Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, yes, the death of Osama bin Laden was kind of a huge deal in American culture back when it happened, in a way that frankly feels completely surreal nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't The Newsroom the show that starts with a speech that involves Boomer-rear end Jeff Daniels shouting at a college student--people who potentially weren't even old enough to vote in the most recent election--about how "kids these days" are, in fact, the shittiest generation and how everything loving sucks and, surprise twist, the U.S. isn't really all it's cracked up to be, and somehow that's because you young people are loving idiots?

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he throws out some very dubious facts, like how the U.S. is "178th" in the world in infant mortality. What?

EDIT 2: Yeah here it is:

Yeah gently caress that idiotic show.

I love the part where he's working with his ex and does all sorts of hosed up gaslighting things to her in order to woo her back.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

howe_sam posted:

A little racy? They stuff a corpse into a suitcase!

I’d forgotten about that. Didn’t that have like brutal crunchy/ breaking sounds? I need to watch that again. Most boomers I’ve met, especially Americans, don’t really freak out with violence. Show em some boobs tho and they start frothing at the mouth. Never understood that.

It’s old but if your mom likes Sci Fi have you tried Babylon 5 from the 90s? Graphics are dated but plot and characters are so drat good. In America it’s on HBO Max. I got one awesome grandma who loves the Orville though I’m not 100% she really gets Bortus and Klyden. She thinks they are a cute alien couple and it’s funny to see her laugh along with it. She also likes AEW wrestling and she thinks Arn Anderson is a young hottie. I hope I’m that cool at 80. Probably not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

As someone who was in college when Osama bin Laden was killed, it was kind of a big deal. Then again, I was 22 years old, and had grown up with a real-life boogeyman.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/434/this-week/act-one

Looten Plunder posted:

In fairness, this and one or two others are the most egregious and meme-worthy examples. Not trying to defend the show and say it's not bad, but it isn't consistently this bad.

Side note: It's crazy to think that the majority of people I'd be playing game with or conversing with online were born after 9/11.

I was in college too, same age, in Texas. Not saying nobody had a reaction, just I don't remember it and my main peers didn't give a poo poo. If they had finally caught George Bush, that'd be cause for celebration, but AFAIK that monster is still out there painting portraits of his victims to give to the family of his victims, kind of his serial killer calling card but he does it in public smiling.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Having seen the recent result of the climate change summit, this Newsroom clip is actually pretty on those nose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0uZ9mfOUI

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

swickles posted:

Having seen the recent result of the climate change summit, this Newsroom clip is actually pretty on those nose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0uZ9mfOUI

this is why michael hated him

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
E; wrong thread

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Matt Zerella posted:

this is why michael hated him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYmOqPFyJPw

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
all this talk about the newsroom led me down a youtube rabbit hole of Chapo clips on sorkin and i completely forgot about their remake of The Newsroom theme song

https://youtu.be/rCw9MyzALow

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DogsInSpace! posted:

I’d forgotten about that. Didn’t that have like brutal crunchy/ breaking sounds? I need to watch that again.

Yeah, the sound design for that scene was gruesome.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Newsroom was just ripping off John Cena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6maL6gq6qME

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

Here's why it's important to separate art from artist
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1461002623922982920

Because then you can't enjoy Art on Justified and well, Art's great.

I remember him getting into an argument on Twitter with someone on whether or not Bruno Sammartino beat Buddy Rogers in 48 seconds for the WWWF Heavyweight Title.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Arist posted:

Anyway, yes, the death of Osama bin Laden was kind of a huge deal in American culture back when it happened, in a way that frankly feels completely surreal nowadays
Not as surreal as being in elementary school and stopping class to watch the OJ Simpson verdict.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DaveKap posted:

Not as surreal as being in elementary school and stopping class to watch the OJ Simpson verdict.

PSHAW you kids these days. When I was in elementary school I got to see a space shuttle blow up on live TV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look kids, it's a teacher getting to go into space! Oh nooooo

hmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqzMMNrQQI

I thought this was gonna be a lovely biopic but it looks like it's just about the sex tape stuff and the guys who stole it. Much more interesting.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 18, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mindy Kaling has a new HBO Max show - The Sex Lives of College Girls. First two eps dropped this morning. Looking forward to seeing if it’s any good.

Also a reminder that tomorrow has the premieres of:

Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, complete season)
The Wheel of Time (Prime, first 3 episodes)
AND The Great s2 (Hulu, complete season)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Discovery season 4 hits today too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not if you’re outside the US, they pulled their Netflix deal and are waiting until they launch Paramount+ in other territories before they premiere it there lmao. V bad decision imo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TorrentFreak will undoubtedly be running a story about how it's "the most pirated show of the month", and nobody could have possibly seen this coming.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Looks like some creators/writers behind Superstore and Happy Endings are banding together to make a show about The Last Blockbuster starring Randall Park:

https://deadline.com/2021/11/randall-park-blockbuster-video-store-comedy-series-netflix-from-superstore-duo-david-caspe-1234876166/

There's definitely some nostalgia to mine there.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope they bring on Paul Scheer in some capacity, his stories of working at Blockbuster as a teenager are so absurd and hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughmoris posted:

Looks like some creators/writers behind Superstore and Happy Endings are banding together to make a show about The Last Blockbuster starring Randall Park:

https://deadline.com/2021/11/randall-park-blockbuster-video-store-comedy-series-netflix-from-superstore-duo-david-caspe-1234876166/

There's definitely some nostalgia to mine there.

