Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tsob posted:

The internet is gonna have fun with that one. I'm just glad I don't use social media or anything, because it'd probably be a poo poo show of dumb opinions. As is, I'll probably have to ignore bits of my YouTube feed for a few weeks as it makes suggestions for poo poo that I don't care about.

The more people get dumbfuck mad about this show, the more my adulation for it grows. I dunno, there’s something inherently funny about the prospect of girls being in a He-Man cartoon legitimately driving a non-zero amount of people towards having strokes because they’re that fragile and toxic.

Anyway, I that follow-up season happens because I really like this show’s take on Eternia and all the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, again, I have to admit the five-year-old me who watched the OG She-Ra after coming home from kindergarten in 1985 was all :hmmno: and :staredog: about Noelle's rendition, but it won me over.

Being the little poo poo that I was, I remember being ticked off on January 28, 1986 because the all-day/all-night coverage of the Challenger accident pre-empted She-Ra and really had made school that day a real downer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Being the little poo poo that I was, I remember being ticked off on January 28, 1986 because the all-day/all-night coverage of the Challenger accident pre-empted She-Ra and really had made school that day a real downer.

If it helps, I was home sick that day so it was both 'lie on the couch, feel miserable, watch those poor people on the rocket blow up AND not even get cartoons' because you have your priorities in order when you're like 6.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps, I was home sick that day so it was both 'lie on the couch, feel miserable, watch those poor people on the rocket blow up AND not even get cartoons' because you have your priorities in order when you're like 6.

I was home sick that day too but I don't honestly remember if I was sick or was playing sick to get out of school.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Also according to Gamespot’s review. Skeletor and Evil-Lyn basically gently caress at one point (I’m not kidding). That’s…something alright.

Can they really show that in a children's TV show!?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vietnamwees posted:

Can they really show that in a children's TV show!?

When it was announced it was mentioned that Revelation was aimed at a slightly older audience (though all that amounted to in the first half was some very minor swearing and blood).

As for this particular instance, I’m guessing it’s more of an implied thing if anything (like a shot of them in bed together or something).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

When it was announced it was mentioned that Revelation was aimed at a slightly older audience (though all that amounted to in the first half was some very minor swearing and blood).

As for this particular instance, I’m guessing it’s more of an implied thing if anything (like a shot of them in bed together or something).

From the sound of it from reading the Gamespot review it starts with some kissing and has a strong air of "yeah, this is actually gross, you feel bad about this" and then they just go off into another room and the scene cuts away. It's another notch in the belt of "Evil-Lyn slowly realizes that Skeletor is a toxic piece of poo poo and she's pining away for someone who's awful for her" that the show's been slowly crafting.

From the way the reviews are wording things, it almost seems like Lyn actually becomes the Big Bad of the show, picking up from her rant in Episode 3 about how Skeletor was holding her back from realizing her potential as a villain with his bumbling self-centered stupidity. From the sound of it, we might actually even maybe see He-Man and Skeletor have to team up to stop HER from destroying everything in Part 2, just like how her and Teela had to team up to save everything in Part 1.

Also I bet the way they're gonna set up Season 2/a continuation movie is ending it with Hordak showing up. I'm calling it here.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

And by "slightly older audience," they mean the original audience, however old they've gotten now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind, turns out most of this was fake

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 23, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I bet the way they're gonna set up Season 2/a continuation movie is ending it with Hordak showing up. I'm calling it here.

With Adam getting injured and loosing his sword but magic coming you would figure that the first thing anyone would do is hop in a portal and get Adora.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 23, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

side_burned posted:

with Adam getting injured and loosing his sword but magic coming back that first you would figure that the first thing anyone would do is hop in a portal and get Adora.

Revelation seems to be She-Ra agnostic at this point, in about as much as Reboot She-Ra was to He-Man. Bringing in Adora (right now anyway) kind of derails both Adam and Teela’s arcs for this thing, but if that follow up series gets made, who knows?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
If Hordak shows up at any point the option to bring Adora/She-Ra into the mix is right there.

