Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

mfw i find out there will be a new skeleton in dead cells

this update should be called 'Gamemaster Anthony's Birthday'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

definitely appreciate game awareness posts, there's so many good games on steam out there that just get buried and only spread through word of mouth that even if you've seen them mentioned in another thread before it doesn't hurt to throw out a post about them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

roguelike where every time you die you play what killed you

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

victrix posted:

You just made me angry about DCSS all over again, arghh

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

victrix posted:

Bringing back some vague memory of a roguelike browser game where you could play as any enemy you killed, with all their increasingly odd abilities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a Changeling in Streets of Rogue and Shapeshifter in ToME.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
how do you play as incompetent hubris

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

how do you play as incompetent hubris

By turning off your monitor.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jack Trades posted:

By turning off your monitor.
ascii was better than lovely programmer art

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

victrix posted:

There was a zombie roguelike that let you do this. So you could start as a survivor, come back as a zombie, and then end up as some evil security guard that ignores hunger.

Posession and Midboss are the two roguelikes I think of when it comes to taking over enemy skillsets.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

habituallyred posted:

There was a zombie roguelike that let you do this. So you could start as a survivor, come back as a zombie, and then end up as some evil security guard that ignores hunger.

poo poo, I remember playing that game and it being pretty darn good. What was it called again?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serephina posted:

You just made me angry about DCSS all over again, arghh
Play the Kimchi fork.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

poo poo, I remember playing that game and it being pretty darn good. What was it called again?

rogue survivor

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks. Shame that it's super dead.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Bringing back some vague memory of a roguelike browser game where you could play as any enemy you killed, with all their increasingly odd abilities.

Not a browser game but Midboss has you possessing monsters and gaining their abilities.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I remember Rogue Survivor! I moved to playing it for a while after C:DDA disappeared up its own rear end.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks. Shame that it's super dead.

Semi-super dead~ Things Happen every Some Months, Roughly...but it is Something:

https://zaimoni.medium.com/rogue-survivor-revived-savefile-break-c59e80827ef3

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

mfw i find out there will be a new skeleton in dead cells

this update should be called 'Gamemaster Anthony's Birthday'

I appreciate your devotion to liches/necromancers/undead/skeletons/etc

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I mean who doesn't love skeletons

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Irony.or.Death posted:

I mean who doesn't love skeletons

The Fourth Stimpire.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Last Stand: Aftermath dropped a patch that fixed the outstanding issues I saw with physics objects occasionally blocking your path, containers clipping and becoming unsearchable, and problematic aim up and down the Z-axis. Got through the third biome and unlocked the fourth, which is on fire. Didn't actually reach it, though - had a truly impressive horde pop out at the final hurdle of the third biome, though I did last long enough to see the gate open.

Skipping nodes is actually proving to be more useful than I thought, once I get a decent collection of batteries -- less time on the virus counter, more chance to go to places with some guaranteed good things.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

FishMcCool posted:

The Fourth Stimpire.

I like to think that they take all the skeletons they remove from people for breathing too loudly or whatever and let them run free on a preserve. :unsmith:

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Jack Trades posted:

There's a Changeling in Streets of Rogue and Shapeshifter in ToME.

There's also MidBoss and Possession, which are whole roguelikes.

Glazius posted:

The Last Stand: Aftermath dropped a patch that fixed the outstanding issues I saw with physics objects occasionally blocking your path, containers clipping and becoming unsearchable, and problematic aim up and down the Z-axis. Got through the third biome and unlocked the fourth, which is on fire. Didn't actually reach it, though - had a truly impressive horde pop out at the final hurdle of the third biome, though I did last long enough to see the gate open.

I remember seeing younger boys at my high school playing one of the previous iterations of this a ton. Kinda crazy that the dev is still around, doing their thing. Good for them!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I appreciate your devotion to liches/necromancers/undead/skeletons/etc

thanks, i think my hierarchy goes:

- undead
- goblins
- other monsters

- sexed/anime'd up versions of monsters

- standard adventuring party races

i think undead are the most interesting cause they're like a whole different type of life, and also skellingtons are fun and cool. goblins are empathetic because they're cute and the underdogs. other monsters are just more visually interesting and cool than humans, and elves/dwarves/gnomes etc are just humans in different aspect ratios unless the creator is doing something interesting. some games reduce like orcs or goblins to basically mildly different humans with green skin and cutesy fangs, which just strips them of what makes them special.

although the worst option is always generic military man or generic cute girl.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
where do animals fit in this hierarchy? I’ve always had a soft spot for dcss just including an octopus as one of the starting character types

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

nrook posted:

where do animals fit in this hierarchy? I’ve always had a soft spot for dcss just including an octopus as one of the starting character types

Animals are best tier. It's not a roguelike, but Dungeon Encounters might be of interest to people in this thread and you can play as a dog with a sword :allears:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Dungeon encounters lets you assemble a full team of nonhumans (chose 4 from: dragon, robot, giant cat, dog with sword, anthro panther man)

You can also get your human party members semi-permanently turned into hamsters to become honorary members of team nonhuman. It normally sucks and makes them deal no damage, but there’s a secret sword that flips it around and become the strongest weapon in the game when wielded by a hamsterified party member

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BrianRx posted:

I liked what little I played of the demo despite being sceptical because of its origins. Steam reviews are mixed, which usually means bad unless something very specific clicks and you can overlook glaring faults. I'd like to buy and give it a shot but am leery. Everything you mentioned was the stuff I liked in the demo. What's rough about it? I do remember zombies being both dumb and also able to see you through walls and while sneaking.
I've only played enough to get to the second zone but so far I'd say if you enjoyed the demo the full game is just more of that.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

nrook posted:

animals vary with how much of a furry design they are. not bc im mad at furries or w/e but bc it kind of robs the animal of what makes them cute when they're just a human with a lion head and tail. cartoony anthropomorphic animals are cool, like the bugs in hollow knight or i guess the characters in gunfire reborn? idk i was having a hard time thinking of examples right now.

