Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Frog Act posted:

Like when you try to spot an enemy or vehicle as you would in previous games, using Q, it just drops a ping on the map rather than actually spotting the enemy and putting them on people's minimaps. the stuff from the radial menu for callouts are fine, I guess, though nobody ever uses them, I'm mostly thinking about the spot system they replaced with spotter seats and drones.

Oh I get ya. I'm not sad to see the old style callouts go. Actually being able to sneak around makes for a better game imo.

E: and the current system makes the spotter seat in vehicles more valuable. Spotting itself is poo poo XP, but you're gonna get a ton more assists--a spotter is far better to have than a forward gunner, except when you drive into the enemy line, then a forward gunner is nice to keep c5 and drones away

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

kri kri posted:

Game could have used a 9 month delay

Absolutely, but there's no way in hell ea would have let that happen.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

DrBox posted:

Rubber banding and connection issues were gone and performance was a little better for me last night. I don't think anyone implied a broad rework of the game on day 1. Did your refund go through?

There's still some small hitching server side every 5 seconds or so. Running a server with 128 clients at 30Hz (lol) is stressing the hardware and connection too much. Söderlund was right about 128 players not being worth it

DrBox posted:

I actually like this part. You can sneak up on people or hide in cover and not get doritoed by someone mashing the spot button for 40 minutes straight. Pings should just be a visual callout, although it feels a lot clunkier in this game compared to Apex.

After playing with them again last night I think prox grenades need a duration or range nerf or something. I always have them and just blanket a building with them. As fun as it is seeing the XP roll in, it feels a little cheesy.

Agreed but then everyone is running drones and prox sensors because you'll make more XP doing assisting kills than you do actually killing people, so you can't really sneak up on people because some drone us spotting everything.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 19, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Had a good round of Breakthrough on the clock today. Having a bunch of fresh meat is useful for racking up Apache kills.

I was fiddling with the C5 drone last night but found it tough to actually use. Really need enemy vehicles to be more static for it to work I guess?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

jisforjosh posted:

Agreed but then everyone is running drones and prox sensors because you'll make more XP doing assisting kills than you do actually killing people, so you can't really sneak up on people because some drone us spotting everything.

Yeah. Prox sensors need a nerf and they could fix drone spotting a couple of ways. Reduce the range it can fly (lame), add a battery life so they can't sit in it all game, or add diminishing returns on spot XP if the target was already or recently spotted. I like the last two ideas.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I make all my XP from the korean chick with the wallhack and prox mines. I got to like 150+ assists during one match

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

DrBox posted:

Yeah. Prox sensors need a nerf and they could fix drone spotting a couple of ways. Reduce the range it can fly (lame), add a battery life so they can't sit in it all game, or add diminishing returns on spot XP if the target was already or recently spotted. I like the last two ideas.

There's a better solution. The game is "supposed" to be a successor to BF4 from the marketing to dev comments. Just port over the BF4 scoring systems. All of it. Making assists different from spot assists. Allow for "Assists counts as kill" to prevent kill "stealing".

https://battlefield.fandom.com/wiki/Score#Battlefield_4

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

jisforjosh posted:

There's a better solution. The game is "supposed" to be a successor to BF4 from the marketing to dev comments. Just port over the BF4 scoring systems. All of it. Making assists different from spot assists. Allow for "Assists counts as kill" to prevent kill "stealing".

I will sign this petition. I still stand by my prox and drone ideas though.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is there an option to always show distance to each objective?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Trip report on the autoshotgun: It's good.The PeePee gun is overall much better obviously, but the autoshotgun makes for a decent alternative if you're doing a lot of house fighting. If you're on point with reactions and aim, not many can beat you up close.

The autoshotgun is effective at longer ranges than I thought too, and I'm looking forward to unlocking slugs and extended magazine to test those out too

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jisforjosh posted:

YES YES YES. Honestly I think EA just needs to say we will eventually be adding all the maps and stuff from BF1 and BF4 to portal (granted for operations they'd probably need to make it stuff that won't use portal).

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

MazelTovCocktail posted:

YES YES YES. Honestly I think EA just needs to say we will eventually be adding all the maps and stuff from BF1 and BF4 to portal (granted for operations they'd probably need to make it stuff that won't use portal).

I really want a official legacy map hopper alongside conquest and breakthrough. It's a waste to have Caspian Border right there and not play it while earning XP. They can slowly add maps to the list and have a 'best of' queue that will just go 64 or 128 players depending on the map.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. My hit indicator is spazzing out, but I fail to kill people reliably, while by sound effects, two shots I'm gone. I'm too old for this poo poo.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
There’s a real frustrating bug with controllers - where your camera will suddenly look at your feet (I play y-inverted) (or in the sky if you play default).

Otherwise it feels like battlefield!

Liked using the wingsuit to flank an enemy.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I would like to remind everyone that their darling BF1 didnt have a quit button for like the first 60? days of the game.

