Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1457406292088197125?t=fLxrmi4BI38E6fU43bGzrA&s=19
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1457409013457555462?t=9vp1x0o8deSROpZs1sXIEA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
It looks like LTT got jealous of all the fancy test equipment Gamers Nexus was buying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt3-6BsWlPk

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr.Radar posted:

It looks like LTT got jealous of all the fancy test equipment Gamers Nexus was buying:

don't worry, they're just DIYing everything instead

i know linus is hiring actual educated professionals but i am skeptical of them having the same rigor in testing methodology as GN does

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arivia posted:

i know linus is hiring actual educated professionals but i am skeptical of them having the same rigor in testing methodology as GN does

They can be rigorous and professional as Linus wants as long as he's fine losing a shitton of money on the endeavor. Because he's gonna lose his shirt.

GN gets like 1/10th the views that LTT does, they have a staff of what, 4? 5? And Steve obviously pinches his pennies to keep the operation running and independent. That's the market for boring review and analysis mega-nerd videos.

All those tech review websites that he cites as inspirational, they all closed and moved on for a reason. TR was even doing the patreon thing before patreon, getting donations from members. And those were shoe-string operations compared to the 80s-90s magazines that they were in turn inspired by. Those days are never coming back, the money for a big staff was only there in the hyper-competitive market of the early PC era.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Again people with the incredibly good analysis that Linus Sebastian is a moron in business and is just about to fail.

What's funny is that the same people who think this is a bad decision, last time they posted ITT about LTT they were complaining that Linus wasn't focused enough on technical analysis.

Classic goon comedy.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

Again people with the incredibly good analysis that Linus Sebastian is a moron in business and is just about to fail.

What's funny is that the same people who think this is a bad decision, last time they posted ITT about LTT they were complaining that Linus wasn't focused enough on technical analysis.

Classic goon comedy.

I don't get what you're criticizing? Klyith is clearly saying that they don't expect a more clickbait and entertainment-oriented channel like LTT to get into rigorous testing because quality content usually isn't the way to success on Youtube. Wanting something and recognizing reality aren't the same thing.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It looks like he's making a huge bet on this, it's really amazing and I hope it works out for him.

Edit: he even said the long form rigorous analysis won't be on youtube, instead it will be on white papers on their website. Youtube clips will like say 'This is the best power supply for $100' and not go much deeper than that.

Part of the issue with Gamers Nexus is that he is incredibly detailed. The addressable market of nerds who want to see 20 graphs of 30 configurations in a 40 minute video is incredibly small. Linus obviously caters to a more mainstream crowd so I'd expect him to come up with a more mainstream way of distilling all this data.

EngineerJoe fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 18, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If he wants to retire at any point, his business needs to be as diverse as possible - he can't really retire if the audience jumps ship with him.

Having a lab/analysis org like Anandtech is possibly a smart move as it lessens the pressure on him to show up 7 days a week to make video face. In the future you'll probably go to lttlabs.com to compare monitor or coolers scores and hit the juicy affiliate links.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

Part of the issue with Gamers Nexus is that he is incredibly detailed. The addressable market of nerds who want to see 20 graphs of 30 configurations in a 40 minute video is incredibly small. Linus obviously caters to a more mainstream crowd so I'd expect him to come up with a more mainstream way of distilling all this data.

What if GN went through route of LTT and did more 8 - 15 minute videos that covers a good chunk in more entertaining fashion, but then links to a whitepaper or their detailed analysis. There are definitely people who prefer their approach so there's no reason to not still deliver that, but I think he may be missing out on a large junk of viewers by simply being only long form videos.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

What if GN went through route of LTT and did more 8 - 15 minute videos that covers a good chunk in more entertaining fashion, but then links to a whitepaper or their detailed analysis. There are definitely people who prefer their approach so there's no reason to not still deliver that, but I think he may be missing out on a large junk of viewers by simply being only long form videos.

