Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I was just thinking how cool and good FF6 is but also there should be more Siegfried and Ultros in the game.

Omg awful snipe.

I'll be honest my GameCube is still hooked up solely so I can play FF6 Advance on my game boy player on a TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ultros should really just be a series staple that constantly comes to make weird double entendres and be goofy in general.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, I'm fine with him being an occasional thing. It's like Gilgamesh, he's great, but I wouldn't want him in every game.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I was talking with my friend about Amano's artwork, and the disparity between his art and characters' spritework came up. When it comes to characters like Lenna/Faris/Terra, do people prefer the blondes of Amano, or the more varied hair colors of the sprites?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Varied Haircolours.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gimme vivid anime hair, imo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've never really liked Amano artwork, so I'm biased as hell and extremely pro sprites.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Sprite Galuf has a sweet beard.

Amano Galuf has no beard.

Pretty obvious who the winner is.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Amano Faris is rad as hell.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don’t like that fan art of Faris is always very feminine

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Terra with blond hair is a travesty.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Sprite Galuf has a sweet beard.

Amano Galuf has no beard.

Pretty obvious who the winner is.

Yeah, there's the objective measure that Amano wins.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other hand, Amano Sabin is shirtless, so that is a point in his favour.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

jokes posted:

To be fair, 90% of the men that Amano draws are very feminine too.

Lotus Aura posted:

Yeah, there's the objective measure that Amano wins.

Galuf without a beard is a crime. Galuf is a true hero, and as such, deserves a glorious beard, much like Guan Yu, or even Cid from FFIV.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

God drat, espers really don't gently caress around in FFXII Struggle for Freedom

I'm even playing on the "easier" version of the mod (the 12-jobs version lets your characters have more HP than they would if you went for the character-specific Struggle/Freedom boards) and I still almost got my rear end beat by Adrammelech at an even level with him. In base TZA I'm used to taking that idiot out at like half his level but he's a real bastard in SFF.

Honestly it kinda rules having to switch up gambits on the fly and be constantly improvising in FFXII of all games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Twelve by Pies posted:

To be fair, 90% of the men that Amano draws are very feminine too.

Hell yeah brother, it’s like everyone is a sad ghost

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Draga posted:

Amano Faris is rad as hell.

This is a great point, the Amano Faris with the black overcoat is rad as gently caress, and I'm with you on that one.

I think I prefer pink bob-cut Lenna to Amano!Lenna, but I'm even on the Galuf designs. The old man beard is respectable, but the flattop/moustache combo Amano gave Galuf is kind of baller in its own right.

And yeah, green hair Terra just feels better to me, especially with her red and pink outfit, I appreciate having that cooler color in her palette. If I had to argue for blonde Terra though, I think there'd be something cute in having her match Celes in phenotype as well as thematics.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Green hair terra is a solid choice because she’s a loving weirdo. I wish her in-game esper form Sprite looked more like the Amano artwork though, shits gnarly

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

WTF

She's a woman

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

WTF

She's a woman

Yes and her whole deal is "I got taken in by pirates and I didn't want to be the only woman on a pirate ship so I had to pretend I was a dude." It would then be a little weird for her to look really feminine.

Then again it kind of seems like at least some of the pirates already know she's a woman (or at least are questioning their sexuality) so who knows.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Basically the pirates suspect Faris is a woman, and accept her as their leader because they respect her fighting ability

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Faris' whole thing was that she was so pretty that even cross-dressing as a man her general appearance would be what we consider in modern times to be an androgynous bishie guy

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Blue Labrador posted:

I was talking with my friend about Amano's artwork, and the disparity between his art and characters' spritework came up. When it comes to characters like Lenna/Faris/Terra, do people prefer the blondes of Amano, or the more varied hair colors of the sprites?

It all came down to making sure you could identify who each sprite was on screen.

FF5 was a case of being impossible to show Lenna and Faris as designed using the 2x2 format of the field sprites in the original release. The original rough sketches of the Chibi models were closer to the Amano art, but they kept changing to match design limitations.

From FFV Ultimania:

Blonde Sprite Terra was a thing, until they started playtesting. Easily confused with Celes. They tried going with the short hair Amano art first (pretty Tidus/Vaan-like), then decided on the original sprite with green hair.

Some pics from FFVI Ultimania:

Edit: Closer view.

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 23, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Short haired blonde Terra is pretty cool actually

I like green haired Terra more though because she’s supposed to be hosed up and weird and alien because she is hosed, weird, and alien

FF6 WHEN

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Huh, I'd never really thought about it before, but FF as a series is usually pretty good about sticking to fairly realistic hair colors for its human characters, isn't it?

Also almost all of the exceptions are pink/purple haired women. :v:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Huh, I'd never really thought about it before, but FF as a series is usually pretty good about sticking to fairly realistic hair colors for its human characters, isn't it?

Also almost all of the exceptions are pink/purple haired women. :v:

I've seen far too many white-haired 20 year olds in this series to think that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Short haired blonde Terra is pretty cool actually

I like green haired Terra more though because she’s supposed to be hosed up and weird and alien because she is hosed, weird, and alien

FF6 WHEN

Yeah her hair color is supposed to be a hint to the player that she's not quite fully human. Every other main cast member has hair that is a natural color for humans.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This was reported on before but oh god please be real
https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1463168424331431949?t=GpRmjPCO-jjMeDDpL-V8Eg&s=19

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
They've managed to introduce even more playable characters, but they've had to reduce party size to two, and remove the accent generator so everyone has exactly the same lines.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hated playing as Lynx last time and I’ll hate playing as Lynx this time

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah her hair color is supposed to be a hint to the player that she's not quite fully human. Every other main cast member has hair that is a natural color for humans.

I mean, Gau has green hair.

I guess he's a beast kid thing though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Take all my money

Finally, SE is remaking one of their good games

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 23, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

PneumonicBook posted:

Also her name is Tina. QED: alien.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I hate the rumor mill but god drat please give me a CC remake.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PneumonicBook posted:

Gau is literally Beast Boy :aaa:

Gau getting named Gar when I play FF6PR.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Guess we won't know if this is a remake or remaster.

The only thing I do know is that if they do any sort of remix with the music I will be eternally angry.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'll accept this just to hear more variations of Chross music. It'll be worth it then even if it's still kinda annoying to actually play. Maybe they can do some good upscaling and get the backgrounds even prettier? I doubt they have the originals anymore

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cardboard Fox posted:

Guess we won't know if this is a remake or remaster.

The only thing I do know is that if they do any sort of remix with the music I will be eternally angry.

My guess would be if it exists it's an FF8-style remaster rather than an FF7R thing

Everybody go out and buy it day one so we can then get CTPR

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Professor Beetus posted:

Gau is literally Beast Boy :aaa:

Gau getting named Gar when I play FF6PR.

GauGaiGar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

Finally, SE is remaking one of their good games

How dare you

I’m gonna knock you down