Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/clickhole/status/1463189049624121351

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Indian is planning on banning crypto.

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/11/23/india-is-planning-to-tighten-crypto-regulation-to-deter-trading-in-a-new-clampdown-sources

The markets have completely crashed, I imagine this is good for bitcoin.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
:agesilaus:BUY THE DIP!!!

:argh:WHICH ONE???

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

there's some rumblings that HMRC in the UK is also planning a big tax clampdown on crypto, specifically a reminder letter sent to coinbase customers in the UK that any income from crypto trading is subject to tax

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

DerekSmartymans posted:

:agesilaus:BUY THE DIP!!!

:argh:WHICH ONE???

Buy the dip?

"BUY!" -the dip

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a draft letter got leaked from the Senate Banking Committee to Tether demanding answers about their backing so lol rip the economy

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

Buy the dip?

"BUY!" -the dip

Whoever posted “No, fees!” ten years ago broke my brain.

“No fees!” (Fees) is second place.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Back to ma and pa ransomware supporting the ecosystem, as Satoshi intended.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

a draft letter got leaked from the Senate Banking Committee to Tether demanding answers about their backing so lol rip the economy

https://www.banking.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/letter_to_tether.pdf this one?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

7. are you just a big scam Y/N

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

drk posted:

7. are you just a big scam Y/y

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Over the last 12 months, what is the greatest percentage of the Tether in circulation at the beginning of a calendar week to be redeemed in the subsequent seven days?

oh oh is the answer zero percent i bet it's zero percent

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

because it's bitcoin, it's somehow negative

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

drk posted:

YOSPOS > buttconi: are you just a big scam Y/N

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

did you just lie about not being a big scam? [Y]

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
not just tether

https://twitter.com/RonwHammond/status/1463274970063200267

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lmao maybe it'll rattle enough institutional money out and leave the ponzingas holding the bag

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

quote:

Buying And Selling Bitcoin On Robinhood. What am I missing? (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago by MarinetteXLila

I'll try to keep this quick:
I want to buy bitcoins low and sell them high. I also use Robinhood and don't know a ton about the features.
I know there is a button to set a price to buy at a certain price and sell at a certain price.
So with Robinhood does a buy and sell "settle" automatically for Bitcoin or does it take 2 days? I don't know what account I have on Robinhood but I sold a stock for a pretty high price because it was at an all time high I thought it might drop the next day (today) and I was right it dropped like 5 percent... But I didn't know it would take 2 days for those funds to settle... I thought that when you sold you can use that money instantly...?
Does Bitcoin follow the same path or because it can be traded 24/7 are the fund settled instantly?
I definitely feel Bitcoin moves around a lot and can easily make money by at the moment maybe just buy for 56,000 and sell for 57,000 and repeat like like 100 times or whatever interval of 1000 it is at the time... It moves around enough to do that so why doesn't everyone do that??? Is it illegal or something???
I heard that day trade limit of 3 doesn't apply to Bitcoin... Does it apply to Bitcoin?
What am I missing? Tell me?

emphasis mine. this brain genius gonna make so much money.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

DAAAOOOO
DAAAOOOOOO
Daylight come and me want money back

DAO hums and me money's all gone

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FAUXTON posted:

ponzingas

damb
:drat:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shifty Pony posted:

DAO hums and me money's all gone

damb!
:vince:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"consumers' increased use of stablecoins" where???

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gazpacho posted:

"consumers' increased use of stablecoins" where???

Energy consumers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crust First posted:

I'll try to keep this quick:
I want to buy bitcoins low and sell them high.

What am I missing? Tell me?

the condensed version

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know anything about psychic witches, but if they can fend off psychic vampires maybe they're okay.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

someone I know who used to be a dance teacher and had to stop for covid started doing some sort of manifesting witchy moon life coach bs and is apparently doing pretty well at it, idk where all this money comes from but I'm glad she's not poor

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

I don't know anything about psychic witches, but if they can fend off psychic vampires maybe they're okay.

whenever they come up on the fplus it seems like they do nothing but get attacked by psychic vampires without ever seeming to conclusively defeat them so i don't know

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

idk where all this money comes from but I'm glad she's not poor

it comes from the gullible, desperate, and stupid, just like in crypto

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

someone I know who used to be a dance teacher and had to stop for covid started doing some sort of manifesting witchy moon life coach bs and is apparently doing pretty well at it, idk where all this money comes from but I'm glad she's not poor

yeah it conveniently self-selects for the kind of idiots who have the free time and money to spend on this bullshit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hashtag chingchingching

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
JuliusBranson 0 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

Stablecoins are dangerous because they have the potential to change the current selection effects on the elite. For one thing, stablecoins subvert the ability of the Federal Reserve to print money and give it to their friends at Goldman Sachs et al --- normally this is supposed to result in their friends have a larger fraction of money than they previously had. You start with 1 dollar, David at Goldman Sachs starts with 1 dollar, you each have 50% of the wealth in the "nation." David and his friends start printing themselves money, soon they have 99 dollars and you have 1. That's how inflation works.
When there's stablecoin, you just put your dollar in bitcoin before they print the money, the dollar inflates, bitcoin goes up proportionately, you spend the bitcoin and things remain fair.

This obviously curtails the ability of the ruling class to reproduce itself. More than that, if the pool of people getting billions through stablecoins is more random than the pool of people who got rich on the dollar, then the ruling class will change to be more representative of the population as a whole.

This could cause massive cultural changes, consequently.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i am always here for crypto economic theory

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so, f/i/a/t is bad because rich people get newly printed money, but stable coins are good because the future rich people get newly printed money, got it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i thought the whole point of stable coins was their 1:1 exchange rate with the dollar?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

This obviously curtails the ability of the ruling class to reproduce itself. More than that, if the pool of people getting billions through stablecoins is more random than the pool of people who got rich on the dollar, then the ruling class will change to be more representative of the population as a whole.

it will get rid of the ruling class. also, it will make me the ruling class, which is more fair

also that's one hell of a load-bearing "if" in that second sentence lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ADINSX posted:

i thought the whole point of stable coins was their 1:1 exchange rate with the dollar?

i believe that post assumes that the value of bitcoin is a fixed objective unchanging reality, and the only thing that changes is the supply of dollars and/or stablecoins

it also assumes that they'll tell you ahead of time before minting a bunch of new tethers so you can move your money into bitcoin before inflation happens, which lmao ok sure buddy

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

if you have tethers, don't worry they're backed by loans to the absolute safest companies

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1463503033460047879

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

JuliusBranson 0 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

Stablecoins are dangerous because they have the potential to change the current selection effects on the elite. For one thing, stablecoins subvert the ability of the Federal Reserve to print money and give it to their friends at Goldman Sachs et al --- normally this is supposed to result in their friends have a larger fraction of money than they previously had. You start with 1 dollar, David at Goldman Sachs starts with 1 dollar, you each have 50% of the wealth in the "nation." David and his friends start printing themselves money, soon they have 99 dollars and you have 1. That's how inflation works.
When there's stablecoin, you just put your dollar in bitcoin before they print the money, the dollar inflates, bitcoin goes up proportionately, you spend the bitcoin and things remain fair.

This could cause massive cultural changes, consequently.

check out mr julius brainson over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

idk what happened but i am glad i am not reading slashdot/hn daily anymore and slowboiling my brains by taking life lessons from the kind folks like ephebohacker1968 who had it all figured out until h1bs and mikkro$haft took their job