Now, if they make the Revelations versions look reminiscent of the "Future Lives" versions of the characters glimpsed in the Netflix She-Ra series and they come into things like the versions of the characters they were there (and survive) it would be a pretty neat thumb in the eye of the people that hate both shows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, a few spoilers have come out regarding Part 2:

Marlena and Randor's marriage didn't survive the loss of Adam.

Teela is indeed gay, but she does not get with Andra or Adam, instead it's implied Evil-Lyn has a crush on her, and hints at a love story that'll blossom between both the Sorceresses of Grayskull in season two.

Evil-Lyn has a love scene with Skeletor, as previously stated, but it's just pity sex.

The final battle is a total anti-climax.

Despite Teela not being his endgame, Adam does have a love interest, it's Illena.

The ending hints to the arrival of Hordak. It's not clear from the source if he does show up, it might just be a reference

Skeletor's daughter from the comics is set up as potentially appearing

Well:

First one’s true, but they get better.

Teela is 100% straight for Adam, though she does get a cute bridal carry moment with Lyn at the end of the show—purely platonically.

The “sex” scene is all a con, but it does go uncomfortably too far.

The final battle is NOT anti-climactic in the slightest.

Illena does not appear in the show at all and like I said, Teela has a huge lady boner for Adam.

Hordak comin’

Nothing from the comics about Skeletor appears in the show other than it shows him as a Horde agent once in flashback briefly.

Part 2 good, bring me Part 3 now, Netflix.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, a few spoilers have come out regarding Part 2:

Marlena and Randor's marriage didn't survive the loss of Adam.

Teela is indeed gay, but she does not get with Andra or Adam, instead it's implied Evil-Lyn has a crush on her, and hints at a love story that'll blossom between both the Sorceresses of Grayskull in season two.

Evil-Lyn has a love scene with Skeletor, as previously stated, but it's just pity sex.

The final battle is a total anti-climax.

Despite Teela not being his endgame, Adam does have a love interest, it's Illena.

The ending hints to the arrival of Hordak. It's not clear from the source if he does show up, it might just be a reference

Skeletor's daughter from the comics is set up as potentially appearing

Having just binged the episodes, I don't know where you got this information, but I count one accurate statement, one subjective opinion, and one claimed Easter egg I wouldn't have picked up on; awarding full marks for the accurate statement and half a point each for the unfalsifiable opinion and unconfirmed Easter egg, this post scores 2/7. Confirmation of the Easter egg could bump that up to 2.5.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anshu posted:

Having just binged the episodes, I don't know where you got this information, but I count one accurate statement, one subjective opinion, and one claimed Easter egg I wouldn't have picked up on; awarding full marks for the accurate statement and half a point each for the unfalsifiable opinion and unconfirmed Easter egg, this post scores 2/7. Confirmation of the Easter egg could bump that up to 2.5.

Yeah, whoever came up with those “spoilers” either radically misinterpreted a bunch of really basic facts, or just flat out made poo poo up for some reason. Literally the only bullet points that are true are Adam’s death wrecking Randor and Marlena’s marriage, and Hordak/the Horde being teased at the end of the show.

Anyway the new status quo if they make a part 3 or sequel series is gonna be interesting, Adam as Champion, Teela is Sorceress, Andra as Man-At-Arms, Orko as a supreme badass, and Lyn as wild card. I’m laughing my rear end off though at how hilariously Clam-Champ and Fisto got done dirty, poor Thought Slime is going to be inconsolable when they learn what happened to Clamp-Champ. Also Beast-Man too. Beast-Man got done supremely legitimately dirty and I was not cool with it at all after the work they put in on him. That’s the only issue I have with Part 2, though maybe Part 3 or whatever comes next will expand on that a bit.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It released on a Tuesday? Weird. Will have to watch it later.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, whoever came up with those “spoilers” either radically misinterpreted a bunch of really basic facts, or just flat out made poo poo up for some reason. Literally the only bullet points that are true are Adam’s death wrecking Randor and Marlena’s marriage.

