Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's 99% likely that the show which has previously had more than a little ad placement, is just doing a bit for DJI.
Since you can see the DJI logo clearly whilst Harrison says "it's really cool!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny, people said the first or first two episodes were boring but I found this one more boring.

Seems so stupid to me to go through all that captivity and poo poo with the girl just to let her run 10 feet and shoot her in the back. He even uses the god drat laser, it clearly ain't about the sport. I think the billionaire is as he seems and is just smoke and mirrors, though it would be interesting if they could pull off anything other than the obvious kurt being the killer angle. Especially seeing CB was already described as "this seasons villain" when cast. Gonna be something stupid to describe the alleged facetime call, but we all knew that. Almost unbelievably though to this point, theres potential there for something good.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

codo27 posted:

Its funny, people said the first or first two episodes were boring but I found this one more boring.

Seems so stupid to me to go through all that captivity and poo poo with the girl just to let her run 10 feet and shoot her in the back. He even uses the god drat laser, it clearly ain't about the sport. I think the billionaire is as he seems and is just smoke and mirrors, though it would be interesting if they could pull off anything other than the obvious kurt being the killer angle. Especially seeing CB was already described as "this seasons villain" when cast. Gonna be something stupid to describe the alleged facetime call, but we all knew that. Almost unbelievably though to this point, theres potential there for something good.

For me, I had stopped watching the original series for multiple reasons but Dexter becoming Demi godlike in his ability to make people disappear to the point where there was no tension was a major one. Dexter running through the woods to throw off the scent is the kind of dark comedy that made the show initially entertaining.

As far as letting the person go and shooting them. That’s easily explained as a form of torture. Lots of real life examples of twisted people toying with others for their own amusement.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

codo27 posted:

What if it's both theories, Dexter only imagined killing that guy AND it turns out that guy is the serial killer who Dexter ends up killing anyway.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Pretty sure the reason behind the facetime call is he is lying about his son being alive because he wants to call off the search before they stumble upon his hunting grounds. He was bothered by how far out the search was getting and asked if they were covering the summer camp, so it's probably around there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress, you got it. Its exactly that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Little weird though considering that he's the one who forced them to continue the search in the first place when they were prepared to abandon it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Probably thought they were actually going to find his kid sooner.

It's just when the search area got bigger and bigger that he got concerned.

Would rather let his kid die than get caught. Which is probably going to be a theme this season as Dexter does the opposite.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, he wants his son back, just not enough to risk getting caught as a low-rent most dangerous game hunter. That's only human.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Yeah I assumed that was the way it would end up going as well, he might as well have said "gulp" at the end of that sentence with the Sheriff.

The awkward interaction on the highway makes me consider that the billionaire might be in on it too. There's also the shot where the hunter puts on his gloves, then the person pressing the button to open the door is without gloves. I'm assuming that's just a filming mistake though.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

ghostwritingduck posted:

For me, I had stopped watching the original series for multiple reasons but Dexter becoming Demi godlike in his ability to make people disappear to the point where there was no tension was a major one. Dexter running through the woods to throw off the scent is the kind of dark comedy that made the show initially entertaining.

As far as letting the person go and shooting them. That’s easily explained as a form of torture. Lots of real life examples of twisted people toying with others for their own amusement.

Yeah this is basically what that RL-serial killer did in Alaska, he didnt exactly give them a "sporting chance" when he let them run in the wilderness surrounding his cabin to hunt them after being held captive and flown out there, it was just another way to cruelly and brutally demean them with his favorite hobby.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

asciidic posted:

Pretty sure the reason behind the facetime call is he is lying about his son being alive because he wants to call off the search before they stumble upon his hunting grounds. He was bothered by how far out the search was getting and asked if they were covering the summer camp, so it's probably around there.

Yeah, I was coming here to post this. He seemed disturbed by how close they were coming to the camp, then suddenly, it's a miracle, my son just called me! In fact, he FaceTimed me! So he's 100% alive! No need to keep searching everyone! Definitely stay away from the campgrounds!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I really hope someone has a trail cam of Dexter doing his little vest dance in the woods and they bring it up in the trial.

As for the second thing, wtf? Seriously, who kills anyone or tortures anyone and lol at how lame it makes you look. Most killers never turn themselves in because they are so embarrassed. It takes a massive fucknig loser to kill someone and any kind of flair or fetish you put into it is cringe that makes you look like a tryhard freak not worthy of respect. Dexter is an absolute zero of course, but at least he has a TV show, most of the killers we see are other duds doing unimpressive bullshit for no audience.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

I really hope someone has a trail cam of Dexter doing his little vest dance in the woods and they bring it up in the trial.

