Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Latest update: Prey - Part 10

HERE WE GO AGAIN
In this thread, supposedly bi-weekly, a roguelite game will be chosen by popular vote and I, roguelite professional Party Bug, will (probably) make as informative a playthrough of it as I can given the time allowed. Generally one video per game, but possibly more if the game is worth showing off.

WHAT IS A ROGUELITE?
Whatever I say it is! In general games that fall into the roguelite genre can (generally) be boiled down to a set of four criteria:

- Composed of procedurally generated content
- Features perma-death
- Focus on non-tile / turn based gameplay
- Is not the game Rogue

Obviously this leaves a lot of room for different genres and types of games, so it's sort of a wide umbrella. Spelunky, Binding of Isaac, and Rogue Legacy are three popular examples of the roguelite genre that everyone is probably aware of. There's some contention on whether these games should be called roguelikes or not, or if some are roguelikes and some are roguelites, or other dumb minutia, but I'm calling everything in here a roguelite.

HOW IT WORKS
Once I've finished the currently game I'll be selecting 3 roguelites from the big list I've compiled. The thread will get to vote on which one is picked. Once a roguelite is selected the following will happen:

- I will make one (or more) videos going as in-depth as I can about that game.

Wow! Generally I'm going to stick to released games of at least middling quality. I might showcase bad games in some fashion, but I'd rather actually play things I don't hate.

I FEEL LIKE I'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE
The previous roguelite threads can be found here:
- Roguelite Thread
- Roguelite Thread: 2nd Run

That's probably over 100 roguelites, think of the value!

FINISH YOUR HADES LP
Whodes?

UPDATES
MONSTER TRAIN - Part 2
METALLIC CHILD
DREAMSCAPER - Part 2
PAWNBARIAN
FIGHTS IN TIGHT SPACES
DEFLECTOR: SPECIMEN ZERO
THE WIND AND WILTING BLOSSOM - Part 2
CURSE OF THE DEAD GODS
BLADE ASSAULT
DEFEND THE ROOK
ROGUEBOOK
DOOMED TO HELL
PREY: MOONCRASH - Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3 / Part 4 / Part 5 / Part 7 / Part 8 / Part 9 / Part 10
ROGUEJACK
SHOTGUN KING
EYES IN THE DARK - Part 2
BEAT INVADERS
BRUTAL ORCHESTRA
CURSED TO GOLF

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
This space for rent.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Monster Train is such a good game it made me post another LP. I'm also pretty bad at it.

Monster Train - Part 1
Monster Train - Part 2

:siren: WHAT'S NEXT? :siren:
Let's vote!

METALLIC CHILD
“Grab, hurl, and eliminate” Rogue-lite Core-Action!! A large-scale rebellion erupts within the spacecraft “Life Stream.” With the help of you, Rona, an android known as “Metallic Child,” stands up against a fleet of massive robots to stop the plot devised by her own creator, Doctor Irene.

RISING HELL
Rising Hell is a vertical platformer rogue-lite filled with adrenaline-pumping action and tons of heavy gothic metal shreds. Climb out from the ever-changing hell while you fight hordes of blood-lusting demons.

CRITADEL
Critadel is a futuristic platform/shooter/roguelike with three playable characters, hundreds of branching paths and over 100,000 unique weapon configurations!

Voting closes on Friday at midnight MST.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm gonna rep Undermine to be added to the list, because it's the closest I've come to scratching my Binding of Isaac itch in a while. And it's fun.

But yeah, Critadel I guess

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Critadel looks cool!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its Back!

Metallic Child reminds me of budget PSP games but with better graphics

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Rising Hell, please.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Metallic Child.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You're back! Metallic Child, please.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Also voting for Metallic Child, and seconding Undermine to be added to the list, and also Going Under.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Critadel

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Metallic Child ended up being a pretty simple game. I can't say I recommend it, it mostly just makes me wish there was a proper character action roguelite out there somewhere.

:siren: WHAT NEXT? :siren:
Here's some video games!

ROGUE LORDS
A dark fantasy roguelike where you play as the Devil! Lead famous evil geniuses through events and turn-based fights to spread terror and corruption. Create synergies between your disciples, use your evil powers and take revenge on those miserable Demon Hunters.

GUNNHILDER
Gunnhildr is a narrative shooter set in a Norse-inspired sci-fi world. Defy the gods and give Niflheim new life through fast paced first person combat in an ever-changing world full of powers and stories to uncover.

DREAMSCAPER
By night, delve deep into your subconscious and discover powerful artifacts to conquer your nightmares. By day, explore the city of Redhaven and build relationships to unlock the power of your dreams. DREAM. DIE. WAKE. REPEAT.

Voting ends Friday, midnight MST!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Dreamscaper is a pretty great one, I like this game quite a bit.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Rogue Lords has an interesting description.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Good lord, Dreamscaper is the only one that didn't make me go "I want to see exactly zero more of this". Rogue Lords has an interesting description, sure, but that description tells you more than the entire bloody trailer does, which only makes me wonder what drek they're hiding. And it feels there's a weird lag in the Gunnhildr trailer between firing projectile weapons and the projectiles actually spawning (often not on the gun barrel but on the point where they'd fired, because they'd moved in the meantime) that just bugged the hell out of me watching it.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Another vote for Dreamscaper

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

put me down for Dreamscaper

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dreamscaper looks slick.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Dreamscaper is pretty good. I forgot to mention in the video, but it's also been patched several times since I originally played it. There's some new items and it's less grindy, which makes me recommend it even more.

:siren: What's next!? :siren:

PAWNBARIAN
Use your wits and a deck of chess pieces to conquer dungeons full of cunning monsters in this quick-playing puzzle roguelike!

