Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a hiring manager did comment on my (python stemlord) cv that im unlikely ready to solve problems in a strongly typed language, because i lack traditional cs background

hilarious self own because python has been a strongly typed language for multiple decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you think recruiters know the difference betw the strong vs weak typing axis and the dynamic vs static typing axis you have like 5 orders of magnitude too much faith in recruiters

if you wouldn't trust a fast food cashier to do it, don't trust a recruiter to do it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah poo poo hiring manager

well you get worthless dipshits there too. i think their actual fear is that you're a drat weenie tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you think recruiters know the difference betw the strong vs weak typing axis and the dynamic vs static typing axis you have like 5 orders of magnitude too much faith in recruiters

if you wouldn't trust a fast food cashier to do it, don't trust a recruiter to do it

this lead engineer of the company, in ml department

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

absolutely. i would expect that a hiring manager, casting aspersions over the sum another human person's education and work experience, would at least know the right word to use though. i dont think thats unreasonable

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat, that's some dipshit hiring right there, "Im hiring ml peeps but i wont hire python peeps"

like "im hiring embedded peeps but i wont hire c peeps" level dipshit

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NihilCredo posted:

use it as an excuse to move to let's encrypt and close the contract

spite is an excellent motivator, and janitoring certs sucks balls

unfortunately it's on an internally hosted/managed elastic cluster so we're stuck with it.

they've now reissued the certificate for the right domain but there's still something going wrong as Https is busted

in 2 weeks the production certificate expires as well!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

drat, that's some dipshit hiring right there, "Im hiring ml peeps but i wont hire python peeps"

well how could they know if someone with 8 years of meaningful python experience is up the impossible task of writing some gprc in go to tie poo poo together with their infra

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean my current job was like that, but then it's all C++

well not quite won't hire but strong C++ experience needed

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

a hiring manager did comment on my (python stemlord) cv that im unlikely ready to solve problems in a strongly typed language, because i lack traditional cs background

just amazing

it's pretty funny since with modern ides the types almost write themselves. If anything I think it's easier to go from duck typed to .... whatever you'd call c# being

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i think its ok to be like "strong c++ experience required" since its basically also an "abandon all hope ye who enter here" sign.

python's type system is of equivalent complexity, in the context of "will this hire be able to perform useful work", to any of the modern GC, VM languages imo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

12 rats tied together posted:

i think its ok to be like "strong c++ experience required" since its basically also an "abandon all hope ye who enter here" sign.

oh deffo, but that's a shining beacon to stay away

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

so did they want standard ml or ocaml

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the immortal science of marxism-leninism ofc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what is it with all the arrogant people that use functional programming languages

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

hobbesmaster posted:

what is it with all the arrogant people that use functional programming languages

We're just better programmers, OP. :smug:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i cannot stress enough that these "cs is sacrosanct" people are doing us all a huge favor by being so open and up-front about how fucken dumb they are early on in the hiring process

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Corla Plankun posted:

i cannot stress enough that these "cs is sacrosanct" people are doing us all a huge favor by being so open and up-front about how fucken dumb they are early on in the hiring process

:yossame:

but also it's a huge barrier for loads of talented people in an industry desperate for more warm bodies. Denmark is really bad at this and the number of times I've been asked "why didn't you study CS you big dum dum". Even worse it permeates every facet of Danish white collar poo poo. Wanna do machine learning for lovely pharmacorp? Gotta be a doctor in stats or at least masters of pharmaceuticals and maths. Wanna work in food adjacent statistical field? Gotta be master of food science or better yet doctor in god drat multivariate statistics. Want to computer janitor or god forbid do it security? You better have all the microsoft certificates and an ISO27001 permission slip from that Swiss guy in the corner.

thinking a bit on it making software might actually be the white collar work in Denmark with the most openness. I mean, I got my dumb rear end in after two years of computer-related fields. Maybe it's actually interviewing and job searching that's a pos

