Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the Netflix show Arcane is really amazing and I can’t recommend it enough. reminds me of Howls Moving Castle a lot, which is one of my favorites, but honesty I really think it is better. Dazzling artwork and animation, great voice acting, and a haunting spellbinding story. Easily one of the best things I’ve seen in years. I’m pretty blown away. and I know nothing at all about league of legends, it totally stands on its own. I hope they make more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there's a league of legends show?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m very suspicious of anything even tangentially related to league of legends

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i can confirm op's review

it's actually really good and i'm still surprised

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stereotype posted:

the Netflix show Arcane is really amazing and I can’t recommend it enough. reminds me of Howls Moving Castle a lot, which is one of my favorites, but honesty I really think it is better. Dazzling artwork and animation, great voice acting, and a haunting spellbinding story. Easily one of the best things I’ve seen in years. I’m pretty blown away. and I know nothing at all about league of legends, it totally stands on its own. I hope they make more.
whats ur take on cowboy bebop liveaction

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

whats ur take on cowboy bebop liveaction

I haven’t watched many, but so far it’s not good. my best explanation is that it feels like an off-Broadway play of the original show. uninspired, visually pretty dull, uneven and sometimes just straight bad acting, but most importantly it doesn’t add anything to the original series, it’s just a faithful retelling of it. I’m sure I’ll watch more but I’m not excited about it (not that I ever was or was expecting much more). I’m not sure if someone unfamiliar with the original would like it or even understand it at all. I see why everyone is badmouthing it.

Arcane conversely is legitimately a creative masterpiece. it’s phenomenal. I was shocked too since it’s a video game thing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not going to watch the league of legends show because only psychopaths play that game. bebop is aight i watched the first two last night. it sure is a thing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
jonny watch the show it’s really good

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the Imagine Dragons theme song and soundtrack is a bit angsty teenager cringe but I’ll forgive it. I’ve never played league and know nothing about the game. it’s TF2 right? or is it like DotA?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

jonny watch the show it’s really good

Stereotype posted:

the Imagine Dragons theme song

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol I know, i don’t know what’s up with their relationship to the show but they do a lot of the soundtrack. they have a weird cameo in one episode. as I said it’s the show’s only sin and I can forgive them for it. there’s also an orchestral score that’s very well done that is more classical as well as a few other punctuated styles but the music really does end up adding to the environment and is not a detriment within the episodes, but yes 100% skip the intro every single time because you will feel like a teenage girl otherwise.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
how bad is the new wheel of time series should i even try to watch it???

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

*smooth smooth*
*tug tug*

mystes
May 31, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I watched a tiny bit and it wasn't actively offensive or anything, just amazingly bland for how much they apparently spent on it. It feels almost like they took a show that would have aired on network tv 20 years ago and remastered it in HD with modern effects.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stereotype posted:

I haven’t watched many, but so far it’s not good. my best explanation is that it feels like an off-Broadway play of the original show. uninspired, visually pretty dull, uneven and sometimes just straight bad acting, but most importantly it doesn’t add anything to the original series, it’s just a faithful retelling of it. I’m sure I’ll watch more but I’m not excited about it (not that I ever was or was expecting much more). I’m not sure if someone unfamiliar with the original would like it or even understand it at all. I see why everyone is badmouthing it.
i wouldn't say visually dull but otherwise agreed. we're 2 eps deep and it's aggressively just OK. but then again i liked the stilt and artifice of the speedracer movie.

deffo get why everyone's ornery about it too lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

how does wot compare to the mtv shannara show

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

how does wot compare to the mtv shannara show
I feel insane saying this, but based on the first episode or two of wot maybe actually worse? Like it doesn't look better or feel like more of a prestige drama, and it's just more boring? Less teen drama but it's like if you took the teen drama out of shannara so it was literally just a husk with nothing left.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 20, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kenny Logins posted:

i wouldn't say visually dull but otherwise agreed. we're 2 eps deep and it's aggressively just OK. but then again i liked the stilt and artifice of the speedracer movie.

deffo get why everyone's ornery about it too lol

Yeah this is kinda my take on it. i get why you would hate it, but also i'm ok with just fuckin around with whatever. i like the 3 main actors (faye text me plz) and it's not the same show but it's still a pretty okay show

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mystes posted:

