Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Pro tip don't do this, if your car is found the insurance company can run the logs and be like 'Uh why did you leave your car unlocked for 8 hours after you finished driving?'

Insurance companies don't need a reason to deny a claim, that is something they do by default, given the choice. But they're obligated to cover your loss, whether or not the doors were locked or even closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Pro tip don't do this, if your car is found the insurance company can run the logs and be like 'Uh why did you leave your car unlocked for 8 hours after you finished driving?'

Assuming there’s overlap between “lovely car I want gone” and “car that keeps logs”. That’s a much more recent thing.

Pretty sure I guy I know sorta hoping for that same thing isn’t worried about his 93 grand marquis diming him out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tell your friend they can sell it for a lot more than the insurance payout, I'd be surprised if they'd get more than 1k after deductible

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

Insurance companies don't need a reason to deny a claim, that is something they do by default, given the choice. But they're obligated to cover your loss, whether or not the doors were locked or even closed.

There is no "stupidity" exclusion.

Sentient Data posted:

Tell your friend they can sell it for a lot more than the insurance payout, I'd be surprised if they'd get more than 1k after deductible

This is truth. They're going to give him salvage value minus deductible, which for something like that is probably zero.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Soysaucebeast posted:

I am one of those automated home people with all smart lights/plugs/etc and I will NEVER get keyless entry for my home. Even ignoring the fact that if the service goes out I will be locked outside my dang house, there is a non-zero chance of that poo poo getting hacked. I know it's possible to pick locks, but at least with that there's someone right up against my door that I can notice and take precautions for, vs some hacker in a van a block away. poo poo like my house or my car are way too important to have working for me to rely on some dumb app that can break.

Much like how nobody who was following the instructions given when setting up a phone key on a Tesla was locked out of their car, nobody following the directions on a smart deadbolt is going to be locked out of their house. Both are going to tell you to have the physical key on you in the event of failure, because both are intended as a supplemental unlocking mechanism, not as a replacement.

Of course, as per usual with Tesla, they brought it on themselves by trying to be as precious and magical as possible with their implementation, resulting in their customers giving it way more faith than it deserves. I’ve certainly had times with my phone key where it didn’t unlock or start my Tesla (usually because Bluetooth decides to be, well, Bluetooth), and I grumble and dredge the key card out of my wallet and am on my way. For these people to not have touched the hot pan on this in the past almost defies belief.

Regarding break-ins, I don’t know that a smart deadbolt realistically changes the math on how likely a break-in is, or how readily it could be addressed (hell, on mine, the drat thing is so loud that someone could probably pick the lock or break a window more surreptitiously, hah). Maybe that changes as adoption grows though.

I will totally agree on the point of reliance on an app - all my smart things have to have physical controls and basic operability even without connectivity.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I get as horny for gadgets as the next nerd, but I've definitely become a lot more skeptical about things being connected to the internet when they don't really need to be to function

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

I get as horny for gadgets as the next nerd, but I've definitely become a lot more skeptical about things being connected to the internet when they don't really need to be to function

I set up a new smart tv for my parents a couple of weeks ago, and holy poo poo the amount of bullshit they force on you with those now it's loving incredible.

Forced advertising, apps that can't be uninstalled or hidden (including apps that aren't in business anymore), etc.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing I've noticed, you know that motion smoothing thing on TVs that makes anything-but-live-sports look weird and juttery and wrong? They're making that poo poo hard to disable by hiding it in the settings under various submenus, always calling it something different, like they want you to be stuck with this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing I've noticed, you know that motion smoothing thing on TVs that makes anything-but-live-sports look weird and juttery and wrong? They're making that poo poo hard to disable by hiding it in the settings under various submenus, always calling it something different, like they want you to be stuck with this.

