Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

well seeing as battlefield 2042 apparently sucks more than bf games normally do at launch and not in a good way I'm gonna refund it, any recommendations on recent stuff? Is far cry 6 any good?

Severed Steel
Halo Infinite Multi
Forza Horizon 5
Exo One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I did the $15/mo ea pro to give BF2042 a fair shake since BF4 was poo poo at launch too, but this is different

It feels more like the COD BR game and less like a BF game. I can see it being more fun after some fixes, such as bringing the scoreboard back and allowing portal servers to be privately hosted, but I think even with fixes it’s not going to have the same spark that BF4 did, and it would be more similar to like BF1

luckily a new patch for Insurgency: Sandstorm just dropped and it’s extremely good, but I will warn that it’s more of a milsim crossed with CS and BF.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

far cry 6 is just more far cry. if you played 4 or 5 anytime in the same year and didn't think "hey i wish this game was longer", don't bother with 6.
*nods* another easy prey for ps+ or psnow or <$20

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

far cry 6 is just more far cry. if you played 4 or 5 anytime in the same year and didn't think "hey i wish this game was longer", don't bother with 6.

every far cry sequel has basically been "just more far cry" since they rebooted the series with 2. travel around an open arena, kill endless swarms of the same clone of a solider, and do lots of samey filler missions until the game lets you do one that advances the plot

which isn't to say they aren't fun in their own right, but at this point i only get them when they are deeply discounted. the benefit of having a huge backlog

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
the far cry off-sequels are where the money's at. new dawn and blood dragon in particular

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Kenny Logins posted:

the far cry off-sequels are where the money's at. new dawn and blood dragon in particular

Primal is also a lot of fun: hunting mammoths while riding your saber-tooth tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6dIg8ak0Q

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah, blood dragon was rad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bourricot posted:

Primal is also a lot of fun: hunting mammoths while riding your saber-tooth tiger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6dIg8ak0Q
yes primal was v good also. i enjoyed that hurk spoke southern caveman lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The_Franz posted:

yeah, blood dragon was rad

it's the right length and scope for that kind of game imo. ends just before it gets boring

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/hardscifimovies/status/1462713849157763074

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

preemptive condolences for all the people trying league of legends after watching the netflix show and finding, not a story-rich game filled with the same level of artistry as what they saw on the show, but a cesspit of toxicity and gamer words

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

imagine interacting with any league of legends adjacent media. absolute lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

imagine interacting with any league of legends adjacent media. absolute lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

if I enjoyed spacechem when it was new but haven’t played any other zachtronics game since then what would be the best recent/ modern one to pick up?

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

forza horizon 5 is a good racing game. having a lot of fun driving around fake mexico

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I really liked Shenzhen I/O, but if you want something more space-chemy you would probably like Molek-Syntez a lot

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bruh.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I really liked Shenzhen I/O, but if you want something more space-chemy you would probably like Molek-Syntez a lot

that looks good
I was also looking at Opus magnum

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I got BF 2042 for my ps4 pro and it's such an incredible downgrade compared to BF V, wow. They are probably focusing more on the PS5 release, and it shows. The LOD pop-in is horrendous, you see playstation 2 era graphics on player models and players far away lose all animations and look like they are just skating around on ice, lol. It's so bad. And a lot of areas in every map look like they were rushed with hardly any attention to detail anywhere except for generic crates and boxes placed around as obstacles. Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville that my kids play is a better made game.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

polyester concept posted:

I got BF 2042 for my ps4 pro and it's such an incredible downgrade compared to BF V, wow. They are probably focusing more on the PS5 release, and it shows. The LOD pop-in is horrendous, you see playstation 2 era graphics on player models and players far away lose all animations and look like they are just skating around on ice, lol. It's so bad. And a lot of areas in every map look like they were rushed with hardly any attention to detail anywhere except for generic crates and boxes placed around as obstacles. Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville that my kids play is a better made game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajh9e3PDAOc

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

That is some funny poo poo, but the game actually just looks like a first gen ps4 title that got some new shaders tacked on as a cheap remaster or something. It actually looks worse than previous BF games some how.

poo poo is always looking like this, too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I played a bunch of (virtual) pinball over the weekend. I’m a pinball player now. can’t get enough of it. well, bye

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
attack from mars is a great table

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

The Fool posted:

if I enjoyed spacechem when it was new but haven’t played any other zachtronics game since then what would be the best recent/ modern one to pick up?

spacechem is the only one i played, then i picked up exapunks a month or two ago. i liked exapunks, it has a nice visual playground to help debugging

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

zach has just made the same game like eight times

like they're fun and all, but it's basically just a different set of pieces for the same rules

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

That is some funny poo poo, but the game actually just looks like a first gen ps4 title that got some new shaders tacked on as a cheap remaster or something. It actually looks worse than previous BF games some how.

good to see alan tudyk getting work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wow they even hosed up all the text. incredible.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

attack from mars is a great table

my current jam is black knight 2000

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

why did they make an yves guillemot skin

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

anyone screw around with the MiSTer fpga? finally got all the components; de-10, usb hub, and the analog io board for hooking up to my old 32 inch trinitron. having a blast tooling around on old systems I never got to play and revisiting games from way back when. think this is how my mid life crisis manifests. safer than a motorcycle I suppose.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I played a bunch of (virtual) pinball over the weekend. I’m a pinball player now. can’t get enough of it. well, bye

a while back i played yoku's island express which i thought was pretty fun. mix of pinball/puzzle/platformer kind of. so instead of racking up a high score the different levels are pinball set pieces that you have to solve to get through. that and some light story.

kind of simplistic and easy though as i recall, but pinball adjacent.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

The Fool posted:

opus magnum is probably the most accessible of the lot

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

still playing rimworld, still waiting for the signal state to go on sale.

kind of a disappointing year in games. at least for me. wonder if i'll spot something interesting before the end of 2021

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

deathloop looks fuckin sweet but my video card just can't handle it very well. still waiting for an RTX

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Eeyo posted:

a while back i played yoku's island express which i thought was pretty fun. mix of pinball/puzzle/platformer kind of. so instead of racking up a high score the different levels are pinball set pieces that you have to solve to get through. that and some light story.

kind of simplistic and easy though as i recall, but pinball adjacent.

yoku is a lot of fun. it’s just the right length too. Doesn’t overstay it’s welcome with its gimmick

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dunkey is basically the only gaming youtubes I watch but drat does it mess up my recommendations whenever I do.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

someone in here mentioned playing Arkham knight which gave me an itch to replay it

last time through I hit 97% and just burned out on the riddler puzzles

I have all the dlc now too, which I didn’t have before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there is way too, way too much riddler content in that game

it's like in one of the early planning meetings they decided that if anyone ever reached 100% completion they have failed as designers

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
slipways is a very cool game. it's about colonizing planets and building a trade network

there are different "council" leaders to pick which give you different technologies in the game. research points are generated by building structures that consume surplus resources. slime lab and chips lab:

it can be very satisfying to thread connections

a standard run can be completed in 30-45 minutes, the duration is 25 game years (colonizing planets takes three months, building structures and slipways take one month). it's turn based so you can take as much time to think as you want. there is also an undo feature as long as you didn't reveal new information (planets or new council tasks).

two hot tips:

if you misplace a structure, you can right click on it and drag it to a new spot instead of using the undo feature and trying to guess a new spot

once you unlock "quirks mode" (random environmental changes), there are quirks involving maintenance fees (harmful radiation and weak slipspace) which don't really affect playing on the easiest difficulty, so you can get an easy points multiplier to earn enough stars to unlock other modes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i only played a bit of slipways but it’s a fun puzzle for sure