Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Watched the pilot of Yellowjackets on the recommendation of the thread. Holy poo poo, that was intense. So much happened. I know The Wilds is meant to be more YA than this but Yellowjackets blows it out of the water.

It's one of best pilots I have ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I will never forgive the Adult Swim app from telling me I’m unauthorized to watch new Joe Pera

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yellowjackets rules

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finished Yellowjackets E2. Everyone needs to watch this show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hmmm on the other hand i don't like sports or sports shows

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not sure I can enjoy a show like that without Clarke around to genocide all the opposition

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean Clarke didn't start out that way.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Josh Lyman posted:

Finished Yellowjackets E2. Everyone needs to watch this show.

”You wanna save the corn nuts?” was such a good line

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

It's a stressful show

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Khanstant posted:

hmmm on the other hand i don't like sports or sports shows

That is not really the focus of the show. At least I don't think so. Maybe next episode, it does a really weird swerve where everything in the world resolves around soccer again.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If they have a five season plan, maybe Yellowjackets is really a reverse Friday Night Lights where it STARTS with the sudden and bizarre murders and then turns into pure sports drama.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AceOfFlames posted:

If they have a five season plan, maybe Yellowjackets is really a reverse Friday Night Lights where it STARTS with the sudden and bizarre murders and then turns into pure sports drama.

S5 the surviving members are all back playing soccer, and literally killing the competition.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The plot in the present timeline is a leadup to them getting the team back together to win the big match and save the orphanage.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

readingatwork posted:

Minor book spoilers: OK so the book series opens with one of the original reincarnations of the Dragon being a king in a castle wondering where his family as subjects have run off to. Then fantasy Satan shows up and reveals that the king had actually used the one power too much and killed the hell out of everyone without realizing it.

This scene is important because it establishes the central conflict of the series as well as the potential stakes for failure in addition to dropping a lot of lore and introducing you to our hero (sort of) and antagonist. It’s also a genuinely chilling scene and I’d have loved to have seen it filmed.

its more that the dragon wasn't a king, more a general and the leader of the aes sedai that rallied the forces against the bad guys.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1463183990647664646

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMpRJwP5y9Q

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

hang on this almost seems like a joke

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sumo posted:

I will never forgive the Adult Swim app from telling me I’m unauthorized to watch new Joe Pera

Good episodes this week. Adventures of Otto spin-off please!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zero One posted:

What do we say about taxes? That's theft, bitch.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Really enjoying Yellowjackets, glad to see others are enjoying it as well. Hope it plays out without getting too supernatural, people are monstrous enough on their own and far more interesting.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Zero One posted:

drat you AS, let me watch! I’m even giving you a Direct TV login. Gah!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jumping into Yellowjackets E2.

I don't like the Lost comparison. This is actually good.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I don't think I saw any of the movies, but I'm really enjoying Chucky

also yeah Yellowjackets is great and I'm looking forward to the ride

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

isaboo posted:

I don't think I saw any of the movies, but I'm really enjoying Chucky

The first one is still great. 2 gets weird and then it's downhill.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

The first one is still great. 2 gets weird and then it's downhill.

Until the fourth one and then it's up up and away.

Even Seed of Chucky. Especially Seed of Chucky.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Euphoria is back on January 9th.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Oh my god I'm three episodes into Invasion and I don't think I've ever seen a show as aggressively and totally BORING as this show. I'm probably gonna stick with it out of morbid curiosity to see how long a major tentpole show can keep up this level of UNBELIEVABLE MIND-NUMBING BORING-NESS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Oh my god I'm three episodes into Invasion and I don't think I've ever seen a show as aggressively and totally BORING as this show. I'm probably gonna stick with it out of morbid curiosity to see how long a major tentpole show can keep up this level of UNBELIEVABLE MIND-NUMBING BORING-NESS.

It's a very very slow burn but it's not as bad as Foundation.

I also don't think it's a good binge show so take breaks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Slamhound posted:

Sarah is the most fascinating character in Joe Pera Talks To You. Is she schizophrenic?

Hmm, I don’t think so. Maybe bi-polar? Tho she’s certainly hurdling towards Covid being her thing she’s sensing that’s coming for the end of the season. Then I guess we wait for the next season to see how she handles that. Though it’s Sarah Connor so she’s prepared regardless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Still working my way through The Great, and it's the Archbishop (Archie) that I've become most excited by. They've taken the character in a bunch of unexpected directions this year, and it's fascinating.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’m halfway through now and he had some very good stuff in episode 5. Also a lot of pussy eating. Even more than usual!

Now watching Hawkeye and oh my god the Steve Rogers musical is so perfectly awful hahahaha

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watching the first season of Evil and it's kinda annoying how every posession turns out to be bad plumbing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Or does it???

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Watching the first season of Evil and it's kinda annoying how every posession turns out to be bad plumbing.

That's an essential part of the show, unfortunately, until it isn't, and they replace it with something even loving weirder and more slippery. A lot of the show is about doubt, both religious doubt, but also in that post truth sense of the way in that the reliability of knowledge has been destabilised. It's nothing so didactic as that explanation makes that seem, but I reckon it's an essential part of the show.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Until the fourth one and then it's up up and away.

Even Seed of Chucky. Especially Seed of Chucky.

This x100

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of, just watched the newest episode, nice to see the show taking cues from Mancini's time on Hannibal.

Someone renew the show already.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Saw that part 2 of Masters of the Universe hit Netflix and all I can say is all the people bitching and moaning about part 1 specifically about Prince Adam dying can be prepared to eat some humble pie

I am loving that without the sword He-Man is basically a raging D&D barbarian

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aces High posted:

Saw that part 2 of Masters of the Universe hit Netflix and all I can say is all the people bitching and moaning about part 1 specifically about Prince Adam dying can be prepared to eat some humble pie

I am loving that without the sword He-Man is basically a raging D&D barbarian
Question, since I'm interested in watching it:
Would it appeal to people who have never seen the original series and have no connection to any of these characters or is it more of a "you get a lot more out of it by having seen all of the original show."

I never watched the cartoon as a kid, for instance.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It's decent, but I think you get a lot more out of it having seen the original. It pays off on a lot or lore and ideas hinted at or brought up by the original. It also adds it own take and flavor to the universe, so that can be a bit off putting to those who have seen the original and think it skews a little too adult. It's not quite at "Why is Barney the Dinosaur eating the kids now?" level as far as maturity changes, but it's certainly a more adult take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my only history with anything Masters of the Universe related was the skits from Robot Chicken, other than that I only know memes and decided to check out part 1 because I really liked the new She-Ra and wanted to see what they would do with He-Man. Now here I am with part 2 and enjoying it