Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

I'm trying to decide between ThieAudio Legacy 3 vs. Moondrop Starfield. Any thoughts either way? Leaning towards the Starfields I think because I don't want to deal with the switches on the Legacy 3.

Starfields all the way. Or Hana 2.0 if you can swing it. L3 is ... not my favorite at all but the other 2 are excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

redeyes posted:

Starfields all the way. Or Hana 2.0 if you can swing it. L3 is ... not my favorite at all but the other 2 are excellent.

Picked up the Starfields, thanks! I looked at the Hana I couldn't justify spending another $50+ on another pair of headphones.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Need an in ear headphone that can be driven by a PS5 controller. I mostly use it to watch tv while lying in bed so it should be somewhat comfortable having the in ears between the pillow and my head. I’ve been doing that with the PS5 headset but I’m worried it might break.

Basically a small but still good sounding in ear headphone.

I’m thinking somewhere around $100 or below.

Also is it possible to have an open back headphone with ANC? Never heard anyone talk about it but I thought If the headphones got a chip to ignore sound coming from the drivers and just focus on the background noise.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tanchjim Tanya, I use them for white noise in bed. Moondrop Quarks also an option, they're smaller but I think the Tanyas sound better.

And no I don't think it's possible for open backs to have ANC, the Samsung Buds Live (the beans) claimed to have ANC but every reviewer I saw said it did absolutely nothing. You really need at least some kind of seal to make ANC do anything.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Moondrop SSR is good for the price if you're okay with a relatively bass light tuning. Very small profile and a nice, removable cable makes it good for sleeping.

e: i forgot the SSP exists, that's a way less niche tuning

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 13, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

Tanchjim Tanya, I use them for white noise in bed. Moondrop Quarks also an option, they're smaller but I think the Tanyas sound better.

And no I don't think it's possible for open backs to have ANC, the Samsung Buds Live (the beans) claimed to have ANC but every reviewer I saw said it did absolutely nothing. You really need at least some kind of seal to make ANC do anything.

I adore Tanya and I think you are bang on right.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered a Tanya

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You can't go wrong for 24 bux.. can you? Nah.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So awhile back I decided to make my own not-Tanchjim Oxygen. Got the correct driver, ripped apart a HBBxMele shell, did 30-40 tunings, and arrived at greatness:

I will glue them together soon enough, this was for prototyping. The Driver is a Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) 10mm. It's expensive at $50 for a pair.

Next I decided that I wanted the best tuned DD set known to man so I got Shuoer to make me a custom IEM with this exact tuning:

Wish me luck, even with all my horrible shilling and buying all the hype sets.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

would a standalone desk mic (+headphones) be a good upgrade over a headset for zooming?

my current wireless headset is dying so was thinking of switching to a mic setup

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Almost any desk mic would be better than an equivalent price headset mic, like you can get a snowball for around £50 in the UK now.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

shrike82 posted:

would a standalone desk mic (+headphones) be a good upgrade over a headset for zooming?

my current wireless headset is dying so was thinking of switching to a mic setup

It depends on what you choose and what you value more, the headphone or the mic. I personally think it's good to keep 'em separate so you can freely upgrade one without having to sacrifice the other.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

It’s getting cold outside and I like to wear my IEMs under my hat. I’ve been debating getting a pair of the ER2SE or ER3SE because of the triple-flange noise isolating tips and recommendations upthread. But can they be used while wearing a knitted cap? How uncomfortable are they, given the fact the shape makes them poke out a lot more than other options?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ideally they don't poke out at all, in fact when properly inserted only the cable will hang out your ear. If you don't get them in that far they wont sound correct.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Ah ok, got it. Thanks! Cram ‘em in ‘til they come out the other side.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I highly recommend ER2s but the stock cable is extraordinarily bad, and I'd tack $30 onto the price to replace it as a necessity. I like the tiny 90 degree connectors on this cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...807131742%22%7D

it allows you to loop the cable over your ear properly which makes a gigantic difference. also keep in mind etymotic uses recessed mmcx and most cables won't work.

e: also get a pack of the double flange tips if they don't come with. they're a game changer imo.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cool, how do they handle on an airplane? Do they isolate sufficiently to keep the volume below 11?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yes, although nothing will remove low-end engine rumble like an ANC set will.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Oh hmm, I was hoping to lighten my load and leave my XM2s at home.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
No matter how much you block your ear canal (and i don't think you can do better than etymotics) anc will always have an advantage in cutting out low end. On my last flight I took my ER2XRs for movies and games and whatnot, and a cheap pair of Taotronics anc earphones i got off amazon for sleeping with. Worked out fine!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I broke my Bose Soundsport earphones and I really liked them as good noise cancelling earphones for working out. Any recommendations for a replacement?
Longer battery life would be nice.
I've always been a sennheiser fan.
Lets say max budget is 250

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Get some Jabras my man.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Oh right, I've never considered them as a brand. I see they very recently launched the Elite 7 and Elite 3. That 3 looks nice and cheap. If I don't care much about voice or ANC functionality, how does it compare in terms of sound quality?

