Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

As atmospheric pressure drops, so does the boiling point of a liquid. This is why it takes longer to make hard boiled eggs if you're way up in the mountains: the thinner air means the boiling water isn't quite as hot as it would be down at the elevations most people live, so it needs more time to do its thing to the eggs. Take that to an extreme, like a near vacuum, and water will boil at body temperature or even room temperature.

So if you should ever find yourself thrown out an airlock into the void, the last thing you're likely to feel is your saliva starting to boil -- it's not hot, in fact it's probably getting cold fast, but it won't actually freeze until after you're dead. (In space you kind of freeze and boil at the same time.) The water in your eyes, and then your blood, will start to do the same thing, but probably not until you've lost consciousness.

It doesn't sound like a pleasant way to go, but at least it's reasonably quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

You do lose consciousness/die quicker in a vacuum than from suffocation. In the latter case you still have oxygen already in your blood and lungs that takes a little bit of time to use up, but in a vacuum the oxygen will all leave your bloodstream

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I also have been making my way through season 2, it's getting a bit weird.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s02e04 - A Distant Star
  • I've really enjoyed Mira Furlan in this, and I'm glad that she's still around; I was worried that she might get replaced after Delenn's crysalis transformation.
  • I'm also really enjoying the set design this time around. The scale feels a lot bigger. There was a walk-and-talk scene early on in this episode between Sheridan and Maynard that showed it off
  • and speaking of Maynard - holy poo poo, it's Dr. Jacoby!
  • LOL'd at Ivanova complaining about her new food plan where she has to do things like eat an entire plate of pasta with milkshake.
  • I didn't really notice until now that the garden area has an artificial day/night cycle. I don't remember seeing it this bright before.
  • Sheridan is really growing on me as a character.

s02e05 - The Long Dark
  • Just reminding myself that the Centauri's were the first species that humans encountered and that the Centauri's gave them jump gate tech
  • "Oh god my husband's dead!" :gonk: / scene change / "Oh boy the future's great!" :haw:
  • :siren: incredibly inappropriate doctor/patient moment :siren:
  • Got some more interesting insights into the Shadows. So they looks like demons/devils, they can use invisibility (the creature was visible in Mariah's flashback, so I don't think that they're always like that), they eat people's organs without opening them up, and they're all amassing at Z'ah'dum.
  • I'm very curious about why the Shadows are becoming active now

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 22, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

discoukulele posted:

s02e03 - Geometry of Shadows
  • Poor Vir :\ (I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot)
  • First OJ moment! So Sheridan : Oranges :: Agent Cooper : Coffee

I just want to say I love this comparison. It's so good, and never occurred to me before.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

discoukulele posted:

s02e05 - The Long Dark
  • Got some more interesting insights into the Shadows. So they looks like demons/devils, they can use invisibility (the creature was visible in Mariah's flashback, so I don't think that they're always like that), they eat people's organs without opening them up, and they're all amassing at Z'ah'dum.

That wasn't a Shadow, it was one of their servants (they said this in the episode, you may have missed it)

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That wasn't a Shadow, it was one of their servants (they said this in the episode, you may have missed it)

Oh, thanks! Yeah, I missed that.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s02e06 - A Spider in the Web
  • I'd love to know more about Mars; I'm imagining that it's a little bit like The Expanse in that it's an Earth colony where everyone is several generations removed from having any real loyalty to Earth. It also sounds like it's economically disadvantaged.
  • It sounds like the first colony ship to Mars was about 100 years ago or so?
  • It's interesting to start seeing the way that Earth is putting Sheridan into some moral dilemmas (asking him to spy on the FutureTech/Mars discussions, etc)
  • I'm curious about the role of Psi Corps in the Earth/Mars relationship. I think it's interesting that Talia is sitting in on these FT/Mars talks as a Psi Corps representative while Earth is having to try to use Sheridan as a spy.
  • Why the gently caress did Talia's armed security let her go into that room by herself ugh
  • Very curious to learn more about Control / Bureau 13 / Project Lazarus

s02e07 - A Race Through Dark Places
  • It's our first time to see Mars! And Bester is there, being his evil self.
  • I'm loving this subplot of the underground railroad for Telepaths going through B5
  • Also love the reveal that Dr. Franklin has been in on it and that his free clinic from S1 was a front
  • I love the Talia fakeout in the climax. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this Telepath resistance group and learning more about what Talia is capable of after Ironheart's gift.
  • oh poo poo, the badge and gloves are off!