I like BF1 and I don't mean this as a slight, but :dice: has almost always released total poo poo on launch, except maybe for OG bf1942.

So far this game feels pretty darn good, although I could easily see it swinging to total poo poo before it comes around to BF1 fun.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fondly remembering how in BF1 for a long time if you were rezzed you had a good chance of being able to fire your weapon

Or when grenades couldn't be thrown past corpses because the original hotbox was retained

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

I would like to remind everyone that their darling BF1 didnt have a quit button for like the first 60? days of the game.

I like BF1 and I don't mean this as a slight, but :dice: has almost always released total poo poo on launch, except maybe for OG bf1942.

So far this game feels pretty darn good, although I could easily see it swinging to total poo poo before it comes around to BF1 fun.

You also couldn't change your loadout until you were in the game

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Diggity! posted:

Fondly remembering how in BF1 for a long time if you were rezzed you had a good chance of being able to fire your weapon

Or when grenades couldn't be thrown past corpses because the original hotbox was retained

Also that you knew if someone was coming towards use as a medic and even if they were on your squad. I was just playing BF1 during lunch and why did they remove it?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also that you knew if someone was coming towards use as a medic and even if they were on your squad. I was just playing BF1 during lunch and why did they remove it?

Pretty inexplicable but I believe they've already confirmed that it's being added back

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pretty inexplicable but I believe they've already confirmed that it's being added back

You gotta think it was one of those "this is a feature we want in the game but it's something we can release without and we have to release now" things. A lot of things feel like they got cut, more than I'd expect even for a :dice: game.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

:dice: has almost always released total poo poo on launch, except maybe for OG bf1942.

1) the 42 engine is a glitchy mess, it's just a lot of the glitches and jank aren't noticeable, lead to hilarity, or people don't remember because it's been almost two decades. The only reason I remember them is I cut my teeth in programming doing mods for 42 and BF2.

2) DICE didn't program 42 from whole cloth, they bought the developers of Codename Eagle who had '42 in development at the time, they then finished the dev work.

3) I've always had the sneaking suspicion that after EA acquired DICE after Battlefield 2, that who ever was responsible for making decisions that made 42/2 excellent ended up getting poo poo canned or left or didn't have the same amount of creative freedom for the development of Bad Company 1.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I unlocked the 50mm cannon for the jeep, but quite sure it is just clearly worse than the 30mm one. How anticlimactic

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I had more than once see some presumable enemy (no blue marker) landing his wingsuit and be apparently invincible. I unloaded like a whole LCMG mag into him and he shrugged it off (or didn't notice?).

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

I've def been shot while flying in the wingsuit. It's probably just the normal gun jankiness

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I've def been shot while flying in the wingsuit. It's probably just the normal gun jankiness
Yea I have no idea. The last time it happened, the person was pretty stationary and the game was showing blood splatter every hit, and I was close up. God knows what happened there. Said person landed, this didn't happen in flight.

Chazani posted:

I unlocked the 50mm cannon for the jeep, but quite sure it is just clearly worse than the 30mm one. How anticlimactic
How does that work? It applies only to things you spawn, or is it automagically there if you take gunner position?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Another trick is that you can fire the rockets just slightly before they lock-on. Just spam the fire button and youll see. If youre working with just one other person, you two can clear the entire sky in your area but even by yourself youre a huge threat

It's not a trick, the missiles are bugged and any missiles in-flight before the flares are fired will just zoom around aimlessly until the flare effect wears off and then immediately resume tracking the target.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Game runs great and looks great, but sounds like poo poo. Kept hearing random russian voices behind me, but they were on the other side of the map?

I couldn’t bind my mouse keys. I couldn’t move any vehicles - I could rev them, but not drive forward. I can’t host my own games. I once joined a game and had no spawn points showing. the 2042 maps have no cover, which is baffling with such a high player count. BC2 doesn’t feel like the original, it feels soulless. why have a profanity filter in a game where you’re knifing and shooting people?

I started out having fun but then the reality of aaa gaming and shareholder expectations sank in. What a shame … :laugh:

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Combat Pretzel posted:

How does that work? It applies only to things you spawn, or is it automagically there if you take gunner position?
The vehicle set up is based on the loadout of the person who spawns it.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I wanted to play an actually good shootmans, so I've been playing CoD: Vanguard. Have they added aim assist to controllers for this poo poo heap yet?

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Defenestrategy posted:

3) I've always had the sneaking suspicion that after EA acquired DICE after Battlefield 2, that who ever was responsible for making decisions that made 42/2 excellent ended up getting poo poo canned or left or didn't have the same amount of creative freedom for the development of Bad Company 1.

