Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

musk has been publicly hinting for weeks that Raptor needs a complete redesign to actually work, but i'm not seeing spacex going bankrupt. even launched on F9, Starlink is going to corner the market on military contracts and is the reason so many rich nutcases think that mega constellations of satellites are the way of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i don't see spacex going bankrupt as long as there are people wanting to put their poo poo into space

on the other hand we do live in the worst timeline so it would fit if the only eloncorp to go under was the least lovely one

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
f9 is a good product but it has a gigantic problem: the satellite launch market isn't growing, at least not outside of china. spacex already has way more f9 capacity than it can actually use, even with starlink. legacy garbage ideas like "having a profitable business model" absolutely do not matter here, it doesn't affect spacex' viability as a company in the slightest. all that matters is the growth story. if the growth story isn't convincing the company is in danger.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah thats the problem with all these private spaceflight companies. theres only so much need for lifting things into orbit and that number isnt growing. its not like there was this pent up demand for things to be put into orbit if only the cost of getting it to orbit would come down 10% or 30% or whatever. so these companies are stuck trying to create new markets like 'space tourism'

starlink exists primarily to give its host company some things to put into orbit while they wait (and wait) for actual market demand to appear. the fact that the cheapass cubesats fall out of orbit and need constant replenishment is a feature not a bug

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

GWBBQ posted:

Starlink is going to corner the market on military contracts

I'm extremely skeptical of this. Have they ever gotten any part of its satellite to satellite communication working? (Global mesh, lol). As soon as they fail to meet whatever performance specification the contract stipulated, I'm gonna imagine DoD drops them for whoever they can find.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Xakura posted:

As soon as they fail to meet whatever performance specification the contract stipulated, I'm gonna imagine DoD drops them for whoever they can find.

lmao

DoD has been pouring billions (trillions?) into a plane whose most reliable feature is killing its pilot.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the osprey may kill a lot of marines, but it also helps a lot of defense contractors get paid on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao

DoD has been pouring billions (trillions?) into a plane whose most reliable feature is killing its pilot.

yeah lol. the only part of a contact the government will ever enforce is payment to the vendor.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nasa and congress have been cooking the books and throwing money at the SLS despite it being a complete failure in every respect. about the only way spacex gets its contracts cancelled is if they threaten the SLS by creating something that works.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

the osprey may kill a lot of marines, but it also helps a lot of defense contractors get paid on time, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

i think in the meme one of the things has to be bad

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the german tesla plant is forming a works council, which will likely turn to full unionization

looks like the german tesla plant iwll be shut down in the near future

https://electrek.co/2021/11/23/tesla-employees-organizing-union-gigafactory-berlin/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

the osprey kills less marines than the helicopters it replaces

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Endless Mike posted:

the german tesla plant is forming a works council, which will likely turn to full unionization

looks like the german tesla plant iwll be shut down in the near future

https://electrek.co/2021/11/23/tesla-employees-organizing-union-gigafactory-berlin/

Can't wait for GröBaZ* Elon to announce this is the worst thing Germany's ever done.

* just replace Feldherr with Bazinga

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

starlink exists primarily to give its host company some things to put into orbit while they wait (and wait) for actual market demand to appear. grift billions from NASA funding

ftfy

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Didn't starlink get ~$900MM in FCC subsidies too?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MomJeans420 posted:

Didn't starlink get ~$900MM in FCC subsidies too?

they sure did lmfao because elon musk is a """" welfare queen """

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bet he drives a lincoln suv around with wheel spinners and he's playing lil jon real loud

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he's been married four times, has seven kids with different mamas

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol what does starlink do for the military that existing sat constellations don’t?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

lol what does starlink do for the military that existing sat constellations don’t?

allows them to be Billed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its more bandwidth. satellite internet is always bandwidth constrained. i presume the main use for the military would actually be for off duty soldiers (maybe more important for sailors) to talk with loved ones at home or just gently caress around on the internet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FrozenVent posted:

like, actually do, or in musk's fantasy land do?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

its more bandwidth. satellite internet is always bandwidth constrained. i presume the main use for the military would actually be for off duty soldiers (maybe more important for sailors) to talk with loved ones at home or just gently caress around on the internet.

yeah v-sat does that

don’t need a fancy omnidirectional antenna on a ship, they have plenty of space and power

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

he's been married four times, has seven kids with different mamas

only 3, but the way he got a baby then dumped grimes you'd think otherwise

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

yeah v-sat does that

don’t need a fancy omnidirectional antenna on a ship, they have plenty of space and power

if starlink delivers on the satellite to satellite thing it should be an orders of magnitude improvement of the quality of service in the middle of nowhere

they won't, but it'd be a solid improvement over any satellite system i've used. i would expect it to be an "additional" connection at best because elon, reliability?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

speaking of starlink, I'm in a FB group for it just for the sake of seeing what happens and a whole lot of people are complaining today because service availability has been bumped from "late 2021" to March 2022 or later.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the antennas don't work, they had a bunch of rather suspicious deorbits, and they still don't have intra-sat communication working

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

are there more lols other than the "don't work in the US southwest"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not sure how well they work in alaska either, but it's mostly the temperature issues and the massively unsafe installations, ungrounded, and using way to much current over PoE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

more recently, if you used their official tool to update the antenna location on their service map, it would delay your service for another year or two, for some reason

oh, and there are still the spectrum issues if any more than a handful of people actually use the service in an area

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

the antennas don't work, they had a bunch of rather suspicious deorbits, and they still don't have intra-sat communication working
i haven't heard anything about it in a couple of years, but i'm still predicting that they never resolve the spot beam issues they had with the first few batches of sats and end up putting them all into broadcast mode for the few terrestrial customers they have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FSD 10.5 now requires you authorize tesla recording you non-anonymously (prior versions recorded you, but were anonymized)

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-full-self-driving-requires-you-to-accept-being-recorded-on-video-during-use-174892.html

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sweet, now i can train the algorithm and my heroes at tesla will know my face

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

*spray paints her teeth silver*

WITNESS ME!!!

*mashes FSD button*

*fully reclines the driver's seat and takes a nap*

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1463342547456122890

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

andray domise is great and also, lol. i still don't know if that was intentional on the part of detroit news or not

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmaooooooo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Does elon have to fund the nazi party like ford did, because i think elon would be very much into that.