Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Those Cameos aren't gonna pay for themselves. :v:

That said, I wouldn't mind the Patreon feed getting ad-free versions of main feed episodes.

edit: Serious post, right now the ads at the start of the show are mainly for promoting their own stuff, which is fine, and a good idea. The other ads are Headgum's doing.

I think as well, depending on how you are listening to it, the service might be dynamically inserting even more ads. I know that's how recent tour info gets added to old episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It can dynamically suck my nuts. I skip almost all of them but I could really use a break from hearing the intro to stupid poo poo like better help. I’ll take loving square space as opposed to that nonsense.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I’m shocked for any podcast still running Better Help adverts after their recent kerfuffle

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would pay an extra $2 for an ad free patreon feed for the main episodes. Eric make it so.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

teen witch posted:

Yeah I’m shocked for any podcast still running Better Help adverts after their recent kerfuffle

Seriously, every pod that still shills them goes down a little for me. It's the damage of "the host has to read the copy like they use and love our service even though everyone knows the score".

Anyway, once I skipped 6:30 in, I'm really enjoying the intro to this film I forgot both exists and I almost certainly saw somewhere as a tyke.

E: anyone else get weird audio pops around 1:18:00? nope that was a weird thing with my earbuds and kitchen interference

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 23, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

jojoinnit posted:

Anyway, once I skipped 6:30 in, I'm really enjoying the intro to this film I forgot both exists and I almost certainly saw somewhere as a tyke.

This podcast is good at that. Several times now where at some point in the episode it clicks that I have seen this movie before!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Regarding Chairman of the Board, has anyone posted this yet? If so, who cares! It's one of the best late night interviews ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmadR4Ye54

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Regarding Chairman of the Board, has anyone posted this yet? If so, who cares! It's one of the best late night interviews ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmadR4Ye54

The boys do in the episode but you're the first here, so cheers for the full thing :)

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
What happened with Better Help?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

clown shoes posted:

What happened with Better Help?
https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/travis-scott-astroworld-betterhelp-tiktok/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So I'm listening to the Space Jam episode from 2015, and the episode starts with nearly 9 minutes of ads that were very clearly baked in from then.

In other words: You goons complain everywhere you go.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I wonder if some of the annoyance is the what the ads are for themselves. I feel like Him, Feels, Betterhelp, etc. just feel more scammy/predatory than like the cereal box or Squarespace. IDK.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dislike playing ads straight. They should be played for laughs at all time.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dorium posted:

I dislike playing ads straight. They should be played for laughs at all time.

Agreed, which is why I think Eric's ad reads are my favorite, he fucks around with them the most.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I pretty much exclusively listen to podcasts while driving, and I just hit the skip button on my steering wheel 4-6 times when the ads come on. Doesn't bother me at all.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Agreed, which is why I think Eric's ad reads are my favorite, he fucks around with them the most.

Whichever recent ad starts with Andrew going "eugh, uh which one is this?" is pretty funny. And it's just long enough for me to reach for my phone and press the skip button a few times.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

So I'm listening to the Space Jam episode from 2015, and the episode starts with nearly 9 minutes of ads that were very clearly baked in from then.

In other words: You goons complain everywhere you go.

It opens with "Hey gang! We're smack dab in the middle of the WHM 2021 Fall Tour..."?

I actually don't think any WHM ads are baked in. Firstly because the business model is to insert current ad reads directly and the commercials aren't a capsule where a company bought an ad once and they get it in a popular episode (theoretically) forever. Secondly because I just went to listen to another old episode to double check and it opened with the same fall tour update and then played an ad read that hilariously stopped halfway through and went straight to the episode open. My little European country often doesn't have whatever the product is available so with some podcasts I get zero ads, just the throw to the as immediately followed by "and we're back". I assume that algorithm or whatever kicked in.

Thanks for getting me to relisten to the Space Jam ep though. Perfect length for a gym listen!

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 24, 2021

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Play Eric’s ads at half speed.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

It opens with "Hey gang! We're smack dab in the middle of the WHM 2021 Fall Tour..."?

I actually don't think any WHM ads are baked in. Firstly because the business model is to insert current ad reads directly and the commercials aren't a capsule where a company bought an ad once and they get it in a popular episode (theoretically) forever. Secondly because I just went to listen to another old episode to double check and it opened with the same fall tour update and then played an ad read that hilariously stopped halfway through and went straight to the episode open. My little European country often doesn't have whatever the product is available so with some podcasts I get zero ads, just the throw to the as immediately followed by "and we're back". I assume that algorithm or whatever kicked in.

Thanks for getting me to relisten to the Space Jam ep though. Perfect length for a gym listen!

If it's an episode that was downloaded a couple years ago the ad would have been part of the episode, but the older episodes have had them removed since joining this network, not counting news regarding the show.

I was pretty amused by them wondering why Gallagher never got a movie, because that topic was actually part of the Marc Maron interview

Andorra fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 24, 2021

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Not to drag this dumb thing out, but what kind of psychopath downloads episodes and keeps them saved for years instead of streaming or downloading and deleting as you listen?! :stare:

Like yes, obviously in that case whatever was inserted then will still be there.

You people terrify me.

E: unless by downloaded you meant uploaded and there's a cutoff from when they changed networks and the ad format changed? That would make sense.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

Not to drag this dumb thing out, but what kind of psychopath downloads episodes and keeps them saved for years instead of streaming or downloading and deleting as you listen?! :stare:

Like yes, obviously in that case whatever was inserted then will still be there.