Desert Combat was imo the best (unofficial) battlefield game ever made. Wonder what those guys went on to

Combat Pretzel posted:

applies only to things you spawn as opposed to the latter as in other bf games. I actually don't mind this change as it allows less levelled players to try out and use higher level stuff, encourages teamwork, capturing enemy vehicles etc

thetan_guy42 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 19, 2021

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Is XP ever coming back to Portal?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

thetan_guy42 posted:

Desert Combat was imo the best (unofficial) battlefield game ever made. Wonder what those guys went on to

They got bought out by DICE, became DICE New York and helped make BF2. Then EA/DICE shuttered the studio. (so basically every EA acquisition) The original team went on to make Frontlines: Fuel of War and Homefront

Cutedge posted:

Is XP ever coming back to Portal?

Soon™

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Its bad, but not that bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sedisp posted:

Wait till November 30th. There's quite literally two guns in the game that are even worth using.

Even ignoring the lack of gun balance, there just need to be more guns. It's goofy that there are gun types with literally just two options. I was spoiled by starting BF5 only a few months ago, though I still imagine it must have had more options than this to start with.

I wanted to keep using shotguns for the variety, but it reached the point where I was just nerfing myself too heavily. As far as I can tell, the second shotgun is kind of pointless since it can't one-shot people up close and most other guns (namely PP-29) can easily kill you before you can fire a second shot. The first can do one-shot kills, but is seemingly just "a less versatile PP-29 that only works at very close range."

I've started using the first LMG. I would normally use something more like the marksman rifle, but my game stutters with it (I have the ADS blurring stuff turned off, but I think it's a CPU bottleneck thing since CPU is capped while GPU is usually at 70-80% and changing graphics settings does nothing - I think I really hosed up by getting an i5 back when I made my PC, since it seems like a lot of games are built for the 8-core CPUs in consoles.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Trip report on the autoshotgun: It's good.The PeePee gun is overall much better obviously, but the autoshotgun makes for a decent alternative if you're doing a lot of house fighting. If you're on point with reactions and aim, not many can beat you up close.

The autoshotgun is effective at longer ranges than I thought too, and I'm looking forward to unlocking slugs and extended magazine to test those out too

I'm looking forward to unlocking this, though it's going to be a while (I think I'm rank 26 now).

As someone who is presumably a shotgun user, what do you think about the second shotgun? I can't figure out the point of it. It's certainly more accurate at medium ranges than the first, but in a way that seems kind of pointless when you could just be using a different gun type.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had more than once see some presumable enemy (no blue marker) landing his wingsuit and be apparently invincible. I unloaded like a whole LCMG mag into him and he shrugged it off (or didn't notice?).

I've had the same thing, it seems to be marking teammates as enemies sometimes.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Even ignoring the lack of gun balance, there just need to be more guns. It's goofy that there are gun types with literally just two options. I was spoiled by starting BF5 only a few months ago, though I still imagine it must have had more options than this to start with.

BFV had 30 primary weapons and 7 secondary launch to 2042's 19 primaries and 3 secondaries. BF1 had 24 primaries (not counting variants) and 17 secondaries.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, i sometimes see teammates that just don't have the blue dot iff and everyone on the team starts shooting them until they realize they aren't doing any damage

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Ytlaya posted:

I wanted to keep using shotguns for the variety, but it reached the point where I was just nerfing myself too heavily. As far as I can tell, the second shotgun is kind of pointless since it can't one-shot people up close and most other guns (namely PP-29) can easily kill you before you can fire a second shot. The first can do one-shot kills, but is seemingly just "a less versatile PP-29 that only works at very close range."

I've started using the first LMG. I would normally use something more like the marksman rifle, but my game stutters with it (I have the ADS blurring stuff turned off, but I think it's a CPU bottleneck thing since CPU is capped while GPU is usually at 70-80% and changing graphics settings does nothing - I think I really hosed up by getting an i5 back when I made my PC, since it seems like a lot of games are built for the 8-core CPUs in consoles.

I'm looking forward to unlocking this, though it's going to be a while (I think I'm rank 26 now).

As someone who is presumably a shotgun user, what do you think about the second shotgun? I can't figure out the point of it. It's certainly more accurate at medium ranges than the first, but in a way that seems kind of pointless when you could just be using a different gun type.

The standard shotgun is a gimmick and not really that good, it's just too slow and the killing power at midrange is super unreliable. Though I haven't unlocked many attachments for the regular shottie so I dont know if those upgrade it a lot or not. The 2nd "shotgun" is just a much worse SVK rifle so it feels pretty pointless. The autoshotty is the best one so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

The standard shotgun is a gimmick and not really that good, it's just too slow and the killing power at midrange is super unreliable. Though I haven't unlocked many attachments for the regular shottie so I dont know if those upgrade it a lot or not. The 2nd "shotgun" is just a much worse SVK rifle so it feels pretty pointless. The autoshotty is the best one so far

It seems like "slow firing close-range weapon" is inherently very limited, since below a certain firing rate you're basically guaranteed to lose against multiple enemies unless they gently caress up (since there's a pretty high minimal time to kill them - the delay between shots - while with other guns you can instantly start shooting the second target after the first).