INTO THE PIT
Sometimes life gonna get you down, hit the ground runnin', take a look around, you think you found love, but you're standin' in the pit

RUIN RAIDERS
Ruin Raiders is a turn-based tactical roguelike where you command customizable squads on a one-way journey into the ruins of an ancient civilization. Master turn-based combat, craft new technologies, and dive into ever-changing ruins to unveil the past!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

I'm going to vote for Pawnbarian just because it looks like it actually has a unique twist on the rogue-like/lite formula.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I will vouch for Pawnbarian having played it myself and yes, it's good

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I couldn't decide whether to vote for Pawnbarian or Ruin Raiders because they both look interesting, but it turns out Pawnbarian has a demo and Ruin Raiders doesn't. So I'm voting for Ruin Raiders.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Felinoid posted:

I couldn't decide whether to vote for Pawnbarian or Ruin Raiders because they both look interesting, but it turns out Pawnbarian has a demo and Ruin Raiders doesn't. So I'm voting for Ruin Raiders.

Ruin Raiders absolutely has a demo, on the humble trove. Into The Pit

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Some post-Thanksgiving Dreamscaper for you all.

The next game will be Pawnbarian. It'll probably be a real short video, if I can ever beat the second dungeon.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

I got all the best chess moves here, I got the nimzo indian, the sicilian, the gueens gambit, mexican halloween, I got all of them, right here.

:siren: NEXT GAME! :siren:

FIGHTS IN TIGHT SPACES
A stylish blend of deck-building, turn-based tactics, and thrilling animated fight sequences in classic action-movie settings. Learn to balance your hand, momentum, and positioning to overcome the odds to defeat your adversaries. Build your deck, control the space and live to fight another day.

ZIGGURAT 2
Ziggurat is back, and now it's even better! Use powerful weapons and spells to break through hordes of enemies and explore labyrinthine dungeons in this hectic roguelite FPS, while you improve your skills and discover new equipment.

SWORD THE NECROMANCER
Help Tama to save Koko using the powers of the forbidden Sword of the Necromancer. Turn your foes into allies and reach the depths of the Necromancer's dungeon. Defeat the guardians to gain enough soul power to bring Koko back from the dead, no matter the cost.

Poll closes on Friday at midnight, MST.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

:doh: nimble enemies CAN be killed in one hit if the way they'd have to escape is impassable, i.e. you could have used the queen at 8:55 to kill that last dude because he can't go south. this also applies to nimble enemies that are bunched up next to others. important to this weakness is knowing that nimble enemies only ever escape the direction opposite the direction the attack is coming from; attack a nimble enemy from the south and it will only ever escape north, or from the northwest and it will only be able to escape southwest. a nimble enemy in a corner is dead no matter how you attack; a nimble enemy against a wall is dead as long you're not moving along the wall. this ALSO goes for if the nimble enemy's escape route is blocked by another enemy which is why I mentioned the whole bunched up thing

also I'm contractually required to vote for Fights in Tight Spaces because I've had too much fun with it

e: :argh: you even did kill one or two of them just like that!

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 7, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Fights in Tight Spaces is super fun!

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Also Fights in Tight Spaces, because again, it's different from the usual fair.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Honestly I'd be fine with seeing FiTS (such a good acronym for the title, goddamn) or Sword of the Necromancer, so I'll put in a balancing vote for Sword of the Necromancer. I'm just too much of a sucker for a love story. :kimchi:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Honestly I'd be fine with seeing FiTS (such a good acronym for the title, goddamn) or Sword of the Necromancer, so I'll put in a balancing vote for Sword of the Necromancer. I'm just too much of a sucker for a love story. :kimchi:

Sword of the Necromancer definitely looks sharp as hell and I'll be glad to vote for it when it hopefully comes up later

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a demo/prologue for Sword of the Necromancer. It was enough to sell me on the game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

FiTS is rad, but please unlock some non-starter decks before showing it off because the starter deck is very boring

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

biosterous posted:

FiTS is rad, but please unlock some non-starter decks before showing it off because the starter deck is very boring

This is true.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

There's also the option to build decks from scratch too, very nice for getting lots of front kicks.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sword

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ziggurat 2.

Pawnbarian looks neat, think I'll get it this month.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

Still reading it as Prawnbarian, and now I want a shrimp-based rogue-like.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

FIGHTS IN TIGHT SPACES
It seems interesting from the little I saw of it

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

The best fights in the tightest spaces. I got a really good deck in draft mode on this run, very agressive. At some point I may see if I can actually beat the game with it.

:siren: WHAT NEXT :siren:

Here are some video games:

DEFLECTOR: SPECIMEN ZERO
Deflector: Specimen Zero is a high-octane bullet hell roguelite set in a deadly world. Upgrade your character with the DNA you find, evolve him further during your runs and explore the farthest reaches of this microcosm… or die trying.

BLACK FUTURE 88
Black Future ’88 is a Synth-Punk roguelike 2D action Shooter. Vertically climb an always evolving procedural tower to reach the top and kill its insane owner…before your heart explodes. Shoot, slash, dash and upgrade yourself to survive the endless waves of Homicidal AI, Traps & Colossal Wardens.

PIRATES OUTLAWS
Pirates Outlaws is a roguelike card game in which you navigate dangerous seas and challenge their masters. Your expedition will be full of ambushes and will not be easy. Build your deck and combos to become a reputed pirate.

Voting ends Friday at midnight MST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

That looked a lot more fun then I was expecting, might buy it myself

I'll vote for **DEFLECTOR** for next