Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

pair programming is super good imo but it is exhausting and you really have to get along well with your pair.

idk about swapping roles every few minutes tho, that seems weird. You kind of just swap when you want to and when it feels right.

iawtp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
my experience with pairing tends to go like this

i can be either character, depending on circumstances

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
i have an hour long swarm on my calendar every day and pair on an ad hoc basis regularly.
i have been with the company for barely three years and i am now the third most tenured engineer.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I only do pair programming if we get to kiss

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sounds really gay, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

my experience with pairing tends to go like this

i can be either character, depending on circumstances

you or you’re coworker is Scotty?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Hovering my hands over the keyboard while you're typing because it's my turn!!!!

Pulling the mouse in my direction by the cord

Eating canned tuna at the desk

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
you should try pair posting, op! It might make your posts better. because someone else would be writing some of them!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
posting my pair

std::pair< bool, bool >

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i didnt read any of the posts itt

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zlodo posted:

posting my pair

std::pair< bool, bool >

sorry about your std, have you seen a doctor about that?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
gdi

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

anyway i'm not here to say everyone should do it, but when it works well, it works really well.

iawtp

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I can't do my thing with other people watching

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
programming is an insanely shameful thing that should only be done in private

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i prefer apple programming OP

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I only do pair programming if we get to kiss

Pair programming but that thing where one person hides behind the other and pretends their arms belong to the front person: front person declares out loud what they want to type and rear person implements

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ADINSX posted:

Pair programming but that thing where one person hides behind the other and pretends their arms belong to the front person: front person declares out loud what they want to type and rear person implements

i watched "whos line is it anyway" once because a channel over here airs american tv shows sometimes and uh
man that show loving SUCKS

"haha hey middle-aged bald guy #3, act like you're a fuckin bathroom urinal"
"haha ok. i drink pee."
[ROARING LAUGHTER]

good loving lord

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

hbag posted:

i watched "whos line is it anyway" once because a channel over here airs american tv shows sometimes and uh
man that show loving SUCKS

"haha hey middle-aged bald guy #3, act like you're a fuckin bathroom urinal"
"haha ok. i drink pee."
[ROARING LAUGHTER]

good loving lord
WLiiA is British, I used to watch it as a kid back in the 90's on Channel 4. They always had a decent number of Canadian & American comedians on who ten year old me thought were really funny, but now I daren't look any of them up in case they've gone chudward

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

toiletbrush posted:

WLiiA is British, I used to watch it as a kid back in the 90's on Channel 4. They always had a decent number of Canadian & American comedians on who ten year old me thought were really funny, but now I daren't look any of them up in case they've gone chudward

it is? drat maybe they were airing the US version because literally everyone on it and in the audience was murican

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

there’s a british version and an american spinoff

as far as the comedians go ryan stiles and colin mochrie are both good people afaik.

pair programming is okay

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah like most shows that america gloms onto the british original is much better

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

programming is an insanely shameful thing that should only be done in private

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I had one project back in 2006 where we were moving from a totally free product to freemium on a pretty tight schedule. I understood the authentication/authorization logic and the other guy understood the UI code, and by pairing we managed to get everything done. I don't think there was any other approach that would've worked, and I also haven't worked on anything since where I think it would've helped.

The regular devs at my current employer do full-time pairing. I don't know how they put up with it.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Full time pair programming should only cost one salary imo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i did pair programming a few times in college. if you have a competent co-worker it can work well, but if meeting in person isn't possible, or you didn't enjoy their company i think it would be less than helpful

also now i'm wondering about au pair programming, where you hire some unfortunate exchange student, except instead of doing housework and such, they program java or whatever for you

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I am attention deficit and I absolutely can’t work this way. I interviewed at a company once that mandated pair programming and when I heard that I was like lol nope.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

qhat posted:

I am attention deficit and I absolutely can’t work this way. I interviewed at a company once that mandated pair programming and when I heard that I was like lol nope.

I’m also adhd, and pair programming made me stay on task more and write higher quality stuff. it was also 3x as exhausting as my normal schedule of “random bursts of productivity from 2-16 hours long”.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

MrQueasy posted:

I’m also adhd, and pair programming made me stay on task more and write higher quality stuff. it was also 3x as exhausting as my normal schedule of “random bursts of productivity from 2-16 hours long”.

I'm not adhd and this is also my experience w/ pair programming

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

I'm not adhd

or maybe i am, idk, idgaf i'm too old to get diagnosed with things that arent stuff like "rheumatism" and "lumbago"

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

rotor posted:

or maybe i am, idk, idgaf i'm too old to get diagnosed with things that arent stuff like "rheumatism" and "lumbago"

that’s what I thought, too, but when my kid got diagnosed suddenly the list of symptoms and strong genetic heritability spurred me down that path.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

never done it, but i would imagine i'd need personal rapport with a partner for this to work decently

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dioxazine posted:

never done it, but i would imagine i'd need personal rapport with a partner for this to work decently

yeah its a very close social activity and even people who get along ok can feel a lot of tension and awkwardness. The first time I did it reminded me of having to slow dance with a stranger.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wish the op would pair with a different subforum

Queen of Beans
Jun 15, 2007
i don't know what's worse: a navigator who gets distracted by something else, or a driver who doesn't stop to listen

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

My only experience with pair programming was when I worked at a company that got suckered into the Pivotal experience, where your entire team spends weeks-months working at the Pivotal office learning to do things the Pivotal way, with two Pivotal engineers embedded in the team. It's all day every day pairing. You have no personal space, no desk to call your own. If you're a Pivotal employee and not a client, you get a locker.

I've never seen an entire engineering team churn so quickly.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
is this pair programming op?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OddRipeGoshawk-mobile.mp4

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020

ADINSX posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

nudgenudgetilt posted:

My only experience with pair programming was when I worked at a company that got suckered into the Pivotal experience, where your entire team spends weeks-months working at the Pivotal office learning to do things the Pivotal way, with two Pivotal engineers embedded in the team. It's all day every day pairing. You have no personal space, no desk to call your own. If you're a Pivotal employee and not a client, you get a locker.

I've never seen an entire engineering team churn so quickly.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

what the gently caress

yeah pivotal is pretty wild