As for the second thing, wtf? Seriously, who kills anyone or tortures anyone and lol at how lame it makes you look. Most killers never turn themselves in because they are so embarrassed. It takes a massive fucknig loser to kill someone and any kind of flair or fetish you put into it is cringe that makes you look like a tryhard freak not worthy of respect. Dexter is an absolute zero of course, but at least he has a TV show, most of the killers we see are other duds doing unimpressive bullshit for no audience.

Interesting take, that serial killers are, like, total lame-os, dude. What losers that deserve wedgies.

Yes, serial killers are hosed up people.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

DaveKap posted:

You're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say. There are shows that sorta ignore what's going on in the real world and do their own thing and there are shows (Dexter) that bring out whatever pop-culture poo poo they can for no reason other than to seem more real and modern but it always feels incredibly shoehorned in. It's absolutely a vibe thread that Dexter specifically tugs on. Catfishing and drones definitely lead the way toward deep fakes.

Don't forget podcasting!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Saying Chad is alive and fine would just bring up the question of "ok, where is he? He killed that white buck, he committed a crime." I don't think "I don't care if he committed crimes, he's alive, get over it" is going to cut it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Saying Chad is alive and fine would just bring up the question of "ok, where is he? He killed that white buck, he committed a crime." I don't think "I don't care if he committed crimes, he's alive, get over it" is going to cut it.

But on the other hand, he's rich and white. Also the penalty is just a couple thousand dollar fine.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

The rest of the season will be Clancy looking for ways to prove his son is still alive. First he'll try to fake a phone call saying "everything is fine, stop looking for me". But when that isn't enough and people start asking more questions, he'll bring out the deepfake. But then the chief will insist that they need to physically process him for his crimes, so he'll have dickface undergo a series of cosmetic surgeries so he can look like his son and do some community service. Meanwhile Dexter gets more and more deranged, trying to prove Matt is actually dead, culminating with him shouting at dickface "YOU'RE NOT MATT! I KILLED YOU! YOU'RE DEAD!".

Edit: "Harrison" will then pull off his flesh-mask and reveal... it's actually been Doakes the entire time! "Surprise motherfucker!", he'll say, "it's been a long con all along!".

itry fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 23, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It was Doakes who taught Harrison how to do the force choke on that kid. All part of his long term plans for revenge.

His full name is Foster Doakes and that's why Harrison keeps saying he was in a Foster home.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was out the other night, drinking, I forget the context now but I thought about the "I'll walk through you" line and just burst out laughing. Why are toxic hard asses always the best tv characters

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i was pleasantly surprised by the apparent competence of the Dexter writers by getting ahead of the inevitable 'Fargo' knockoff accusations and making a dec joke out of it. faith tentatively restored

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

itry posted:

The rest of the season will be Clancy looking for ways to prove his son is still alive. First he'll try to fake a phone call saying "everything is fine, stop looking for me". But when that isn't enough and people start asking more questions, he'll bring out the deepfake. But then the chief will insist that they need to physically process him for his crimes, so he'll have dickface undergo a series of cosmetic surgeries so he can look like his son and do some community service. Meanwhile Dexter gets more and more deranged, trying to prove Matt is actually dead, culminating with him shouting at dickface "YOU'RE NOT MATT! I KILLED YOU! YOU'RE DEAD!".

Edit: "Harrison" will then pull off his flesh-mask and reveal... it's actually been Doakes the entire time! "Surprise motherfucker!", he'll say, "it's been a long con all along!".

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It was Doakes who taught Harrison how to do the force choke on that kid. All part of his long term plans for revenge.

His full name is Foster Doakes and that's why Harrison keeps saying he was in a Foster home.

I've missed the Dexter thread so much.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In the next couple days, Dexter will happen to pass the incinerator on his way about town, only to spy a weirdo in a labcoat rootin around in there.

"African American male... can't get a perfect ID with what remains, but it looks like Doakes was the White Buck Butcher."

Masuka turns to Dexter and grins. "Surprise, motherfucker," he says cordially, but Dexter is not becalmed.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

White Buck Butcher

:hmmyes:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

asciidic posted:

This is the greatest thing Dexter as given us in nine seasons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This show is good if only because it allows us to come up with these stupid fan theories. Just like the old days.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's gonna be the simplest explanation: he was drunk

Dexter!

