareholders love mass layoffs that spike a company’s share price at the expense of its long term health.

And Bobby is their hatchet man.
That's definitely also something to keep in mind. One of the most effective ways to make money when you're rich is ruining successful businesses, because capital can flow almost unimpeded and you can start the practice over immediately after making off like a bandit from your last venture. Making Blizzard a great gaming company again is not on the agenda, if it happened it would be entirely on accident.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've worked in the industry for almost a decade and its always been bad. Things are better now compared to when I started, but the bar is so extremely low that it's not saying much. I personally know of famous studio heads that were involved in harassment, covered it up, or lead to the deaths/suicides of employees. The things pulled in European and Asian studios would make you gasp even compared to the things you hear about in the USA.

In my opinion this exists in corporate culture anywhere, but the games industry has always been so extremely exploitative of its workers that it is many times compounded for us. For context, the industry used to self-publish statistics about quality of life, but stopped because it was only getting worse every year. We don't even know how bad it is anymore. Ontop of harassment there are long hours, underinflated salaries, low stability, and often requires relocation every ~4 years.

We need unions, fair pay, fair hours, and to raise the price of games. I doubt any of this will happen in our hell world.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

raise the price of games.

??????

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I believe the assumption is that that money would go to the employees, instead of simply inflating profit margins

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So far as I can tell there has literally never been a time where raising prices ever went to benefit employees, outside of completely employee owned companies.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bellular, a WoW/FF14 content guy, put out a couple of videos about this new drama that's added some interesting context I was not aware of.

He did some research on the Playstation guy calling out Activision. Turns out that Playstation is AKB's number one console (mainly for Call of Duty), and that they have in the recent past refused to do business with companies found guilty of gross misconduct. Sony apparently has a pretty decent reputation regarding harassment in the workplace - lovely for crunch, according to Bellular, but their current leadership seems to have been working hard on issues of harassment in the workplace in the last few years.

He doesn't think it's likely that Sony's going to go to Activision and say "No more Call of Duty on Playstation until you sort this poo poo out" but it is a possibility and that if Activision is sane they're going to take Sony calling them out very seriously.

If Sony is trying to take a committed stand for better treatment in the workplace, even if only with regards to sexual harassment, this could be a good thing for the industry. If anything actually comes of this and it's not just talk, of course.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/wuffles/status/1461085981159923712?s=20

I mean sure a major somebody in the industry giving a poo poo would be great but if they can't manage to clean their own house well

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 18, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If only Reagan hadn't deregulated the games industry

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
that's one hell of a shot across the bow

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1461420439004188673?s=20

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

I believe the assumption is that that money would go to the employees, instead of simply inflating profit margins

LOL, well, that sure would be a loving WILD assumption to make, Games already make enough bank for these companies to be paying a fair and competitive wage

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I mean let's be real, it's just Sony and MS taking the opportunity to try and milk better deals out of Activision for CoD crap while they have bad press hammering them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the Xbox guy is saying he's having second thoughts about wanting more Call of Duty games on the platform which is a pretty notable development.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
100% posturing

Though both MS and Sony have tightened up a lot about quality of life and harassment, this means nothing unless they put their money where their mouths are and refuse to publish ATVIs upcoming games

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Chillgamesh posted:

I mean let's be real, it's just Sony and MS taking the opportunity to try and milk better deals out of Activision for CoD crap while they have bad press hammering them.

It's probably also partly for show to their own employees who may be considering going somewhere else. Games aren't immune to the whole 'Great Resignation' thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
S&P 500 has risen 15% over the past 6mo, ATVI has fallen 35%. I'm not saying that they're definitely definitely going to do something, but it's also inaccurate to say this whole thing isn't impacting the stock price, and this latest round of accusations isn't centered on blizzard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chillgamesh posted:

We can hope it improves things a bit,. Not because of anyone acting in good faith, but because ABK's investors do not want the company to be pressured by other companies like this.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

stev posted:

A spokesperson acknowledged and admitted that he threated to have someone killed. :psyduck:

like we said, no evidence. nothing we can do, sorry. our hands are tied

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The latest stuff goes beyond Blizzard but it seems unlikely journalists would've been digging without the Blizzard centered shitstorm.

I've been continuously surprised that Activision hasn't long ago gutted Blizzard and shifted the IPs onto more pliable studios. They keep their CoD factories on a short leash and while Blizzard games make good money when they are released they also blow more money not making games than any other studio I can think of. I don't see the cut throat corporate benefit to leaving Blizzard as they are for so long and now that they are dragging down the more profitable arms of Activision I can't imagine why they wouldn't gut them.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The latest stuff goes beyond Blizzard but it seems unlikely journalists would've been digging without the Blizzard centered shitstorm.

I've been continuously surprised that Activision hasn't long ago gutted Blizzard and shifted the IPs onto more pliable studios. They keep their CoD factories on a short leash and while Blizzard games make good money when they are released they also blow more money not making games than any other studio I can think of. I don't see the cut throat corporate benefit to leaving Blizzard as they are for so long and now that they are dragging down the more profitable arms of Activision I can't imagine why they wouldn't gut them.

i mean, i think we're watching the gutting happen in real time

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

The employee that killed herself wasn't from Blizzard as far as I know, it was just mentioned in the first public announcement and assumed it was Blizzard as it was beside the Cosby Suite stuff. It wasn't specified anywhere what company she was in. Blizzard has been taking the front of it, Treyarch and so saying nothing for obvious reasons.

