Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'll cop to using siri on my phone that days, but my rsi has forced my broken hosed up hand

other than that, gently caress smart appliances and gently caress smart homes and gently caress running surveillance in your own goddamn home

ios 15 siri defaults to processing your voice locally if you have an iphone xs, xr, or newer. supposedly nothing leaves the phone unless you opt in to it (or do a command requiring a google search or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah, siri is the only assistant i find acceptable for my personal use, for that reason. but also my “smart home” requirements are 1) voice timers in kitchen 2) automatic retraction of blinds in the morning, when i actually will live somewhere with blinds

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i cant believe yospos has turned into this lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i use siri to:

text people
call people
set timers
set alarms
ask about the weather

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i use siri to:

text people
call people
set timers
set alarms
ask about the weather

this and sports scores

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i use siri to:

text people
call people
set timers
set alarms
ask about the weather

you just listed every Siri feature

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oh yeah i also use it for searching the web, like 'hey siri search wikipedia for bigfoot'

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i curse at siri every time it activates itself from ambient noise while walking around, that's basically the only time i interact with it

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

having the split reverse cycle ac accessible with Siri is great. can cool down or warm up the plase when you’re on the way home or turn it off if you forgot and you don’t want to get out of bed.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm really disappointed that none of the big corporations have the guts to plug their voice assistants into GPT-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1eTp-xPUeU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

njsykora posted:

i curse at siri every time it activates itself from ambient noise while walking around, that's basically the only time i interact with it

why not turn it off? if i wasn't using it i would

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cold on a Cob posted:

why not turn it off? if i wasn't using it i would

and lose something mildly inconvenient to complain about on the internet?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmao this is precisely my thesis. idiot hellfucker techlords around me are showing off these wifi lights and poo poo but a) its a bunch of hacky bullshit and b) their houses are covered in hot mics. they keep trying to get me onto their sunk cost fallacy train but i watch them constantly tinker with poo poo and that aint me in 2021.

my oven begs me periodically to go on wifi and no thank you

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

if siri could actually tell me when the local commuter train is about to pull into the station so I can make a useless dash out the door only to furiously put the brakes on a deserted platform that would just about round out the cold on the cob list for me

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

holy poo poo the pictures my brothers iphone 13 pro took - esp at night - were incredible

i want one so bad right now

also the loving oled screen is magic - i was scrolling through comments and it was like... it was real. like i was physically scrolling through paper or something. so goddamn crisp and smooth.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 24, 2021

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

njsykora posted:

and lose something mildly inconvenient to complain about on the internet?

touché

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

There's something called Home Assistant or something that's an open source one that can run solely off an internal network and doesn't shell out to Google or amazon.

I think it takes a lot of setup though.

you mean gladys?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Vintersorg posted:

holy poo poo the pictures my brothers iphone 13 pro took - esp at night - were incredible

also the loving oled screen is magic - i was scrolling through comments and it was like... it was real. like i was physically scrolling through paper or something. so goddamn crisp and smooth.

13 pro max crew checkin in

daylight shots rule

here is a shot at a concert my last phone for sure wouldntve gotten. you can tell it missed focus on a big screen but on the phone it looks loving incredible.

this was a 3x zoom on a hawk cutie and again, very impressed with the detail

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

the huge selling point of this phone and why i got is that i can be 10/10 drunk and high and no matter what this phone gets the shot regardless of lighting or motion and that poo poo is wild to me in 2021.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

oleds are amazing. the mini led displays on the new macbook pros are somehow just as good, I don't understand how they did it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

13 pro max crew checkin in

here is a shot at a concert my last phone for sure wouldntve gotten. you can tell it missed focus on a big screen but on the phone it looks loving incredible.

with the tiny sensor and at that distance it probably didn't miss focus. I believe you're seeing artifacts from it doing it's multi-sample processing thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Vintersorg posted:

Apple, the company that now actually listens to complaints and sometimes does stuff about them, really amped up the low-light sensitivity starting with the iPhone 11s.. but I can see that with the 12 and now the 13 they have been incrementally amping up that sensitivity to the level where they actually use that as a selling point "incredible low-light photos and videos"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah we're a couple of years past the moment where everyone finished pointing out apple has fewer megapixels because they are definitely having the last laugh

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It seems with tons of lights it can mess up - he sorta got an outline here with the light but this is a bit of an extreme example.

This was at Capilano Bridge in Vancouver - they have a huge light show thing going on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

:smug: *HEH* imagine taking a picture on a PHONE instead of carrying 20 lbs. of DSLR equipment with you everywhere just in case you see a cool cat on the street :smug:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I have an x100v and it takes nice photos. phone is good in a pinch though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

:smug: *HEH* imagine taking a picture on a PHONE instead of carrying 20 lbs. of DSLR equipment with you everywhere just in case you see a cool cat on the street :smug:

Interchangeable lens cameras still produce nicer images. But AI and multisampling does help phone a lot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet posted:

Interchangeable lens cameras still produce nicer images. But AI and multisampling does help phone a lot.

yeah my wife has an 11 pro and im constantly impressed by the picture quality she gets out of it, but when we switch over to one of the sony mirrorless cameras with a decent prime lens i go “oh. yeah this is noticeably better”

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Endless Mike posted:

lmao my busted rear end d40 from 2007 takes incredible images but lmao if you think im just gonna edc that

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like if i give a poo poo ill bring the dslr but this phone rules for being crossfaded

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i like my 13 pro max because it constantly reminds me that i need to dust

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a 12 mini and an rx100, and while i can take better photos with the rx100, i've taken like 10x more with my phone because it's always there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

i like my 13 pro max because it constantly reminds me that i need to dust
hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMJDoSmkFOc

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
my grandma moment is the first time i rented a car with keyless entry + push button start and lost my poo poo bc hello thing you dont want to fail ever being put into something that can fail. same poo poo with the hatch being touch open vs a mechanical lever. also now you can't just run on battery to listen to some tunes since it auto shuts off the electrics? at least in the subaru we were in september.

also replacing the "key" is ridic expensive i hear?

i'm really wanting a car without all that crap when it comes time to get one, but afraid it's impossible at this point

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Hit three figgies

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like to say "alexa, play soma fm groove salad" while im making dinner with little jones

i would prefer to use apple devices, but i cant argue too much with free*

*i did pay 15 or 20 i think for the echo dot i keep in the bathroom though. maybe i should interview with amazon again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the last time I rented a car I was very confused by the proximity lock on the trunk. I was used to trunks that could be explicitly locked and would refuse to open when I pulled the handle and suddenly I was unable to do this. it didn't occur to me the trunk was silently locking and unlocking itself when I wasn't in a position to check it and someone had to explain this to me

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cheese eats mouse posted:

my grandma moment is the first time i rented a car with keyless entry + push button start and lost my poo poo bc hello thing you dont want to fail ever being put into something that can fail. same poo poo with the hatch being touch open vs a mechanical lever. also now you can't just run on battery to listen to some tunes since it auto shuts off the electrics? at least in the subaru we were in september.

also replacing the "key" is ridic expensive i hear?

i'm really wanting a car without all that crap when it comes time to get one, but afraid it's impossible at this point

they all have a backup physical key dude

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CyberPingu posted:

Hit three figgies

you probably need to replace the huge gobs of thermal paste they applied to the cpu at the factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i have a 12 mini and an rx100, and while i can take better photos with the rx100, i've taken like 10x more with my phone because it's always there.

yeah I’ve got a canon r5 with some red ring glass but I don’t use it everyday like I do my phone