s02e08 - Soul Mates
  • I'm absolutely #TeamTimov
  • Oh hey, another Twin Peaks cameo! The Giant showed up as a shopkeeper.
  • I don't think I've ever noticed Garibaldi's Daffy Duck poster before (nice throwback to his Marvin the Martian moment with Delenn in S1)
  • We got some more insights into Psi Corps' experiments and their selective breeding practices

s02e09 - The Coming of Shadows
Okay, so, this episode was a big one, and the only note I actually took while watching it was "It's our first time to see Centauri Prime!" because things took off pretty quickly after that. And there's really not a whole lot to say about it - it was an absolutely masterful episode and a major escalation. poo poo's gettin real. The way the plot is starting to shape up feels a bit like GoT in that war is starting to break out among all of these factions when they should be uniting against the Real, Mysterious Enemy that's starting to gather its forces in the rim. I'm also really digging Londo's Shakespearean arc that he's established for himself; there's no going back now. I'm curious about how much longer he could possibly remain at B5

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 23, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Doctor’s name is Franklin.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

discoukulele posted:

• Very curious to learn more about Control / Bureau 13 / Project Lazarus

Bad news on this one - they canned that particular subplot due to there being an RPG of the same name, but the themes are revisited.

discoukulele posted:

s02e08 - Soul Mates
  • I'm absolutely #TeamTimov

Read it backwards

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

discoukulele posted:

• I'd love to know more about Mars; I'm imagining that it's a little bit like The Expanse in that it's an Earth colony where everyone is several generations removed from having any real loyalty to Earth. It also sounds like it's economically disadvantaged.
  • It sounds like the first colony ship to Mars was about 100 years ago or so?

That's something where I'm interested in how things would've gone with Sinclair. It's mentioned in passing, but Sinclair was born on Mars. Doesn't feel a huge amount of loyalty to it, compared to, like, Earth Alliance generally. But it would've been an interesting additional thread, as we learn more about Mars, to have someone from there in the main cast of characters.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Chevy Slyme posted:

The Doctor’s name is Franklin.

lmao woops, thanks!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Read it backwards

how on earth did i miss that lol

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Vavrek posted:

I'd heard all those details about spacing before, from Farscape and Babylon 5, and people saying "yeah that's about right". The only other details I remember are: your eyes might get hosed up, as lowering pressure drops the boiling point of water, and you shouldn't try to hold your breath because the 1 Atm. of pressure inside your lungs can rupture some tissues.

Yeah, that bit about not trying to hold your breath is the same as they teach in scuba classes, where a sudden ascent of a few meters can be enough to gently caress up your lungs if you try that.

Pretty sure that the main thing that will determine whether or not a spaced person can be rescued and revived is whether or not the brain has been without oxygen for longer than however many minutes it takes for irreversible brain damage to set in. And that stuff like desiccation of bodily liquids will take significantly longer than this, so the degree of such injuries sustained will mostly be of interest to accident/murder investigators, not so much to medical personnel. (Except maybe to figure out if organs can be usefully harvested for transplant, etc.)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

My favorite little detail about Soul Mates:
Mollari describes his wives as pestilence, famine and death, three of the for horsemen of the apocalypse. Naturally that means Londo is the the fourth horseman, War

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

McCloud posted:

My favorite little detail about Soul Mates:
Mollari describes his wives as pestilence, famine and death, three of the for horsemen of the apocalypse. Naturally that means Londo is the the fourth horseman, War

oh wow, that's fun, I didn't catch that

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s02e10 - Gropos
  • So, this time we met Dr. Franklin's dad
  • Akdar, part of the Sh'lassen Triumvirate, is in a civil war. Earth has been giving aid under the table. Earth is going to do a strike against the rebels, helping the Sh'lassen to retake Matok, a fortress. This would give Earth a presence in Sh'lassen space near the Centauri/Narth conflict. (I really like this plot - like I've said, I love this kind of political stuff).
  • "What the stroking H is going on here" :wtc:
  • Dodger is thirsty for Garibaldi
  • Oh my god, they're going to gently caress underneath his Daffy Duck poster
  • Excellent episode overall, I'm loving this build-up of tension around the war. I love that they're putting some faces to the casualties; a lot of the major conflicts are offscreen, which totally works, but this humanizes the cost

