Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's a zillion different takes on WWII in film, so you might want to be a little more specific on what you're looking for. if you're just looking for relatively straight war movies the ones suggested above are good, and I'd throw in The Big Red One, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare, Dunkirk and The Bridge on the River Kwai.

Stalag 17 and The Great Escape are good popcorn movies about POWs. Army of Shadows and Au Revoir Les Enfants are excellent dramas about the French occupation. Phoenix and The Best Years Of Our Lives are very different movies about the immediate aftershocks of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A Bridge Too Far is excellent too

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Verhoeven's Black Book/Zwartboek is another good one for WWII (Dutch) Resistance.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

morestuff posted:

There's a zillion different takes on WWII in film, so you might want to be a little more specific on what you're looking for.

I specifically left it open in order to get as wide a variety of responses as possible. Even movies about life on the home front during the war, or civilian life in nazi Germany count.

But only movies. No TV shows.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Gripweed posted:

What are the best World War 2 movies? They can be pro or anti war, doesn't matter.

A Midnight Clear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVGK0E3QpyE

Come and See

Red Angel (1966)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Cross of Iron (1977)!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Gripweed posted:

I specifically left it open in order to get as wide a variety of responses as possible. Even movies about life on the home front during the war, or civilian life in nazi Germany count.

But only movies. No TV shows.

Any reason for the adverse reaction to Bob? Sure....it's not a movie. In most cases it's far and away better.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

morestuff posted:

Army of Shadows
gripweed already had plenty to say about army of shadows

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Nthing Come and See, but maybe take some time off after to pet a dog or hug your loved ones.
Stalingrad (1993) is pretty good and dire too.

A Hidden Life is a great one for civilian life in WW2, pair with Thin Red Line for a Malick double feature.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coaaab posted:

gripweed already had plenty to say about army of shadows

Oh yeah, that movie was a stone cold bummer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

Oh yeah, that movie was a stone cold bummer.

As much as I'd enthusiastically second the grave of the fireflies succession, if you don't like your movies sad that might not be the best option

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
More WW2 recommendations: Attack(1956), Das Boot (1981), Kanal (1957), Ivan's Childhood (1962).

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

The Human Condition
Fires on the Plain (1959)
Fires on the Plain (2014)
Hanagatami
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

EmptyVessel posted:

Verhoeven's Black Book/Zwartboek is another good one for WWII (Dutch) Resistance.

Also Verhoeven's Soldier of Orange starring Rutger Hauer.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
The Americanization of Emily is Paddy Chayefsky's take on the sanctity of WWII

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Tin Drum is an extremely weird and very German take on the rise of Naziism

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
A Bridge Too Far (1977) is a solid big-budget big-scale WWII film. It's impressive just how packed full of stars it is. Almost every role of any size will have someone you'll recognize. It's kind of the The Longest Day or Black Hawk Down of its era in that sense.
The Bridge at Remagen (1969) is on a smaller scale, but the memorable thing about this one for me is it really feels like they demolished actual towns with tanks and explosions to make this flick. That, or the set design guys deserve every award for making it seem like they did. Bricks, dust and debris flying everywhere. Well done.

Filmmakers really like bridges, don't they?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bridges own. Bridge on the River Kwai is an obvious pick but it also owns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Roumba posted:

A Bridge Too Far (1977) is a solid big-budget big-scale WWII film. It's impressive just how packed full of stars it is. Almost every role of any size will have someone you'll recognize. It's kind of the The Longest Day or Black Hawk Down of its era in that sense.
The Bridge at Remagen (1969) is on a smaller scale, but the memorable thing about this one for me is it really feels like they demolished actual towns with tanks and explosions to make this flick. That, or the set design guys deserve every award for making it seem like they did. Bricks, dust and debris flying everywhere. Well done.

Filmmakers really like bridges, don't they?

A Bridge Too Far and The Longest Day are two of my favorite movies. They're like a totally different genre, military procedurals. The planning and execution of a military operation with little or no extraneous character or plot or whatnot. I really wish there were more movies like that.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

Wizchine posted:

Also Verhoeven's Soldier of Orange starring Rutger Hauer.

And a bit further north, Flame & Citron (2008) about Danish resistance fighters is really good. And stars Mads Mikkelsen!

