Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then posted:

please tell me exactly how i should organize my development environments, since you know so much better than i do the exact things I need to do to do my job

did he stutter?

hobbesmaster posted:

clearly the only command you should be running locally is "ssh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i recommend you all use the local command "Log Out"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

please tell me exactly how i should organize my development environments, since you know so much better than i do the exact things I need to do to do my job

clearly a post in yospos starting with the word "clearly" is said in complete seriousness

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

jesus WEP posted:

i also have the intel 16” as a work laptop and it’s really good, m1 would be nice but whatever

you have no idea what 'really good' truly is. the 14" max is so perfect it makes the intel 16" almost not even an apple notebook. repent and ask steve for forgiveness

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
going from an m1 to an intel mac feels really bad imo. my work laptop is a 2019 intel and my m1 mini feels 100x better to just use, even at half the ram

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking about getting a pair of homepods to function as an intercom but it sounds like the intercom service acts more like a PA than a front door intercom- you have to "hey siri say this to [room]" for every message, it's not a continuous duplex stream. are there any products that do do that for a reasonable cost? voice-activated home intercoms? or would I have to throw this together with a couple of raspis or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
buy some FRS walkie talkies and leave them on the charger

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

haveblue posted:

I was thinking about getting a pair of homepods to function as an intercom but it sounds like the intercom service acts more like a PA than a front door intercom- you have to "hey siri say this to [room]" for every message, it's not a continuous duplex stream. are there any products that do do that for a reasonable cost? voice-activated home intercoms? or would I have to throw this together with a couple of raspis or something

https://www.unikcctv.com/product/8-...ntent=Intercoms

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

haveblue posted:

Echos have a "drop in" service. You say "alexa, drop in on bedroom dot" or whatever and then it's a two way communication until you say "alexa, hang up". I use to talk to the kids when they're upstairs gaming

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-home/news/amazon/143172-how-to-set-up-and-use-drop-in-on-amazon-echo-devices

Dots are on sale for for $25 or so around now

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s the future, use your watches

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jesus Christ how big is your house you need an intercom? just fuckin walk over there man

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the main use case is “currently holding a baby”

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

With your feet?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jenny Agutter posted:

Jesus Christ how big is your house you need an intercom? just fuckin walk over there man

two floors and I'm getting tired of shouted conversations up or down the stairs

FCKGW posted:

Echos have a "drop in" service. You say "alexa, drop in on bedroom dot" or whatever and then it's a two way communication until you say "alexa, hang up". I use to talk to the kids when they're upstairs gaming

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-home/news/amazon/143172-how-to-set-up-and-use-drop-in-on-amazon-echo-devices

Dots are on sale for for $25 or so around now

this sounds good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant believe yospos has turned into this lol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Jonny 290 posted:

time makes fools of us all

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

we got old, man

Mad Wack posted:

time makes fools of us all

yeah, that

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

jonny post 95 theses

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i refuse all hot mics in my house outside of limited siris

the rest can get right hosed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i personally wouldn't go for an amazon branded telescreen in my home, but whatever floats your boat

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sniep posted:

i refuse all hot mics in my house outside of limited siris

the rest can get right hosed
not even siri

timb is the most trustworthy of our tech overlords but thats a real tallest midget / happiest yosposter kind of thing

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lol my current work 2016 mbp is having some...issues

These are all idle readings

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

infernal machines posted:

i personally wouldn't go for an amazon branded telescreen in my home, but whatever floats your boat

its so amazing how people just do this and dont even care

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
imagine having like a google mic directly in your house like what the literal gently caress

and people are doing this

and paying for the privilege too

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
hello worlds largest advertiser, data vacuum, and human rights violator? can i give you all of my information all the time in realtime? and i can pay you for this too?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The trick is to move all your communication with other family members to a text based system like matrix or signal

can’t eavesdrop if nobody ever says anything

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

imagine having like a google mic directly in your house like what the literal gently caress

and people are doing this

and paying for the privilege too

I mentioned this in AI the other day and was told "lol gently caress off grandpa it's just because you don't understand the technology"

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

haven’t the Linux nerds built a speech recognizing assistant that you can host yourself yet
the internet is dumb and I don’t want to have to rely on it to set an egg timer

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

haven’t the Linux nerds built a speech recognizing assistant that you can host yourself yet

There's something called Home Assistant or something that's an open source one that can run solely off an internal network and doesn't shell out to Google or amazon.

I think it takes a lot of setup though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

r u ready to WALK posted:

yeah https://mycroft-ai.gitbook.io/

e: home assistant is a bigger package that includes mycroft as well as poo poo to flash your light bulbs or turn your thermostat to stun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mad Wack posted:

timb makes fools of us all

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

CyberPingu posted:

There's something called Home Assistant or something that's an open source one that can run solely off an internal network and doesn't shell out to Google or amazon.

sounds like a huge time sink for what will just be a pile of crap

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

perfect for hbag

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

sounds like a huge time sink for what will just be a pile of crap

Yep pretty much.

All of this stuff is basically just absolute minor quality of life poo poo for a huge cost.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

CyberPingu posted:

Yep pretty much.

All of this stuff is basically just absolute minor quality of life poo poo for a huge cost.

based on some limited experience with stuff like crestron and amx, and also seeing people throw tons of iot crap in their houses, ive come to the conclusion that all existing home automation systems require tons of active maintenance to continue working it’s just the fancy expensive ones you pay an installer $$$ to fix it for you when it breaks

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

fart simpson posted:

based on some limited experience with stuff like crestron and amx, and also seeing people throw tons of iot crap in their houses, ive come to the conclusion that all existing home automation systems require tons of active maintenance to continue working it’s just the fancy expensive ones you pay an installer $$$ to fix it for you when it breaks

Pretty much

The cost either comes from selling your data to Google or Amazon for their AIO devices or paying beaucoup dollar for a self rolled one.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

basically the only people that benefit are nerds who enjoy janitoring iot crap at home, or actual rich people

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Home Assistant is just a smart stuff integration software. I use it to turn my porch lights on before sunset and it’s pretty low effort for that.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i simply choose not to ever talk to anyone or ‘automate’ such strenuous tasks as flicking a light switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'll cop to using siri on my phone that days, but my rsi has forced my broken hosed up hand

other than that, gently caress smart appliances and gently caress smart homes and gently caress running surveillance in your own goddamn home