Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If I had any complaints about Cowboy Bebop after five episodes it's that they are taking music right from the anime but cutting it off when it gets to the vocals, especially with the 'weirder' tracks. If you're gonna play Chicken Bone I wanna hear the whole thing, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

Javier Grillo-Marxuach. He created The Middleman

Everyone should watch The Middleman, it is so good!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Gaunab posted:

Is the live action Cowboy Bebop really just an almost shot for shot remake of the anime?

Not even remotely, is is an actual honest to god adaptation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Now that Foundation is over, would anyone recommend watching it? I know it's gotten mixed reviews. I feel asleep during the first 2 eps when they premiered. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cowboy Bebop reminds me of the Adam West Batman with better production values. It's cheesy fun but not much more than that. But that's just 3 episodes in. It often looks like people cosplaying the anime because the costumes look kind of stupid. The Xena comparison made above is great.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Nov 20, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Josh Lyman posted:

Now that Foundation is over, would anyone recommend watching it? I know it's gotten mixed reviews. I feel asleep during the first 2 eps when they premiered. :(

It's typical prestige tv where the goal is to keep the show on the air as long as possible, so the first season is mostly filler. It's very pretty and worth a watch if you are bored, but ultimately a gigantic waste of money.
Maybe something will happen in season two, but who knows.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Haters be damned, Bebop is a blast so far.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Josh Lyman posted:

absolutely not it's infuriating. the writing is dungeon tier, acting is pretty bad and the editing is also trash. anyone who likes it should be questioned intensely in a room with 3am at the local 7/11 lighting and a single folding chair

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Foundation is overall mediocre but really excels with all of the Lee Pace stuff. It’s about on par with Alteree Carbon, for me...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

No. It doesn't really do anything. Lee Pace just does a fancy faux-British faughn faughn faughn accent and reads tedious lines of dialogue and everyone else sucks even worse.

Watched the new ST:Discovery.

Still sucks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bebop is mostly good but Vicious is AWFUL and a lot of Faye’s dialogue is kinda late-00s tryhard. Knowing it’s all leading to that terrible Ed scene can be quite depressing, too. But the overall experience of watching it is a very nice time!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I haven’t watched the finale yet, but I really don’t think it’s as bad as everyone here and in the streaming thread has made it out to be. The colonist stuff sucks but the Lee Pace & Co. genetic dynasty plots have been legitimately interesting and the show itself is kinda pretty. I don’t know why goons tend to be particularly hyperbolic about mediocre sci-fi, but I’ve watched far worse.

I did finish Midnight Mass tonight though, and you should definitely watch that before spending any time with Foundation.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Foundation is fine, very pretty, I enjoy it, but it also just makes me wish we could get that amount of money for a Legend of Galactic Heroes show.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Oasx posted:

Everyone should watch The Middleman, it is so good!

To this day whenever I see Natalie Morales pop up in various shows I hear "Wendy Watson" in Noser's cadence in my head. I didn't know Grillo-Marxuach had anything to do with the live action Cowboy Bebop but hell, that alone has me interested.

Hakkesshu posted:

Foundation is fine, very pretty, I enjoy it, but it also just makes me wish we could get that amount of money for a Legend of Galactic Heroes show.

A good live action adaptation of LoGH is something too good and pure for this hellworld we live in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the first 2 eps of Sex Lives of College Girls. It starts a little twee and try hard, but the characters are pretty decent and it’s fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Foundation is ok as long as you go into it with no expectations that it has anything to do with Foundation

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Heavy Metal posted:

Duuuuuuuude, you gotta, it'll knock your socks off. Knowing some of your taste in retro and cinema fan wild stuff, I think the Bebop anime would add at least eighteen buckets of popcorn to your cinema experience level. Oh lord it's good.

And a bonus round, a couple other anime greats from around 98: Berserk, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

Only one question if I do, subs or dubs?

On one hand, "the original Japanese is always better", and it's that time of year where my furnace is blasting my ear drums every few minutes so I'm leaning subs, but on the other hand maybe Cowboy Bebop is the rare anime where either the dub is really good or at least passable with a good translation.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Azhais posted:

Foundation is ok as long as you go into it with no expectations that it has anything to do with Foundation

This seems to be a general trend recently…

Curious, I haven’t read Foundation, just how different is it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hakkesshu posted:

It feels like the person running Foundation is frustrated that they didn't get to make Dune, so they put Dune things into foundation.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hakkesshu posted:

The show actively and purposely undermines the themes and central premise of the books while pretending to pay homage.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Lee Pace real good, though. Worth the watch just for that and the productions values. You’ve all watched much worse...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Lee Pace real good, though. Worth the watch just for that and the productions values. You’ve all watched much worse...