I wasn't counting that one, because my read was that while their marriage was damaged/strained and likely on the way to totally breaking down, Adam's return and reunion gave Randor and Marlena enough emotional breathing room to salvage things.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

nine-gear crow posted:

Teela is 100% straight for Adam.

They're certainly flirting with each other at the end, but it's bold of you to assume a woman is 100% straight just because they're currently expressing interest in a guy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jassa posted:

They're certainly flirting with each other at the end, but it's bold of you to assume a woman is 100% straight just because they're currently expressing interest in a guy.

I said Teela is 100% straight for Adam, I never said she was 100% straight. :eng101:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

nine-gear crow posted:

I said Teela is 100% straight for Adam, I never said she was 100% straight. :eng101:

I fail to see how that distinction makes any difference to my underlying point, but okay sure. :eng101:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anshu posted:

Yeah, I got it from another forum (and it came from 4chan originally) and most of it has now been proven false. Nevermind

Anyway, Part 2 was decent and I’m looking forward to more. On another note, has there been any word as to when Season 2 of the CGI series is coming yet?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 23, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I got it from another forum (and it came from 4chan originally) and most of it has now been proven false. Nevermind

Not shocking, given several bits seem designed to enrage some people online. I like /m/ personally, having been going there regularly for a decade or more (and irregularly for another half decade prior), but I wouldn't take anything it says without proof seriously regardless.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tsob posted:

Not shocking, given several bits seem designed to enrage some people online. I like /m/ personally, having been going there regularly for a decade or more (and irregularly for another half decade prior), but I wouldn't take anything it says without proof seriously regardless.

Yeah 4chan’s been in the game of spinning fake leaks and spoilers designed specifically to honeytrap outrage addicted chuds for a LONG time now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, nice to see that Hordak’s coming back at least (though due to licensing issues whether any She-Ra content will show up with him is kind of a crapshoot at this point)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Anyway, nice to see that Hordak’s coming back at least (though due to licensing issues whether any She-Ra content will show up with him is kind of a crapshoot at this point)

Smith noted in one of his podcasts last year that they had no intention of doing a crossover, and that he at least wanted to let She-Ra finish out it's run before even thinking about it. It is finished now, so maybe they'd be rethinking it for a second season, assuming he's even asked to make one, but there was no real intention of it a year or more ago.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

Smith noted in one of his podcasts last year that they had no intention of doing a crossover, and that he at least wanted to let She-Ra finish out it's run before even thinking about it. It is finished now, so maybe they'd be rethinking it for a second season, assuming he's even asked to make one, but there was no real intention of it a year or more ago.

Wait, how long has Revelation been in the planning stages? Because last I checked the last She-Ra adaption ended in 2018 or 2019. Also considering this show is a pseudo sequel to the 80’s series I imagine any She-Ra characters that show up would be their OG versions (though there’s a very slim chance we might get an SPoP nod or two in the CG series).

There was a rumor that Dreamworks was thinking about doing a live action She-Ra series (possibly a remake/reboot of SPoP which would be weird since the show isn’t that old) a while back but I’m not sure if it’s going to pan out or not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Wait, how long has Revelation been in the planning stages? Because last I checked the last She-Ra adaption ended in 2018 or 2019. Also considering this show is a pseudo sequel to the 80’s series I imagine any She-Ra characters that show up would be their OG versions (though there’s a very slim chance we might get an SPoP nod or two in the CG series).

There was a rumor that Dreamworks was thinking about doing a live action She-Ra series (possibly a remake/reboot of SPoP which would be weird since the show isn’t that old) a while back but I’m not sure if it’s going to pan out or not.

