Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jesus WEP posted:

the one about dark quiet death

oh poo poo yeah i totally forgot about that episode that was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I decided to rewatch The Witcher and this is way better than I remember it being, also Geralt is such a grumpy bastard I love it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the witcher’s not perfect but one thing you have to say is its creators understood exactly what balance of serious/campy was needed to make the series tick

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

jesus WEP posted:

the witcher’s not perfect but one thing you have to say is its creators understood exactly what balance of serious/campy was needed to make the series tick

yeah very true. I don't know if they could have found a better Geralt then caville, or rather were lucky he insisted on being cast because he's a huge nerd, because he's perfect for it.

without him and dandelion jaskier it never would have caught on, partly because of the insane time jumps that even as someone that knew the plot from the games made no sense originally

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I decided to rewatch The Witcher and this is way better than I remember it being, also Geralt is such a grumpy bastard I love it
Yeah, the grumpy himbo with the hypnotic rear end who's just over it really won me over, even tho I had no idea what the gently caress was going on with the timeline just going all over the place.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I finished all the witcher games too and still had trouble following around the time hops

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

he does very little witching tho

he doesn't even have the hat

mystes
May 31, 2006

I take back what I said about the wheel of time show. It seems to get a lot better after the first episode.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
finished foundation

that sure was a bunch of stuff that happened

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mystes posted:

I take back what I said about the wheel of time show. It seems to get a lot better after the first episode.

Yeah, the first episode isn't great but the second and third are enough of an improvement that I'm going to keep watching, mostly because I'm intensely curious as to how they'll adapt the gender politics to the modern era.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

also LOL at them creating a wife for Perrin out of thin air and then killing her off and how that will massively improve the character's subsequent behavior

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Witcher S1 feeling the need to do time skips was annoying, felt very reactive to westworld. also turning nilfguard into evil stormtroopers instead of just an imperial German power as written by a polish person.

overall it was good though, well cast, and well shot. I like the Canary Islands stuff. most importantly managed to find the balance between whedon quips and Very Serious Fantasy.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pseudorandom name posted:

also LOL at them creating a wife for Perrin out of thin air and then killing her off and how that will massively improve the character's subsequent behavior

Oh was that bit new for the show? I thought I'd just forgotten it since it's been so long since i read those books.

She felt pretty disconnected from the rest of the episode, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was a change made after most of the episode had already been filmed.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, its hilarious because Perrin's behavior throughout the series is inexplicable and irritating and inventing a fridged wife does so much to explain all the stupid things he does.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's really funny that the very first thing he says to her is "hey honey i noticed you don't appear in any of the other scenes"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lol that foundation season finale

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

i did like the bad guy tho. more bad guys should just revel in being evil cause it makes them more fun.

yah thats what makes palpatine good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haveblue posted:

finished foundation

that sure was a bunch of stuff that happened

ive watched 4 episodes so far. never read the books. it seems fine, idk. better than most tv sci fi, seems about as "good" as raised by wolves was

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

just finished watching battle at lake changjing. it's not bad..

pretty good, actually

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

battle at lake changjing the channel

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Shaggar posted:

i watched the first 2.5 eps of the time wheel show and i just got bored. i havent read the books and the characters werent interesting enough to be a game of thrones nor was it fun and campy like a hurcules or xena. borrrriinnnggggg.

yes, its very true to the source material.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah witcher was good imo

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jesus WEP posted:

the one about dark quiet death

that was solid but my partner could not get over that lady being so mopey looking for so long

but yeah, it's an okay show and has its moments on average and it gets weirdly better when it's being made in the pandemic, maybe since the pandemic episode got too real for a bit there?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/noctambulando/status/1462188966845685763

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

badass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk why but i love that kurosawa was a lakers fan

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean the dude specialized in dramatic, drawn-out tragedies

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

Lmao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

:rackem:

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, its hilarious because Perrin's behavior throughout the series is inexplicable and irritating and inventing a fridged wife does so much to explain all the stupid things he does.

Yea, and his aversion to violence, especially after killing his wife and unborn kid . I liked the change. Hopefully this means the whole relationship with Faile gets cut as well.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Witcher S1 feeling the need to do time skips was annoying, felt very reactive to westworld. also turning nilfguard into evil stormtroopers instead of just an imperial German power as written by a polish person.

i've never read the books or played the games, but in the show it's more subtle than just an evil empire. everyone shits on nilfgaard constantly as a hopeless backwater with funny customs, and the king is a bumbler whom everybody hates. then he gets overthrown by a grimly serious religious sect, and they launch a righteous crusade that sweeps across the continent. sort of a mix of late-tsarist russia, napoleonic france, and the inquisition

i've been rewatching it, and now that i know the basic timeline, the way the time skips let them tell these simultaneous intertwined stories actually makes a lot of sense. i don't think it was a reaction to westworld. but it was totally impossible to follow the first time through, and i don't know whether they were just too caught up in the story to see how it played, or if they just expected that people would watch it twice

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 22, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

an important lesson in eastern european philosophy, "no matter how bad things are, they can always get worse"

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

rjmccall posted:

i've never read the books or played the games, but in the show it's more subtle than just an evil empire. everyone shits on nilfgaard constantly as a hopeless backwater with funny customs, and the king is a bumbler whom everybody hates. then he gets overthrown by a grimly serious religious sect, and they launch a righteous crusade that sweeps across the continent. sort of a mix of late-tsarist russia, napoleonic france, and the inquisition

i've been rewatching it, and now that i know the basic timeline, the way the time skips let them tell these simultaneous intertwined stories actually makes a lot of sense. i don't think it was a reaction to westworld. but it was totally impossible to follow the first time through, and i don't know whether they were just too caught up in the story to see how it played, or if they just expected that people would watch it twice

fair enough, I saw the time skip as a way of adding a mystery box to a narrative that didn’t need it. agree it was much better second time through.

not as sure on nilfgaard, apparently cahir becomes part of Gerald’s adventuring party later? that might be hard with the way he was characterised. maybe I’m underestimating the writers though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

milfgaard

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1462584125215358980

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
fanfic is the worst

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
now we know a bit of what happened
https://twitter.com/inputmag/status/1462867244283842560

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/AlanJohnson/status/1462818435822338049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i read about a third of this and skimmed the rest because it was rapidly becoming exhausting

tl;dr: like many artists, she is just nuts