Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
probably an iambic keyer, which is what I use.

Similar to the bug, two vertical switches with VERY close contacts; a few thou. You don't really feel any perceptible motion on a properly adjusted paddle. I have to re-adjust the contacts on mine when the seasons change.

Just two dumb switches that go to a small logic circuit

hold down the right paddle and you get dashes sent forever
hold down the left and you get dots sent forever

hold down both and it alternates between the two, hence the 'iambic' moniker. So if you want to send Y (dash dot dash dash) you hold right, tap left, and let go of right after the third dash. It's super efficient and you can absolutely shred once you learn it. I can copy about 13-15 words per minute on my best day, but I can send at over 35 wpm. I used to practice by just sending everything that people typed in #yospos irc through a practice oscillator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

so do blackjack dealers dress like telegraph operators, or the other way around?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Progressive JPEG posted:

that vaporware phone that was supposed to have swappable modules

someone unfriended me because i told them phonebloks was total vaporware

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

so do blackjack dealers dress like telegraph operators, or the other way around?

they all wore the same green visor/eyeshade as accountants/bankers because candles and early light bulbs were harsh as gently caress and not conducive to someone staring at small text or focusing on a blackjack table all day.

basically the blue-light glasses of the time, but it actually worked.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Captain Foo posted:

non-circular cds

those incredibly fast cd drives that would detonate cheap CDs and blow plastic shards everywhere

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Foo posted:

non-circular cds

umd carts lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'd forgotten how gross 480i looks via composite on a low end tube TV.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'd forgotten how gross 480i looks via composite on a low end tube TV.

my in-laws crappy circuit city house brand LCD TV crapped out a couple years ago. because they’re cheapskates who refuse to spend money they went to the basement and just pulled out a sony trinitron TV they inherited from my wife’s dead uncle in like 1994

they plugged their directv receiver into it via composite and surprisingly it doesn’t look that bad, 30 year old trinitron tubes turn out to be still pretty good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I went fairly deep on a rather nice tv from best buy around 2004 and it had component in, i got a cable for xbox and ps2, and man, halo and ssx tricky looked on that thing at a level that i can only describe as "sure you can't read 12 point text on it, but these colors are great and there's zero flicker ok let's go down the mountain again"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

tricky was mindblowing

e: also how i learned about plump djs

graph fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 19, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i literally wore out a ps2 tryin to get from 1.57 million points to 1.72 million points on particular tricky tracks

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Trying to play Dead Rising and Chromehounds on a 27" Magnavox regular rear end CRT is what made me drop $1000 for a 32" 720p Samsung LCD. That text was almost legible if you squinted just right.

I stupidly put one of those credit card shaped CDs into an old HP PC and it annihilated that CD drive.

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

graph posted:

tricky was mindblowing

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it IS tricky to rock a rhyme that's right on time

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

it IS tricky to rock a rhyme that's right on time

Penn and Teller won that chain fair and square

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

micro center still stocking bottles of bawls in the soda coolers up by the checkouts like it's 2002

02B6C4
Sep 19, 2021
i miss LAN parties. i won a copy of Hexen II when i was like 16 for staying up all night, it owned

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

micro center still stocking bottles of bawls in the soda coolers up by the checkouts like it's 2002

micro center seems to generally be avoiding the trap that fry's fell into.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
microcenter needs to open a seattle location

or hell, even portland. I'd take a portland microcenter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wow their location list is both smaller and weirder than i thought

it's a great store! they should have like a hundred of em

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

wow their location list is both smaller and weirder than i thought

it's a great store! they should have like a hundred of em

i can't figure out how i live within a half hour of two of them. :confused:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wish they’d reopen in the Bay Area, I live right by a nice-sized former Fry’s and it’d make an awesome Micro Center

I’m hoping maybe Central Computer will expand into some of the old Fry’s locations

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Midjack posted:

i don't know what micro center's secret sauce is but i'm sure it probably also involves resisting the urge to make your store look like a ziggurat

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

kitten smoothie posted:

I had my first bawls at a microcenter literally this year so I'm grateful

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Midjack posted:

they had their adapt or die moment some time ago. there was a point where they were feeling the sting from internet shops because they were selling generic, no-name white-box hardware at the same or higher price than name brand parts online, and they wouldn't have things like the then-new tnt video cards, but they would sell you an outdated s3 virge decelerator for it's original msrp. they revamped and have been going strong ever since

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also the death of radio shack + mc's quite competent diy/parts rack helped them a whole lot.

if i need instant gratification resistors i go there for sure and there have been many times where i went in for some small parts and picked up other stuff since i was there

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the parts rack at the one nearest me is usually completely hosed over but the one in rockville is better maintained. but yeah, since radio shack is gone and lol at finding an electronics shop that isn't just ordering from mouser so if you need some resistors RIGHT NOW they're your only hope!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
still have dreams of stocking a box truck as an electronics shop and doing the food truck thing but for resistors and molex plugs and 3dp filament

follow the twitter to find out where i'm parking today

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jonny 290 posted:

still have dreams of stocking a box truck as an electronics shop and doing the food truck thing but for resistors and molex plugs and 3dp filament

should make em follow your ham broadcasts instead

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

finger my .plan file for deetz

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kitfox88 posted:

should make em follow your ham broadcasts instead

Now i'm wondering, it's against the rules to make transmissions for financial gain - but what if i just happened to have an APRS (ham radio lojack) transmitter on the truck and if you know where to look on aprs.fi you'll be able to find me. hmm

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
there isn't a lot in terms of electronic components at my local microcenter, but it's a place where you can buy adafruit or similar maker stuff over the counter, and i can't think of any place like it.

computer components are competitively priced compared to online and you have the benefit of getting the thing in your hot little hands now. you do get to pay the local sales tax, but it's basically a wash.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

posting winamp status to irc

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Jonny 290 posted:

Could prolly make a mint doing this in Seattle/SF/NYC.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Progressive JPEG posted:

posting winamp status to irc

Forum threads for "currently listening to"

Also: livejournal, posting with your current mood and current song fields filled in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MySpace top 8.

I’m pretty sure I’ve said that in this thread.

relatedly, the early pages of this thread

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i set up a myspace account back in the day, didn't know who tom was, so when he immediately friended me i assumed myspace was full of spambots and never used it again

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

shoeberto posted:

Forum threads for "currently listening to"

Also: livejournal, posting with your current mood and current song fields filled in.

I found my old livejournal a few years back. I used a special editor on Mac that was just for posting to lj lmao

I was a scene kid too so it was extra sad, like legit depressing to read. especially cause all the posts were about girls, one of whom I married and divorced ten years later and reading this posts I probably should have never married her but youth gonna youth

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

network solutions being the only registrar for com/net/org and costing $35 united states 1990s dollars per year

and some kind of bizarre authentication where you had to send them an email from a From address that was listed in the domain whois or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

network solutions being the only registrar for com/net/org and costing $35 united states 1990s dollars per year

and some kind of bizarre authentication where you had to send them an email from a From address that was listed in the domain whois or something?

wasn’t there also some kind of paper form you had to mail in to create a handle? you definitely had to mail in a real paper check to pay for the registration