s02e11 - All Alone in the Night
  • Delenn has to meet with the council because she might be getting kicked out and might lost her ambassadorship
  • Sheridan has a secret meeting with General Hague
  • Okay, adding "stuck in dying fighter ship and slowly getting inescapable radiation poisoning" to my list of horrifying ways to die in space
  • I think they've upgraded the Grey Council Chamber since the last time we saw it, or maybe this is the first time we've gotten to see it with some more lighting
  • Sheridan is stuck in some kind of alien hunger games. So, I also recently got into TNG (I'd only seen episodes here and there), and it kinda reminds me of an episode I saw recently where Picard gets transported to a locked room on an alien ship with several other species and they have to escape-room their way out.
  • Delenn lost her council seat in a blatant power-grab by the warrior caste. She gets to return to B5, but it's pretty much framed as a banishment.
  • Aw, I love Lennier, by the way
  • Weird dream/prophetic vision sequence with Sheridan in a room with these lines. Sorry for another Twin Peaks reference, but it kinda felt like Agent Cooper's first dream of the Red Room-
    Ivanova: Do you know who I am? You are the hand.
    Garibaldi: The man in between is searching for you.
    Kosh: This is the first time your mind has been quiet enough to hear me. You have always been here.
  • I lol'd that the Streib are Greys
  • Alright, everyone's getting in on this secret Earth resistance. I'm here for it!
  • Also, we didn't really find out what exactly the Streib did to Sheridan

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 26, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

discoukulele posted:

I lol'd that the Streib are Greys

So, there are actually a few other species with a similar appearance over the series, most notably the Vree, (who you’ve seen in the cast of alien extras in council chamber scenes) who literally have flying saucer ships, and later in the series in a throwaway gag are shown as defendants in a lawsuit from a human who claims they abducted his ancestors. - spoiler has absolutely zero plot relevance. It’s literally a throwaway joke. Still, click at your own risk.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

discoukulele posted:

s02e10 - Gropos
  • Dodger is thirsty for Garibaldi
  • Oh my god, they're going to gently caress underneath his Daffy Duck poster

I love Dodger. I love her for herself, and for how she picks this one guy who just has so many relationship issues that he just can't handle the idea of, y'know, a one-night stand.

discoukulele posted:

s02e11 - All Alone in the Night
  • Okay, adding "stuck in dying fighter ship and slowly getting inescapable radiation poisoning" to my list of horrifying ways to die in space
  • Weird dream/prophetic vision sequence with Sheridan in a room with these lines. Sorry for another Twin Peaks reference, but it kinda felt like Agent Cooper's first dream of the Red Room-

Responding to each in order:
  • It's not great!
  • I really like the Twin Peaks comparisons, actually. Didn't watch Twin Peaks in the 90s. Was very familiar with Babylon 5, through the aughts (and home video), for like ... I don't know, fifteen years? before I finally saw Twin Peaks. So I don't really think much about how it was a predecessor to Babylon 5, how I'm sure JMS saw it, how it would've had some overlap in fans which shaped the conversation about B5 ... It's a neat idea and you're helping me think about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chevy Slyme posted:

So, there are actually a few other species with a similar appearance over the series, most notably the Vree, (who you’ve seen in the cast of alien extras in council chamber scenes) who literally have flying saucer ships, and later in the series in a throwaway gag are shown as defendants in a lawsuit from a human who claims they abducted his ancestors. - spoiler has absolutely zero plot relevance. It’s literally a throwaway joke. Still, click at your own risk.

That spoiler is actually in S1, so it's not a risk for discouke. Good shout on warning others, though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

That spoiler is actually in S1, so it's not a risk for discouke. Good shout on warning others, though.

Could’ve sworn they showed up with Theo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chevy Slyme posted:

No, it's Grail in S1.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
But yeah, anyway, there are a few minor variations of greys and other stereotypical aliens like that showing up throughout the series, which point to:

1) a certain cleverness in the show basically wink-nodding UFO sightings etc. as real and establishing all of those varied sketches as being of different species.