Happy Endings/Blockbuster/Randall Park... yeah I'm sold on that alone. Never really watched Superstore much, it didn't grab me but intended to go back as people seemed to like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Escobarbarian posted:

Mindy Kaling has a new HBO Max show - The Sex Lives of College Girls. First two eps dropped this morning. Looking forward to seeing if it’s any good.

Also a reminder that tomorrow has the premieres of:

Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, complete season)
The Wheel of Time (Prime, first 3 episodes)
AND The Great s2 (Hulu, complete season)

Reminder for US folks that Amazon publishes their stuff midnight UTC, so "The Wheel of Time" will likely be up at 8pm eastern tonight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Happy Endings/Blockbuster/Randall Park... yeah I'm sold on that alone. Never really watched Superstore much, it didn't grab me but intended to go back as people seemed to like.

I was wondering if people liked it or not haha, nbody I know in real life is remotely interested. I remember seeing an episode when it came out and was like "oh this is literally The Office at WalMart instead" and ignored it after that. Dunno why I started watching it again but I really liked it, even though it very shamelessly copies Office beats a little too often sometimes. I liked the union stuff especially and am retroactively surprised something so openly pro-union was airing on regular old times TV. I liked the balance they found between goofy-sitcom shenanigans and real-world bleakness of their positions.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

swickles posted:

I hope they bring on Paul Scheer in some capacity, his stories of working at Blockbuster as a teenager are so absurd and hilarious.

Scheer was one of the talking heads in the Netflix documentary The Last Blockbuster. Lauren Lapkus was the narrator, too.

The documentary's actually not that bad. Makes a good pairing with the Amazon documentary on Netflix.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Khanstant posted:

I was wondering if people liked it or not haha, nbody I know in real life is remotely interested. I remember seeing an episode when it came out and was like "oh this is literally The Office at WalMart instead" and ignored it after that. Dunno why I started watching it again but I really liked it, even though it very shamelessly copies Office beats a little too often sometimes. I liked the union stuff especially and am retroactively surprised something so openly pro-union was airing on regular old times TV. I liked the balance they found between goofy-sitcom shenanigans and real-world bleakness of their positions.

Superstore definitely had writers who served time in a Superstore.

One of my favorite reoccurring gags was the interstitials of customers doing very customer things while inappropriate music played over the loud speaker. It's something you really appreciate when you're stocking and discover a melted, leaking quart of ice cream stashed behind school supplies, while a song with a poppy beat about loving plays overhead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The reason I actually watched any episodes of it at all was because NBC and LG had some weird deal back in 2016 where they would share some content in 4K on an app they had, as the market started emerging. Superstore was one of very few shows on there, I have no idea if those 4K versions ever ended up anywhere else but I've never seen them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Iron Crowned posted:

One of my favorite reoccurring gags was the interstitials of customers doing very customer things while inappropriate music played over the loud speaker. It's something you really appreciate when you're stocking and discover a melted, leaking quart of ice cream stashed behind school supplies, while a song with a poppy beat about loving plays overhead.

Yeah, Superstore is a comfort show for me. Something that is easy to watch, or can leave on in the background while doing other stuff. It especially hits home having worked retail, and I think they did a good job of portraying working during lockdown last year

The customer cutaways were awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIPPTsON-n8

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I love those silent gags more than anything on the show, they're fantastic. I notice new ones every rewatch. Perfect 5 second storytelling.

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, Superstore is a comfort show for me. Something that is easy to watch, or can leave on in the background while doing other stuff. It especially hits home having worked retail, and I think they did a good job of portraying working during lockdown last year

The customer cutaways were awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIPPTsON-n8

Yeah it's in my comfort "background noise" TV show rotation with 30 rock/office/parksrec/community. I've never worked retail, actually I'm incapable of passing the personality tests to get most corporate jobs so if they got that test, II can't work there. However, service industry has a lot in common so there was plenty to relate to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

American Downton Abbey is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYBuU32B8PI

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khanstant posted:

I love those silent gags more than anything on the show, they're fantastic. I notice new ones every rewatch. Perfect 5 second storytelling.

Yeah it's in my comfort "background noise" TV show rotation with 30 rock/office/parksrec/community. I've never worked retail, actually I'm incapable of passing the personality tests to get most corporate jobs so if they got that test, II can't work there. However, service industry has a lot in common so there was plenty to relate to.

I worked at Best Buy for 13 years. That show triggered my PTSD and I'm not even kidding. Brought back some memories of when I was insanely depressed.

Still a hilarious show but holy poo poo did it hit.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Where Downton Abbey starts with the Titanic sinking this one should end with it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just found out tubi has original programing and one of those programs is an animated show about 3 stoners from the 60s and their cat waking up from a magically induced weed coma in 2020 that stars John Goodman, Woody Harrelson, Tiffany Haddish, and Pete Davidson called The Freek Brothers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is that animated by the knights of the dinner table guy

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wonder if it'll end up like Beacon Hill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Reminder for US folks that Amazon publishes their stuff midnight UTC, so "The Wheel of Time" will likely be up at 8pm eastern tonight.

This has in fact happened

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know anything about The Wheel of Time but the first episode wasn't grabbing me so I turned it off for now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Quick take.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/earthworm-jim-animated-tv-series-1235114624/

Groovy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know anything about The Wheel of Time but the first episode wasn't grabbing me so I turned it off for now.

if you turned it off before halfway through, i'd finish the episode. it picks up.