Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't the Jean/Wolverine thing one of those things where like, it kind of got bigger in adaptations/other versions than it ever was in the main comics and then it kinda bounced back into the main comics. Like it was in the movies quite a bit and Ultimate X-Men (where Wolverine literally purposefully lets Cyclops die on a mission so he can get with a teenage Jean Grey and it's extremely weird) and a lot of What Ifs and alternate universes play it up. Then people who were fans of those things got to writing main X-Men comics and the result was that stuff became more prominent there?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it. Much like how after the GOTG movie hit it big, those characters (well at least Star-Lord and Drax, I don't know a lot about the others pre-movie) changed to fit the more popular mold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it. Much like how after the GOTG movie hit it big, those characters (well at least Star-Lord and Drax, I don't know a lot about the others pre-movie) changed to fit the more popular mold.

Iirc Groot also changed after the movie, he was only saying "I Am Groot" in the comics too, but it was because of an injury after... Annihilation Conquest?, after the movie they treated it as if he always only said that and it was its own unique language or something for a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also I kind of wish we would get a kick rear end fight scene from Cassandra. That's kind of her whole thing. Then again the action in this show has never been it's strongest suit, so I'm not even sure they could pull it off if they tried.

While I'm looking forward to the Batgirls comic, Cass' image has needed some serious boosts for a while. It seems like they focus on 'is quiet' and 'can fight' and turn her more into a victim than she should be and just use 'can fight' as a way to job her out to show off somebody else.

TwoPair posted:

Rocket and Gamora are pretty much the same, although for a while Gamora had a weird 'talk like an alien thing' by like calling Star-Lord 'Peter-Human' or similar.

(Sidenote: The Guardians video game is excellent and everyone should play it.)

Adnor posted:

Iirc Groot also changed after the movie, he was only saying "I Am Groot" in the comics too, but it was because of an injury after... Annihilation Conquest?, after the movie they treated it as if he always only said that and it was its own unique language or something for a while.

I think it was Maximus the Inhuman who during that War of Kings... thing was the first to go on about how eloquent Groot was because he also understood, uh, Planet Xian.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-Men Evolution Rogue is more like 80’s Rogue than 90’s Rogue.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think Groot saying only "I am Groot" is all that funny, and it definitely isn't very interesting, so it's just a bit that ends up handicapping one of the characters on the team.

Groot's original schtick was talking like an evil alien overlord, because that's where he got his start in the comics, which might not be that funny either, but at least it was something.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I never watched X-Men Evolution, but I always felt, and still kind of do although maybe the show does a better job of it - that making Rogue a goth kind of misses part of the point of the character.

I'm pretty sure that Evolution was just following what the movie did with Rogue, but yeah it's more on the side of reinventing the character than interpreting so far as adaptations go. I guess a lot also comes from how that version of Rogue doesn't have the super strength, and it's hard not to be confident when you've got powers like that, but if she just has the absorption and that's her main characteristic, then that makes her more fragile and puts more focus on how she's only useful when hurting people.

Maybe it could also be more like what Rogue was like before Mystique finished training her.

thebardyspoon posted:

Isn't the Jean/Wolverine thing one of those things where like, it kind of got bigger in adaptations/other versions than it ever was in the main comics and then it kinda bounced back into the main comics. Like it was in the movies quite a bit and Ultimate X-Men (where Wolverine literally purposefully lets Cyclops die on a mission so he can get with a teenage Jean Grey and it's extremely weird) and a lot of What Ifs and alternate universes play it up. Then people who were fans of those things got to writing main X-Men comics and the result was that stuff became more prominent there?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't even in the comics until the cartoon invented it as an extra element to generate tension between Wolverine and Cyclops. At least, not there as an element beyond everyone in the comic being horny for Jean as the one girl around. I think she even quit the team when Wolverine and the rest of the international characters joined, and I'm not sure when she rejoined, but she spent a long while being dead after the Dark Phoenix saga and when she came back, she wasn't even on the same team as Wolverine for a long while.

The character of Jean Grey has kinda gotten a bad deal by being consumed in constantly dying and returning and getting a lot more focus on her as a love interest instead of having a personality of her own.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlternateNu posted:

I never followed the actual X-men comics, but I thought the whole deal with Jean and Logan was that she never reciprocated. If that’s not the case, that already makes my head explode. :psyduck:

No she was absolutely attracted to him, just not as much as she was attracted to Scott.

Edit: In the current comics textually, Scott, Jean and Logan are a thouple.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 20, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I really hope the MCU gives us a proper sassy southern Rogue.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The character of Jean Grey has kinda gotten a bad deal by being consumed in constantly dying and returning and getting a lot more focus on her as a love interest instead of having a personality of her own.

And I really hope they don't even think about touching the 'lol Jean dead' angle for a long, long while.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It'll never happen but I think you could take the Claremont run and make a decent show out of it in a modern setting. It would be a nice way to use the classic arcs and have them building up to stuff like new mutants and the "too many xmen" stuff at the end of his run.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUmPILALXI

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skwirl posted:

Pryde of the X-Men had a pilot episode, that's it.