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
So how many episodes until the podcaster recognizes ol Dex and tells him that she's turned on by the Bay Harbor Butcher and we get those great internal monologues of Dexter wondering if he's found someone he can actually trust?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
All the scenes with the teenagers are like a TV adaptation of Life is Strange.

That cop interviewing Dexter at the station was channeling Doakes.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

TheIndividual posted:

So how many episodes until the podcaster recognizes ol Dex and tells him that she's turned on by the Bay Harbor Butcher and we get those great internal monologues of Dexter wondering if he's found someone he can actually trust?

Oh god she's going to try and out him as a crime scene tech from Miami and then she'll be a murderer in her own right and Dexter will have to kill her; justifiably of course.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not until after they've dated for 3 episodes

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Not until after they've dated for 3 episodes

I think she'll date the cop she approached and he'll offer to show her some moves on the mat, or Harrison with the infinite wisdom he gained from Argentina will attract her. Her crime could be snatching a baby from a cradle.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

With this talk of enjoying the show because we all missed how fun this thread was, I guess I'll bring up a couple of quotes from Michael C Hall.

From February:

quote:

When he was asked whether the upcoming 10-episode series would definitely be the show’s last, he added: “I’m reluctant to say ‘definitely’, you know? Let’s see. What’s plain now is that there’s 10 new episodes.”

From 5 days ago:

quote:

When asked if he would like to spend more time in Dexter's shoes moving into the future? "Maybe."

The showrunner at Comic-Con said:

quote:

The ending of this one will be stunning, shocking, surprising, unexpected. And without jinxing anything, I will say that the ending of this new season that we’re doing will blow up the internet.

Keep in mind that all the marketing calls this a "limited series" so I think the Internet really does have to blow up to get another season after this one. As long as Dexter doesn't do anything he can't come back from, like cut into a million pieces or shot into space, that Season 10 possibility exists.

That said I'm happy someone made that Deb wood chipper gif so I didn't have to. :)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Blow up the internet, huh? Bold prediction.

TheIndividual posted:

HppyCmpr posted:

Oh god she's going to try and out him as a crime scene tech from Miami and then she'll be a murderer in her own right and Dexter will have to kill her; justifiably of course.

Godammit. I can see it happening.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
New Blood will have a definitive conclusion and then do stories about the years leading up to this where Dexter just doesn't do anything too interesting and writes letters to Hannah.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I also just wanna say I feel good about the fact that we're all breezing by the "Hannah died from Cancer" thing that made everyone flip out before episode 2. We can make fun of this show and all the bad parts of it but there's still enough good in it that we're actually being warmly positive about it instead of overtly hateful. Thread's kinda comfy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ghostwritingduck posted:

It's mirroring Dexter himself.

He likes his victims to know what's coming and revels in that, but there's no sport in it. He always prefers them strapped down, no fight or chance of escape.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

It's mirroring Dexter himself.

He likes his victims to know what's coming and revels in that, but there's no sport in it. He always prefers them strapped down, no fight or chance of escape.

I'm starting to suspect Dexter may be a bad person.

Edit: He does make them think they may get out of there if they just confess. So in that sense it's very much like letting that girl run around for a bit.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 24, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Back when he actually cared about the ritual, he'd decorate the kill room with pictures of the target's victims and related paraphernalia. It was never supposed to be pretend sport, it was supposed to be pretend justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: whoops, I think this is the first post to post live impressions unspoilered. I've spoilered them, and also beware of the thread from here on if you haven't seen the first ep.

Episode highlights:
-Dexter learning all the Dark poo poo from a dude doing coke while listening to the sound of his next victim railing coke dude's girlfriend.
-The actual kill scene. Someone posted upthread that the highlight of Dexter was in the very first episode where he's screaming "LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" at the diddlin priest, and it feels like someone on the writing staff actually noticed that Dexter being unhinged is important.

I mean the show's not gonna be good, and I can't wait for Dexter to allow a teenager to move into his cabin while serial killing the rear end in a top hat of the week in the shed right outside, and avoid getting caught in a series of escalating unbelievable close shaves.

So theories for the rest of the season? I'm gonna guess the disappearing girls will culminate in someone finding the body of the girl from the bar, and the police force will have to mobilize to catch the "transient killer" who's going to turn out to be... I'm betting Dexter's gun shop boss.

This post makes me wish they'd bring in Øyvind Thorsby as a writer.