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYvhC_RdIwQ

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Now this is value

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

your problem is "denmark"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

your problem is "denmark"

this seems to be the root of all my issues!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in before "something is rotten"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

12 rats tied together posted:

rule of thumb you should do fib backoff instead of exponential, but "exponential backoff" remains the term to use for any type of retry timer that increases after consistent "please retry that" responses

fib backoff is when you have to clarify parts of your resume

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
the only thing I can find talking about Fibonacci backoff is a paper that doesn't even compare it with plain old exponential, only "BEB" which delays by a random number between zero and 2^n-1

is it actually better than an exponential backoff of 1.6^n?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you should use the backoff that doesn't get you rate limited/ip banned

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hobbesmaster posted:

you should use the backoff that doesn't get you rate limited/ip banned

yeah

i did some scraping on a site & started out using exp backoff but after some false starts, i figured out that their rate limiter was like if you use more than x mb/s, we 429 you for an hour. if you make another request within that hour, you get another hour. twice & you get 24. i didnt dare go further cause the account was in my name.

so i pretty quickly just figured out to rate limit my requests in the client and then waiting an hour if i got the rare 429

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

fritz posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh my god why do so many people who make nuget packages never actually specify what namespaces stuff is in or show complete working examples including the namespaces?

E.g. the package HtmlSanitizer is randomly in the namespace Ganss.XSS and this is not documented anywhere so the only way to determine it is to actually look at the source code on github.

Maybe if the namespace isn't the name of the package you should actually include the using statement in your example?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

Maybe if the namespace isn't the name of the package you should actually include the using statement in your example?

i think i've actually seen this documentation issue in every language i've used

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

opinion of github copilot significantly increased after it reminded me to commit a transaction i'd totally forgotten i had opened

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NihilCredo posted:

opinion of github copilot significantly increased after it reminded me to commit a transaction i'd totally forgotten i had opened

what is a transaction in this context? does copilot watch your database?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes posted:

Oh my god why do so many people who make nuget packages never actually specify what namespaces stuff is in or show complete working examples including the namespaces?

E.g. the package HtmlSanitizer is randomly in the namespace Ganss.XSS and this is not documented anywhere so the only way to determine it is to actually look at the source code on github.

nuget sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

what is a transaction in this context? does copilot watch your database?

i would guess in this case its just static analysis of the code which is great but also not ~*AI*~

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

fritz posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shaggar posted:

i would guess in this case its just static analysis of the code which is great but also not ~*AI*~

oh right

yeah, that can easily be done with regular static analysis in most languages

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Shaggar posted:

yep

still, i've had a half-dozen times in the past where I went 'why can't I find the widget I just saved? *checks logs* "transaction aborted"... gently caress i forgot tx.CommitAsync()'

i've considered writing a type-safe wrapper to ensure that every transaction is either committed or rolled back on all code-paths, but it would greatly complicate the code since txs get passed around like an unsavory metaphor

it's not a big deal because 'new code doesn't actually write to the db' gets caught the very first time you run it, but it's still annoying and copilot saved me maybe 10 minutes or so

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no commitments, no problems

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

yep

still, i've had a half-dozen times in the past where I went 'why can't I find the widget I just saved? *checks logs* "transaction aborted"... gently caress i forgot tx.CommitAsync()'

i've considered writing a type-safe wrapper to ensure that every transaction is either committed or rolled back on all code-paths, but it would greatly complicate the code since txs get passed around like an unsavory metaphor

it's not a big deal because 'new code doesn't actually write to the db' gets caught the very first time you run it, but it's still annoying and copilot saved me maybe 10 minutes or so

C# code:
using(var scope = new TransactionScope())
{
	//do db stuff
	//last step
	scope.Complete()
}
if you hit any exceptions before the complete, the transaction is rolled back automatically when its disposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho i guess that doesnt help if u forget to Complete() lol. still, it would prevent u from blocking with ur transaction