Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SO DEMANDING posted:

the best was fulfilling your piracy needs at LAN parties

at a couple parties there was this one regular who'd always bring his big honkin' multi-TB server (which was crazy in the early 2000s). ftp only, no smb. i think there was a cracked copy of flashfxp in the root directory, so just hop on through a web browser to grab that and then leech all day all night.

yeah, file sharing was such a part of those LAN parties, especially back when internet connections were a lot slower. i was on dialup until like 2004 so the LANs at places with broadband were times when i could get to experience fast web browsing, or even grab movies off of DC or WinMX.

but i definitely remember late night when people started nodding off being the time to just start copying poo poo from each others' SMB shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kenny Logins posted:

i remember downzilla

GetRight

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

idgi

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bump_fn posted:

only one where people all brought their own computers usually we just went to the dude w all the computers in his creepy basements house

one more than me then :clint:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i have also never played a tabletop rpg

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shocking lack of "pussy cow" :corsair:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

don't sign your posts

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

huh. i guess im a socal person even though i dont like the red hot chili peppers

i finally got fully on the avocado train (from "theyre fine" to "gently caress yeah") a year or so ago when i _actually_ looked up the nutrition information. before then id thought they were way, way more calorie dense than they are

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cjs: the lead programmers girlfriend apparently spent like 20 minutes trying to get him to get me to be a tech sales peep

"was that like, induced from my poo poo code or something"

"no she saw your jokes on slack"

theyre not even good jokes, who the gently caress makes good jokes at work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
funny people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
exactly, and i aint one of em

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ABF

always be funny

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

thats just how low the bar is for tech humor

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

10 programmers walk into a bar. they say "table for 2 please"

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

PokeJoe posted:

10 programmers walk into a bar. they say "table for 2 please"

:getout:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

10 engineers walk into a bar. they say "wheres the iron ring bitch"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
three programmers walk into a bar. the fourth one is 5'9"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PokeJoe posted:

10 engineers walk into a bar. they say "wheres the iron ring bitch"

it's not even a cool ring but it's there

my SIL has one and it's neat - she does water and dam stuff- i love her

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PokeJoe posted:

thats just how low the bar is for tech humor

also interpersonal skills/emotional intelligence/whatever

it's shocking how low the bar is

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

3 programmers walk int-

Segmentation Fault
Core Dumped
$

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah, file sharing was such a part of those LAN parties, especially back when internet connections were a lot slower. i was on dialup until like 2004 so the LANs at places with broadband were times when i could get to experience fast web browsing, or even grab movies off of DC or WinMX.

but i definitely remember late night when people started nodding off being the time to just start copying poo poo from each others' SMB shares.

lol high five because my parents place converted from dialup in the 2000s and the internet speeds often drop down that low

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Two programmers walk an array

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Vintersorg posted:

it's not even a cool ring but it's there

my SIL has one and it's neat - she does water and dam stuff- i love her

hydrological and hydrodynamical?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1463213116943060997

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cjs: review went better than the standalone block of manager comments seemed to be. my manager's writing style is... blunt.

asked for fifteen percent and was told that it seems doable, actual numbers to come. hopefully I'll get at least twelve

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Kazinsal posted:

asked for fifteen percent and was told that it seems doable, actual numbers to come. hopefully I'll get at least twelve

:toot:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
cjs: early days but I think newgig is gonna be way less stressful than the last one. They have processes. And direction. And market share.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a car dealership jingle that is an earworm across southern california.

the existence of this jingle is apparently why the ship in lower decks is named the Cerritos :eng101:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1463654977646174214

+5, insightful

this is the same reason marky z is such a gently caress

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sagebrush posted:

https://twitter.com/djbaskin/status/1463654977646174214

+5, insightful

this is the same reason marky z is such a gently caress

He has all the friends he needs........ in the metaverse

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cls: first orange chicken night in the new place.

vacuumed out the loft in the garage from where the roofers made a mess.

my next project is gonna be to restore/improve the workbench under it. i will be asking yospos for tips and general wtf-to-dos so stay tuned!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a full tower server walks into a bar, and the bartender says “why the long case?”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

did you hear the one about the computer programmer that was really bad at documentation? when his boss asked him what the problem was all he said was “no comment”.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

beep

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

something something astronauts at the space bar

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hbag posted:

jackett is so dogshit that redacted.ch will ban your rear end for using it

redacted.ch is, essentially, the new what.cd
i got in by doing the interview on IRC but if you know a guy you could probably get an invite that way
once you reach power user you get access to the invites forum and then youre pretty much set when it comes to other trackers

I miss waffles.fm and what.cd so, so much

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont miss them in the least. i have a redacted account and dont use it b/c its dogshit nerds that upload country music flacs all day for ratio. my accounts disabled and i just SuBmItTeD a ReAcTiVaTiOn reQuEsT for comedy reasons. anything good that i want is on slsk anyways. will report back.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

CPColin posted:

Shocking lack of "pussy cow" :corsair:
I will be writing a strongly-worded letter

Achmed Jones posted:

huh. i guess im a socal person even though i dont like the red hot chili peppers
I have lived here all of my delightfully degenerate life and I can't fuckin stand them. The only nice thing I can say about them is that they're not Sublime.

shoeberto posted:

cjs: early days but I think newgig is gonna be way less stressful than the last one. They have processes. And direction. And market share.
:same: except for the processes

Today mine moved me to contract full-time, salary after 3 months. I'm this close to once more living in s society :parrot:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I have lived here all of my delightfully degenerate life and I can't fuckin stand them. The only nice thing I can say about them is that they're not Sublime.

see, this is why we get along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the chili peppers chemistry resides in the man love between kiedis and flea. the rest of the whole construct is throwaway

sublime was also terrible.