Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its perfectly possible to kill very good IPs. EA is an example of a company that's extremely good at it, because they just don't care about long term investments.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah they're killing the studio brand so they can have the IPs at a discount

Mergers are pretty complicated. Strictly speaking Activision Blizzard owns the IPs already, but part of the negotiation could include clauses that require Blizzard IP to be managed by Blizzard. Its hard to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Activision's killed plenty of studios and brands, too. Never forget they managed to start the plastic instruments thing and then milk it to death before the whole genre petered out. And how many great studios are now consigned to the Call of Duty map pack mines? EA's attempt in like, I donno, 2010 to invest in new properties and creative IPs was seen as something not just to break away from their stagnation, but something that Activision wasn't doing and was instead just strangling their studios.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Grondoth posted:

Never forget they managed to start the plastic instruments thing and then milk it to death before the whole genre petered out.

...the what? :confused:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
like guitar hero

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dick Burglar posted:

...the what? :confused:

Guitar Hero etc.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Oh poo poo, I totally forgot Guitar Hero was a thing that happened. welp

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Activision was also at the top of toys-to-life as well.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm not sure either of those were really going to be sustainable long-term, so I can't really blame them for milking them as hard as possible until the fads faded.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh for sure, that was obvious. I'm half paying attention and forgot what thread I was skimming.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Konami actually started the plastic instruments genre with Beatmania and Drummania and Guitar Freaks, Activision definitely intended to milk it to death once they bought Red Octane, but EA jumping on board with Harmonix and Rock Band defnitely accelerated the death-via-milking to "under a decade"

https://www.destructoid.com/former-redoctane-ceo-activision-abused-guitar-hero/

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wx8bey/the-oral-history-of-guitar-hero

mutata posted:

Activision was also at the top of toys-to-life as well.
Same thing there, Activision were already milking it with barely innovative annual releases but Disney and Lego/WB jumping in the pool just killed it extra quick because there's only so much physical space in warehouses for unsold plastic junk.

Perhaps predatory business practices go along with predatory leadership and protecting sex predators.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 19, 2021

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The United States posted:

Konami actually started the plastic instruments genre with Beatmania and Drummania and Guitar Freaks, Activision definitely intended to milk it to death once they bought Red Octane, but EA jumping on board with Harmonix and Rock Band defnitely accelerated the death-via-milking to "under a decade"

looking forward to the nostalgic return of guitar hero guitars

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

anime was right posted:

looking forward to the nostalgic return of guitar hero guitars
They tried. It failed. But they'll try again in another 5-10 years I'm sure.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18220659/guitar-hero-live-voluntary-refund-program-activision-song-library-shutdown

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

yeah there wasnt enough time imo. it wasnt collectively associated with full-on good times nostalgia.

i imagine we'll get something that works with phones or something.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Don't know if this has been posted in here yet:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...nty-11637252067

Driving an employee to suicide and threatening to murder someone? lol whatever.

Mishandling the money of other rich people? :guillotine:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
:capitalism:

Ain't life grand?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Abner Assington posted:

It's because of…

… this. Or, to put it in video game context, when your team is up by such an insurmountable amount and you keep kicking the other team while they're down? It's that mentality. The accumulation of incredible wealth is tantamount to a video game high score for these shitlords.

I've been saying for years that the mega-wealthy literally just see their bank account number as a high score, and I've yet to see anything but mounds more evidence for it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Enlarged to show texture.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Honestly I don't know if peripherals are ever going to be successful again. They just don't jive with the way people play games these days. The only exception I can think of right now is Ring Fit, which sold well but hadn't exactly dry set the world on fire.

Maybe in 10 years they'll come out with a definitive plastic instrument experience that the most obsessive nostalgia hounds will love but it won't be any time soon.

That said I do miss Rock Band drumming. It was a cool, relatively dirt cheap way of approximating the experience of drumming without having to worry about noise or actually learning how to use drums which was ideal for me.

stev fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 19, 2021

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

The United States posted:

Header from the article was before its time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

stev posted:

Honestly I don't know if peripherals are ever going to be successful again. They just don't jive with the way people play games these days. The only exception I can think of right now is Ring Fit, which sold well but hadn't exactly dry set the world on fire.

Maybe in 10 years they'll come out with a definitive plastic instrument experience that the most obsessive nostalgia hounds will love but it won't be any time soon.

That said I do miss Rock Band drumming. It was a cool, relatively dirt cheap way of approximating the experience of drumming without having to worry about noise or actually learning how to use drums which was ideal for me.

A big problem is probably a mix of horrible mishandling of the various franchises combined with the console generation cycle meaning that they flood the market with redundant plastic crap that you keep having to rebuy, and an utter crapshoot (but leaning to unlikely) of whether there'll be any meaningful support. On top of the plastic crap being overpriced enough that a lot of people are going to just stop bothering to keep up with it on top of paying for the software.