And even further north, Max Manus (2008) is about Norway's most famous resistance member. Doesn't quite reach the heights of the above movies, but still super watchable.

Cataffy fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 22, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good recommendations.

Nobody mentioning Shaving Ryan's Privates?

There is a decent new Dutch WW2 film that just came onto Netflix, The Forgotten Battle. (I did a bit of work on it but it is actually decent).

Another pretty good Norwegian resistance film is The 12th Man.

I know it's not a film but seconding Band of Brothers.

Enemy At The Gates is a WW2 film, but I am not sure it's a very good one...

Inglourious Bastards kind of qualifies.

Son of Saul is a Holocaust film rather than a war film, and is incredible.

Memphis Belle, and Biloxi Blues.

Fury. If you like tanks and lots of shooting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thanks for the recommendations, i was putting together a list of movies to look for at Half Price Book's Black Friday sale but it turns out they aren't doing on this year so I guess I'll just loving kill myself instead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any hidden gem dinosaur flicks? I love Jurassic Park, Valley of Gwangi, and the 1925 Lost World, but everything else I've caught is pretty dire. At this point my standards are pretty low—all I want is a good number of stop-motion dinosaurs without 95% of the movie being a total bore.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You mean like... Velocipastor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No. No I do not.

I tried to watch Dinosaurus! and The Beast of Hollow Mountain tonight. They were both quite bad. I also flipped through Journey to the Beginning of Time and that had some alright bits, but it wasn't really a movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kong battles a pretty sweet Gorosaurus in King Kong Escapes, obviously not worth sitting through the whole movie just for one scene but luckily youtube has the scene for you to enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtylspG7PFI

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Similar to The Wailing and I Saw The Devil?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

96 spacejam posted:

Memories of Murder

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Hell yeah Memories of Murder is the GOAT.

Also check out Park Chan Wook's Revenge Trilogy (Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance) and Lee Chang Dong's Burning.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Can anyone recommend good films/documentaries regarding U.S. imperialism in the Philippines?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Melancholy or bittersweet Christmas/New Years movies?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Melancholy or bittersweet Christmas/New Years movies?

I feel like I’ve got a load on the top of my tongue but none springing to mind immediately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Exactly how vulgar does A Clusterfunke Christmas get? Is it fairly family friendly?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Any good murder mystery movies from the past decade or so? Preferably without a bunch of convoluted nonsense and ridiculous twists. I tried The Invisible Guest and bailed after 15 minutes because it was already getting incredibly dumb. I feel like the simple grounded murder investigation format for movies is pretty dead, now relegated mostly to television/streaming shows, and those are often these overlong dour melodramas that drip progression out painfully slow over an entire season(s) (Broadchurch, The Sinner, The Killing, etc).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Origami Dali posted:

Any good murder mystery movies from the past decade or so? Preferably without a bunch of convoluted nonsense and ridiculous twists. I tried The Invisible Guest and bailed after 15 minutes because it was already getting incredibly dumb. I feel like the simple grounded murder investigation format for movies is pretty dead, now relegated mostly to television/streaming shows, and those are often these overlong dour melodramas that drip progression out painfully slow over an entire season(s) (Broadchurch, The Sinner, The Killing, etc).

I enjoyed Knives Out a lot. Apparently Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express is decent.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

96 spacejam posted:

Check out Na Hong-Jin's other stuff.

The Chaser for something a bit like I saw the devil.

Last year's The Medium is on shudder and is almost directly pitched as a spiritual followup to The Wailing, not quite as good of course and it's documentary movie framing kind of collapses in the second half when things get a bit more routine horror movie but definately worth a watch

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone have any recommendations for movies where there’s a live performance of some kind going catastrophically wrong and everyone behind the scenes is scrambling to fix it? I’m thinking screwball comedies like

Radioland Murders
Noises Off!
The episode of Frasier with the radio play

Anyone got anything like this?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
There's a certain highly-regarded movie from a few years back where this fact is generally considered a twist/tightly-guarded spoiler, so reveal at your own risk: One Cut of the Dead is exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Synecdoche: New York is kind of like that. I think.

E: it's definitely not a screwball comedy though