IMO Steve likes it the way it is and won’t change. And I personally agree with it. I wouldn’t watch if he went LTT.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If GN were to switch to the LTT model, I'd unsubscribe and click "Don't recommend this channel" just the same.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The patreon model hopefully means he won't need to dumb down his content.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

This is very good news for everyone in the industry except maybe the large corporations that benefit from tech illiteracy. One of the biggest issues in the tech industry right now is the lack of awareness of how tech works among both the customers and the tech media. Take monitor reviews for example. There are way too many major tech media outlets that just read the specs off the box and then write a few subjective paragraphs about how it's like to use the monitor. Nobody seems to understand what half of the specs even mean. There are dedicated monitor review sites out there that suggest monitors based on their advertised gtg response times. TechPowerUp ranks the noise to performance efficiency for the fans they review based on CFM per decibel, which is just comically wrong. What is even going on with PSUs? It's impossible to know what's good or not without reading thousands of forum posts. And that applies for most products in the PC tech industry. The only products that get consistently decent reviews are graphics cards and CPUs, it seems. And a dumb media leads to dumb consumers. Both of these combined lead to a culture of dishonest marketing in the corporate tech world. Unless you're making a GPU or CPU, you can basically say anything, and most of the media—and the consumers—will take your word for it.

This is why Gamers Nexus is such a valuable resource for product reviews. They have a philosophy of rigorous testing standards that is second to none in this industry, but there's still a downward slide in standards happening. LTT hiring actual engineers to test products more rigorously is a great move. Hopefully their videos for more casual viewers will manage to educate them better on all the marketing BS going around these days, improving tech literacy all around. And they'll also hopefully be able to help raise awareness of the marketing BS in the tech media, leading everyone else to improve their own standards as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 18, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Linus buying a cable tester and instantly going mad with power is cool and good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

Unless they stopped doing it while I wasn’t paying attention this is what GN always does, there’s an article up on their website for each review with more data and charts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Who's ready for the worst prebuilt yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqK9wR6KMLs

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In absolute awe at that, that is bordering on art.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is it possible that that is a result of a 3rd party buying iBUYPOWER machines, swapping the video cards out and reselling them? And obviously Amazon not giving a single poo poo about what happens on their store.

Edit: Ah ok, this is just companies churning out old cards with a new name. Ignore.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 22, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
at first I thought some SI was ballsy enough to use one of those Aliexpress specials where the GTS 450 has a fake-flashed BIOS to make it look like a GTX 1050 or whatever, but apparently this is a legitimate thing where a GT 730 is actually a GT 630 is actually a GT 430? what the gently caress was NVidia thinking?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Steve didn't say it in the video (he probably should have), but GN confirmed with ibuypower that they did indeed design the system that way. On purpose. With an entry-level fermi gpu. The hosed up amazon listing is the reseller's fault, though.

They also have listings on the microsoft store, newegg, and walmart, from different resellers. It seems ibuypower doesn't sell that system directly, but instead sells it to other retailers or resellers, hence not being on their site. But it is a legit ibuypower system.

There's a company that buys up old Dell 6th-gen intel optiplexes and resells them on newegg with 16gb of ram and an rx550 tossed in them for less than $450. Even those would be a huge improvement over this ibuypower abomination.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 22, 2021

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The most depressing thing is that manufacturers are producing what is effectively e-waste, a system outclassed by modern integrated video or a console.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Pretty hilarious/sad that card is in there when even the ryzen 4000 series apu chips would be an upgrade.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lol at 3.3 FPS in R6 on a 3600 system.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

JuffoWup posted:

Pretty hilarious/sad that card is in there when even the ryzen 4000 series apu chips would be an upgrade.

A Zen+ R5 3400G would have significantly more GPU power. I daresay a 2200G would probably have more GPU power.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait is that real? A 10 year old entry-level GPU? In a machine built in 2021?

That would be like selling a new computer with a... 2500K and 2GB of RAM?