Wasn't Wolverine Australian in that one?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's the one! I mean, that's the one, mate.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mister Kingdom posted:

Pretty sure you're getting that mixed up with when the X-Men appeared in an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, he was Australian in both. Which I guess means that Spiderman and his Amazing Friends is in the same universe.

Honestly, making Wolverine Australian seems like it works. The character plays more into Australian stereotypes than Canadian, and since that particular team roster had an international focus, Australia is more exotic than Canada. The movies also cast Wolverine as an Australian. And X-Men: Evolution, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

It'll never happen but I think you could take the Claremont run and make a decent show out of it in a modern setting. It would be a nice way to use the classic arcs and have them building up to stuff like new mutants and the "too many xmen" stuff at the end of his run.

There’s a surprising amount of Claremont in the 90s cartoon, including deep cuts like the evil Professor X projection with the yellow cape. It’s all just refracted through the 90s characters and sensibility.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Nah, he was Australian in both. Which I guess means that Spiderman and his Amazing Friends is in the same universe.

Honestly, making Wolverine Australian seems like it works. The character plays more into Australian stereotypes than Canadian, and since that particular team roster had an international focus, Australia is more exotic than Canada. The movies also cast Wolverine as an Australian. And X-Men: Evolution, too.

Not to mention Australia is famous for its wolverines.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
When you say Wolverine these days everyone thinks of an Australian anyway

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really love that Hugh Jackman didn't know that wolverines were a real animal and he did all this character study stuff to add wolf aspects to his performance.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

evolution absolutely does not cast wolverine as australian, he's played by an australian but he's not using an australian accent

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SlothfulCobra posted:

Logan is a friend to the animals, and if he was Australian, Weapon X would probably never have recruited him, because you have to be stupid to be friendly with the fauna they got down there

Besides, Captain Boomerang doesn't need the competition

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I never watched X-Men Evolution, but I always felt, and still kind of do although maybe the show does a better job of it - that making Rogue a goth kind of misses part of the point of the character.
Like while I am familiar with a lot of Marvel comics, I admit the X-Men were ones I never got into by and large - too daunting. Although I grew up with the cartoons and whatnot. But yeah, I always felt like part of the basic premise of the 'modern' incarnation of Rogue (I know she started off as a villain and whatnot) was a deliberate irony/juxtaposition. You have this vivacious, sexualized, Southern belle who seems pretty upbeat, but is actually one of the characters with one of the most hosed up and tragic backstories. She seriously injured or killed the first person she was ever in love with, and has been damned to basically never know physical intimacy - even something as simple as a hand on her face. That beneath the rough and tumble verve you've got this person who is deeply hurting and hiding their pain and carrying on as best they can, although from time to time it surfaces.

Which, I mean, maybe it's me, but feels also like besides a good storytelling concept in general, something that is profoundly resonant to anyone who has struggled with depression or with living as a persecuted minority. Having to put on a smile and live your life despite all your trauma.

But eh. Does Evolution hold up? My cousin swears by it but, as I said, never grew up with it like he did. OG TAS was my childhood X-Men.

I also grew up with TAS in the 90s and little me thought Wolverine was the coolest dude ever. That being said, I feel comfortable in declaring X-Men Evolution the superior show in every way. Okay, the 90s opening was better, but Evo had great in show music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kgoRvp57E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QehFBGcmFs&t=427s

Unfortunately I can't find the full unedited fight with Apocalypse but here is Pyro watching the ending on instant replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecPgWj4jpw

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Unfortunately I can't find the full unedited fight with Apocalypse but here is Pyro watching the ending on instant replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecPgWj4jpw

this might actually be my favorite little moment in the series; Pyro, one of Magneto's acolytes, watching Magneto get completely vaporized by Apocalypse on a loop and laughing his head off

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Lmao that Pyro guy owns.

But also lmao at Pyro
"hey what's your mutant power?"
"oh so i can manipulate fire to make a fire dragon, so i got these flamethrowers on my arms so that i can shoot fire to make that fire dragon"
"and what does the fire dragon do?"
"shoot fire"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MorningMoon posted:

Lmao that Pyro guy owns.

But also lmao at Pyro
"hey what's your mutant power?"
"oh so i can manipulate fire to make a fire dragon, so i got these flamethrowers on my arms so that i can shoot fire to make that fire dragon"
"and what does the fire dragon do?"
"shoot fire"

To be fair, the popular definition of "pyrokinetic" including the ability to create fire was always kind of boring. Just being to manipulate it creates more interesting scenarios.

This is why fire benders in Avatar were always the most boring. :colbert:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The hard part of a flamethrower is getting some kind of distance and maintaining contact, so if you had control over that bit, then you can do a whole lot more. A normal person wears that outfit and they just set their own hands on fire.

It kinda makes sense that more people with superpowers would have some kind of gadget to augment their abilities, or even need a gadget for their abilities to reach their full potential, but it's not done all that often because it gets complicated and later writers forget a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

To be fair, the popular definition of "pyrokinetic" including the ability to create fire was always kind of boring. Just being to manipulate it creates more interesting scenarios.