And Activision has been gutting Blizzard, they got rid of Blizzard's E-sports and QA division with the last layoffs. The dev team will be the last to go, when you hear about their Customer Support being downsized, that will be the last days of Blizzard.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

happyhippy posted:

The employee that killed herself wasn't from Blizzard as far as I know, it was just mentioned in the first public announcement and assumed it was Blizzard as it was beside the Cosby Suite stuff. It wasn't specified anywhere what company she was in.

And Activision has been gutting Blizzard, they got rid of Blizzard's E-sports and QA division with the last layoffs. The dev team will be the last to go, when you hear about their Customer Support being downsized, that will be the last days of Blizzard.

Yeah the gutting has really been the waves of really massive layoffs going back to I think 2017 (might've started in 2018). It's very much an underway thing, if not already a fait accompli.

iirc the employee suicide was reported as an activision employee and the exec was activision as well.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
they didnt even do it through layoffs, iirc they cut profit share for senior employees at some point which is aroudn when you saw the exodus of like ben brode and stuff. that might just be hearsay tho, but a lot of people explicitly quit around that time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bliz has been gutted over the years. The gentle corporate squeezing that starts after an acquisition happens and continues until its a clenched first with all blood squeezed out of the stone.

FuzzySlippers posted:

The games business likes to mine for gold. For every project that makes money every year some is taken and 'invested' into more creative things that you hope turns out to be the next big thing. I would wager this one reason they still have some creative freedom, though they certainly make tons of money from their 'always on games' so its not like they're hemorrhaging money. Also they haven't really taken any big risks lately so even those times might be behind us. They took 12 years to publish Diablo 3, after all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

anime was right posted:

they didnt even do it through layoffs, iirc they cut profit share for senior employees at some point which is aroudn when you saw the exodus of like ben brode and stuff. that might just be hearsay tho, but a lot of people explicitly quit around that time.

For the management, maybe, unhappy they can't get that third house with this year's pay.
For a lot of the lower staff living from month to month, it was lol gtfo.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

(might've started in 2018).

That the one Bobby was gleeful in the investors call that profits were up when 800 were sacked hours earlier.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BULBASAUR posted:

Bliz has been gutted over the years. The gentle corporate squeezing that starts after an acquisition happens and continues until its a clenched first with all blood squeezed out of the stone.

Yeah they're killing the studio brand so they can have the IPs at a discount

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I saw Blizzard just hired a bunch of people :shrug: I'm just surprised they don't literally shutter it and restart with a structure that Activision controls completely ala their CoD factories.

Doesn't Activision already own the IPs? What's stopping them from just tossing Overwatch 2 to a less dysfunctional studio who can just crank out a shooter without spinning in circles for years? Its not like they care about any online reactions considering the state of things

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah they're killing the studio brand so they can have the IPs at a discount

They're making the IPs worthless in the process.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

stev posted:

They're making the IPs worthless in the process.

I don't think that's true. They might have to time them out for a bit but nostalgia and name recognition do a ton of lifting in the games industry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

tracecomplete posted:

I don't think that's true. They might have to time them out for a bit but nostalgia and name recognition do a ton of lifting in the games industry.

This. Back before all hell broke loose, I used to say that it would even be easy for Blizzard to win back much of the goodwill that they lost. Show some performative humility, do a big song and dance about listening to players and getting back on track, show a clear roadmap for the future, and a lot of people would have instantly given them the benefit of the doubt.

I think one of the fundamental problems here is Blizzard's absolute unwillingness, with regards to their internal culture or their game design, to take the L and go "My bad, here's how we're going to do better."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cythereal posted:

This. Back before all hell broke loose, I used to say that it would even be easy for Blizzard to win back much of the goodwill that they lost. Show some performative humility, do a big song and dance about listening to players and getting back on track, show a clear roadmap for the future, and a lot of people would have instantly given them the benefit of the doubt.

I think one of the fundamental problems here is Blizzard's absolute unwillingness, with regards to their internal culture or their game design, to take the L and go "My bad, here's how we're going to do better."

well they have said that repeatedly, and they've said it repeatedly because they have lied every time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

BULBASAUR posted:

I've worked in the industry for almost a decade and its always been bad. Things are better now compared to when I started, but the bar is so extremely low that it's not saying much. I personally know of famous studio heads that were involved in harassment, covered it up, or lead to the deaths/suicides of employees. The things pulled in European and Asian studios would make you gasp even compared to the things you hear about in the USA.

In my opinion this exists in corporate culture anywhere, but the games industry has always been so extremely exploitative of its workers that it is many times compounded for us. For context, the industry used to self-publish statistics about quality of life, but stopped because it was only getting worse every year. We don't even know how bad it is anymore. Ontop of harassment there are long hours, underinflated salaries, low stability, and often requires relocation every ~4 years.

We need unions, fair pay, fair hours, and to raise the price of games. I doubt any of this will happen in our hell world.
I think a lot of this could be said about any industry where it's "cool" to work in. Like, it's not nearly as extreme as what's going on in the gaming industry (or specifically with Activision Blizzard), but I worked in craft beer for several years as a graphic designer, and the whole of sexual harassment was (is) prevalent in the industry (there was a big movement last year with women in the craft beer industry relative to sexual harassment; it might still be ongoing). The lack of comparable pay in other industries for my job was there, too, but always dismissed as, "But isn't it cool to work in beer?"

The solution is the same, of course: unionization.

I think I had some other points but my post-vaccine booster brain is still melting down.