2) the cheapskate production ethos, which let them reuse a bunch of costume parts that have been scattered around the studio lot etc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chevy Slyme posted:

The Ombudsmen generally don't appear much after S1, and only when they interact with main characters

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s02e12 – Acts of Sacrifice
  • One of the themes of this episode that stuck out to me is isolation – The Narn are becoming isolated from the rest of the B5 species since no one wants to get involved. G'Kar is isolated from the other Narn on the ship, who are calling for blood, and he nearly gets Caesar'd as a result. Londo is self-isolating from the council and is only issuing statements and he's also personally isolated from the main B5 cast now (including his friend, Garibaldi. At the end of the episode, they have a somber moment over a drink and reflect on the fact that their friendship can't last now). Delenn is isolated from the Minbari because of her change and has no real clout to request assistance for the Narn, even if the Minbari would ever consider that. Sheridan, who is already isolated from Earth, faces strong opposition to his request for aid to the Narn. The lower class Lurkers are isolated from the rest of society in the lower decks, a fact that the Lumati praise Ivanova for.
  • As cheesy as a lot of it was, Season 1 truly was the Good Ol' Days now
  • The episode opens with the revelation that the Centauri are openly attacking civilian ships; no real surprise after they attack the Narn colony in Quadrant 14. And of course, they're doing the typical “those people are putting military installations in the heart of their civilian centers / those ships don't actually have civilians, they have weapons” routine that we always do in the real world.
  • Londo is already starting to see that an increase in his status really isn't all it was cracked up to be as the vultures start coming out of the woodwork for favors.
  • B5 security killed a Narn during a conflict with some Centauri; obviously B5 itself is going to get dragged into this conflict despite their best efforts to remain neutral.
  • Sheridan and Delenn conspire to provide some aid and escape for the Narn civilians, which is painfully less than G'Kar was hoping for.
  • Speaking of G'Kar, he has really grown on me as a character this season.
  • The entire Lumari sex subplot was super :rolleyes:
  • New drinking game – every time there's a dramatic orchestra hit
  • Random thought that I had while watching the Lumari's visit (as news about Omicron was popping up irl) - Do any space opera series get into detail about how they handle mixing new species together without massive outbreaks of new diseases? I mean, we killed the Martians with bacteria in War of the Worlds.

s02e13 – Hunter, Prey
  • I'd love to learn more about how the Vorlons ended up joining B5 since no one seems to really know anything about them.
  • Dr. Jacobs, the President's staff doctor, is on the run after getting info on black ops. I get that they have orders, but it's kinda weird that Garibaldi is acting like someone being anti-Earth is a bad thing after everyone decided to join the secret resistance 2 episodes ago.
  • Oh duh, Dr. Jacobs would know the truth about Clark's convenient illness before the assassination
  • People on this show are really bad about not making backup copies of important pieces of evidence
  • Vorlons have organic ships that you can nap in
  • I'm wondering what all of these cryptic hints about the Vorlons and music are all about

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 27, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

discoukulele posted:

s02e12 – Acts of Sacrifice
[list]
[*] The entire Lumari sex subplot was super :rolleyes:

I kinda liked how Ivanova found a way to embarrass the representative and making fun of his bullshit sexist traditions without causing a diplomatic incident

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

discoukulele posted:

Do any space opera series get into detail about how they handle mixing new species together without massive outbreaks of new diseases?

There's been a few touching on it, but nothing really in-depth. That time that Corran Horn hosed an otter, they both had severe full-body allergic reactions the morning after because it turned out they were both allergic to eachother. There was also a whole thing in Mass Effect where different species can have different chirality of amino acids so they can't process eachothers' foods, and one overheard conversation even features a Turian really creeping on a Quarian because he thinks their shared amino acids makes them more compatible. Quarians were originally playing off of the idea of a species having their immune systems atrophy from being in sterile environments, but that got rewritten. And nothing about the Asari makes any sense.

I guess technically, since most of the worst epidemics come from diseases that were comparatively minor in livestock making the jump to humans with long-term contact, a bunch of different sentient species intermingling would be likely to lead to something, but that's a principle not many people know about, and if you're writing a story about alien species becoming friends, that's the sort of barrier you don't want to deal with.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
B5 does talk about the idea of diseases crossing species a few times, but mostly it's handwavey background stuff and in context it's treated like a more-or-less solved problem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Expanse book/season 4 deals with it in a more realistic way than an alien disease somehow affecting humans, IMO. There's also a book series I never read about a space hospital called Sector General that is about alien medicine, so I'd assume that's in there.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Worrying about diseases from other species is how we got enterprises decontamination gel scenes. Ignoring it seems like the best option

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Quarians were originally playing off of the idea of a species having their immune systems atrophy from being in sterile environments, but that got rewritten.
Did that get rewritten? I thought they just emphasized the chirality more as the series went on. Turians don't go around in sealed environment suits all the time, and they have the same chirality issues.