This is why fire benders in Avatar were always the most boring. :colbert:

Fire Benders in Avatar can shoot lightning which is super rad. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Fire Benders in Avatar can shoot lightning which is super rad. :colbert:

Also M Night changed it so they did need a source and it is basically balancing them the complete opposite way (it makes them literally the weakest ones) and inverts the whole self-image that leads to their imperialism; instead of "hey, we're the only ones who don't need an external medium to use our magic, we're superior" as the propaganda, it becomes "we must stop the 'dangerous others' who can destroy us by using the very air we breath and water we drink" which is still doable as a story but it's a different story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Alaois posted:

this might actually be my favorite little moment in the series; Pyro, one of Magneto's acolytes, watching Magneto get completely vaporized by Apocalypse on a loop and laughing his head off

I don't think any of his Acolytes - except, oddly once again, Sabretooth - really liked him. Pyro is clearly just a psycho who probably enjoys any chance he gets to burn poo poo, I don't recall what Gambit's deal was, and I'm pretty sure Mags blackmailed Colossus into working for him via threat of hurting Colossus' family. He does something similar to Angel to try and get him on his side, turning a mob against him.

Also once again, I can't figure out what the show wants us to think of Magneto. I guess it's a perfect encapsulation of just how much he's varied over the years. I talked earlier about the show's ending but there's also stuff like an old, sickly, and helpless Magneto guilt tripping Nightcrawler about 'are you that much like your mother?" as Kurt prepares to kill him. . Only, back in season 1, we get nightmarish images of Mystique and baby Kurt being hounded by Magneto who is basically a shadowy demon in a horror movie pursuing his victim and she's just a mother trying to protect her son from some experiments he was apparently trying to do to him.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 21, 2021

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I know I shouldn't let myself be annoyed by issues of realism in superhero shows, but (in the latest episode of Young Justice), I was a little put off by how Artemis and her friends went cave-diving without any flashlights. You also need specialized equipment to go cave-diving.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only equipment you need when cave-diving is a gravestone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Be careful who you refuse cave-diving equipment from. You might get accused of being a pedophile.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think any of his Acolytes - except, oddly once again, Sabretooth - really liked him. Pyro is clearly just a psycho who probably enjoys any chance he gets to burn poo poo, I don't recall what Gambit's deal was, and I'm pretty sure Mags blackmailed Colossus into working for him via threat of hurting Colossus' family. He does something similar to Angel to try and get him on his side, turning a mob against him.

considering evolution gambit, he probably just offered to pay him a lot of money

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
90's Wolverine probably would be into Neon Genesis Evangelion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zh9MbZCCZk

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm finishing up the most recent Spider-Man cartoon and I gotta say, there is one twist I did not see coming, lol

Miles' dad is Swarm? I guess it's their take on Uncle Prowler. But man, first Bendis names him Jefferson Davis and then here they make him the one Spider-Man villain who in the comics is a straight-up Nazi.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
oh man, i forgot about the swarm thing. Total "we thought we were at least getting another half-season..." vibes. Glad we got to hear Miles say "I think my dad is made of bees"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Story-wise it does seem like the show was cut off early in some respects but on the other hand that fight in the same episode against the Venom-Jackal hybrid of you-know-who had intentional "go out with a bang" vibes. I was thinking whoa, where has this animation been the whole time?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mister Kingdom posted:

I think I figured out WHY they did that.

Basically over in Australia "Bub" is a slang to describe a baby. ("Put a Bib on the Bub." is a saying my sister-in-law uses all the time.)
So maybe one of the writers was familiar with this slang and when they saw Wolverine calling people Bub, they assumed he was an Aussie?

It also makes it doubly cute when you get a new baby and dress them in a Wolverine onsie. So they can be a Bub who Bubs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Question IRL posted:

I think I figured out WHY they did that.

Basically over in Australia "Bub" is a slang to describe a baby. ("Put a Bib on the Bub." is a saying my sister-in-law uses all the time.)
So maybe one of the writers was familiar with this slang and when they saw Wolverine calling people Bub, they assumed he was an Aussie?

It also makes it doubly cute when you get a new baby and dress them in a Wolverine onsie. So they can be a Bub who Bubs.

Hmm, so how does 1993's "Best New Character" Bubsy factor in?

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

there was a brief pop culture fascination with Australia after Crocodile Dundee made like three hundred million dollars in mid-eighties money and everybody wanted to hop on that gravy train.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also Logan's past was way more mysterious in 1989 than it is today, so a cartoon taking liberties with it was way less outrageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t think his past being mysterious was even a big thing until the 90s. For most of Claremont’s run, he’s just a guy who has been a lot of places and done a lot of things, and some leprechauns tell him that he’s a mutated wolverine. I don’t even know when him being extremely long-lived became part of the character, but it seems like his past being a mystery that appears as a frequent plot element is a post-Claremont thing that coincides with him becoming more popular than the rest of the X-Men.