Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I wonder if Higuruma is going to start defending Yuji from his own domain, cause the dude is legit shook by what Yuji said and he's not easily shook. It would be pretty fun, a defense attorney who's given up on the judicial system defending his own opponent from his own power.

my bet is he does but it goes to the final retrial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Going against your own technique probably has severe consequences.

According to Kenjaku not really. According to him, breaking a Binding Vow with another person is a super bad idea, cause you have no idea what the penalty will be other then bad. However breaking a Binding Vow with yourself is not a huge issue, as it just means you lose whatever benefit the Binding gave you.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Patware posted:

this is literally how most writing works

I'm not a writer so I wouldn't know.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I like that analogy of writers as gardeners vs architects. An architect is like "I think it'd be sick for a defense attorney to defend Itadori against his own technique now lets make that happen" vs a gardener who plants a defense attorney character and then is like "hmmm what would happen here if we did this"

Personally, I'm an architect, I want a ninja to do a badass flip so I create that ninja full form out of my brain and command him to do a flip. Does it rule? Yes. Does my creative writing professor like it? Hell yes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm not a writer so I wouldn't know.

It's not the only method, but it is a common one. Some writers basically just start at the start and let the character developments come "naturally", while others map things out in detail so they know the ending before the story starts.

Depending on the writer, something like this sometimes starts with "I need someone to judge Itadori for Sukuna's crimes", or an idea for a character that lead to realizing he could do something like this, or even just a random image.

Writers are different, and without specifics, it's hard to guess how things were handled.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Higuruma was willing to murder Yuji for being underage and playing Pachinko, it would be weird if he flipped because Yuji turned out to be the vessel that was used to commit mass murder, that he has explicitly taken responsibility for.

I like Higuruma already as a character but it would take a lot for me to believe him coming around on Yuji and stop murdering people for non-violent infractions.

Im still holding out hope that Nobara will turn up at the 11th hour to save someone as an eye patch wearing bad rear end, even though I know it's not going to happen :<

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 15, 2021

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he's willing to murder yuji for points, there's no indication he personally cares about the infractions unless i missed a line, because he's become broken and doesn't care about anything but lying in bathtubs fully clothed these days

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Yea he wasnt willing to murder Yuji over the pachinko thing but because he is in a literal death game. The pachinko thing was just a way to limit Yuji's cursed energy to make him easier to kill.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be exact he’s willing to kill anyone that attacks him, he’s not interested in the points themselves.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the guy whose introductory chapter shows him losing it at an unjust legal system is probably going to somehow save Yuji from himself.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 15, 2021

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
It's also worth noting that Higuruma hasn't killed every sorcerer he's encountered in the culling game. He is said to have defeated the helicopter head guy prior to Yuji so this whole exchange is a mix of his own angst at society mixed with Yuji squaring up to fight when their conversation wasn't going his way.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

It's about time they added a hammer-themed sorcerer to the main cast. I can't wait for Higuruma to turn face.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Just judging by the reaction on HIguruma's face you can tell he doesn't buy Yuji's capable of something like this. I mean this is the same kid who came to him asking to stop the forced killing rule, which a mass murderer wouldn't really care about.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Pewdiepie posted:

It's about time they added a hammer-themed sorcerer to the main cast. I can't wait for Higuruma to turn face.

Just because Nobara hasn't been around for a while doesn't mean she never existed.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

It's obvious how it's gonna go, just going to feel a bit clunky to me. I would like a new character to take Nanamin's spot though. I miss the world's most middle aged 28 year old office worker.

Would you guys recommend someone completely new start from chapter 0, or read it later on in a similar order in which things came out? My friend and I watched the anime and Ive convinced him to pick up the manga. I liked the order in which I found things out but I dont know if seeing Geto get owned out the gate would necessarily be a worse storytelling experience.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just read it in release order imo, there's no point in starting with 0

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
but didn't 0 come out first anyway

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

TheComicFiend posted:

but didn't 0 come out first anyway

yeah lol

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Ah I double checked and 0 wasnt added to the Jump app where I am until last year. I confused it being added with it being written/published then. And that got reinforced when the anime started in the same place I started reading, with the adaptation of 0 only being announced recently. Whoops! I only have the app so didn't even know it existed until then.

It fit really nicely because that was around the point where Okkotsu turned up having made a vow to be Yuji's executioner. His roles in chapter 0 and when Yuji meets him contrasted well.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

0's kinda weird 'release' happens at a really, really good point in the story pacing for it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Origin of Obedience is a good place to read it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/264/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-166?2021-11-19

Nothing surprising and stuff we said would happen last week, but still a good chapter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait when has Itadori killed anyone? Is he counting the humans transformed by Mahito?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s always nice to make a friend.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

Wait when has Itadori killed anyone? Is he counting the humans transformed by Mahito?

I'm pretty sure, yeah

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's no way such a likable character as Higuruma is surviving this arc

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yes to that, but also Chose's brother.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just realized that Judgeman might be good for information gathering if it lines up right, cause there's no way Higuruma should have knowledge of Sukuna, right? Or hell Yuji entering the pachinko parlor.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just realized that Judgeman might be good for information gathering if it lines up right, cause there's no way Higuruma should have knowledge of Sukuna, right? Or hell Yuji entering the pachinko parlor.

Yeah, it's incredibly broken as an information gathering technique, especially if he can just turn off the punishment as he has appeared to.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Judgeman is stated to know everything about a person accused. But the only info it shares with Higuruma is the envelope of evidence, and the case it is accusing a person of.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Only caveat here is that he doesn't get to choose what he learns about someone and it must be related to the trial and evidence he receives. Outside of narrative convenience, this retrial could just have easily been Yuji being accused of jaywalking not the Shibuya incident.

i flunked out posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly broken as an information gathering technique, especially if he can just turn off the punishment as he has appeared to.

There's a bit of a distinction here. Any sentence passed by Judgeman doesn't seem to fall under Higuruma's control so stuff like confiscation will always happen. The trial process should also not be something he can interrupt and he even says to Yuji that Judgeman was "impatient" during the discussion portion of the trial. But the death sentence and Gavel are the areas that Higuruma can control if he executes them

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

Higuruma was willing to murder Yuji for being underage and playing Pachinko, it would be weird if he flipped because Yuji turned out to be the vessel that was used to commit mass murder, that he has explicitly taken responsibility for.

I like Higuruma already as a character but it would take a lot for me to believe him coming around on Yuji and stop murdering people for non-violent infractions.

Im still holding out hope that Nobara will turn up at the 11th hour to save someone as an eye patch wearing bad rear end, even though I know it's not going to happen :<

Keep in mind that, as far as I'm aware, Higuruma has mostly (entirely?) just been murdering sorcerers, who are mostly hosed up and bad, so it kind of makes sense that he wouldn't exactly hold much good will towards Itadori.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

We don't know if it can backfire if the opponent is innocent though. If he can really use it with no consequences then yeah it's pretty good

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Itadori is also a big dork who easily falls for stuff like this compared to people who might be more savy and aren't just outright murderers who can defend themselves better.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I love that where you’d expect most characters to consider killing Mahito’s golems or Choso’s brothers out of their control or not even people Yuji does and more importantly he remembers that he did that. The pure hearted Shonen protagonist is a dime a dozen but it feels like we really get to see Yuji demonstrate that quality in big and small ways.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official scans

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-166/chapter/23582?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010470

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Why did I have doubts. How foolish of me. It's great, so succinct. Higuruma I hope you last more than a couple of chapters and Yuji gets to have an adult to look up to and give a diminutive name to again.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he's gotta stick around a while, right?? gege killed too many cast members to not cycle some people in!!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Great character arc. I liked how how Higuruma ended up in the same position at the end of the fight as when Yuji first met him lying in the bathtub. The whole justice/sight/blindness thing going on is on point too, I think this is the first time we've actually seen a panel of Higuruma with his eyes closed when decided not to follow through with exacting justice. Parallels what he said in his introduction chapter about lady justice and wanting to keep his eyes open. Also lol that I just realized the sight theme is why Gege designed him to have a 1000 yard deathstare constantly

yum fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Higuruma's clothes are still wet, right?

That can't be a nice feel.

Drenched clothes are bad.