Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lobok posted:

The most recent Spider-Man cartoon is weird that way because Miles and Gwen and Anya all get spider powers as well fairly early on and they all go to the same kid genius school and there's not a compelling reason given why Peter is all that special or different other than being first.

The weirdest part about all of this is that Peter doesn't confide in the girls. He hangs out with them with and without costumes and knows their identities, but they don't know his. It's really awkward. When they finally have that talk in like the second to last episode, his excuse for that boils down to, "it never came up."

Dawgstar posted:

Silk was in a cartoon?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dawgstar posted:

Silk was in a cartoon?

Nah, I'm saying that she didn't get to be in it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

The weirdest part about all of this is that Peter doesn't confide in the girls. He hangs out with them with and without costumes and knows their identities, but they don't know his. It's really awkward. When they finally have that talk in like the second to last episode, his excuse for that boils down to, "it never came up."

Nope.

The worst part was probably during the Goblin Nation arc that ended the second season when Gwen and Anya are convinced Peter is in the Goblin gang and Spider-Man struggles to convince them otherwise. There was a real easy way to clear things up, bud!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There was a decent enough beat about how Everyone called out Peter being in the wrong on the identity stuff, and the girls being rightfully pissed for a while, but yeah, it was mostly contrived.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MorningMoon posted:

There was a decent enough beat about how Everyone called out Peter being in the wrong on the identity stuff, and the girls being rightfully pissed for a while, but yeah, it was mostly contrived.

It's funny because in the comic book "Ultimate Spider-Man" like, so many people know his secret identitity. He tells MJ almost immediately after getting powers, his mask won't loving stay on, he gets knocked unconscious during an X-Men team-up and when he wakes up in their medical bay he's pissed they took off his mask while treating him "And now you all know Peter Parker is Spider-Man," and Jean Grey points out "Uhm, yeah we'd seen your face, but we didn't know what your name was."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's funny because in the comic book "Ultimate Spider-Man" like, so many people know his secret identitity. He tells MJ almost immediately after getting powers, his mask won't loving stay on, he gets knocked unconscious during an X-Men team-up and when he wakes up in their medical bay he's pissed they took off his mask while treating him "And now you all know Peter Parker is Spider-Man," and Jean Grey points out "Uhm, yeah we'd seen your face, but we didn't know what your name was."

As if Jean Grey had any professional boundaries in the first place.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Disney making a modern trailer for the nearly 30 year old X-Men cartoon is weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh0KJImjkqc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder what route they go: Straight continuation, tongue-in-cheek self-parody or more modern story arcs/characters in the old style?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 17, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not right to use orchestral music instead of butt rock.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder what route they go: Straight continuation, tongue-in-cheek self-parody or more modern story arcs/characters in the old style?

Isn't the implication that it's called 97 because it's picking up where it left off in 96?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Isn't the implication that it's called 97 because it's picking up where it left off in 96?

Yes, but that could mean 'we write it as if it's still 1997 and Adam X The X-Treme is the coolest new character find of 1993' or it could mean 'we do Morrison and Hickman but with these versions'.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I feel like they should just continue as the show was and go from there. I mean you have lots of comic arcs from the 90s they can give the treatment like the show did; Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, the Legacy Virus stuff, whatever the nonsense with Stryfe was.

Whatever they do, timeskip or no, I demand the first episode open with 'PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN' and it's just a recap of the entire original run.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Whatever they do, timeskip or no, I demand the first episode open with 'PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN' and it's just a recap of the entire original run.
Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like it'll be a mix of all three. I feel like a large number of people interested in this want it played straight, but it's been a decade and a half of people making memes and jokes and youtube videos pointing out dumb stuff about it (I mean their announcement tweet used a meme), it'd be too much of a challenge not to sneak in intentional jokey references.

As for more modern story arcs, I don't know how they'd adapt it, but Cassandra Nova is prime real estate for some quality Xavier and Jean screaming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hit Monkey is now up on Hulu. It is a very weird show.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I feel like they should just continue as the show was and go from there. I mean you have lots of comic arcs from the 90s they can give the treatment like the show did; Age of Apocalypse, Onslaught, the Legacy Virus stuff, whatever the nonsense with Stryfe was.