They were talking about it on the podcast since 2019, looking back through my posts on it. The original post I made mentioning that is from 2019, and I assume She-Ra still had at least one season left to run then.

tsob posted:

Kevin Smith uploaded a new episode of "Fatman Beyond" where he and Marc talk with the rest of the writers for "Masters of the Universe: Revelations" about the new project for a while, if anyone cares. You can view the discussion on YouTube, starting about 7 minutes in and lasting about 34 minutes, until just after the 41 minute mark. There's not a lot of actual content discussion, given how recently it was announced, and is more going in to how each of them got the job, vague overviews of how they see the show, what the writing process is so far, what Smith doesn't want it to be (i.e. he doesn't want it to become his usual thing and have characters selling weed in Eternia despite how fun that sounds to one of the writers) and so on, but if you are curious, it's there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfbui8Pag0Q&t=425s

If you don't care about Smith and/or his He-Man at all though, they do briefly talk about She-Ra during it, and I webm'd that bit, since it's pretty short (1 minute 44 seconds to be exact; and some of that is jokes).

https://webm.red/3Tzx

All they really say is that there's no discussion by anyone at the moment regarding trying to connect the two shows together in any way, and that if it's going to happen, it wouldn't happen until they've done at least one season and figured out what kind of show they are and how things are proceeding. It sounds like they think She-Ra should be allowed to run through at least it's original planned seasons before tackling it too. Other than that, one of the other writers, Diya Mishrya, who worked on a "Magic the Gathering" show for Netflix that hasn't released yet, said she thinks that She-Ra's opening song is amazing. Or rather, that "it fucks", and that she listened to it a lot while writing the second episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neat, never knew that.

Though then again, I only first got into this franchise last year and have now seen everything except the 80’s originals, New Adventures, and the live action movie. Do those still hold up that well (I remember seeing part of an episode of the former as a kid and not caring for it much)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 23, 2021

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Neat, never knew that.

Though then again, I only first got into this franchise last year and have now seen everything except the 80’s originals, New Adventures, and the live action movie. Do those still hold up that well (I remember seeing part of an episode of the former as a kid and not caring for it much)?

Without nostalgia goggles watching the originals mite be kind of of rough. I am not saying there isn't anything to enjoy but they are fundamentally half hour toy commercials. Funimation production where famously cheap and looking for the clever animation and how a core cast of like 6 voice actors can do a cast of thousands is intresting. Actually, the craft of the voice actors is honestly impressive in that each of the core actors is had to do several characters in both the core cast and what ever action figure was being hocked that week; a good example is Alan Oppenheimer who was not only Skelator but also Man at Arms, and Cringer/Battle Cat plus bunch of minor characters like Mossman.

If you want recommendation of episodes: Diamond Ray of Disappearance (this was the pilot), The Problem with Power (general considered the single best episode), Teelas Quest, Teela's Triumph and Origin of the Sorceress (exactly what is says on the tin and written by J. Michael Straczynski). Thinking about those would also be the most important episodes for Masters of the Universe: Revelation.

If you want She-Ra watch The Secret of the Sword .

The live action film was a Cannon films production and mostly takes place in a New Jersey Suburb; Its only saving grace is Frank Langella's performance as Skelator. It is proper fodder for a bad movie night party with friends.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks. I’m aware that New Adventures arguably changed things up more than SPoP did but would you say it’s worth a watch otherwise?

Also watching the original She-Ra opening Adora’s voice sounds kind of weird to me (her actress sounds half asleep and for some reason elongates certain words), is she like that in the actual show as well? Also, any episode recommendations for that series?

At the very least I like that the remakes made Adam a little scrawnier in his normal state as opposed to the original where he’s a beefcake in both forms.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Larryb posted:

Thanks. I’m aware that New Adventures arguably changed things up more than SPoP did but would you say it’s worth a watch otherwise?

I honestly don't remember enough of New Adventures of He-Man to say one way or another.

Larryb posted:

At the very least I like that the remakes made Adam a little scrawnier in his normal state as opposed to the original where he’s a beefcake in both forms.

Film,ation had just finished a Captain Marvel series before doing He-Man and the original idea was to have Adam basically be a blond Billy Batson, which exactly what the CGI series is doing, that idea got scrapped to save money. :v:

side_burned fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 23, 2021

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
And don't forget 80's Swift Wind's demon voice.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

maltesh posted:

And don't forget 80's Swift Wind's demon voice.