Mild spoilers for Mass Effect 2, I guess: (maybe ME3, but I think this scene is in 2.)
I was expecting when Shep went to the migrant fleet, there'd be an inversion: Shep &co fully suited up, but Quarians unsuited. Instead, it was "yeah it turns out living in space ships for three hundred years really fucks up the immune system" and a bunch of still-suited Quarians.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And nothing about the Asari makes any
sense.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: They are an entire species of Zhaan.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
s02e14 – And Now For a Word
  • I dig this news broadcast format. I love a good unreliable narrator gimmick.
  • “Earth-loyal majority of Mars” :rolleyes:
  • btw I haven't mentioned it but I actually really dig the cheesy CGI. As a 90s kid, it's really nostalgic
  • Oh poo poo, there's public gambling on wars, which could give capital motivation to stretch things out a bit so they can hit that sweet 500-to-1 payout
  • “The one thing they never tell you is that you don't die instantly in a vacuum” :gonk:
  • err, yeah, I guess there has been a lot of violence and murder on B5 in the past year or so
  • :siren: WMD's :siren:
  • Sheridan's face when the reporter says “The Minbari surrendered” and he's like “...of course.”
  • One of the things that's so captivating about this series is how prescient it is. I mean, I know that a lot of the issues it touches on have always been constant issues in geopolitics (esp building a diverse, diplomatic UN/EU community vs. isolationism and saber-rattling, etc), but drat.
  • Just learned that humans are 58% of the B5 population. All of the crew and workers we've seen are humans, but I don't think that I ever realized that Earth has a clear majority. And the Narn just feel like a perfect embodiment of all of the places the US and greater Western world otherizes and exploits, then calls terrorists when they fight back.
  • I really want to see the Minbari crystal cities. I don't think that I knew before that the religious caste has its own language. Since there are 3 major languages on the Minbari homeworld, I'm assuming that the other two are for the Worker and Warrior castes?
  • Oh poo poo, the WMD's are real and the Centauri are moving them through B5. And now B5 has become a battlefield and it can't do anything without it being an act of war – oops spoke too soon, Sheridan gave the fire order while I was writing this.
  • Fuuuuuck Londo is straight up threatening B5 now
  • I love this loving Psi Cop PSA lmfao. And drat I didn't realize how widespread the testing centers are. I'm really curious if there was some sort of triggering event that made telepathy so common.
  • Ooof, majorly tense escalation of the war, especially with B5 continuing to barely manage to not get involved.

s02e15 - There All The Honor Lies
  • Hell yeah, B5 merch!
  • Hell yeah, Ivanova's gonna botch it!
  • Oh good, Sheridan just had to kill a Minbari assailant; just what they need right now.
  • Oh wow, with these dueling investigations, Sheridan and Delenn in conflict for the first time, I believe
  • Oh hey, it's Talia! Where tf you been?
  • “Actually he said Deh Fers't” lmfao :rolleyes:
  • Capitalism compels me to track down one of these cheesy B5 shirts
  • digging the Vorlon Gregorian chant
  • poor Vir :(
  • I believe this episode might be outside of the airing order because it's really weird that Londo is just hanging around the B5 crew after the last ep
  • Aw, I want a Sher-Bear
  • lmfao at the bear-hitting-the-window scene

s02e16 – Knives
  • I love the firey-eyes effect
  • :siren: CGI pterodactyl attack! :siren:
  • Oh no, Londo's going to have to screw over his friend to keep the MP assassination conspiracy hidden.
  • Oh poo poo, they're gonna duel!
  • Garibaldi and Sheridan head out to Sector 14, where Babylon 4 got caught up in that space/time business. Sheridan gets Shang Tsung'd by a rift.
  • Oh nevermind, some kind of creature that jumped from the Markab to Sheridan got sucked out of him :wtc:
  • Londo continues to lose the things that matter to him as he climbs the ladder.