But why

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

christmas boots posted:

Hard same. I'm keeping my TV & appliances as dumb as possible for as long as possible.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Makes the in-store display model look better

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

live sports are the only reason broadcast TV still exists, so the leagues are funneling money to the TV manufacturers to make sure their poo poo looks good at the expense of streaming media is what I assume

follow the money

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hate that we've been teased with having a bit of football in 4K like the Super Bowl, because it's such a decent upgrade (even if the picture itself isn't true 4K, the superior codec and more bandwidth make a huge difference), but here we are still watching the same old crummy quality.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

christmas boots posted:

There really needs to be a compelling reason to make something "smart" beyond the oooh, aah factor. Otherwise my assumption is that it's just an excuse to charge you more for something that's going to break sooner thanks to the added electronics(or be useless if/when they stop whatever service it phones home to).

Nothing in my kitchen needs to be smart. It needs to cook/refrigerate/etc. My locks don't need to be smart, they just need to lock and unlock. My car doesn't need to be smart, it just needs to get me from point a to point b and play music from my phone.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I got a new garage motor/engine thing for my house and it came with a phone app. I was really annoyed until I realized it was just using the phone's IR blaster to work as another remote if it's within view of the garage and I could just synch a regular remote too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

(but they are probably going to have their house/apartment key anyways)
I open my attached garage door from inside my car and enter my house that way. I only carry a house key if I'm not in my own car and no one is home to let me in. I don't think that's too unusual.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I'm willing to bet this has been posted elsewhere, but it's a good fit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

I watched this last night - it's an almost two-hour documentary about the fiasco of the FastPass system in Disney theme parks.

This is not a topic I thought I would be interested in, initially. I've enjoyed other Defunctland videos in the past, but this one is, like, Jon Bois good. Strong recommend.

also, people who are obsessed with Disney vacations are loving insane

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Blue Moonlight posted:

Much like how nobody who was following the instructions given when setting up a phone key on a Tesla was locked out of their car, nobody following the directions on a smart deadbolt is going to be locked out of their house. Both are going to tell you to have the physical key on you in the event of failure, because both are intended as a supplemental unlocking mechanism, not as a replacement.

Of course, as per usual with Tesla, they brought it on themselves by trying to be as precious and magical as possible with their implementation, resulting in their customers giving it way more faith than it deserves. I’ve certainly had times with my phone key where it didn’t unlock or start my Tesla (usually because Bluetooth decides to be, well, Bluetooth), and I grumble and dredge the key card out of my wallet and am on my way. For these people to not have touched the hot pan on this in the past almost defies belief.

Regarding break-ins, I don’t know that a smart deadbolt realistically changes the math on how likely a break-in is, or how readily it could be addressed (hell, on mine, the drat thing is so loud that someone could probably pick the lock or break a window more surreptitiously, hah). Maybe that changes as adoption grows though.

I will totally agree on the point of reliance on an app - all my smart things have to have physical controls and basic operability even without connectivity.

they also tell you when you buy the car that "full self-driving" is not actually full self-driving or even partial self-driving and you need to pay attention to the road constantly to stop the stupid computer from loving up
that doesn't stop morons from hanging out in the back seat while their tesla rams full speed into a tree and instantly combusts

having fine print that says "hey btw this product is lovely don't rely on it" doesn't actually absolve you for making a lovely product. it's just legal rear end-covering

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm willing to bet this has been posted elsewhere, but it's a good fit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

I watched this last night - it's an almost two-hour documentary about the fiasco of the FastPass system in Disney theme parks.

This is not a topic I thought I would be interested in, initially. I've enjoyed other Defunctland videos in the past, but this one is, like, Jon Bois good. Strong recommend.

also, people who are obsessed with Disney vacations are loving insane

I'm not obsessed, but I went a little nuts during my first couple trips because I'd never gone as a kid. I liked fastpass very much because it could be abused to keep us on rides almost constantly with no waits.

Also, I'm not a Disney person, but I do enjoy the attention to detail and engineering behind the scenes. The history and lore of the *parks*, not the kind who has Disney stuff on their walls.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I got a fast pass for free when i went as a childe and all my mom had to do was show my autism card to the nice ticket lady
you all should try that next time, you're vaccinated aren't you?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Beachcomber posted:

Also, I'm not a Disney person, but I do enjoy the attention to detail and engineering behind the scenes. The history and lore of the *parks*, not the kind who has Disney stuff on their walls.