You people terrify me.

E: unless by downloaded you meant uploaded and there's a cutoff from when they changed networks and the ad format changed? That would make sense.

What I meant was, and I'll use an actual example so it's totally clarified, if I downloaded the Space Jam episode before they changed networks a year or so ago, it would have had the same original ad at the beginning no matter when I downloaded it, be it the day it came out or the day before the network switch. But since that switch if you download Space Jam the episode will have the new ads.

I don't know, I just have some episodes saved on my computer that I haven't gotten around to deleting, it's not like I really need the space. Plus I can always get a quick chuckle by listening to Cabin's yearly christmas tradition of watching TBS's 24 hours of Zoo. Or the Long John Silver's letter.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Andorra posted:

What I meant was, and I'll use an actual example so it's totally clarified, if I downloaded the Space Jam episode before they changed networks a year or so ago, it would have had the same original ad at the beginning no matter when I downloaded it, be it the day it came out or the day before the network switch. But since that switch if you download Space Jam the episode will have the new ads.
It's cool; I totally got this, I just found it odd since I don't think I've ever interacted with a podcast off my phone except for stuff like the covid live show, and most podcast apps delete automatically after you finish an episode.

Back to content: I've been giving the Patreon archive a listen this week and I forgot how much dumb fun the episodes on Ghost Rider and Bright are. There's something about a movie that's either awful in just the right interesting way (GR) or so unredeemable that they ignore the movie and just riff on the setting itself (Bright) that makes them work in just the right way.

Most Cage movies fall into the former so I'll give Con Air a listen soon as well. I'm still sore we'll never get National Treasure for this. I'd honestly be happy if they released the audio as is and I'd see how listenable I can make it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Anybody remember which episode it was that they read Tribune trivia stating that one of the actors walked out at a certain point in the premiere, and then they started coming up with points when the rest of the cast would have walked out?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

Anybody remember which episode it was that they read Tribune trivia stating that one of the actors walked out at a certain point in the premiere, and then they started coming up with points when the rest of the cast would have walked out?

I was one of the Shrek movies. They were talking about Eric idle getting mad at a Monty Python reference

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

Most Cage movies fall into the former so I'll give Con Air a listen soon as well. I'm still sore we'll never get National Treasure for this. I'd honestly be happy if they released the audio as is and I'd see how listenable I can make it.

I thought the problem is that there wasn't any audio at all due to a technical problem?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Angry_Ed posted:

I thought the problem is that there wasn't any audio at all due to a technical problem?

Pretty sure they said the venue hosed up. They used to use a phone as backup but no one wanted them to release that poo poo after they did it once. Either Scream 3 or Masters of the Universe i think.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Those Cameos aren't gonna pay for themselves. :v:

That said, I wouldn't mind the Patreon feed getting ad-free versions of main feed episodes.

Even if it wasn't ad-free, I wish the Patreon feed would have the normal episodes so I don't have to have two feeds. I am lazy.

Regarding ads - this poo poo is free. Just hit the skip button a few times you animals.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

jojoinnit posted:

Someone who drives through a lot of rural areas with poo poo signal/and or is on a plane flight for a while. I've been listening since "I Come in Peace", and I have all eps backed up on my laptop and on a microSD on my phone. I really need to go through and make a concerted effort to have them numerically ordered and divided up by seasons.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Listening to the WLM ep on Ghostbusters and I loving lost it at Eric saying "A giant woman" as Louis Tully.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Pretty sure they said the venue hosed up. They used to use a phone as backup but no one wanted them to release that poo poo after they did it once. Either Scream 3 or Masters of the Universe i think.

On Deadly Ground is my benchmark for terrible live audio, I don't really remember MOTU or Scream 3 sounding as bad as that

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Whatever the one was that was at that festival in Brooklyn was the top worst audio for me, though to be entirely fair it’s not their fault at all. I still wonder what happened there

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Ah my bad then. I thought it was a case of the audio being considered unreleasable, not literally a case of "someone forgot to hit record".

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I know this is a podcast that loves to bitch about fans and criticism, but I hope they drop better help given the fact that they record and sell therapy session information. Utterly unethical and the only therapists whom I can imagine agree to it are monsters or mercenaries.

Boohoo you make more in 3-4 months than I do as an actual therapist for severely sick and poor people in a year, don’t talk about how much you love therapy then sell your listeners out.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone see this yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone see this yet?

It would help if there was context to where this was from.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I think it’s F is for Family? It’s a show I know I’ve seen but couldn’t recall a thing about about it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Do NOT worry about Stephen and Andrew

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Gotta say I wasn't a big fan of the Ghostbusters episode because it was just them going scene by scene giggling with one of them just quoting a line from the scene. Not a lot of material to work with except the Tully impressions. Probably would've been better if they recorded it after watching Afterlife.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

fr0id posted:

I know this is a podcast that loves to bitch about fans and criticism, but I hope they drop better help given the fact that they record and sell therapy session information. Utterly unethical and the only therapists whom I can imagine agree to it are monsters or mercenaries.

Boohoo you make more in 3-4 months than I do as an actual therapist for severely sick and poor people in a year, don’t talk about how much you love therapy then sell your listeners out.

I'm with you on this one. I get it, it's the network, but they're not indentured servants that have to say yes to everything thrown their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Yea sorry, it's from F is for Family.