Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
macos has terrible workspaces, they rearrange themselves spontaneously when you alt-tab between applications which makes them basically useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Khorne posted:

when did KDE get good??? outside of not having some hotkeys set for workspace switches out of the box & having some dumb widgets I clicked "remove" on from the taskbar... it's really good. Manjaro's breath2 2021 theme is solid outside of the mid 90s themed titlebars but those are linux tradition.

sincerely, a terminal gnome3 user who got sick of it having trash performance on io limited & low power hardware.

The only bad functionality of KDE so far has been that the digital clock is unreadable on a vertical taskbar. I'm sure I will have more complaints about how workspaces work with multiple monitors if I try it on a desktop or with an external monitor. MacOS has the best implementation I've seen (each monitor has separate sets of workspaces that don't switch together). The rest of MacOS sucks though.

like 5 years ago

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://store.kde.org/p/998901/
https://store.kde.org/p/1324315

either of these will let you do whatever the gently caress you want with the clock so you can do HH in row 1 and mm in row 2 easily

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

macos has terrible workspaces, they rearrange themselves spontaneously when you alt-tab between applications which makes them basically useless.

uncheck an option and it doesn’t rearrange based on recent use

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Khorne posted:

when did KDE get good???

Plasma has been genuinely pleasant to use for a few years now.

There's a weekly blog that consists almost entirely of QOL changes for plasma, and it's pretty neat: https://pointieststick.com/2021/11/19/this-week-in-kde-most-of-gnome-shell-in-the-overview-effect/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lol at using magic numbers in the year 2021 when they've been an anti-pattern since when fortran was new

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Do you have opinions on the application of a recursive socket tree as well?

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

PCMFBIA in 2021? I thought all PCMFBIA shops had switched to HWICSUG by now, which is itself bad enough when compared to modern alternatives like CPPDogDog-(for Rust).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I prefer CPPDogDog-Go, FWIW

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

lol at using magic numbers in the year 2021 when they've been an anti-pattern since when fortran was new

who needs magic numbers when we've already discovered the ultimate data format: json. endian? why would i want to do that, i've never even met ian

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Khorne posted:

when did KDE get good??? outside of not having some hotkeys set for workspace switches out of the box & having some dumb widgets I clicked "remove" on from the taskbar... it's really good. Manjaro's breath2 2021 theme is solid outside of the mid 90s themed titlebars but those are linux tradition.

sincerely, a terminal gnome3 user who got sick of it having trash performance on io limited & low power hardware.

The only bad functionality of KDE so far has been that the digital clock is unreadable on a vertical taskbar. I'm sure I will have more complaints about how workspaces work with multiple monitors if I try it on a desktop or with an external monitor. MacOS has the best implementation I've seen (each monitor has separate sets of workspaces that don't switch together). The rest of MacOS sucks though.

IMO the best desktop Linux experience is KDE Neon/kubuntu (which it's based on). The control panel is extremely well integrated with the rest of the OS, and it's entirely possible to use it without ever needing a root shell.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Nomnom Cookie posted:

who needs magic numbers when we've already discovered the ultimate data format: json. endian? why would i want to do that, i've never even met ian

Looking forward to the author hauling people into court for license violations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
kde 4 was an absolute disaster so i'm happy to see that they're slowly but surely climbing out of that crater

it takes some real effort to be worse than guh-nome 3.0 but they managed it

i wonder if there's a kde 5 skin that makes it look like :allears: beos :allears: yet? that was my favorite aspect of kde 2 by far

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

who needs magic numbers when we've already discovered the ultimate data format: json.
who needs to be able to understand error messages, anyway? surely they're completely pointless and should just be discarded by pressing ok as fast as humanly possible

Nomnom Cookie posted:

endian? why would i want to do that, i've never even met ian
Ian Lepore, a FreeBSD committer and someone I talked with quite a bit over the years, passed away recently - so this cuts a bit too close. :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

who needs to be able to understand error messages, anyway? surely they're completely pointless and should just be discarded by pressing ok as fast as humanly possible

it's a nonsense error message made up for illustration purposes :thejoke:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
KDE always honks me off because the general UX is pleasant but I've never had it not crash regularly and in weird ways. Every few years I try Kubuntu again, enjoy it, then switch back to Xfce for stability reasons.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I bought a System76 for my new gig. It's pretty good but there's totally a fan rattle that's really annoying at certain RPMs. It's also clearly some rebrand of a Chinese manufacturer but the build quality is mostly pretty solid. I've never had a laptop where the OS was this closely tied to the hardware and it's pretty cool.

