Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I read most of it and yeah she falls into a pattern of repeatedly becoming unable to deal with public attention and setting her persona on fire (sometimes literally) as a coping/escape mechanism

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean what did you expect based on the comic?!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/i/status/1461737011719512070

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

ghostbusters afterlife p0wns my ectoplasm/green/slime area

mystes
May 31, 2006

What about the stuff before the last half hour?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

i read about a third of this and skimmed the rest because it was rapidly becoming exhausting

tl;dr: like many artists, she is just nuts

according to that article 2007 was very early days for the internet, and nobody had really thought about using it for art before :rolleyes:

also 2014 was when the internet "started to become mean" and also when webcomics first became popular

e: god this article sucks. the whole thing is just breathlessly fawning over the idea that using the internet for anything creative is some kind of profound outsider art.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 23, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rjmccall posted:

i've never read the books or played the games, but in the show it's more subtle than just an evil empire. everyone shits on nilfgaard constantly as a hopeless backwater with funny customs, and the king is a bumbler whom everybody hates. then he gets overthrown by a grimly serious religious sect, and they launch a righteous crusade that sweeps across the continent. sort of a mix of late-tsarist russia, napoleonic france, and the inquisition

i've been rewatching it, and now that i know the basic timeline, the way the time skips let them tell these simultaneous intertwined stories actually makes a lot of sense. i don't think it was a reaction to westworld. but it was totally impossible to follow the first time through, and i don't know whether they were just too caught up in the story to see how it played, or if they just expected that people would watch it twice

despite having played all three games (some 2 or 3 times) and knowing the characters and backstory I didn't get the time skips for like half way through the first time I watched it and had no idea what the gently caress was happening.

now it makes a lot more sense!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

might be some rose-tinted reminiscence of how much context and coherence there was to the first witcher game's story itt

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i miss pfsc and achewood and all those old webcomics that were as big as a comic could be back then

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i read a hell of a lot of webcomics religiously in the 2000s and almost all of them were dog poo poo in retrospect. achewood is probably the GOAT. a lesson is learned was was also a favourite. Perry Bible fellowship ended up overplayed but the comic was good and the creator had the wisdom to end it at a good time. I remember enjoying men in hats but I'm not sure how it holds up.

I ran my own dog poo poo webcomic in like grade 10 so I can assess webcomic quality with authority

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Truman Peyote posted:

Perry Bible fellowship ended up overplayed but the comic was good and the creator had the wisdom to end it at a good time.

he only ended it for like a year or two, it is back and updating semi regularly

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Truman Peyote posted:

i read a hell of a lot of webcomics religiously in the 2000s and almost all of them were dog poo poo in retrospect. achewood is probably the GOAT. a lesson is learned was was also a favourite. Perry Bible fellowship ended up overplayed but the comic was good and the creator had the wisdom to end it at a good time. I remember enjoying men in hats but I'm not sure how it holds up.

I ran my own dog poo poo webcomic in like grade 10 so I can assess webcomic quality with authority

achewood and pbf's creators did an increasingly weird presentation when i was in college and it was a good showcase of how their styles worked outside the medium they were known for at the time

i was in grad school and had been reading web comics for over a decade by then, so that article waxing on about the early days of internet art or whatever is laffo. i do agree the timing matched the hard focus and increase on engagement with an audience, though, and kickstarter being a weird transitional space from the traditional storefront to a pre-purchase patronage model that has been unfairly demanding on a lot of artists

and yeah, i also ran a short-lived webcomic way back and it died on the vine like so many others. i made the rookie mistake of overdoing each panel and quickly burnt out trying to maintain any schedule

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

'just make the art simpler'

'no'

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Agile Vector posted:

'just make the art simpler'

'no'

**jazz hands** MEGATOKYOOoo

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

huh

back in february I somehow stumbled upon the http://picturesforsadchildren.online/ site, and it had a paypal link where you could pay $5 - I took a gamble, and got a download link that contained a PDF with all the PFSC comics. it seems like now you can pay $15 for some undefined "art subscription" and I'm a bit tempted

edit: it's $15 a month apparently, which is a bit too much for me to keep recurring at least

double edit: removed a link that seems to just be for subscribers, possibly

ymgve fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 23, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/steelydante/status/1462660117103534081

lmao ouch

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jesus christ i do that every single night

also "lets put a movie on its 9 pm!"

9:37 pm still flipping through plex: "gently caress it it's late, i'll put star trek on again"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
just watched Collateral though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i committed and am about 27 minutes into Train To Busan and this is loving _great_

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh yeah i loved that movie

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
yeah train to busan is super good

I liked it and I'm loving sick of zombies

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can tell every actor is super into it

[ENTHUSIASTIC ZOMBIE HISS]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i also like trains

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh yeah? name 3 famous engineers

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is this kpop

https://i.imgur.com/HjLoDa5.mp4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SmokaDustbowl posted:

just watched Collateral though
excellent choice

the only other good movie that michael mann did besides heat, and thief.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this movie loving whips wow

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

the only other good movie that michael mann did besides heat, and thief.
thief is so good

tuesday weld :swoon:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

jesus christ i do that every single night

also "lets put a movie on its 9 pm!"

9:37 pm still flipping through plex: "gently caress it it's late, i'll put star trek on again"

please, i beg of you, stop sharing my viewing habits

yesterday was putting on darmok and i guess i paused it just before the titular line by the campfire when i dozed off watching it a few weeks ago

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
k just finished train to busan wow what a fucken good movie

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

So do they get to Busan

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
by steamboat, probably

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

achewood and pbf's creators did an increasingly weird presentation when i was in college and it was a good showcase of how their styles worked outside the medium they were known for at the time

i was in grad school and had been reading web comics for over a decade by then, so that article waxing on about the early days of internet art or whatever is laffo. i do agree the timing matched the hard focus and increase on engagement with an audience, though, and kickstarter being a weird transitional space from the traditional storefront to a pre-purchase patronage model that has been unfairly demanding on a lot of artists

and yeah, i also ran a short-lived webcomic way back and it died on the vine like so many others. i made the rookie mistake of overdoing each panel and quickly burnt out trying to maintain any schedule

that's pretty rad. for me i stopped due to a combination of burnout and realizing that it just wasn't very good. i got a lot better at drawing from doing it so regularly, though, so no effort is really wasted.

one thing i distinctly remember is that the only advice out there for web comic artists at the time was "make sure you stick to a regular schedule." that was absolutely everywhere, always the first thing people said and often the only thing. i don't know if i ever saw someone say "make sure your poo poo doesn't suck."

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

So do they get to Busan

no dont spoil it. i havent seen it yet.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

no dont spoil it. i havent seen it yet.

i thought you liked trains

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Truman Peyote posted:

might be some rose-tinted reminiscence of how much context and coherence there was to the first witcher game's story itt

I mean the first one was mostly about collecting cards for sleeping with women/elves/dryads etc.

it did have the striga in it though which is why I was like "oh no Geralt you're gonna have to kite it round the crypt until morning!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's weird to see blue checks tweeting a dude with an avatar of a he-man covered in cum

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

So do they get to Busan
it's called Train to Busan, not Train in Busan, jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Endless Mike posted:

it's weird to see blue checks tweeting a dude with an avatar of a he-man covered in cum
nah. blue checks are amoral attention goblins