Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just got to see the "Ann goes to model for Yusuke" scene. There's probably been a lot of talk about how it all goes down but ultimately I ended up just being amused by the whole thing because their constant use of the word "nude" when most people would use "naked." It made me think of the Game Grumps playthrough of TTYD with Mario repeatedly asking Flurry "Are you nude?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Persona 4 was a hit from the very beginning, right? God knows I heard so much about it for years and years before I played it and also before Golden was released.

But it came out on the PS2...in 2008. It came out a month after MGS4 on the PS3 and years after the Xbox 360 was released.

Some people have attributed Final Fantasy IX's (relatively) lackluster reception to coming out at the end of the PS1's lifespan and with the PS2 right around the corner. P4 became a hit when the next gen of consoles were in full swing and had been for a while.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was more of a cult classic then an actual hit, it got a lot more popular with word of mouth, and good press from things like the P4 endurance run on Giant Bomb

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I remember buying P4 because Spoony said it was the best JRPG he'd ever played, and that grabbed my interest. Back before his life spiraled into self-destruction.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It got great reviews. I had played Digital Devil Saga and 3 so I was already on board and made sure to pre-order since PS2 Atlus games got scarce and then expensive quick.

Edit: I forgot Persona 3, P3: FES, and Persona 4 all came out within two years... they should have just kept making PS2 games. :v:

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 1, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Those PS2 days were wild. Atlus made a bunch of demon models for Nocturne and went "I mean we're not not going to reuse these a bunch more times" and went on to release two Digital Devil Saga games followed shortly by Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 in just a four-year span. What a time to like JRPGs that was.

I naively hoped that we'd get a Persona 6 not too long after Persona 5 at first but then I realized that Persona 5's assets, aside from the demon models they made for the shadows, are probably too bespoke to just be quickly repurposed into a Persona 6. Even the spell animations have a bit too much Persona 5-specific flair to be transplanted wholesale into a new setting--which is a very good thing for Persona 5, don't get me wrong, the distinct visual style of everything down to the lowest-level spell animations is a huge strength of the game.

Side note, but after playing SMTV, one of my wishes for Persona 6 is that it keeps the little touches that made Persona 5's combat flow so quickly and smoothly. Persona 5's combat menus (press a face button for a specific action rather than navigating a menu to open the skills menu, for example) and the little touch of pre-summoning personas as soon as you open the skill menu are fantastic. By contrast, SMTV's combat menuing and animations feel sluggish, and while you can mash A to skip most combat animations, I'd rather have quick, snappy animations like Persona 5's that I don't feel the need to skip in the first place. SMTV is an incredible game but I can't help but wish it had some of that faster, smoother Persona 5 pacing to its combat. (That's also something SMTIII and IV did better than V, even.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 1, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

Those PS2 days were wild. Atlus made a bunch of demon models for Nocturne and went "I mean we're not not going to reuse these a bunch more times" and went on to release two Digital Devil Saga games followed shortly by Persona 3, Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 in just a four-year span. What a time to like JRPGs that was.

I naively hoped that we'd get a Persona 6 not too long after Persona 5 at first but then I realized that Persona 5's assets, aside from the demon models they made for the shadows, are probably too bespoke to just be quickly repurposed into a Persona 6. Even the spell animations have a bit too much Persona 5-specific flair to be transplanted wholesale into a new setting--which is a very good thing for Persona 5, don't get me wrong, the distinct visual style of everything down to the lowest-level spell animations is a huge strength of the game.

Side note, but after playing SMTV, one of my wishes for Persona 6 is that it keeps the little touches that made Persona 5's combat flow so quickly and smoothly. Persona 5's combat menus (press a face button for a specific action rather than navigating a menu to open the skills menu, for example) and the little touch of pre-summoning personas as soon as you open the skill menu are fantastic. By contrast, SMTV's combat menuing and animations feel sluggish, and while you can mash A to skip most combat animations, I'd rather have quick, snappy animations like Persona 5's that I don't feel the need to skip in the first place. SMTV is an incredible game but I can't help but wish it had some of that faster, smoother Persona 5 pacing to its combat. (That's also something SMTIII and IV did better than V, even.)

Not even a mention of the Raidou games?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poo poo I knew I forgot something!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My first real SMT game after beating Persona 4 was Strange Journey, and it remains my favorite. Just something about "We're going to go into enemy territory and kick their asses off our world" that I really liked, along with all you cool friends that gave you sweet new technology throughout the game.

Zelenin sucked though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My best friends uncle was a turbo weeb when that still meant something, dude got me into Berserk, Megaten, and MTG. Dude was legit, I'm embarrassed my younger self actually argued with him that FF7 was better than Nocturne.

My bro never got into it, but once hanging at his house me and his uncle got deep into Nocturne, I was loving terrible at it, but he had gotten every ending and poo poo and would just bust my rear end out of any problem spots. I forgot about the series for years after that, until P3P came out. I beat that poo poo, and jumped on 4 and rediscovered Nocturne soon after, then I went looking at all the HG101 articles about the rest of the series and watched Dragonatrix's SMTI let's Play. Fast forward and I've beaten nearly all the mainline in English and the series is easily my second favorite series of games.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

My best friends uncle was a turbo weeb when that still meant something, dude got me into Berserk, Megaten, and MTG. Dude was legit, I'm embarrassed my younger self actually argued with him that FF7 was better than Nocturne.

