Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Al-Bayt Stadium in Al Khor City, Qatar, 2019

I chose the Drugs tag because even residual drug possession like having a tiny bit of weed on the bottom of your shoe is one of the many things that can get you imprisoned, deported, or executed.

Anyway, here is the Qatar Qomplaints Qontainment Qrew, or QQQQ, or :qq::qq:, your one stop shop for talking about all the horrible stuff going on at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. We're now one year away from the world's first-ever winter World Cup, which is already terrible in its own way, but to add insult to injury it is being held in a tiny theocratic dictatorship in the middle of the desert with no footballing history that blatantly won the bid through enormous bribery and lies about things like artificial clouds and carbon-neutral open-stadium air conditioning and shipping the stadiums to poor countries after the World Cup ends, to the point that all the people in charge of FIFA at the time have since been arrested, but nevertheless the Qatar World Cup rolls on.

Players have expressed hesitation about going or contemplated doing some kind of human rights protest, fans have worried they might die in the heat (hence the shift to holding it in November) or be arrested or executed for being LGBT or drinking alcohol, building the infrastructure for a World Cup in a tiny desert with no stadiums is estimated to have cost up to 6,500 migrant workers their lives, many of them working in slave-labour conditions with their passports confiscated so they can't go home to escape imminent death. Here's a passage from a recent CNN report on it:

quote:

Since 2010, migrant workers have faced delayed or unpaid wages, forced labor, long hours in hot weather, employer intimidation and an inability to leave their jobs because of the country's sponsorship system, human rights organizations have found.

Barun Ghimire is a human rights lawyer based in Kathmandu, whose Nepal work primarily focuses on the exploitation of Nepalese migrants working abroad.

Labor migration from Nepal is deeply concentrated in Gulf countries, Qatar encompassing the highest percentage in 2018 and 2019. And in Qatar, Nepalis are the second largest ethnic group of migrant workers, after Indians.

Ghimire told CNN the plight of Nepalese labor workers is "particularly grievous in the Gulf."

He has been documenting migrant worker abuse in Qatar long before it won the rights to host the World Cup. But in the 10 years since, he says he has received a "significantly high chunk" of complaints from Nepalese workers living there.

"Every other day, you would hear a story."

Most migrant workers, he added, come from poverty, and aren't well educated, making them vulnerable and easy targets for exploitation.

Ghimire recounts setting up crowdfunding campaigns to help workers fly back to Nepal, because they never received their salaries.

"Migrant workers from the poorest of countries go to Qatar seeking employment," he said. "But when they get there, there's this tragic event that happens that's like the case of blood diamonds. The Qatar World Cup is really the bloody cup -- the blood of migrant workers."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/09/football/qatar-world-cup-2022-workers-rights-spt-intl/index.html

But despite all this, the Qatar World Cup rolls on.

That all said, the big rival for Qatar's bid was the United States, which would have subjected us to 12 years of discussion about the capacity of NFL stadiums, so it's impossible to say if Qatar's bribery and atrocious human rights record was bad or not.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to try and bring together all the discussion about how horrible the Qatar World Cup is so that it doesn't inevitably take over every other thread and prevent us from also talking about the football when the time comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Good OP.

Bad WC

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Good OP.

Bad WC

Just remembered the artificial clouds lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the sex ghost posted:

Qatar 2022 brought to you by Dahir Insaat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idC5I7aDnI

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
- Not sure which nation has the record for world cup arrests but England Lads On Tour is going to break it on the first day

- At least one footballer will be detained by police for scoring and taking his shirt off to reveal a migrant solidarity message

- One teams hotel won't be finished by the time they arrive

- There will be at least a 30 minute half time show for the final

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Old man yells at artificial clouds.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

They had a sort of aircon system in one of the stadiums for some athletics there (world championships, maybe?) and apparently it worked ok for that, but I very much doubt they would do any good for people running around on the grass rather than the track.

I think we'll see some protests from players/teams and a lot of discussion in the run up to and during the tournament, but I don't think it'll really do anything. The tournament will happen and afterwards, most will forget all about it. Maybe I'm being over cynical, but that's how it's worked for any other major sporting events held in questionable environments. The world will be shown a total lie about life in the country during those 4 weeks and then we'll move on.

On a less serious note, Jonathan Wilson said on FW recently that it's already impossible to find accommodation in Doha, because most stadiums are accessible from there. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out. They were talking about bringing in some cruise ships to accommodate people, but I fail to see how that's going to make a dent in the problem. So many fans in such a small area could be spicy, too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mickolution posted:

They had a sort of aircon system in one of the stadiums for some athletics there (world championships, maybe?) and apparently it worked ok for that, but I very much doubt they would do any good for people running around on the grass rather than the track.

I think we'll see some protests from players/teams and a lot of discussion in the run up to and during the tournament, but I don't think it'll really do anything. The tournament will happen and afterwards, most will forget all about it. Maybe I'm being over cynical, but that's how it's worked for any other major sporting events held in questionable environments. The world will be shown a total lie about life in the country during those 4 weeks and then we'll move on.

On a less serious note, Jonathan Wilson said on FW recently that it's already impossible to find accommodation in Doha, because most stadiums are accessible from there. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out. They were talking about bringing in some cruise ships to accommodate people, but I fail to see how that's going to make a dent in the problem. So many fans in such a small area could be spicy, too.

It's worth noting that Russia estimated they had close to 3 million foreign tourists during the World Cup in 2018: https://tass.com/sport/1012057

Qatar is hoping to attract 1.2 million: https://www.firstpost.com/sports/fifa-world-cup-2022-qatar-hopes-to-attract-1-2-million-visitors-for-showpiece-event-10080461.html

Qatar's entire population is 2.8 million, so if they attracted as many tourists as Russia did then there would be enormous pressure on the country's ability to house people. A few cruise ships aren't going to make a dent in that.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The Qatar GP had something around 8000 people at the track for one of the final races of what is the most exciting F1 season in a decade. It was like a loving funeral. I know the pandemic had a lot to do with that but I can’t imagine things are going to be much better in a year. Hard to predict what travel restrictions, if any more than usual, will be in place.

