Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Prayin for a ~~~TABLEAU~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

802.11weed posted:

here's my prediction: cops are gonna find the dead body and blame harrison , dexter will confess to save him

This seems like the right balance of redemption and justice. Dexter should rot in jail and have to be exposed in court and poo poo, closure for his victims families, etc so I hope he doesn't get an easy way out via being murdered.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

802.11weed posted:

here's my prediction: cops are gonna find the dead body and blame harrison , dexter will confess to save him

this or something like it seems pretty plausible to me as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

George H.W. oval office posted:

Prayin for a ~~~TABLEAU~~~

Or 15 mentions of PSYCHOPATH in one episode.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I legit liked Deb mocking Dexter this episode

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Caros posted:

Iron lake, New York. Town is fictional, and it was recorded in Massachusetts. Basically upstate New York.

This makes it funny to me, as a Canadian, since they depict it as this freezing winter wilderness that is like, ten degrees south latitude from where I am.

They are up in heavy rear end jackets and it is like -5 out. Max. It is colder than that here now, and it isn't even winter yet. I went shovelling in my t-shirt this morning, you goddamn baby.

extremely canadian post

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

clown shoes posted:

I think the worst thing that could come out of this show is it becomes a hit and Showtime runs it into the ground again and has a lovely ending many seasons later. This will ultimately lead to a third revival series in ten years.

I'm predicting more of a Heroes Reborn scenario.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Just started this and "You look just like I remember." sorrt of nails it — like drat, Michael C. Hall, way to beat lymphoma and not look worse for wear.

This has been loving boring as an intro so far but with the line "He'll be safer with Hannah." the magic is back.

The actor playing Harrison is doing a good job being mad about how his biological didn't bother, at least given the alien dialogue he's got to work from.

So far one thing I like is that ghost Deb haunts Dexter and is a consequence for his actions, but I also sort of want trash mouthed Deb back.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 16, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shageletic posted:

extremely canadian post

It is, and is entirely accurate.

I get not being prepared for cold weather in Texas, but upstate New York? C'mon now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

So far one thing I like is that ghost Deb haunts Dexter and is a consequence for his actions, but I also sort of want trash mouthed Deb back.

She gets off a few fucks in the latest one, but it is missing her usual sweaty verbosity

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Man... I finally watched that second episode and I've got such mixed feelings. There's some (not a lot) solid writing, they're avoiding some bad-showrunner pitfalls, and even though I was fearing Deb's return I think her potty mouth mocking Dexter is pretty entertaining... but I mean... come on...

Where the gently caress is the intro sequence?! Dexter is not Dexter without that music and breakfast-making intro sequence. Seriously. I'm practically ready to call it quits.

Also I really like the actor who plays the dead guy's father. He'll be fun to watch.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 17, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DaveKap posted:

the actor who plays the dead guy's father. He'll be fun to watch.

"The actor" its motherfuckin Clancy Brown, man. Captain Hadley? Shoves batons up peoples asses?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

codo27 posted:

"The actor" its motherfuckin Clancy Brown, man. Captain Hadley? Shoves batons up peoples asses?

My first Clancy Brown was either Rawhide or Kurgan.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Ah, he's the best, and perfectly cast in Shawshank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVqz3tTtlB0

As good as he is, though he couldn't save John Dies At The End. Loved the book, hated the movie.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Devorum posted:

My first Clancy Brown was either Rawhide or Kurgan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4UhPuwoGE

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
He was pretty good in Detroit

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It only just occurred to me today - why did the girl locked in the murder room seem so comfortable and didn't question the sudden arrival of booze and nibbles?

Also, how did she not notice the lack of windows or door handle?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

She was poisoned, and you get the feeling that these things (not the windows) were done incrementally.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Stay in a cheap hostel that had a windowless room. Drink champagne that is drugged. Pass out. Your body is carried to an identical room without a way to leave.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to connect all these missing people to they all stayed in the same room, unless the killer has built an identical town out in the woods.

It's going to be something stupid like this all takes place out at the campground where Harrison went to party with the other kids.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume it's something the kid's parents don't know about

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"You already have diarrhea from those strawberries"

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

nerox posted:

unless the killer has built an identical town out in the woods.

please let it be this

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I didn't realize the oil baron and Clancy Brown were two different characters, but Dexter is definitely going to kill them both.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if the girl in the hotel room is a consenting adult and it's all just a role play?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I didn't realize the oil baron and Clancy Brown were two different characters, but Dexter is definitely going to kill them both.

And I bet anything the billionaire will turn out to be the owner of an orphan grindhouse or a puppy kicking factory too, so Dexter won't have any conflict about doing him in.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Cojawfee posted:

What if the girl in the hotel room is a consenting adult and it's all just a role play?

Masuka: I know exactly what happened here.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So apparently episode synopsis' can be read on Showtime's website, up to the eighth episode. Gonna put em here for anybody interested (spoiler marked of course).

3. Smoke Signals - Dexter hopes to have a chance to make things right with Harrison, which is proving to be tough to do when there’s a full-fledged crime investigation that Dexter himself has caused. Harrison joins the high school wrestling team and quickly makes a name for himself at school. Meanwhile, a true crime podcaster from LA arrives in Iron Lake and befriends Dexter’s police chief girlfriend.

4. H is for Hero - The father of the person whom Dexter killed makes a surprising announcement which could prove to be a huge problem for Dexter. Meanwhile, Dexter discovers Harrison was involved in a serious incident at the high school. And now this young newcomer is considered a hero to the entire town. Angela digs deeper into a missing persons case.

5. Runaway - Dexter’s method of protecting his son from drugs unleashes his Dark Passenger in a very impulsive way. Meanwhile Angela and Molly take a trip to New York City that leaves them wondering about a well-respected member of the community.

6. Too Many Tuna Sandwiches - Someone in Iron Lake has discovered Jim Lindsay’s secret identity, sending Dexter on the prowl to find out who it was. This pursuit leads him to realize that he might not be the only serial killer in town. Meanwhile Harrison spirals out of control during a wrestling match and Angela makes a dark discovery of her own.

7. Skin of Her Teeth - Dexter is worried that a serial killer may have set its sights on someone he cares deeply about. So, he turns from predator to protector… a role he’s not comfortable playing. Meanwhile Angela arrests someone from Iron Lake who may be the culprit of a cold case that is near and dear to her heart. Dexter and Harrison run into some more bumps in the road in their relationship, leading Harrison to turn to a very dangerous person as his father figure.

8. Big Game - Dexter fights for his life in the woods of Iron Lake, leading to a confrontation in an abandoned summer camp. Is there a better place for a serial killer to confront another violent killer? Harrison finds himself at a crossroads between two father figures who can lead him down two very different paths. Meanwhile Angela starts to make some disturbing discoveries of her own.

Lots of promising sounding stuff there, so I'm sure it'll end up boring as hell. How ridiculous are we betting Dexter's body count will be this year? I'm gonna guess about six.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The one thing I like is bringing in a true crime podcaster. Was hoping someone like that would show up and start making bold conclusions. The rest of it sounds pretty doofy, Harrison picking from another father figure, huh? That's gonna be convoluted as hell and the fact he is facing another serial killer makes me think Dexter will survive. Hopefully Angela discovering Dexter's past will lead him to jail since they're not going to have the badguy serial killer kill him. Or if he does, Dexter will die after he kills the serial killer or Harrison does and they'll talk as he dies.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The show's assumptions that babies found in a pool of blood turn out to be krazed killers is highly offensive to blood-bound babies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Speaking of true crime podcasters featured on shows, I recommend the mystery-comedy Only Murders in the Building. Great stuff.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Was hoping this third episode would have an actual intro but just the single title card again.

Edit: this CSI guy is the most competent cop that's ever appeared in Dexter

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 20, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So a few hours after learning there are cameras near the crime scene Dexter goes running around it. Good work.

Also my current guess is that the other killer is Dexters boss

Hahahahahaha.

So Dexter is back (for New Blood): A little Fargo don't you think?

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 20, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Could the show flag that Harrison is inspiring the bullied kid to become a school shooter any harder.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Senor Tron posted:

Also my current guess is that the other killer is Dexters boss
For anyone else who read this and kinda raised their eyebrow for the same reason I did, I went back to take a couple screenshots from episode 2.

They actually are trying to misdirect the audience. Huh.
To explain: Initially I thought they were just giving away that the billionaire is the secret serial killer but it turns out these are 2 completely different computers, just shot at the same angle against the same wooden background to make you think it's the billionaire watching the trapped ladies. It's almost clever! That said I wondered how the scrawny billionaire was filling out so much of that stupid hunters getup. And while we're talking about that, I have to think none of the killer's "fun" is your typical "man is the most dangerous game" kind of hunting when that was the most boring "most dangerous game" hunt you could possibly have. Someone running away from you in a straight line with a scope and a laser sight... why even bother?

Also I laughed really hard at the funny parts of this new episode so I feel less bad watching. However, unfortunate :lol: that Harrison is a genius and also Super Teen. When he said "I guess I just don't care what people think about me" I half-expected the girl to say "That's hot..."

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 21, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
nighttime ballet? ghost deb with a gun? iron mine vision quest? DEXTER IS BACK BABY, AND ITS GOOD

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i thought this was on sundays

actually wait. it is sunday. they have the early viewing thing right

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ghost Deb is awesome.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

DaveKap posted:

They actually are trying to misdirect the audience. Huh.

They also did something weird that might just be a production error where the hunter put on his whole get up and then the hand that opened the door was gloveless.

It does seem like they're hinting at a rich murder cult though; or something along those lines at least. Could always just be a red herring.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
So, a Hot Fuzz scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, a Hot Fuzz scenario?

Yeah that or something like True Detective but handled with Dexters hamfisted flavour. "Oh you're going to search there... *gulp*" :ohdear:

It was nice to see the actors had mastered eating their food without furiously chopping a salad and the plate it was on. So many leaps and bounds of improvements in New Blood.