Speaking of much worse, for some reason I thought Manifest had only one season before it was canceled. Turns out it has 3 seasons, and I guess Netflix saved it for a 4th? Is it worth getting in to?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My wife watched it and from what I’ve seen no it isn’t worth watching at all.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You’ve all watched much worse...

It Apple had spent $45 million on a bad show it would at least have been a newsworthy trainwreck instead of just being mediocre.

I personally think that the Lee Pace stuff is the least interesting part of the show, but no matter what you would be better off watching Pushing Daisies or Halt and Catch Fire if you want some Lee Pace in your life.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The directing in the live action Bebop is awkward in a lot of places where it looks like it's following animation scene direction if that makes sense. It definitely takes some getting used to and the moody jazz contrast with the brightly lit scenes. Only on the fifth episode so far.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I might just be blind but it is there no Tiger King season 2 thread?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cowboy Bebop remake is weird, not nearly as bad as anyone expected or are freaking out about. The biggest problem is that it's trying to be way too much like the anime, which I get that impulse to maybe appease the die-hard loyals but that's such a foolish path, nobody like that is ever going to like the live-action remake of their beloved thing, even if they'll often state they desire them to change nothing. A medium change demands massive changes and remake also begs for changes, otherwise, what's the point? Making a semi realistic version of something that already exists, why?

Show should've really deviated from the plot of the anime, if I wanted to watch that again, I already did it a few weeks ago, so it's bizarre to just hear a kind of abridged version now.

The one thing I can't tell if they changed or if I've just been tuning this character out for most my life, but Vicious seems like he gets a lot more screentime for someone I would struggle to recall even exists in the show a few weeks ago. Either way, dude sucks, looks like Meth Witcher, and he's not scary, he seems like a creepy spoiled rich kid and nothing more.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

It feels like the person running Foundation is frustrated that they didn't get to make Dune, so they put Dune things into foundation.

He also learned everything he knows from Kevin J Anderson and thus all things are better with death stars

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VagueRant posted:

I might just be blind but it is there no Tiger King season 2 thread?

There’s on in gbs, but I think most people are over it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of much worse, for some reason I thought Manifest had only one season before it was canceled. Turns out it has 3 seasons, and I guess Netflix saved it for a 4th? Is it worth getting in to?

Is it a good show? Not really. Is it something interesting to put on while you eat dinner, yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Interesting is an interesting way to put it. I'd say it's worth watching if you enjoy the ride of a show-so-bad-its-bad-and-why-is-it-being-made-at-all and also if you aren't spending your time watching it and nothing else. To watch this show with unoccupied hands seems wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why I said to watch it while eating. It's not worth devoting all your attention to it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh sorry I forget a lot of people don't have hands-free feeders installed yet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s on in gbs, but I think most people are over it.

It's pretty clear that most of these documentaries only have enough story to last one season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m so happy The Great is back

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That's why I said to watch it while eating. It's not worth devoting all your attention to it.

I have been noticing lately that I can barely hear any external sounds while I am chewing. Is this normal or am I losing my hearing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hit Monkey is basically Jason Sudeikis vamping for 25 minutes while a monkey does over the top cartoon violence.

It's not a bad way to spend 25 minutes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

I have been noticing lately that I can barely hear any external sounds while I am chewing. Is this normal or am I losing my hearing?

Food-chewing can be kind of loud sometimes, depending on the food but like, chewing itself doesn't seem tm make noise harder to hear. Does it happen even if chew some gum?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I haven’t watched the finale yet, but I really don’t think it’s as bad as everyone here and in the streaming thread has made it out to be. The colonist stuff sucks but the Lee Pace & Co. genetic dynasty plots have been legitimately interesting and the show itself is kinda pretty. I don’t know why goons tend to be particularly hyperbolic about mediocre sci-fi, but I’ve watched far worse.

I did finish Midnight Mass tonight though, and you should definitely watch that before spending any time with Foundation.

bro gaal destroyed a ship by breaking a monitor lmao it a bad show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m so happy The Great is back