Mentioning Stryfe and Apocalypse, my list of good X-Men TAS voices:
Wolverine, Beast, Jean, Cable, Apocalypse...Sabretooth and his accent which I 'm not sure why he has it but okay.

I did like Sabes' look in TAS, to be honest. Sabretooth should look like a n animal, not just a big guy with long hair. Or short hair. That terrible Wolverine movie couldn't even get "long hair" right

Speaking of TAS' influence, is it it all TAS' fault that Sabretooth is often a flunky of Magneto in adaptions? It just doesn't make sense. I know Magneto can vary in terms of villainy but I don't see why he'd stomach the very wort mutantkind has to offer or why Sabretooth, bestial killer, wants to work for a man with high ideals.

Also more praise for TAS - the part where Graydon Creed's racist friends drop him off onto an island with his pops. Amazing episode ending.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 18, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sabertooth started out as a Daredevil villain, but somehow he managed to work well with Wolverine, so that got the characters attached. I think it makes sense when you're setting up Magneto as a top villain to make some of the other, lesser villains into his flunkies. Not like Sabertooth can get up to all that much on his own.

Magneto also needs some kind of dumb muscle, and it's a bit more of a reach for Juggernaut to be working for him. It also kinda makes sense for Magneto to take in people who have nothing else going for them aside from being a mutant, both because of all the times that he's just making havens for mutants who have been rejected by society and because of how real racial supremacist movements often are made up of failures of people who think that their race is the only thing they have going for them. I think it was weirder in Evolution when he had that bit where he wanted to take only the strongest mutants.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sabertooth started out as a Daredevil villain

Iron Fist

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Hit Monkey is now up on Hulu. It is a very weird show.

Went through it. It's good. They nailed the music. Especially for the last scenes of the later episodes.

I completely forgot that it was set in a Marvel universe, until Fat Cobra showed up. There are some slight references earlier than that and some later ones, but they might be a bit obscure. Except for one central character, who shows up in the back half. She's has such a great intro!

I really want a second season now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Toshimo posted:

Iron Fist

Another successful Chris Claremont rehab! I believe that's also why Scott dated either Misty or Colleen for a short stretch.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Another successful Chris Claremont rehab! I believe that's also why Scott dated either Misty or Colleen for a short stretch.

I don't think he dated either of them, but Misty Knight was Jean Grey's roommate for a while. Which I want a series that's literally just about that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I don't think he dated either of them, but Misty Knight was Jean Grey's roommate for a while. Which I want a series that's literally just about that.

Apparently I was wrong and it was Colleen.

quote:

After a working partnership with Iron Fist, which also converged frequently with Luke Cage and Misty Knight, The American Samurai: Colleen Wing made a fleeting stop over to X-Men World, were she briefly grabbed the attention of none other than Cyclops himself, Scott Summers.

This was during the Phoenix and Dark Pheonix sagas, when the laser-eyed Scotty was grieving over a supposedly dead Jean Grey, and Professor Xavier was no longer around to offer the right level of support.

Colleen's timely appearance at first seemed like the perfect distraction for Scott Summers. But for all of Miss Wing's intentions, Cyclops didn't seem to take the hint. Instead, during their brief dating excursion, Summers vented excessively about his own problems and insecurities, while Colleen listened to the best of her ability and patience.

The brief encounter ended with Colleen sending a letter to Cyclops offering one final opportunity of togetherness. But the notoriously rigid Summers failed to reciprocate and Colleen jumped on the next comic strip back towards the more like-minded shenanigans of Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Misty Knight.

That does sound 100% on brand for Scott.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The forgotten X-Men cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHUBrvkuWU0

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Honestly, I watched it as it aired and it was ok, if uneven. The fact that the finale that it got canceled on was the big setup for poo poo to actually get interesting the following season was enternally :laffo:

The ending was the lead-in to Age of Apocalypse!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never watched the show because I am very much the "too much Wolverine" kind of X- fan. And isn't it kind of deliciously ironic that the one show with Wolverine in the title as a blatant ratings ploy was the least successful of all of them? (I guess there was that Kitty Pryde cartoon....how long did that last.)