s02e17 – In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum
  • Foreshadowing that Vir will see Morden die
  • B5 is getting swarmed with injured Narn refugees
  • Oh poo poo, Morden was on the Icarus!
  • Talia meets with someone from the Ministry of Peace (MiniPax)
  • Foundationism – God is too big to be defined by words
  • Introduction of the Nightwatch. It sounds like they're using telepaths to go after people for thought crimes.
  • drat, Garibaldi just quit
  • Sheridan arranged for Talia to walk by Morden. She saw two figures like the one we saw in The Long Dark flanking him.
  • Oh poo poo, are we actually going to get some answers?
  • The First Ones vs. The Shadows – The Minbari and the First Ones beat the Shadows 10,000 years ago. The Vorlons are one of the First Ones.
  • The Icarus went to Z'Ha'Dum and woke up the Shadows. It sounds like Morden was a human who chose to serve the Shadows.
  • Sheridan prophesied to die on Z'Ha'Dum

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 28, 2021

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Knives may be my favorite Londo episode.

Vavrek posted:

Did that get rewritten?

Sort of. They added in a bit where Quarian immune systems were always weird from having some kind of symbiosis with their planet. I think they wanted to double down on reasons for the Quarians to all be suited in ME2, since designing an unsuited Quarian would be a lot of work, and they had already given them the extravagance of two genders with separate body types.

On the bright side...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah they kinda retconned that Rannoch didn't have insect life and relatively little disease compared to most places, so Quarian immune systems were always terrible. It just didn't matter when they were living on the homeworld.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

discoukulele posted:

s02e15 - There All The Honor Lies
  • I believe this episode might be outside of the airing order because it's really weird that Londo is just hanging around the B5 crew after the last ep

Yeah, originally this one came before "And Now for a Word". Not a big deal except for what you noted.

The original broadcast order also had "Knives" after "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum" because the CGI for "Knives" ran over the deadline. This new order works much better IMO.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Knives may be my favorite Londo episode.
Knives is great. It's also, if I remember right (maybe not with the rearranged order?), the last episode written by someone other than JMS until the one S5 episode by Neil Gaiman.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sort of. They added in a bit where Quarian immune systems were always weird from having some kind of symbiosis with their planet. I think they wanted to double down on reasons for the Quarians to all be suited in ME2, since designing an unsuited Quarian would be a lot of work, and they had already given them the extravagance of two genders with separate body types.

On the bright side...
Thaaaaat makes a lot of sense. The drive to not have to make, effectively, a new species design (since the existing Quarians are defined by their suits). Except instead of a free hand when making the new design, you've got to somehow match or exceed everyone's idea of what they look like under the helmets ...

I still wish they'd done it and will add it to the list of ME2's sins. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Knives is great. It's also, if I remember right (maybe not with the rearranged order?), the last episode written by someone other than JMS until the one S5 episode by Neil Gaiman.

Correct - sort of. JMS wrote 57 consecutive episodes between 2X17 and 5X07, a record for US television at the time and making him the first man to ever write two entire seasons of one show. However, JMS only did the teleplay for 5X04, co-writing the story with Harlan Ellison.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

The HBO max version is all messed up. :saddowns:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

Correct - sort of. JMS wrote 57 consecutive episodes between 2X17 and 5X07, a record for US television at the time and making him the first man to ever write two entire seasons of one show. However, JMS only did the teleplay for 5X04, co-writing the story with Harlan Ellison.

Right. I thought of that one, briefly, but only realized Ellison had co-writer credit recently and so it's not stuck in my head yet as "JMS wrote all but 1.5 of the episodes in S5", so I neglected to mention it. Thanks for the correction.

Lawman 0 posted:

The HBO max version is all messed up. :saddowns:
:saddowns:
What's wrong with it?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Vavrek posted:

Right. I thought of that one, briefly, but only realized Ellison had co-writer credit recently and so it's not stuck in my head yet as "JMS wrote all but 1.5 of the episodes in S5", so I neglected to mention it. Thanks for the correction.

:saddowns:
What's wrong with it?

The audio is completely desynced lol.
It's basically unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

discoukulele posted:

s02e14 – And Now For a Word
  • I love this loving Psi Cop PSA lmfao. And drat I didn't realize how widespread the testing centers are. I'm really curious if there was some sort of triggering event that made telepathy so common.

Hopefully you caught the bonus message they snuck in?