Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

As a caveman frozen in a glacier, I face...different challenges.
A guy over in GBS said this was the place to do it. It's kind of cinematic content i guess?
What will happen if I do? Appreciation or ban?

I'm super anxious because I've come back to SA after 10 years of totally forgetting this place even exist and don't wanna ruin no actually you know what gently caress it here it is

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTTxOXDICE6tZ939HqODMg

It's MAGNETS baby! Like subscribe comment ring the bell share it to all your friends so I don't have to go to work anymore soon!
99550 subs to go for my first youtube button award!

I used the SEX banner because i wear gloves in one of the videos and someone said that was super kinky and goons are superpervs if i remember correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

He was trolling me wasn't he

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not super my thing but I won’t make fun of ya or anything. Very nice lighting and editing. You put work into it!

I hope it takes off for you!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Cyro posted:

He was trolling me wasn't he

The good news is you haven't forgotten everything you learned 10 years ago.

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks for the replies guys, strangers on the internet reacting to my stuff makes me feel validated

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i thoroughly enjoyed it

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

i thoroughly enjoyed it

Sweet!
Hope you get to enjoy your Grande Latte With spice pumpkin foam sprinkles some day again

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I permaban you

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

Roth posted:

I permaban you

Nooooooo my account!
I remembered my password and everything

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Magnets are cool OP. Probably one of the better things to make a YouTube channel about.

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Magnets are cool OP. Probably one of the better things to make a YouTube channel about.

Thanks I like them too
How do I make Roth not ban me?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Hey thanks for posting! I'll admit that I too came in to CC looking for a YouTuber thread but there wasn't one so I went off and joined a different community for that stuff instead.

I'll take a look at your channel later but had a quick glance through your channel page and you're doing really well so far! Keep it up!

PS: also did you want crits or anything specific, or just for people to cheer you on?

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

Leng posted:

PS: also did you want crits or anything specific, or just for people to cheer you on?

Anything is appreciated really, i want to improve as much as I can so if you got any criticism, bring it on
Also what other community do you mean? Sounds like it could be interesting

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cyro posted:

Anything is appreciated really, i want to improve as much as I can so if you got any criticism, bring it on
Also what other community do you mean? Sounds like it could be interesting

You're doing really well for a new channel! 65 subs with 2.5K views and only 4 videos out (looks like you're posting 1 video/week) is really good.

In terms of video specific crits:

I've only watched the dino asteroid video and the main thing I would suggest is to consult your retention analytics for pacing in your edits. You're in an interesting kind of niche, being both ASMR as well as like a craft/hobby channel. As someone who watches a lot of craft videos but not ASMR videos, I kind of want you to skip over the bits once you've shown me one part of the process (because I want to see how you build it and also the payoff when you smash the asteroid into the planet at the end); however that's probably against what your ASMR viewers want. I'm not sure how well the two audiences might blend for normal videos, you'll have to test that. If I were you, I'd probably go for a different strategy - see further thoughts below.

General channel crits:

Thumbnails

Yours aren't bad for a new channel, but I think they could be better. What is your CTR (click through rate) on your current thumbnails and titles?

The asteroid vs earth is probably your best thumbnail but you probably don't need all of the text, because your videos lend themselves very easily to very visual thumbnails. Adding the dino into the thumbnail with the earth, maybe doing a divider down the middle with a "VS" text, then making your asteroid with its special effects a little bigger would probably convey the promise of the video better.

The D20 dice thumbnail is the worst one you've got - if I cover up the title text and just look at the thumbnail, I have no idea what the video is about. I would probably suggest a before/after video, where the before side just shows piles of magnetic balls, then a big arrow in the middle pointing to the finished product on the other side. I would get rid of the person in the background because that's adding to the visual confusion instead of enhancing the clarity of the thumbnail - especially since you don't show your face in your videos anyway.

Titles

Yours are too long. Don't put anything in your title that is already covered by something else - this includes things that are already apparent from your thumbnail (especially if you already have the same words in your thumbnail), and your channel name (it already appears underneath the video by default whether you're looking at your video via search or browse or suggested.

Use https://thumbsup.tv/ to check your thumbnails and titles before upload so you can see what it'll look like before you hit publish, and pay special attention to what gets cut off on mobile, etc. You can still have longer titles with SEO words/phrases targeting search, but write the first ~33-40 characters to intrigue a human and get them to click.

Playlists

Start putting your videos into playlists and organize your channel page into sections with them (or start curating some of your videos). A blank channel page with only the "Uploads" section is a dead giveaway of a newer creator.

Playlists are treated like videos, and sorting your videos into playlists will help people who look at your channel page figure out what kinds of videos you do. Doesn't matter if there's only 1 video in a playlist - you'll add more with each upload.

Livestreams

This one won't work for most other channels, but if you're targeting ASMR, I would do ASMR livestreams when you're building all of the things you're making for your video. I could see you growing massively from this alone. I literally just typed "asmr magnets" into the YouTube search bar and filtered for live, and there are 8 livestreams right now. I clicked in briefly to a couple and there are at least 100 viewers on each of them, with the top stream having 1.6K viewers. None of them are live builds, they're all pre-animated videos that they're just clearly replaying and streaming from a display with very meh background music, and I hate them already.

You can build a community really fast this way, because you'll capture the ASMR crowd and you can plan things like using polls to get audience participation on your build. Depending on your stream set up and cameras, you might even be able to do things like the asteroid smash at the end of the stream as a payoff for sticking around...then you just need to edit your streams into highlight reels for normal videos. Alternatively, if you can't, then you keep the streams focused on the builds, then put a link in the description to the final edited video and then people who jumped into the ASMR stream will probably want to see the payoff too.

I've been live streaming for 4+ hours every day this month and it is great for building community and for getting watch time hours. For the ASMR crowd, I'm reasonably certain you want LONG videos they can just leave in the background as soothing noise, and that'll help you get to 4000 hours of watch time, since your videos are only 4-6 mins long. Mine are about 2-3x that and I was having trouble getting enough watch time before I started doing all my livestreams this month.

Other YouTuber communities

There are loads out there, but the good ones are all behind paywalls.

I joined one called Project 24 by the Income School which is a collab effort between a couple of channels, but the YouTube face of it is Channel Makers (https://www.youtube.com/c/ChannelMakers). Just the free content on Channel Makers is great but the stuff in their course and the community is really solid. A lot of full time YouTubers hang out there.

There are others (Film Booth and VidIQ are also good, Think Media is a bit hit or miss for me, Nick Nimmin, Daniel Batal, Cathrin Manning and Roberto Blake I watch from time to time).

A lot of these channels will do "channel audits" on livestreams as well.

Leng fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

You really put effort into that. Thanks

I've been trying playlists but felt like everything would just end up in the same playlist and figured i'd wait a bit until i have more and more diverse videos
The thumbnail tips are pretty good, i'll use these for my next upload and maybe change the d20 one

About the livestreaming i think you're probably right. I've streamed a couple of times on tiktok and it's pretty succesful. I use tiktok to draw people to my youtube.
Reason I haven't tried streaming on youtube yet is because I thought it would be hard to draw in people because of how different the content is delivered compared to tiktok.

I'll also check out those communities, I feel like you've helped me take another step in the right direction so thanks for that

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cyro posted:

About the livestreaming i think you're probably right. I've streamed a couple of times on tiktok and it's pretty succesful. I use tiktok to draw people to my youtube.
Reason I haven't tried streaming on youtube yet is because I thought it would be hard to draw in people because of how different the content is delivered compared to tiktok.

I'll also check out those communities, I feel like you've helped me take another step in the right direction so thanks for that

Streaming on YouTube is fun! Not so fun for me right now because my internet is completely dead and I've had to cut short a stream today, and I'm on hold right now trying to see if I can resolve the issue before my next stream, which I've pushed back by 30 mins. Argh.

Might be different for you if you do ASMR streams because I don't think you'll be chatting so much. But check out EposVox and Alpha Gaming, they both have videos on how to build a stream show and streaming on YouTube specifically.

If you end up joining Project 24, let me know! I have a thread there documenting how I'm doing with my channel (Paper Tiger).

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

Leng posted:

If you end up joining Project 24, let me know! I have a thread there documenting how I'm doing with my channel (Paper Tiger).

I've been looking at Channel Makers' videos and been picking up some good tips.
I looked for your channel Paper Tiger but there's like 3 different channels with that name, I feel like that can hold you back?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yeah there's a ton of them to be honest, the name is not all that unique but every single one is in a different niche so hopefully it'll be ok for now. I've claimed the Paper Tiger Productions channel URL though.

I'm gonna worry about it later honestly, even Channel Makers did a rebrand halfway though (can't remember what the name was before).

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Leng posted:

Hey thanks for posting! I'll admit that I too came in to CC looking for a YouTuber thread but there wasn't one so I went off and joined a different community for that stuff instead.

I'll take a look at your channel later but had a quick glance through your channel page and you're doing really well so far! Keep it up!

A youtuber thread in CC would be great! Someone with relevant knowledge should be the OP, though.

If the OP would like this thread to become that, go ahead and make a more general OP and we can change the title and stuff. Or start a new thread, if you prefer. Previously I think people have sort of just posted individual threads to mixed success.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sitting Here posted:

A youtuber thread in CC would be great! Someone with relevant knowledge should be the OP, though.

If the OP would like this thread to become that, go ahead and make a more general OP and we can change the title and stuff. Or start a new thread, if you prefer. Previously I think people have sort of just posted individual threads to mixed success.

I can take a crack at an OP now that NaNoWriMo is done. Up to Cyro if this thread should turn into the general YouTuber thread? Or I can post a new one and we can link back to this one. I've found that it's helpful to have a personal thread to document your own channel. I've been posting mine over in the other YouTube community.

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

I'm just a beginning youtuber so i''m probably not the best option for starting a general thread, loving the idea though.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sitting Here posted:

Cyro posted:

I'm just a beginning youtuber so i''m probably not the best option for starting a general thread, loving the idea though.

Alright then, I'm not that experienced either, but I'm willing to start work on an OP and maintain it, so give me a week or so to get one going and then we can slowly try and pull other YouTubers into it.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Leng posted:

Alright then, I'm not that experienced either, but I'm willing to start work on an OP and maintain it, so give me a week or so to get one going and then we can slowly try and pull other YouTubers into it.

That would be splendid! I'll keep an eye out for it so I can hype it

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Ok, general YouTuber thread is over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987059

I do mostly talking head videos, so Cyro if you have time to do a little write up on what your filming set up is, I'll add it into the OP. If you think there's stuff missing from the OP, let me know as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyro
Mar 2, 2007

Cool, I'll check it out