So I can't say it's bad but the cover of a book does matter.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never watched the show because I am very much the "too much Wolverine" kind of X- fan. And isn't it kind of deliciously ironic that the one show with Wolverine in the title as a blatant ratings ploy was the least successful of all of them? (I guess there was that Kitty Pryde cartoon....how long did that last.)

Pryde of the X-Men was a single 30-minute pilot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pryde of the X-Men wasn't so much a show as just a pilot that never exactly got picked up, but it did lead to the animated series finally getting made.

I like Wolverine, but I kinda get put off by how much everybody else likes him and how much everything ends up focusing on him. It also ends up kind of self-defeating, because what people like about Wolverine is how he's a loose cannon and antihero, but when he's leading the team, he can't pull that routine anymore or everything will fall apart. I think the only time I've liked Wolverine as the main guy in a full team book is a period before he died when the X-Men split and he became a soccer mom.

Of course, I'm also a weirdo who really likes Cyclops, the guy whose main job is to tell off loose cannons like Wolverine. And most of Cyclop's character is just unlimited suffering and tragedy to such an extent that it breaks through the fourth wall. Laser eyes are pretty cool though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean Wolverine and the X-Men had Wolverine start off as the motorcycle-riding jacket-wearing rebel doing his own thing who gets sucked into the main plot and finds himself pulling the team together and assuming a leadership role because mutants are facing an unprecedented threat and he cares too much to let everyone suffer.

Meanwhile Cyke goes off on his own, tearing up streets and doing billions of dollars worth of property damage while screaming WHERE'S JEAAAAAAAAAAAAAN?!!!!!!!!!

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs54HxMVFdE

Toshimo posted:

Pryde of the X-Men was a single 30-minute pilot.
But it gave us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdAmkx8eAos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjuWKAMAlQU&t=11s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 19, 2021

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Pryde of the X-Men wasn't so much a show as just a pilot that never exactly got picked up, but it did lead to the animated series finally getting made.

I like Wolverine, but I kinda get put off by how much everybody else likes him and how much everything ends up focusing on him. It also ends up kind of self-defeating, because what people like about Wolverine is how he's a loose cannon and antihero, but when he's leading the team, he can't pull that routine anymore or everything will fall apart. I think the only time I've liked Wolverine as the main guy in a full team book is a period before he died when the X-Men split and he became a soccer mom.

Of course, I'm also a weirdo who really likes Cyclops, the guy whose main job is to tell off loose cannons like Wolverine. And most of Cyclop's character is just unlimited suffering and tragedy to such an extent that it breaks through the fourth wall. Laser eyes are pretty cool though.

Kind of a shame that so much of the X-Men comics of the last... 20 years? have done lots of interesting things that rely so heavily on the history of all the years before that makes adapting into shows or movies difficult. They almost always start off at square one. Especially with Cyclops. Like I don't know how you'd do a series that had moments like Cyclops Was Right without lots of lengthy flashback exposition throughout.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I really like WATXM forcing Wolverine and Cyclops into each other's roles.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked Wolverine and the X-Men but I only got halfway through before it left Netflix. That was a pretty decent time for Marvel animation, EMH's intros aside.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It'll never happen but it would be hilarious* if a future X-Men adaptation adopted the current heavily implied status quo of Scott, Jean, and Logan being a throuple

*by which I mean hilarious in that it would make people's heads explode in confusion, personally I'm all in favor of it as the final inevitable conclusion of their decades long love triangle

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

This show has two episodes where the premise is "Nightcrawler: He is basically the best"

I'm not nearly as much a fan of it compared to Spectacular and EMH, but it was a decent cartoon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Pryde of the X-Men had a pilot episode, that's it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Young Justice Season 4 Episode 7: The story of how Barbara Gordon ended up as Oracle in this universe is really weird, and melodramatic in a totally different way from the Killing Joke. All in all I think it's a lateral move; she's not a victim who is then used as a prop in some other dude's stories, but the idea of anyone other than Harley Quinn taking a killing blow for Joker--even if it's to keep Cassandra from becoming a killer--strikes me as some real Bat brain logic.