I'm in this boat. I'd loving loathe going to a Disney park, but I'll listen to Kevin talk about the weirdass minutia and dead attractions of them for hours.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

I'm in this boat. I'd loving loathe going to a Disney park, but I'll listen to Kevin talk about the weirdass minutia and dead attractions of them for hours.

Same, I'd pay to not go to one since I hate both crowds and hot weather, but I'll watch a Defunctland video about them any time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I got a fast pass for free when i went as a childe and all my mom had to do was show my autism card to the nice ticket lady

A card carrying autist.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They stopped doing that because people started to abuse the system.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Captain Monkey posted:

I got a new garage motor/engine thing for my house and it came with a phone app. I was really annoyed until I realized it was just using the phone's IR blaster to work as another remote if it's within view of the garage and I could just synch a regular remote too.

What? I've never heard of an infrared garage door remote, are you quite sure?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

They stopped doing that because people started to abuse the system.

Yeah it became a mini industry where rich people would pay a service who would then provide a disabled person to get around waiting in lines.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it became a mini industry where rich people would pay a service who would then provide a disabled person to get around waiting in lines.

This is touched upon in the video, briefly.

I have my own assumptions and conclusions, but I would like to read someone smarter and better-researched than I laying out exactly why and how the Disney theme parks break so many people's brains so unerringly and precisely.

I've read about gambling addiction and modern slot machine design and etc., and without spoiling too much, it sounds like FastPass+ was intentionally cribbing from that intermittent payout model, but the experiences don't map 1:1. People are money-flushingly broke-brained for Disney and Disney specifically in a way that is both really gross and also sort of fascinating.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'd like to see a dive into that too. It feels like it must be more complicated than 'Disney spends an obscene amount of money making sure they mean 'happiness' to people'.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BMan posted:

What? I've never heard of an infrared garage door remote, are you quite sure?

I am not. I just assumed that it used whatever ability the phone has to send signals to activate the garage door instead of going to the internet and back, especially since I never hooked it up to wifi or anything

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
edit: nevermind apparently this was fake

Memento has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Nov 25, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Captain Monkey posted:

I am not. I just assumed that it used whatever ability the phone has to send signals to activate the garage door instead of going to the internet and back, especially since I never hooked it up to wifi or anything

Right, it's probably bluetooth then

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BMan posted:

Right, it's probably bluetooth then

this is just lazy trolling right?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Soysaucebeast posted:

I am one of those automated home people with all smart lights/plugs/etc and I will NEVER get keyless entry for my home. Even ignoring the fact that if the service goes out I will be locked outside my dang house, there is a non-zero chance of that poo poo getting hacked. I know it's possible to pick locks, but at least with that there's someone right up against my door that I can notice and take precautions for, vs some hacker in a van a block away. poo poo like my house or my car are way too important to have working for me to rely on some dumb app that can break.

Keycode locks are great. No such thing as forgetting your key, or losing your key, or having to carry a key everywhere.

Need to let a friend in, but nobody's home? No worry, just give them the code and change it later.

I would never get a smart one though.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
You can do "smart" home completely disconnected from the Internet, it just requires picking the right hardware. I've set up a few things that mostly remind me of the status of stuff, like leaving the door unlocked or a window open, rather than actively doing anything about it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I have to walk through an excessive number of barriers and gateways to access my Get Smart home.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I saw smart house, I know how this poo poo ends

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I keep my house as disconnected as possible because I don't want to live inside something more intelligent than me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Captain Hygiene posted:

I keep my house as disconnected as possible because I don't want to live inside something more intelligent than me

Couldn't handle a house built with brick I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I actually like this marketing move. It's fifty years since homosexuality was decriminalized in Norway and to celebrate that the mail service made a commercial about a man falling in love with Santa:
https://twitter.com/DMReporter/status/1463544981075988489