I feel insane saying this, but based on the first episode or two of wot maybe actually worse? Like it doesn't look better or feel like more of a prestige drama, and it's just more boring? Less teen drama but it's like if you took the teen drama out of shannara so it was literally just a husk with nothing left.

man that’s dire

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i watched shanara but it was hard and i almost gave up

if wot puts me to sleep then at least i’ll stay caught up on sleep trying to get thru it.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
also magic always looks stupid on television - people doing orgasm faces and waving their arms while CGI swirls around them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

at least with magicians you got the occasional finger dexterity show

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

also magic always looks stupid on television - people doing orgasm faces and waving their arms while CGI swirls around them.

the wizard fight in Isengard in the lord of the rings movies is the best wizard fight because it looks like they’re getting physically slapped against giant slabs of obsidian glass and has the sounds to match.

if you are gonna magic fight it should be using the magic to physically punch each other.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

The Magicians reconciled this truth by just having hot girls in short skirts do the magic

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

The Fool posted:

at least with magicians you got the occasional finger dexterity show

the finger tutting was pretty cool tbh

made me wish the source material was better. i always liked the idea of magic as an academic discipline that was more akin to math or science than the "yer a wizard now 'arry" garbage but goddamn the whole lion, the witch, and the wardrobe bits about fillory were just so bad and pointless

mystes
May 31, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

the finger tutting was pretty cool tbh

made me wish the source material was better. i always liked the idea of magic as an academic discipline that was more akin to math or science than the "yer a wizard now 'arry" garbage but goddamn the whole lion, the witch, and the wardrobe bits about fillory were just so bad and pointless
The thing that was most hilarious about the Magicians books was that before the second and third book came out, all these goons in the Book Barn were dead set on this interpretation of the first book that gave it WAY too much credit (that it was some kind of deconstruction of fantasy as a genre) and that interpretation was just completely loving obliterated by the actual direction the books went in (the author was just obsessed with narnia, lol).

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this tiktok girl hand dance thing would be a cool magic method

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8pxUHmV/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Stereotype posted:

this tiktok girl hand dance thing would be a cool magic method

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8pxUHmV/
https://youtu.be/C5G3XKsq7Ic

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
red velvet are witches then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCWoUUWwdqg

mystes
May 31, 2006

As not generally excited about kpop as I am, I would actually be okay with a tv show where magic was done by kpop dancing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're going to laugh but this weekend i'm actually obsessed by a new jpop group i found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drCopBcrxRM

they dance SO HARD

also they dress like bridesmaids

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stereotype posted:

arcane is insanely loving good and every frame of animation looks like it could have been hand-painted concept art. knowing stuff about league is totally not a requirement but definitely gives you a few "oh hey, that's neat" insight into some sight gags in the background here and there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just realized that this is neither the sci-fi thread or the james thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no its fine we're just letting a little bit of air out for evidently this nerd contingent really into warcraft 2 mods

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
or whateverrrrr this poo poo is

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
what am i supposed to click on every thread? no, i will stick to the handful of threads i bookmarked at some point and post all of my thoughts to those

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Jonny watch the drat show, even just the first episode. You won't regret it

Look at that shot. That is a random establishing shot from a random episode i clicked on with zero main characters in it in a location that is visited just this once in the entire series and LOOK AT HOW DETAILED IT IS. every single shot is like that. the amount of work that went into this series is insane and honestly it's sort of funny that the fact that it has the "league of legends" name attached to it seems to be a significant drag, since it is a cinematic masterpiece just on its own. they should have just called it "arcane" and never once mentioned league

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stereotype posted:

Jonny watch the drat show, even just the first episode. You won't regret it

Look at that shot. That is a random establishing shot from a random episode i clicked on with zero main characters in it in a location that is visited just this once in the entire series and LOOK AT HOW DETAILED IT IS. every single shot is like that. the amount of work that went into this series is insane and honestly it's sort of funny that the fact that it has the "league of legends" name attached to it seems to be a significant drag, since it is a cinematic masterpiece just on its own. they should have just called it "arcane" and never once mentioned league
Tell him it's anime.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's french anime, like that daft punk one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stereotype posted:

the amount of work that went into this series is insane and honestly it's sort of funny that the fact that it has the "league of legends" name attached to it seems to be a significant drag, since it is a cinematic masterpiece just on its own. they should have just called it "arcane" and never once mentioned league

imo most impressively it's got a 100% on rotten tomatoes, even *with* the league of legends connection