the best is when its either a regular animal who is doing human type stuff or i guess when an animal is just slightly more upright and has thumbs, like rocket raccoon or the beavers in timberborn

raccoons get bonus points in all situations because they are the irl version of goblins

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

luchadornado posted:

Animals are best tier. It's not a roguelike, but Dungeon Encounters might be of interest to people in this thread and you can play as a dog with a sword :allears:

I saw that game and was extremely confused by it.
What's the deal with Squeenix developing a game with programmer art and then asking 30$ for it?

Is that literally just JRPG Rogue?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
actually a big studio making a proper wizardry style dungeon crawler is good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nrook posted:

if you want to play as Literally Just A Crab then i like recommending that species that's in the kimchi fork of crawl at the very least. they're very well geared towards being stabbers for a multitude of reasons and going with dithmenos to be a shadow crab was fun as hell.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Heres a game which i think is really neat but i can't get very far in:

Dredgers - dredgers is a real kind of classic but real-time roguelike, in the vein of the first Unexplored or something. there are a shitload of races and classes are very freeform, and nearly all the races are cool original creations:

the race menu scrolls down a long way

you pick a starting class which determines your starting skill set (skill sets come in little bundles of 3 abilities, usually a mix of actives and passives), and once youve maxed out that skill set you can pick another set, either from the next set in the tree you're already on or you can start a new tree. this pic probably makes it easier to explain:

the catch is that your skill set can only have a certain amount of points put into it, which is less than the number of available ranks for abilities. So like the starter set has 2 skills you can put 2 points aech into, but the set only has room for 3 points to be put in, so you gotta pick which one of the skills you want at rank 2 and which at rank 1. later trees have more capacity but also more potential ranks of abilities.

what's interesting is that not all the skill sets or trees are purely combat focused, there are really extensive crafting trees, and you can craft good enough stuff for going full crafter to be viable. you might not have as many melee passives and actives as a fighter, but you will be way better protected. you can also spec into recruiting people you meet into your gang instead of killing them, or even go into necromancy, which plays out as a weird combo of a combat, crafting, and leadership skillset, with a capstone that lets you become a lich.

almost every system in the game is unique and different from the kind of genre standard. armour works like a kind of recharging shield health pool, you heal by going to sleep (standing still) in a well lit area, which will make your hunger pool tick down as your health regens. it might seem like an unnecessary complication compared to say, just having food be a heal over time, but the character races all interact meaningfully with these systems. the grobolds will convert food into health even while not sleeping, which makes them hardier but also more vulnerable to hunger, whereas the roundtooth race fills up their hunger bar every time they hit an enemy bc theyre ravenous freaks.

the xp is different too, you need green xp and blue xp to level up. blue xp you get from any kill, but green xp you only get from a new race/class combo you've not encountered before. there are enough race/class combos that its not a big deal, but it does incentivise you to explore different biomes.

the biomes in the dungeon are kind of branching paths that re-intertwine in different ways, so you can have the sewer and the dungeon and the castle on the same screen, but depending on which stairs you go down the floor below will be a different combo of biomes. there's a good variety of zones and puzzles and different types of challenges in those biomes. once i found a weird kind of lab/factory/power plant zone with all types of laser beams and traps going on, it seemed wild.

my biggest problem with the game is that i am not super good at the combat. archery seems to be the most reliable, magic is powerful but can be floaty in its projectile paths, and melee has a definite logic to it that i just havent grasped properly yet. things can be very chaotic:
https://i.imgur.com/BhATPhF.mp4
what the gently caress is happening

dredgers is a game that seems both wide and deep, but so far i have been limited to the shallows by my own ineptitude. i think if you're better at this type of game than me you would probably really love it once you get to understand its idiosyncracies.

it has an active dev and i believe is the work of one person, with the pros and cons that comes with. they seem to be in it for the long haul, dwarf fortress style, and i think the game is good enough already that its worthwhile supporting them bc its not an expensive game.

i love the seemujh, the living tv looking guy in this sleepy party
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1112930/Dredgers/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jack Trades posted:

What's the deal with Squeenix developing a game with programmer art and then asking 30$ for it?

You're in the roguelike thread, dude.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

You're in the roguelike thread, dude.

Yeah but like...Crawl isn't asking me for 30 bux and also isn't made by one of the largest publishers in the worlds.

I just don't get it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why is your comparison point Crawl? as usual you are being a weirdo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IMO we should encourage big companies to make small games like that instead of triple ten gorillion dollar budgeted graphics games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think the guy who designed on and directed all those final fantasies just wanted to do something kind of small scale for his first project in long time. it's $30 because they're selling the square enix brand. anyway it's not a roguelike at all.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
If you want to pay money to Crawl, just buy PleasingFungus’s upcoming puzzle game Manufactoria 2022!

I’m not sure which of the other Crawl devteam members (current or emeritus) have commercial indie releases. I know Linley made a ton of small free games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jack Trades posted:

I saw that game and was extremely confused by it.

Is that literally just JRPG Rogue?
This looks extremely my jam to be honest, I’ll probably pick it up. Programmer art is like Dream Quest or Card Quest, this is minimalist but not actively ugly. It’s been ages since I’ve played this sort of dungeon crawler, even Grimrock was a hard nope from me thanks to all the spiders.