Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why does this place feel like an aa* support group all of a sudden?

*japanese cartoons anonymous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

why does this place feel like an rec.arts.anime.* group all of a sudden?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
were people all up on usenet about pokemon? i missed that at the time

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
repoasting from the tweet thread

https://twitter.com/lackingsaint/status/1461099676904611843

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the queen’s steadfast desire that her lovely son never be king is her most endearing quality

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

the queen’s steadfast desire that her lovely son never be king is her most endearing quality

its the best lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

her and charles are both going to end up in joseph virek tanks doing the worlds most boring and expensive endurance contest

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 18, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's super fun when old things hold up though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bc9z5Tmq4w

hell yeah, vampire hunter d loving owns

SmokaDustbowl posted:

can't wait for netlfix live action vampire hunter d

no

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

brb writing Vampire Hunting D

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Just rewatched the original Cowboy Bebop series. It's still great.

I'm not sure it's as good as I initially thought: it's more than a little misogynistic/transphobic and the story is a lot simpler and straightforward than I remember.

But drat, Yoko Kanno's soundtrack and the visuals still bring the heat. I was instantly transported back to absolutely living with the soundtrack constantly playing while I was in college. Pure nostalgia.

So far, from my rewatching of anime I watched in 320i off a burned CD with sketchy subtitles near the turn of the century... Evangelion was WAY better than I remember it. Bebop was nearly exactly as good as I remember it, but it really benefits from the better audio.

Next up... trigun?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
today is the last day to sign up for book barn secret santa so if you want cool sci-fi books from fellow goons you'd best get in quick

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

infernal machines posted:

why does this place feel like an aa* support group all of a sudden?

*japanese cartoons anonymous

The Assassination of Yospos Scifi Thread by the Coward Anime Posters

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

brb writing Vampire Hunting D

super hairy werewolf robin williams calls vampire damon in for a teary hug

it's not your fault

they embrace and suddenly teeth are out and swords are up, gore flies everywhere

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
one of our business partners at work was giving us some grief, and when i saw they recently changed their last name to Bennett, all I could think of was "hey, let off some steam"! :xd:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1461006327786917893

👑

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Carthag Tuek posted:

butlerian jihad when

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The first 3 eps of Wheel of Time are up, I watched the first and thought it was decent enough. I will probably keep watching.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TOOT BOOT posted:

The first 3 eps of Wheel of Time are up, I watched the first and thought it was decent enough. I will probably keep watching.

I will kiss Jeff on the mouth if it's good.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Speaking of fantasy, I started reading the kingkiller chronicles. It's okay so far, Rothfuss isn't really a very compelling writer.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Speaking of fantasy, I started reading the kingkiller chronicles. It's okay so far, Rothfuss isn't really a very compelling writer.

i had the exact same impression when i read them

like a much less talented robin hobb

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I couldn’t even finish the first book, it just slogged on forever and the narrator was one of the least interesting characters I’ve ever read

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

stop after the first book, which was alright.

definitely do not read the second book where he goes on sexcapades loving immortal sex-killer fae who fucks people to death but he's so good at sex she has to let him go because she couldn't believe he was a virgin. and then joins a female-only secret mercanery society and trains with them and they have wild sex constantly.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Xaris posted:

definitely do not read the second book where he goes on sexcapades loving immortal sex-killer fae who fucks people to death but he's so good at sex she has to let him go because she couldn't believe he was a virgin. and then joins a female-only secret mercanery society and trains with them and they have wild sex constantly.

has he even released the third book? i will not search for the answer because i wasted too much time reading those books where nothing happens.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fart Sandwiches posted:

has he even released the third book? i will not search for the answer because i wasted too much time reading those books where nothing happens.

lol no

he has a personal vendetta to out-grrm the grrrm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Blinkz0rz posted:

i had the exact same impression when i read them

like a much less talented robin hobb

The Fool posted:

I couldn’t even finish the first book, it just slogged on forever and the narrator was one of the least interesting characters I’ve ever read

He's described as a master of everything and it doesn't really make for an interesting character.

Xaris posted:

Lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kvothe is a textbook gary sue

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

cool more colour by numbers fantasy poo poo

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ZozKfRqvA

ughhhhh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

I liked Ix being the 9th planet

mystes posted:

Dune, by George Lucas

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finishing off the last of the 90s action flicks that Hollywood tried to make with Hong Kong directors, a trio of Van Damen

Maximum Risk (Ringo Lam) is a solid b action movie, nothing too stupid going on and it hits the ground running.

Double Team (Tsui Hark) suffers from having Dennis Rodman in it and a little too much hi tech goofery. Hark seems hampers by the Hollywood money men

then there's Knock Off. shot in Hong Kong with Hark's crew and Sammy Hung doing fight choreography, it's pure HK schlock in a good way. Hark clearly has full control over what's happening and revels in it. I'm not saying it's a good movie but it sure as gently caress delivers as an entertaining movie. Schneider isn't as annoying as you might think either.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

finishing off the last of the 90s action flicks that Hollywood tried to make with Hong Kong directors, a trio of Van Damen

Maximum Risk (Ringo Lam) is a solid b action movie, nothing too stupid going on and it hits the ground running.

Double Team (Tsui Hark) suffers from having Dennis Rodman in it and a little too much hi tech goofery. Hark seems hampers by the Hollywood money men

then there's Knock Off. shot in Hong Kong with Hark's crew and Sammy Hung doing fight choreography, it's pure HK schlock in a good way. Hark clearly has full control over what's happening and revels in it. I'm not saying it's a good movie but it sure as gently caress delivers as an entertaining movie. Schneider isn't as annoying as you might think either.

is double team the one where someone has like a credit card razor blade?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Chris Knight posted:

Double Team (Tsui Hark) suffers from having Dennis Rodman in it
Also known as Carmen Electra Syndrome

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
there's one action movie that has a dude get cut by a credit card with a razor that pops out, and I can never remember what it is

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Also known as Carmen Electra Syndrome

bleh lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmxWHMIbUWM

action movies used to have the craziest poo poo all the time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

i loved knock off so much as a kid

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

there's one action movie that has a dude get cut by a credit card with a razor that pops out, and I can never remember what it is
seagal did it in glimmer man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbRMqd3n3-o

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin