Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Milosh posted:

Yellowjackets loving rules

Best pilot I’ve seen in a long time.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently FXX had become the rerun animation channel. Every day of the week from Noon to 4am is Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill, Cleveland Show, Bob's Burgers, and Archer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hit Monkey is basically Jason Sudeikis vamping for 25 minutes while a monkey does over the top cartoon violence.

It's not a bad way to spend 25 minutes.

It's a real easy watch. Blazed thru like 5 episodes this afternoon without even noticing it. Best comic book related thing in awhile

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shageletic posted:

It's a real easy watch. Blazed thru like 5 episodes this afternoon without even noticing it. Best comic book related thing in awhile

It's really something else. The end of episode 6 is probably my favorite. It's cool that there will actually be a season 2. But I have no clue what they intend to do with the thing in the last few seconds of the finale. That seems a bit weird to me.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 21, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

King Vidiot posted:

Only one question if I do, subs or dubs?

On one hand, "the original Japanese is always better", and it's that time of year where my furnace is blasting my ear drums every few minutes so I'm leaning subs, but on the other hand maybe Cowboy Bebop is the rare anime where either the dub is really good or at least passable with a good translation.

I'd say both ways are great for Bebop, maybe even try both across the first couple eps. Can't go wrong.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pilot is the roughest episode, but the Wheel of time is legit good. Glad it seems to be winning the twitter discourse this weekend. I want the whole loving series.

I think considering how it's doing on Amazon (number 1) that's a very good sign.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well I just finished the live-action Cowboy Bebop and liked it quite a bit. I am a fan of the anime but haven't actually seen it for many years, so I think I'm kind of in the sweet spot for the show where the things they were faithful to were evocative and the things they weren't didn't register for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LionArcher posted:

Pilot is the roughest episode, but the Wheel of time is legit good. Glad it seems to be winning the twitter discourse this weekend. I want the whole loving series.

I think considering how it's doing on Amazon (number 1) that's a very good sign.

Agreed 100%. I know they already renewed it for season 2 and 3 before it aired but this is a great sign it'll continue past that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

LionArcher posted:

Is that right? I watched the first episode and didn't really feel anything about it, so I didn't bother to continue. But if random SA users tell me it's good, I might reconsider.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Only one question if I do, subs or dubs?

On one hand, "the original Japanese is always better", and it's that time of year where my furnace is blasting my ear drums every few minutes so I'm leaning subs, but on the other hand maybe Cowboy Bebop is the rare anime where either the dub is really good or at least passable with a good translation.
I've only ever seen dubs and they're great. I assume subs are also great.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The American dub is good but I give a slight edge to the Japanese original. I think American Spike sounds too old. The Japanese guy sounds perfect.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is that right? I watched the first episode and didn't really feel anything about it, so I didn't bother to continue. But if random SA users tell me it's good, I might reconsider.
First half of first episode was meh and I paused a number of times but once it got going I had no trouble finishing eps 2 and 3.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Josh Lyman posted:

Now that Foundation is over, would anyone recommend watching it? I know it's gotten mixed reviews. I feel asleep during the first 2 eps when they premiered. :(
The twists don't pay off, the high points are primarily really cool looking CG, the screen writing is ultra-sloppy, and the really decent bits are too few and far between to recommend. They completely under-utilize Jared Harris and I will state again that the amount they actually have him on set vs the amount they used his name for advertising is worthy of false advertising litigation.
Watch episode 1 to see something awesome and leave it at that.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Random quarantine TV thoughts:

I'm happy that people are enjoying it but I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading praise for Wheel of Time. Just incredibly generic, boring "people in old-timey robes talking in a dark forest because we blew our budget on mediocre fast-cut special effects" tv. I couldn't get into See or Witcher, but at least they had some sense of a unique world, or identifiable characters. Also, they made some effort to help the audience suspend disbelief - the YA casting and feel has everyone looking like an LA model, just back from getting a facial-scrub and a new haircut.

Cowboy-Bebop is OK. Every time the actors exchange more than a word or two I feel like I'm watching a hoky stage-play intercut with with good special effects, but its colorful and fun enough to have on in the background.

Is Dave popular / doing well? Saw it mentioned once or twice here but haven't seen much discussion. I feel like its always teetering on the border of greatness - some amazing moments and great character insights but its a show with too many low-hanging gags and outs for the writers to be able to keep their hands off them.

Foundation: the above user said is completely right.

Invasion: What an odd show. I can't think of any other show thats spent so much money on very, very good production values in order to go nowhere and accomplish nothing. The idea is pretty cool but they do nothing with it.

False fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 21, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Slamhound posted:

I've only ever seen dubs and they're great. I assume subs are also great.

Yeah, part of why I was leaning dubs was that that was the version that most people outside of Japan know, specifically from that Adult Swim run. Anything live action I'll go with subs 100% but it's up in the air with animated features and series. It really just depends on what has the better translation and voice acting.

Like I loved Lupin when it was on around the same time as Cowboy Bebop back in the 00s, but I hated that the translation for the dub inserted a bunch of modern references into a show that was so obviously set in the 60s. The subbed version from the DVDs didn't have those random references, but it was also really sloppily translated and awkward.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

False posted:

Random quarantine TV thoughts:

I'm happy that people are enjoying it but I feel like I'm in bizarro world reading praise for Wheel of Time. Just incredibly generic, boring "people in old-timey robes talking in a dark forest because we blew our budget on mediocre fast-cut special effects" tv. I couldn't get into See or Witcher, but at least they had some sense of a unique world, or identifiable characters. Also, they made some effort to help the audience suspend disbelief - the YA casting and feel has everyone looking like an LA model, just back from getting a facial-scrub and a new haircut.

Cowboy-Bebop is OK. Every time the actors exchange more than a word or two I feel like I'm watching a hoky stage-play intercut with with good special effects, but its colorful and fun enough to have on in the background.

Is Dave popular / doing well? Saw it mentioned once or twice here but haven't seen much discussion. I feel like its always teetering on the border of greatness - some amazing moments and great character insights but its a show with too many low-hanging gags and outs for the writers to be able to keep their hands off them.

Foundation: the above user said is completely right.

Invasion: What an odd show. I can't think of any other show thats spent so much money on very, very good production values in order to go nowhere and accomplish nothing. The idea is pretty cool but they do nothing with it.

I loving loved Dave and talked about it here. The weird thing is that it only pays off after 2 seasons lol first time that's happened

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dave is a good show yeah

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

False posted:

I’m enjoying it even if the pacing is weird.

If you see the potential in it and don’t like the execution, check out the War of the Worlds remake on Starz (2019). It’s really good and Invasion feels heavily cribbed from it.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks to everyone who provided reccs for me and boomer-mom. We bounced off Only Murders in the Building, but are now 8 eps into The Expanse. She loves UN Grandma and Amos.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

navyjack posted:

Thanks to everyone who provided reccs for me and boomer-mom. We bounced off Only Murders in the Building, but are now 8 eps into The Expanse. She loves UN Grandma and Amos.

They are the best characters on the show. Mom has good tastes!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Counterpoint the War of the World series is pretty blah overall due to some bad writing (characters make the stupidest decisions) and some of the worst teenage characters in recent memory. I haven’t finished season 2 because it got pretty painful to watch. I’m still debating to finish it or not because I do find some interesting ideas in the show. My wife likes it slightly better than me, but she agrees the 2 lead teenage characters are just awful to watch.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 21, 2021

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Just caught up with Killing Eve and now I’m eagerly awaiting the fourth season. I love shows with weird, intense relationships :allears:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

navyjack posted:

I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons of The Expanse, but thought 4 and 5 (when it moved to Amazon Prime) were pretty bad, so just a subjective heads-up.

Season 3 could have been a fine stopping point storywise, anyhow. That’s kind of how it is in my head right now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

HOLY gently caress posted:

Just caught up with Killing Eve and now I’m eagerly awaiting the fourth season. I love shows with weird, intense relationships :allears:

The second season lost me. Does it recover?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Great loving rules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is much worse than 2, which itself was much worse than 1

e: of Killing Eve. The Great does indeed loving rule.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I watched Season 3 after a long break from the show so maybe that was a part of it? Still liked it anyway!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Great loving rules.

The Great goes on the list

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaveKap posted:

The twists don't pay off, the high points are primarily really cool looking CG, the screen writing is ultra-sloppy, and the really decent bits are too few and far between to recommend. They completely under-utilize Jared Harris and I will state again that the amount they actually have him on set vs the amount they used his name for advertising is worthy of false advertising litigation.
Watch episode 1 to see something awesome and leave it at that.

Knowing nothing about the show but having read Foundation that leads me to 100% assume Jared Harris is Hari Seldon, also famous for having almost no lines in the book aside from short prerecorded messages.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pentyne posted:

Knowing nothing about the show but having read Foundation that leads me to 100% assume Jared Harris is Hari Seldon, also famous for having almost no lines in the book aside from short prerecorded messages.

In the show he's an AI familiar with over 600 dance moves and programmed to get freaky

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

pentyne posted:

The comedy of you being 100% correct is that the show, supposedly (I haven't read the books,) is barely modeled after the book series and just kinda goes off and does its own poo poo most of the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just wanted to pipe in that I feel that the end confrontation of ep 7 of Arcane justifies the project in its entirety. What a way to use animation, storytelling and fan-service to cap-end an episode, holy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGGWMsQSOs8

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

MiddleOne posted:

Just wanted to pipe in that I feel that the end confrontation of ep 7 of Arcane justifies the project in its entirety. What a way to use animation, storytelling and fan-service to cap-end an episode, holy poo poo:

When I saw that fight start I said out loud, “ok, this show is amazing.”

I’m still not very impressed by the story or dialogue (it’s very safe and unoriginal), but the facial animation, direction, music, and action scenes are top-notch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MiddleOne posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Denzel Curry and now I might have to watch whatever this is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I watched some of Arcane and the animation was amazing but there was entirely too much Imagine Dragons for my liking

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I was about to say I loathe most of the music in the show so far and I'm 4 episodes in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

X-O posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Denzel Curry and now I might have to watch whatever this is.

Yep, that's Denzel. They even managed to get loving Sting to sing the season's closing song, and he does a bang-up job of it, too.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I watched the Yellowjackets pilot like 3 or 4 times because I liked it so much. Episode 2 was also really enjoyable if not as strong.

I was a little too young for Lost but I totally understand all the hype and theorizing people did back in the day.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just watched the first ep of Yellowjackets too. Very intriguing stuff, though I may wait for the whole season so I can binge it. I didn't recognize Christina ricci until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Only watched one episode of each but so far Cowboy Bebop is better than Wheel of Time. Fight me.

A lot of it boils down to the fact that the crew of CB are clearly having fun while WoT is info dumping constantly without ever taking time to let a scene breathe. They also cut out the opening scene of the book (the king doing a crazy) which was super important for setting up the stakes of the story. I’ll give it another few episodes to see if things improve but I’m not optimistic.

E: Also lmao WoT is very frustrating as an adaptation. VERY important things like the One Power, the Dark One or darkfriends are left completely unexplained while [thing that was basically the twist at the end of book 1] is casually infodumped in the first episode. I would DEFINITELY not recommend watching this until after you’ve read the books.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 22, 2021