Otherwise I think I'll spring for the Elite 7 active

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The advice I got previously which I think is spot on is: Jabra may not be the BEST sound quality, but all its other functionality is spot-on (Calls, buttons etc)

Jabra is pretty decent sound quality. Not the BEST but at the same time, with true wireless IEMs, you're probably out and about. My priority was functionality. How well does it pair, ease of use, ability to hear-through etc.

I like that Jabras are a semi open design. I like the comfort. I like the functionality. I got a pair of the 85ts a few months ago and bring them with me on my commute and am really happy with them.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Ok I was set on those Jabra Elite 7s but some reviews say the fit is uncomfortable.

Being close to black friday there are some specials going on right now.
I'm now deciding between:
the Jabra 85t ($150 down from $230),
the sony WF-1000XM4 ($250 down from 280)
and the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 ($200 down from $300)

Or maybe I should save my money and just get the Jabra 75t which is now on special for $100 down from $210

I can't decide!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
If you're gonna be running with them, maybe look at the 75 active? Otherwise I think you'll be happy with either the 75 or 85

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Jabra has been selling refurbished 85t sets for $99 on their website. Pretty great deal if you're willing to go for refurb.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fallom posted:

I am not thrilled that my Fiio K3 required an ini edit to reveal a secret control panel option to make the popping noises stop when audio wasn't playing

Finally got my K3, got rid of the popping 'reactivation' noise (thanks for the link), and so far so good, but... this has way lower volume than the e10k.

The e10k on low gain mode would make your ears bleed at volume 4, this one is almost all the way up on high gain and it's fine like this, but feels like I don't have a lot of leeway. Are you getting the same? Did I miss a configuration somewhere?

/edit: I'm using regular-rear end 32 Ohm headphones, got a pair of 80 ohm DT 770s but the volume seems to be the same as the 32s.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 23, 2021

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So jabra 75Ts are on sale here for 790skr, those are the ones you all are talking about? These would actually be my first Bluetooth earpieces, I've been stubborn.

I'm a bit worried about losing one or the other at time, not like I go running a lot but I'm pretty absent minded.. but everything is Bluetooth now so I need to take the plunge eventually.

Any ways you guys found to prevent losing them or has it just not been a worry for you?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Finally got my K3, got rid of the popping 'reactivation' noise (thanks for the link), and so far so good, but... this has way lower volume than the e10k.

The e10k on low gain mode would make your ears bleed at volume 4, this one is almost all the way up on high gain and it's fine like this, but feels like I don't have a lot of leeway. Are you getting the same? Did I miss a configuration somewhere?

/edit: I'm using regular-rear end 32 Ohm headphones, got a pair of 80 ohm DT 770s but the volume seems to be the same as the 32s.

Yeah I have the same complaint about volume with my 80ohm DT 770s but didn't have anything to compare it to. I'm still fine listening at 60-80% but I expected it to blow my ears out.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fallom posted:

I'm still fine listening at 60-80% but I expected it to blow my ears out.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Ah well, not a gigantic deal, just... weird. Thanks.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

NLJP posted:

So jabra 75Ts are on sale here for 790skr, those are the ones you all are talking about? These would actually be my first Bluetooth earpieces, I've been stubborn.

I'm a bit worried about losing one or the other at time, not like I go running a lot but I'm pretty absent minded.. but everything is Bluetooth now so I need to take the plunge eventually.

Any ways you guys found to prevent losing them or has it just not been a worry for you?

Once you've found a decent fit the odds of them falling out are no greater than any other in-ears, and you'll feel them coming loose before they actually drop so you can nudge them back into place. I wouldn't say everything is going bluetooth, I only got my Airpod Pros because wearing headphones at work with a cable gets very annoying.

Every horror story I've ever heard of people losing wireless earbuds has been regular Airpods, ie the ones without any kind of seal to hold them in your ears. Just this week one of my workmates had his in when leaning over a fryer (that was fortunately turned off) and one of them fell out and dropped in the oil.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

This probably doesn't account for all of it, but the rated power output for the K3 is 120mW at 32 Ohms to the E10K's 200mW. ASR measured it at ~108mW, still only a 3dB difference though...