Ah the memories... except in this case a decent video card
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au1OUhFLDuE

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 23, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It gets a whopping 3 frames per second in red dead redemption 2, which is honestly more than I thought it would.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It gets a whopping 3 frames per second in red dead redemption 2, which is honestly more than I thought it would.

FuturePastNow posted:

A Zen+ R5 3400G would have significantly more GPU power. I daresay a 2200G would probably have more GPU power.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHn7VADBqyg

A Bulldozer APU with a Radeon R7 integrated GPU still does better than it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cHn7VADBqyg

A Bulldozer APU with a Radeon R7 integrated GPU still does better than it

I think with RDR2, it was demanding more VRAM than the 730 had, and when that happens performance always craters. The fermi GT 730 has just 2GB... of DDR3. Meanwhile, the 5700G can run RDR2 at 1080p medium settings at over 30fps (though with some awful 1% and 0.1% lows). On paper, the 5700G is approximately 3.5 times as powerful as the fermi 730's GPU, so this disproportionate improvement tells us that even a pathetic GPU like this rebranded GT 430 can be held back by lovely memory configurations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I watched the LTT new studio/HQ video recently and thought, "woah, it's so much bigger than I imagined"*

Just watched the 'old/current' GN one and I'm "holy poo poo it's so, so much smaller than I imagined"
It's amazing that they put out so much quality stuff from that wee place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoRn3S0E_4

*Seriously, I had no idea it was such a massive operation.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 3, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A 10 minute video every day means more when you realise that’s the runtime of 30 movies a year.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

well why not posted:

A 10 minute video every day means more when you realise that’s the runtime of 30 movies a year.

Also the fact that 90% of the labor involved at GN (building test systems, benchmarking, etc) doesn’t even make it to video.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LTT is like the biggest, most expensive example of this where they have over 40 employees now with a massive office, and they're buying new offices to expand even more. It seems ridiculous, until you realize that they run like 5 channels, and their videos are probably the most well-edited tech videos on youtube. Say what you will about a lot of the content, but the production work on their videos is seriously impressive, especially for a group that puts out videos every single day.

It seems like GN has a huge backlog of stuff that they've run most of the testing for and just need to write and film the content. Hopefully they can process that backlog more easily now that they've moved to a new office.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Yeah, I wasn't so aware how much LTT put out.
I only started watching their stuff again last week after totally avoiding it for a few years. It seems that he's calmed down a lot and overall the stuff is less, idk, cringey? I used to really like some of the things they covered, but the manic energy and stuff was too much for me. It seems so much better now. Still has it's own character too.
Seems like a decent place to work.
Either that or I'm getting more tolerant as I get old.

The quality and depth of stuff that GN have put out with such limited space and resources is very impressive. Looking forward to seeing what the put out with the new setup

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 4, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Also that LTT do vidya stuff for other people.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kerbtree posted:

Also that LTT do vidya stuff for other people.

Yeah LTT is a division of Linus Media Group and LMG runs a for-hire editing shop in the television land of Vancouver.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
GN reviews the Asus Gundam PSU. There are some anime jokes, but for most people the useful content is that the Asus PSU is both really good and based on the current Seasonic Focus Gold platform (with upgraded heatsinks, fan, and bling). So if you have a recent one of those and are wondering how they stack up, seems pretty good!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
A bit disappointed in the sort of just weak magnet thing on there as decoration when it could have been like, a paint job or something, but it's great that it's not attached to some garbage PSU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Shipon posted:

A bit disappointed in the sort of just weak magnet thing on there as decoration when it could have been like, a paint job or something, but it's great that it's not attached to some garbage PSU

I feel like if you are buying the PSU, your standards are already compromised. You can get a TX for the same price as that gold prime platform, so....

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=057I2v6D-1k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
Man seeing Anthony in more and more LTT videos lately has been so refreshing.

Also seeing LTT videos without the in-stream ads on floatplane is so weird. Nice but weird