Were there any decent voices in the OG She-Ra out of curiosity (not counting the returning He-Man characters that is)?

SPoP has its own problems but overall it just seems like the better show out of the two.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 23, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Filmation. Sorry.

Anyway, three episodes in so far and liking it a lot. It's all a bit speechy, but that may be Kevin Smith's influence, the man's a talker. :)

EDIT: I kept wondering why Marlena has such a whiny high-pitched not-sounding-like-an-old-lady-at-all voice. Turns out for whatever reason, Alicia Silverstone is doing her voice.
EDIT Episode 4: loving hell, they couldn't resist having her drop an "As if" in there.

Done with all five now. Uneven, but enjoyable. Teela is still a bit too self-righteous and "my way or the highway" for me as a character.

Someone needs to (and probably will) make a video about all the movies that were ripped off referenced in the show. Cringer's final move was straight out of The Lion King, and technically Orko the White is ripping off a book as well as a movie, and I spotted dozens more, but my memory isn't the best at the moment.

Loved the music. Man-at-Arms' theme is still playing in my head. Duun de duun, duun de duun, duun duun dee deee...

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 23, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I do appreciate that Duncan's theme is basically "Man-At-Arms, MAAAAN-At-Arms, he's so bad-rear end!" :allears:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dave Syndrome posted:

Someone needs to (and probably will) make a video about all the movies that were ripped off referenced in the show. Cringer's final move was straight out of The Lion King, and technically Orko the White is ripping off a book as well as a movie, and I spotted dozens more, but my memory isn't the best at the moment.

Several days after the first part dropped Smith uploaded several videos to his personal channel where he talked to the writer of each episode (just chatting away on his own for the one he did) about the episode, as a kind of commentary that you could sync up to the episode of the show on Netflix in another window/tab. I assume he'll do another set for this part, though he hasn't done a podcast in a week or two to mention it. If he does, then there's a good chance he'll mention a lot of the films himself. I made a post with all the interesting tidbits he mentioned during those commentaries after watching them last time, since I know not everyone is going to be a fan of his style or want to listen to him and I'll probably do the same this weekend or next if he uploads more episode commentaries.

Edit: Just finished it, and don't have much to add beyond that God-Lyn was, unsurprisingly I suppose, super ripped and had a pretty cool look but her final look is the best she's ever looked. Her hair and outfit look great, and she actually looks unreservedly happy for once. Hopefully she's moved on from and beyond Skeletor now, because the show really put in some work on her and it'd be nice to see it pay off and move her in a good direction on her own if there is any follow up. Maybe she can even save Beast-Man, since he still had The Power when he fell down that chasm, so he probably survived? Techo-Skeletor should be fun too; especially if he's being forced to work for Hordak.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 24, 2021

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

I do appreciate that Duncan's theme is basically "Man-At-Arms, MAAAAN-At-Arms, he's so bad-rear end!" :allears:

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kevin Smith was the head writer, of course he was going to make that joke.

That was...weird and I'm not sure I liked it, but let me just try and talk this out.

So leading up to the last episode the show goes to lengths to depict Skeletor and Evil-Lyn's relationship as abusive, which fair enough. But then when Lyn seizes power from Skeletor (hey, get that bag), decides to blow up the world because life is meaningless (we've all been there) and nukes heaven. He-Man decides the best way to fight her is to team up with her abuser? That felt sort of icky to me. But also I chafed at how apparently they were willing to say bygones on the whole nuked heaven thing, and let Lyn walk away like nothing happened after Teela punched the godliness out of her.

On the whole, the back half of the season felt like they were trying to cram ten episodes into five. There were so many breakneck reversals, and things that happened that then just went unremarked upon like is heaven still nuked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I decid d since he made it high as balls I was gonna' watch part 2 high as balls and holy gently caress this is one of my favorite shows now.