I've only had Lenovos recently for comparison and the build quality isn't as good as those, but again, the smooth software integration is really nice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
system76 is kind of a lovely actor in the linux space

https://blogs.gnome.org/christopherdavis/2021/11/10/system76-how-not-to-collaborate/

not as bad as some of the stuff ubuntu does but they're still quite parasitic and spread lies about other projects on top of that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

system76 is kind of a lovely actor in the linux space

https://blogs.gnome.org/christopherdavis/2021/11/10/system76-how-not-to-collaborate/

not as bad as some of the stuff ubuntu does but they're still quite parasitic and spread lies about other projects on top of that.
i wonder how many times we have to go through this before we learn that corporations are not the friends of opensource

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"open source" itself is a corporate neologism designed to domesticate the free software movement and counter some of its more anti-capitalist tendencies

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

"open source" itself is a corporate neologism designed to domesticate the free software movement and counter some of its more anti-capitalist tendencies
and the free software movement leads to open sores, so it's full circle

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Looking at system 76's website I'm left with one question: Will hardwood panels replace tempered glass in hi tech fashion? My HAF 912 is still chugging along, but the black quasi-militaristic aesthetic makes me feel pretty dated, kinda like an avacado green fridge.

Should I hold out for one glass and one hardwood panel on either side? Are they refinishable so I can make it match my dad's 1976 pioneer stereo reciever?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
mate nothing good came out of the 70s, least of all wood panelling

remember that time microsoft put carpet on one of their surface brand computers

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was looking at system76 earlier today since newjob allows either dell or system76 for linux laptops

closed the tab after i noticed the system76 models all still used barrel adapters for power, when i'm trying to get everything onto usbc

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i mean even lenovo, who are probably still selling models with vga ports to this day, have usbc power

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

it's kinda late to be adding it now, but it's pretty safe to assume that if i'm talking about opensource, i mean the kind of source code that's so open a line containing the ntty struct from 1980 (before the free software movement existed) can survive to this day completely unaltered or slightly changed.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Looking at system 76's website I'm left with one question: Will hardwood panels replace tempered glass in hi tech fashion? My HAF 912 is still chugging along, but the black quasi-militaristic aesthetic makes me feel pretty dated, kinda like an avacado green fridge.

Should I hold out for one glass and one hardwood panel on either side? Are they refinishable so I can make it match my dad's 1976 pioneer stereo reciever?
are you lgr?

that being said, i do think there's room for a lot more interesting designs than exist in the current market

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

I've always considered open source to be "software that you can contribute to and build from" and free software to be "software that will make non-male colleagues put together a list of ways to avoid having to interact with you"

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
open source is "hey what's up dudes s'cool if we take your work and just go ahead and like uhh charge money for it and stuff LOL also build our own closed source venture capital backed product around it haha? we're not into any of that nerdy political beard and protests free palestine stuff hehe we're just chill dudes who like to sip some brews and slam down some code just like you!"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sapozhnik posted:

open source is "hey what's up dudes s'cool if we take your work and just go ahead and like uhh charge money for it and stuff LOL also build our own closed source venture capital backed product around it haha? we're not into any of that nerdy political beard and protests free palestine stuff hehe we're just chill dudes who like to sip some brews and slam down some code just like you!"

Open source is fine, this is a licensing issue

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"free" software is a plague that generates the worst humans in existence.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if it's not permissive it's not free

mystes
May 31, 2006

Free software?

No, lock up software.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

framework laptop is more linux than anything system76 sells

mystes
May 31, 2006

for someone reason the framework laptop makes me think of one of those linux airplane jokes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I bought a tricked out system76 tower about 8 or so years ago. After the warranty ran out, 3/4ths of the ram slots died and one of the two onboard ethernet ports gave up the ghost.

By comparison, the dell and hp computers are still chugging along just fine.

I will never buy system76 again. Maybe they got better but Dell has always had relatively good computers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

:argh: codebros

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I used to make money writing open sores software. current gig isn’t interested in it though

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Free software is great. Don't like the license? Don't use it. I'll never get tired of reading and watching the "Don't license your code GPL" schmick in content targeted to new coders.

Only reason that poisoned apple grew to look so drat delicious was because of the poison.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Free software is great. Don't like the license? Don't use it.

Or just use it anyways because what are they gonna do about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

Or just use it anyways because what are they gonna do about it?