Like, there's a reason basically the last man standing for the toys-to-life/peripheral stuff is Amiibo, and those are specifically supported by multiple games across at least two console generations so far (complete with old save bonuses in the case of Smash Bros ones) and even without that, are good quality figurines at reasonable prices of characters that it's otherwise often hard to get decent merchandise for. (Outside of Nintendo's really big names of course, but even then)

Of course, elaborate game peripherals have been a thing literally every generation. Nintendo in particular having them from the very start (with using peripherals to initially sell the NES when game consoles were a hard sell in the American market, infamously) and the perennial steering wheels, pedals and shifter sticks for racing games I still see in stores, lightguns similarly showing up eventually everywhere they can... more that game controllers nowadays have as many gimmicks as can be crammed into them, between touchpads, motion controls, rumble and so on. There's a pretty steady cycle of overreach and scaling back.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

webmeister posted:

Rock Band got me laid on multiple occasions so it's okay by me :v:

Looking back 10+ years later, it's pretty wild that "hey bb, come back to my place and check out my plastic instruments" actually worked as a pickup line

gently caress yes bro. thanky ou for this info int he thread about the insane sexual harrassment company 🙏

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please keep this thread focused on the main topic. This isn't the right thread to start posting about your Rock Band pickup lines or whatever.

Occasional topical jokes are fine, but let's try to avoid derails before they start.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

Occasional topical jokes are fine

hm how about no - dr evil.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

close this thread if it s just going to be poeple trying out their hilarious stand up routines about abusive industry practices. in summation

Endorph posted:

speaking bluntly i dont think anywhere on sa is going to be a good place to discuss it. people are within their rights to not really wanna hear about it in a chill chat thread or a chill steam chat thread, and a thread devoted to is just going to descend into victory laps and a weird 'thread culture' which is the last thing a thread like that needs.

i think the best method would be a pretty strictly moderated thread that is purely for posting news updates and providing additional context or discussion of those updates, and anything celebratory (i KNEW they were bad), speculative (I bet this guy i dont like is also bad), or off-topic is harshly punished.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bragging about having sex at some point in a sexual harassment thread is so tone deaf it’s amazing

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Stux posted:

close this thread if it s just going to be poeple trying out their hilarious stand up routines about abusive industry practices. in summation

This thread has been a solid source of news and discussion for all but one page but thanks for charging in here after one bad post to tell us how goons are incapable of having adult conversations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

hm how about no - dr evil.

"Occasional" is the key word. What we need to avoid are derails, not someone occasionally making a crack at Blizzard doing a dumb thing. If this thread repeatedly devolves into derails that are nothing but jokes or inappropriate personal stories then yes, it should be closed. It's not there yet.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I dig this thread as a 'Blizzard keeps loving it up' rss.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

"Occasional" is the key word. What we need to avoid are derails, not someone occasionally making a crack at Blizzard doing a dumb thing. If this thread repeatedly devolves into derails that are nothing but jokes or inappropriate personal stories then yes, it should be closed. It's not there yet.

epic thrhead title ftw :D

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Heran Bago posted:

I dig this thread as a 'Blizzard keeps loving it up' rss.

There's a thread for that. My understanding is that this was specifically created to be a serious news thread counterpart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

epic thrhead title ftw :D

I didn't change it, but even then, a jokey thread title is not a derail. Even the #MeToo thread has an irreverent thread title.

If you'd like to continue arguing about this thread, do so in the feedback thread, because this is as much of an annoying derail as the things you're complaining about.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cythereal posted:

There's a thread for that. My understanding is that this was specifically created to be a serious news thread counterpart.

yup and it would be great if it could be that.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
not to split hairs but i wouldnt really call the metoo thread title irreverent more than mad about awful bullshit

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've updated the thread title and request from other mods and IKs to keep the title focused on the topic and not a joke. If there are big headlines that just broke, that can make a good thread title update.

I'm not interested in cracking down on literally any and all jokes in this thread. However, this thread does need to avoid jokey derails, off-topic derails, weird posts about your sex life, and anything else along those lines. You can crack the occasional joke but if you're just here to post a picture of Bobby Kotick's dumb-looking face, maybe take it to Blizzlols.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 19, 2021

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

chglcu posted:

It's probably also partly for show to their own employees who may be considering going somewhere else. Games aren't immune to the whole 'Great Resignation' thing.
Engine and hardware companies also have sometimes their own people embedded with studios to help ship the titles. Last thing they want is to have their employees witness something illegal and get dragged into it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm glad that single joke post crisis got sorted. Phew, what a disaster. Good thing people swept in to make a big deal out of it or we might've just completely ignored it or something!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It's pretty pathetic that Stux came barreling in here to denounce people making GBS threads up the thread by...repeatedly making GBS threads up the thread and posting absolutely nothing of value. What I'm saying is: shut the gently caress up, Stux.

More than 1,000 Activision Blizzard workers sign petition to drop CEO Bobby Kotick

I worry about these peoples' jobs. It's almost certain they won't be able to immediately fire all of them, but they've no doubt painted a giant target on all of their backs (with an easily-searchable list, no less) to be ejected at the first opportunity. Then again, I imagine basically everyone at AB below the C-levels is already looking for jobs elsewhere, and I hope they find them soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

It's pretty pathetic that Stux came barreling in here to denounce people making GBS threads up the thread by...repeatedly making GBS threads up the thread and posting absolutely nothing of value. What I'm saying is: shut the gently caress up, Stux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNprYJNAzBs