Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Q.E.D.

Edit: gently caress, what a lovely way to start a new page.

If anybody can't read the WSJ article due to a paywall, here's an alternate link.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Harrow posted:

I didn't change it, but even then, a jokey thread title is not a derail. Even the #MeToo thread has an irreverent thread title.

If you'd like to continue arguing about this thread, do so in the feedback thread, because this is as much of an annoying derail as the things you're complaining about.

I changed that title and tbh it's meant to be horrifying, not funny. Because it's horrifying and I still can not get over how loving insane it is that they walked their shiny new zero tolerance for sexual harassment policy back and crossed out the zero in just a matter of hours.

Harrow posted:

I've updated the thread title and request from other mods and IKs to keep the title focused on the topic and not a joke. If there are big headlines that just broke, that can make a good thread title update.

It was explicitly topical and was in response to blizzard announcing a zero tolerance policy on sexual harassment and then literally hours later announcing that it didn't apply to bobby kotick.

E: posted before seeing harrow wanted to move discussion to feedback, my bad

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 19, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Apologies for my lovely post, it was super tone deaf and unnecessary. I’ve removed it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
reminder that sometimes people use comedy to deal with upsetting things and situations

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another senior Blizzard dev just resigned. He was the 'lead systems designer' for WoW and Hearthstone.

https://twitter.com/JohnYangX/status/1461784086687666183

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 20, 2021

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I saw Blizzard just hired a bunch of people :shrug:
AFAIK they are offering Truly Ridiculous salaries (well, maybe not Riot level) to people because they are hemorrhaging so many devs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This seems like between the resignations and obvious dysfunctionality at every level of the company, this is pretty much the death of Blizzard for any kind of quality products. There's no way the next thing they release, no matter what it is, isn't going to be even more of a mess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rope kid posted:

AFAIK they are offering Truly Ridiculous salaries (well, maybe not Riot level) to people because they are hemorrhaging so many devs.

They could double their salaries I saw for senior developers and still only be at “eh it’s ok I guess” levels for senior SDEs in California. And I think those seniors would be “staff” or “principal” at a big tech company in which case they’d need to be paying 400k-500k to match “big tech”

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
My linkedin feed has shown about an equal number of people leaving and starting at Blizzard recently. No idea why anyone would actually be joining now, really.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Finally a chance for that :sparkles: dream job in games.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
There are no Truly Ridiculous salaries in the games industry. Even the executives get paid less than comparable Big Tech companies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chglcu posted:

My linkedin feed has shown about an equal number of people leaving and starting at Blizzard recently. No idea why anyone would actually be joining now, really.

I'm wondering if it's people taking a gamble that the troubles will blow over/be dealt with and if they do you're now set with a position at an established company.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kanos posted:

I'm wondering if it's people taking a gamble that the troubles will blow over/be dealt with and if they do you're now set with a position at an established company.

Also it could be people desperate for any opportunity.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A year or so ago I would tell my students that if you were single and relatively unattached that then would be an interesting time to get in at Blizzard as they are in a time of transition and it would be an interesting experience to see first hand what they turned into.

But then the lawsuits and the really bad stuff came out and now I'm just sad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mutata posted:

A year or so ago I would tell my students that if you were single and relatively unattached that then would be an interesting time to get in at Blizzard as they are in a time of transition and it would be an interesting experience to see first hand what they turned into.

But then the lawsuits and the really bad stuff came out and now I'm just sad.

I can't imagine that'd be anything but absolute misery and likely with nothing to show for it, and even your resume showing that you tried to join up with the rape factory after everyone knew about it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't imagine that'd be anything but absolute misery and likely with nothing to show for it, and even your resume showing that you tried to join up with the rape factory after everyone knew about it.

Recruiters and Hiring Managers would likely not care.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://twitter.com/taliesinevitel/status/1461627370427793410?s=21

https://twitter.com/blizzjess/status/1461808493766320138?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/1461782076173139970

"Blizzard polish" means never looking at character models from the back.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes this is why I specifically said I was referring to "Blizzard, company in transition" of 2018 or so and not what we know now to be "Blizzard, cubicle crawl central".

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
1-800-ALLCOCK

https://kotaku.com/report-activision-took-years-to-fire-someone-who-signe-1848094825

Kotaku posted:

Report: Activision Took Years To Fire Someone Who Signed Emails '1-800-ALLCOCK'

A California lawsuit earlier this year alleged sexual harassment, discrimination, and a pervasive “frat boy culture” at Call of Duty publisher Activision Blizzard. At least in one instance, that culture included an employee signing all of his work emails as “1-800-ALLCOCK.”

That detail comes from the latest episode of The Wall Street Journal podcast which elaborates on some of its recent bombshell investigative report outlining new instances of misconduct and coverups, including by CEO Bobby Kotick.“There was one example where an Activision employee had for years just signed his email signature 1-800-ALLCOCK,” reporter Kirsten Grind said in a transcript of the podcast. “So if you were a woman, you would get that email and that was just the normal course, right? Just guys being guys joking about it and you just sort of felt like that was what happened at Activision.”

Activision reportedly didn’t take action regarding the email signature until it received a complaint about it just this past summer, at which point it fired the employee after a month-long investigation.

“Our Compliance team opened an investigation upon receiving a report related to use of this phone number, and terminated the employee after the investigation was concluded,” Activision Blizzard’s chief communications officer, Helaine Klasky, said in a statement to Kotaku.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's downright shocking to me that any company would allow that behavior. I really have no idea how that happened more than once, let alone for YEARS. That's some really loving deep dysfunction.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grondoth posted:

It's downright shocking to me that any company would allow that behavior. I really have no idea how that happened more than once, let alone for YEARS. That's some really loving deep dysfunction.

I have to wonder if it was someone whose last name was actually Allcock and the investigation was specifically into how they represented their name after it was brought to light, with people just passing it off as "oh that's just a funny joke" and someone having to go "hey, this actually feels really inappropriate." (I checked Linkedin and there's at least ten people with the last name Allcock in my area.) There's some give and tug over people with family names that sound really inappropriate or sexual, like a dude up here in Canada getting refused a custom license plate with his family name GRABHER on it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Arivia posted:

I have to wonder if it was someone whose last name was actually Allcock and the investigation was specifically into how they represented their name after it was brought to light, with people just passing it off as "oh that's just a funny joke" and someone having to go "hey, this actually feels really inappropriate." (I checked Linkedin and there's at least ten people with the last name Allcock in my area.) There's some give and tug over people with family names that sound really inappropriate or sexual, like a dude up here in Canada getting refused a custom license plate with his family name GRABHER on it.

Probably not.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've known people in the workplace with names like Hancock, numerous people named Wang, and one guy named Dick Harden. Despite many ample opportunities for some of these people to make sex jokes about it, even among the few who were immature enough to be the kind to do that, they managed to stay professional and non-harassers. It is a plausible scenario at Blizzard, though.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Kanos posted:

That plus taking the opportunity to up their title. Would be a great opportunity to move from a junior dev to senior dev or get that project manager title, etc. Add it to your resume, jump ship in a year and repeat your applications starting negotiations from a higher position and salary.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cantorsdust posted:

That plus taking the opportunity to up their title. Would be a great opportunity to move from a junior dev to senior dev or get that project manager title, etc. Add it to your resume, jump ship in a year and repeat your applications starting negotiations from a higher position and salary.
Isn't Blizzard known for having poo poo salaries, compared to most other game companies? Since they pay you in "prestige" too. I feel like a recruiter might look at a Blizzard position and decide to lowball you because you clearly don't know the value of your labor.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That has been historically the case but what people have been mentioning on social media is that offers this year have been getting more competitive because there is no more prestige or future success they can tantalize workers with

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They’re probably scrambling to try to make up for the years of brain drain that were already going on even before the door was blown wide open by the lawsuits.

At this point, it seems more likely than not that they’re crossing the threshold into a death spiral.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

They pretty much have to knock the next expansion out of the park with the casual/semi-casual portion of their fanbase. The only "break glass" they have left is Wrath classic. Whenever they get around to announcing one at least we'll know fast whether they've decided to milk whoever's left or try and save the franchise depending on how much obvious ~engagement~ bullshit is in it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That has been historically the case but what people have been mentioning on social media is that offers this year have been getting more competitive because there is no more prestige or future success they can tantalize workers with

IIRC they're also relatively close geographically speaking to Riot, and while the latter certainly has their historical issues in the workplace in many of these same areas, they are on a definite upswing in terms of depth of product lines and brand recognition. If a candidate is strong enough it's probably going to make more sense to go to Riot instead of Blizzard even if the salaries are improving at the latter.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Riot is simply not comparable with the rest of the game industry, they pay google-tier wages for programmers and way more than anywhere else for other disciplines. They also have a west-coast-tech style campus with an arcade, free cafe, catered lunch, basketball court, etc. You're right that anyone who can work there probably is at this point, although for programming at least, they seem to hire more from outside the industry than inside.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Riot is simply not comparable with the rest of the game industry, they pay google-tier wages for programmers

Edit: my original response was a bit aggressive.

It’s not what I see on the usual salary comparison sites so I’m curious what the source is for this.

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 22, 2021

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Riot paying high is also a recent phenomenon, though less recent than blizzard. Also they still don't compare with MANGA.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

BULBASAUR posted:

There are no Truly Ridiculous salaries in the games industry. Even the executives get paid less than comparable Big Tech companies.

the ceo of games workshop only makes a million or so USD a year

(designers of Games workshops million box selling models that are sold with a 34+% margin of profit make less than 30k USD a year)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Kotick personally was the exception to 'no truly ridiculous salaries in games'

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

the ceo of games workshop only makes a million or so USD a year

(designers of Games workshops million box selling models that are sold with a 34+% margin of profit make less than 30k USD a year)

This is an apples and oranges comparison. GW generates about $350-$400 million in annual revenue and have significant manufacturing overhead costs. Activision has about $8 billion in revenue and software (in general) is much less capital intensive.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

stev posted:

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/1461782076173139970

"Blizzard polish" means never looking at character models from the back.

Ever since Buttgate, Blizzard is afraid to look at their characters from behind. Thanks a lot, woke mob.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They should always be looking at their characters from behind to make sure every model has a big rear end

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

POV: Your Blizzard manager making you write a one-page summary of how you'll spend your week off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's obviously pointy from the front in the concept art. It looks like the pointed hoods of the divine order in D:OS2 where they were deliberately styled to remind people of the KKK as shorthand for "these people are violent, dangerous bigots." I don't know how they missed it.