Also I kind of wish we would get a kick rear end fight scene from Cassandra. That's kind of her whole thing. Then again the action in this show has never been it's strongest suit, so I'm not even sure they could pull it off if they tried.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

It'll never happen but it would be hilarious* if a future X-Men adaptation adopted the current heavily implied status quo of Scott, Jean, and Logan being a throuple

*by which I mean hilarious in that it would make people's heads explode in confusion, personally I'm all in favor of it as the final inevitable conclusion of their decades long love triangle

I never followed the actual X-men comics, but I thought the whole deal with Jean and Logan was that she never reciprocated. If that’s not the case, that already makes my head explode. :psyduck:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I never followed the actual X-men comics, but I thought the whole deal with Jean and Logan was that she never reciprocated. If that’s not the case, that already makes my head explode. :psyduck:

I’m currently reading through the Claremont X-Men comics, and in the actual stories this is the case, but when Claremont wrote the back-up stories for X-Men Classic, he wrote them as if she was attracted to Wolverine. Also I have no idea if this is explored later, but the later continuity change where the Phoenix replaced Jean and stashed her underwater means that Wolverine was into the Phoenix ghost the whole time. It’s weird that 90s Wolverine kept trying to get with Jean, because he hadn’t really ever met her before.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I never watched X-Men Evolution, but I always felt, and still kind of do although maybe the show does a better job of it - that making Rogue a goth kind of misses part of the point of the character.
Like while I am familiar with a lot of Marvel comics, I admit the X-Men were ones I never got into by and large - too daunting. Although I grew up with the cartoons and whatnot. But yeah, I always felt like part of the basic premise of the 'modern' incarnation of Rogue (I know she started off as a villain and whatnot) was a deliberate irony/juxtaposition. You have this vivacious, sexualized, Southern belle who seems pretty upbeat, but is actually one of the characters with one of the most hosed up and tragic backstories. She seriously injured or killed the first person she was ever in love with, and has been damned to basically never know physical intimacy - even something as simple as a hand on her face. That beneath the rough and tumble verve you've got this person who is deeply hurting and hiding their pain and carrying on as best they can, although from time to time it surfaces.

Which, I mean, maybe it's me, but feels also like besides a good storytelling concept in general, something that is profoundly resonant to anyone who has struggled with depression or with living as a persecuted minority. Having to put on a smile and live your life despite all your trauma.

But eh. Does Evolution hold up? My cousin swears by it but, as I said, never grew up with it like he did. OG TAS was my childhood X-Men.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Isn't the Jean/Wolverine thing one of those things where like, it kind of got bigger in adaptations/other versions than it ever was in the main comics and then it kinda bounced back into the main comics. Like it was in the movies quite a bit and Ultimate X-Men (where Wolverine literally purposefully lets Cyclops die on a mission so he can get with a teenage Jean Grey and it's extremely weird) and a lot of What Ifs and alternate universes play it up. Then people who were fans of those things got to writing main X-Men comics and the result was that stuff became more prominent there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

OnimaruXLR posted:

Young Justice Season 4 Episode 7: The story of how Barbara Gordon ended up as Oracle in this universe is really weird, and melodramatic in a totally different way from the Killing Joke. All in all I think it's a lateral move; she's not a victim who is then used as a prop in some other dude's stories, but the idea of anyone other than Harley Quinn taking a killing blow for Joker--even if it's to keep Cassandra from becoming a killer--strikes me as some real Bat brain logic.

Also I kind of wish we would get a kick rear end fight scene from Cassandra. That's kind of her whole thing. Then again the action in this show has never been it's strongest suit, so I'm not even sure they could pull it off if they tried.

That’s…something. I think I still like it better than Moore’s version.