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 23, 2021

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

njsykora posted:

Once you've found a decent fit the odds of them falling out are no greater than any other in-ears, and you'll feel them coming loose before they actually drop so you can nudge them back into place. I wouldn't say everything is going bluetooth, I only got my Airpod Pros because wearing headphones at work with a cable gets very annoying.

Every horror story I've ever heard of people losing wireless earbuds has been regular Airpods, ie the ones without any kind of seal to hold them in your ears. Just this week one of my workmates had his in when leaning over a fryer (that was fortunately turned off) and one of them fell out and dropped in the oil.

Right now I just need to worry about misplacing them somewhere like I do with my glasses. Growing old is rough.

(And when I say everything I mean every drat phone primarily)

pineapple3k
Feb 12, 2014
So I've been looking to get a new pair of headphones for a while now, and some of them are on sale. The ones I'm looking to get are the Sennheiser 58x and the Fidelio X2HR. My last and only pair was the Ath-M50 which I bought at least 10 or so years ago and the cable is kind of damaged. I would be using these mostly just to play games or watch some movies on my pc. Anyone have opinions on the comfort level of these headphones? I can only wear the M50 for about 2 hours or so before I get fatigued and mostly just use some cheap phillips over the ear buds. If the comfort level is the same as the M50s, then I would just get some iems or something.

I would rather go for some wireless earbuds or something. Are there no wireless buds that have usb dongles? I tried some bluetooth ones but they all have latency which is too distracting to use.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Any go to true wireless earbuds for under $50 to use at the gym? Thought I might switch from my regular wireless ones. I've always went with the recommended $20-30 ones for those so unless there's a really noticeable sound difference from $50 to $100 I'll probably just stay on the budget side. It does end up being the only time I listen to music most days so maybe it's worth it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can you guys help me find a good headset? I don't know what I want or what I'm even looking for.

Budget: $200 - $300
Source: USB-C on a Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy S21, Nintendo Switch and PC
Isolation Requirements: No, in fact I would prefer being able to hear the people around me when necessary, as long as I'm not driving everyone around me nuts with my music
Preferred Type of Headphone: Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance: I think I want bass, but maybe not. Positional audio would be great so I can use them for gaming, and I listen to a lot of broadway musicals, and chiptunes
Past Headphones: I have never really bought fancy headphones, but I want too because I finally have disposable income as an adult. I'd also want a good warranty.

I'd like for the option to use a bluetooth, or a wire depending on where I am. I really like the concept of wireless, but I have a ton of problem with the bluetooth on my PC. I also am under the impression wired is better?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

After holding off for so long I finally bought some AirPods Pro on sale, and I definitely regret not buying them earlier now. Better ANC and (preferential) sound profile can be had (and I do have better IMO with my Sony WHXM2s and BLON respectively) but I finally gave in because 1) having hair past your ears makes anything short of truly wireless earbuds a pain in the rear end and 2) having pairing "just work" with my phone reduces so much of the hassle associated with Bluetooth pairing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looking for advice with a certain setup/situation. I have a surround sound setup where the "rear" speakers are more towards the sides due to my desk limitations. Friends have complained that my current mic picks up all the background noise so I can't listen to music while chatting with them. Would it be fine to get a unidirectional desk or headset mic (something like modmic) so I can still vibe while chatting or would it still pick up most of the sound? In addition, if I were to have a separate laptop to use the mic/headset so I can listen to chat while playing games on my main desktop with my speakers, would I still be able to get most of the sound if I were to use an open backed headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

pineapple3k posted:

So I've been looking to get a new pair of headphones for a while now, and some of them are on sale. The ones I'm looking to get are the Sennheiser 58x and the Fidelio X2HR. My last and only pair was the Ath-M50 which I bought at least 10 or so years ago and the cable is kind of damaged. I would be using these mostly just to play games or watch some movies on my pc. Anyone have opinions on the comfort level of these headphones? I can only wear the M50 for about 2 hours or so before I get fatigued and mostly just use some cheap phillips over the ear buds. If the comfort level is the same as the M50s, then I would just get some iems or something.

I would rather go for some wireless earbuds or something. Are there no wireless buds that have usb dongles? I tried some bluetooth ones but they all have latency which is too distracting to use.

I have both the X2 (identical to the X2HR) and the HD6XX, which I think uses a similar chassis to the HD58X.

YMMV based on the shape of your skull and ears, but I can wear both for a whole day without issue. The difference is that the Sennheisers feel like a snug sports seat in a German sports car, while the X2s feel like a big comfy lounge chair, so it's up to you what kind of comfort you prefer. Both are open back, if your surroundings matter.