I mean, I really like Nocturne, but I think this is a pretty fair take even today. Parts of Nocturne really haven't aged well. Parts of FF7 haven't either, but they've kind of aged into "that's a little chunky" more than "that's kind of just hostile and unfun". A good friend of mine is playing through the Nocturne remaster cold, first time ever playing a mainline SMT game, and it is basically a box of sharp edges and minimally explained mechanics. And it's all stuff where I'm just like "it do, in fact, be like that" when I'm playing through it because I've become inured to it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nocturne's got a lot of atmosphere but it doesn't really have much of a story. People still say "SMT games don't have a story" and I suspect that's a fair part of why.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFVII vs. Nocturne really depends on what your criteria are. It's like, I don't care for the movie Aliens one bit because I think it's all so generic. But it's generic now because Aliens made it so. People will kind of sneer at "FFVII is great" but only because FFVII was so great that it revolutionized JRPGs forever and thus it became the cliche.

A much younger me was bitter about how games like Xenogears weren't as famous as FFVII. Couldn't these plebs just see how much better XG was?! Nocturne is a good game, just like Xenogears is, but there are perfectly legitimate reasons why FFVII is the best-selling (non Pokemon) JRPG ever while neither of those games are even close. Doesn't make them bad, just....niche.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, I forgot how amazing the juxtaposition of the bad news and the setting is after the Okumara palace.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

mastajake posted:

Man, I forgot how amazing the juxtaposition of the bad news and the setting is after the Okumara palace.

They kind of lay the foreshadowing on too thick for the juxtaposition to be as effective as it could be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Geostomp posted:

They kind of lay the foreshadowing on too thick for the juxtaposition to be as effective as it could be.

I half agree but in a game where bad poo poo is constantly happening to you, having easily the nicest time with your friends could not end with anything other than massive drama and horror

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gaius Marius posted:

watched Dragonatrix's SMTI let's Play

:negative: I'm sorry. Still my least favorite one I've done overall in hindsight.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I didn't read all of it but I liked what I did. :unsmith:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Just revealed at the Game Awards: P4AU coming to Steam, Switch, and PS4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DanielCross posted:

gently caress YEEEEEEEEEEEEAH IT'S HAPPENING BOYS

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

DanielCross posted:

Hell yes, I was just complaining about this game being trapped on the PS3 the other day

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
But I dont like fighting games

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Where the gently caress is p5 royal? I swear atlus has a drat 10 year exclusivity deal with Sony. So annoying.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Tired Moritz posted:

But I dont like fighting games

:same:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DanielCross posted:

Protein.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Wait isn't P4AU a direct sequel to P4A? Why this one and not the first one? Am I missing something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gimme the rhythm game

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

roomtwofifteen posted:

Wait isn't P4AU a direct sequel to P4A? Why this one and not the first one? Am I missing something

Ultimax had the story mode of the first game as dlc so maybe that'll be included in this release.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

IIRC the first game's story mode was dlc for Ultimax so maybe it'll be the same here.

Also, more importantly, no one wants to play the original over Ultimax

e;fb

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

Ultimax had the story mode of the first game as dlc so maybe that'll be included in this release.

Checked the Steam page and it had this: "Ultimax Version - Includes all previously released Persona 4 Arena Ultimax content, including the original Persona 4 Arena story"

That solves that!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

roomtwofifteen posted:

They couldn't obtain the license for Labrys' accent.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

roomtwofifteen posted:

Checked the Steam page and it had this: "Ultimax Version - Includes all previously released Persona 4 Arena Ultimax content, including the original Persona 4 Arena story"

That solves that!
Yeah if it's including the P4A story DLC there's literally no reason to port the first Arena because Ultimax has all of its content, IIRC.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Mirello posted:

Where the gently caress is p5 royal? I swear atlus has a drat 10 year exclusivity deal with Sony. So annoying.

Count yourself lucky if they don't put out Persona 5 regular edition like with Catherine.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The P4A story was so much better than P4AU's it's bizarre. Like I think the only parts of P4AU's story I liked was Junpei sleeping on the train and him/Yukari getting extremely confused about Teddie.

Also I guess Mitsuru's maid blew up a helicopter or something.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe this is the leadup to a P5A. It's just as likely that Atlus is throwing old games up onto whatever storefronts that they can in order to make a quick buck, but a man can dream.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don't understand how Persona 4G can get a PC release, but not a console or switch release. Atlus released Strikers on Switch/PS4, why not P4G? Or hell even a P5 Royal port would be neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1469247568429436929?t=ayWEkkBi2NfMhc0_7rQKJA&s=19

Holy poo poo, they're finally releasing the full version of Colors Flying High

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

https://twitter.com/ScrambledFaz/status/1469247568429436929?t=ayWEkkBi2NfMhc0_7rQKJA&s=19

Holy poo poo, they're finally releasing the full version of Colors Flying High

:eyepop:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I don't know what Akechi thought would happen. He just challenged me to a duel after we'd made it to the treasure in Sae's palace together, and he knows that "my persona" is Shiki-Ouji because it's been my main persona since I fused it and was the only one I used in Sae's palace or our shared Mementos run. It's immune to literally all his elements except almighty. Possibly he just hadn't seen it hit by anything except wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

neonchameleon posted:

I don't know what Akechi thought would happen. He just challenged me to a duel after we'd made it to the treasure in Sae's palace together, and he knows that "my persona" is Shiki-Ouji because it's been my main persona since I fused it and was the only one I used in Sae's palace or our shared Mementos run. It's immune to literally all his elements except almighty. Possibly he just hadn't seen it hit by anything except wind.

He does have access to some almighty attacks.