Looking forward to a lot of matches looking like a mid table match at the end of a season in Serie B.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I hope everyone that stays in those Qruises gets a stomach bug and it turns into a nightmare poop boat like the one cruise

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The 2022 WC is absolutely going to suck. I don't even understand why Qatar wanted it, all they get is bad press and a poo poo time. Over a decade of huge works and thousands of slaves killed for something the local population doesn't give two figs about and will be over in a month.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Flayer posted:

The 2022 WC is absolutely going to suck. I don't even understand why Qatar wanted it, all they get is bad press and a poo poo time. Over a decade of huge works and thousands of slaves killed for something the local population doesn't give two figs about and will be over in a month.

lol if you think Qatar wanting the world cup has anything to do with the local population instead of the ruling class waving their dicks around

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Bogan Krkic posted:

lol if you think Qatar wanting the world cup has anything to do with the local population instead of the ruling class waving their dicks around
Well obviously but you have to wonder what on earth this particular stunt achieved in that regard. Was it to make MBS grumpy for a day? Qatars international prestige has surely been sullied by this whole debacle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Flayer posted:

Well obviously but you have to wonder what on earth this particular stunt achieved in that regard. Was it to make MBS grumpy for a day? Qatars international prestige has surely been sullied by this whole debacle.

MBS wasn't even on the scene when Qatar won the World Cup back in 2010. Independent of transient politics like who's in charge of your neighbour, hosting events like the World Cup is entirely just a way to build prestige for elites in authoritarian states with functionally limitless income and no obligation to use that money to better the lives of those beneath them.

I think they did not realize how much backlash there would be to the obvious bribery and corruption, and considering how FIFA had operated in the years and decades leading up to the bidding it doesn't surprise me that they thought they would get away with it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The corrupt Qatari World Cup will just push the game back into the honest responsible hands of the humble local club

So I'm looking forward to the European Super League in 2024. Featuring Barcelona, PSG, Juventus and Spurs

edit: Daily Mail, I'll take standard rates for this article

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

Like Bogan Krkic said, it's a dick waving contest between them and their neighbours, none of whom care about human rights, etc.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
How is the QMNT getting on anyway. I remember a lot of talk that they were planning to get as many uncapped players from other countries to move there to become naturalised qatari citizens but presumably that didn't happen. Are we going to see levels of host nation result rigging not seen since South Korea in 2002

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

the sex ghost posted:

How is the QMNT getting on anyway. I remember a lot of talk that they were planning to get as many uncapped players from other countries to move there to become naturalised qatari citizens but presumably that didn't happen. Are we going to see levels of host nation result rigging not seen since South Korea in 2002
It's a team that recently drew with Luxembourg so the match fixing will have to surpass anything ever seen thus far

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

They're current Asian champions, but seem to have had a terrible record recently, so who knows.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I watched them play as a guest in the last North American tournament and they weren’t terrible. They got to the semi finals and only lost to the US on a very late goal in regulation.

Honestly I think they’ll put in a decent group stage and maybe even get out of it but that’ll be the end of it. If they progress beyond the first knockout I’d get suspicious but they aren’t absolutely embarrassing by any means.

The team is mostly actual Qataris and not 8 Brazilians and a rich kid.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

. Are we going to see levels of host nation result rigging not seen since South Korea in 2002

God I hope we see Italy getting jobbed out to the Qataris in the ro16

Sorry GD

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry GD

Lol we won’t even be there

I am glad everyone has finally accepted that we got robbed.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry GD

It would be their first knockout World Cup came since the 2006 final. Mental.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
im Qay

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
QMNT sounds like a dodgy Chinese television brand that you can buy 3 for $1000 on AliEpxress.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Quad Quay, Quo Quat?

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
The QMNT played ok in the Gold Cup against the likes of Grenada and the USA, but have been complete rear end since then. Even if they draw an easy World Cup group (can you imagine?) they'll still get stomped by any half decent teams from Europe, South America, or Africa, inshallah.
They're still naturalizing players but from the Arab world rather than Brazil so it's not as obvious lmao

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Backdoor Delivery posted:

The QMNT played ok in the Gold Cup against the likes of Grenada and the USA, but have been complete rear end since then. Even if they draw an easy World Cup group (can you imagine?) they'll still get stomped by any half decent teams from Europe, South America, or Africa, inshallah.
They're still naturalizing players but from the Arab world rather than Brazil so it's not as obvious lmao

African players too right? They have that academy system that exists to bring talent from economically hosed nations to Qatar where they play for a while and get naturalized if they’re good enough.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspire_Academy

“At least” it’s mostly younger players that can legitimately say they grew up in Qatar rather than some dude who needed a big paycheck at 30 years old.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Doha is extremely poo poo, even by Gulf standards.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Can't wait for a world cup during the busiest loving hell time of the year and not in awesome take every afternoon off or gently caress it let's just watch it in the conference room summer.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Looked up flights for this out of sheer naked curiosity and it appears to be a no go from the beginning. Hilarious they're hosting the biggest sporting occasion in the world in a place that's the size of Bristol.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Hoping for stadiums to have a WWE style wall of tellies for fans who can't make it. Maybe those CGI fans they had for the baseball last year

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

the sex ghost posted:

Hoping for stadiums to have a WWE style wall of tellies for fans who can't make it. Maybe those CGI fans they had for the baseball last year

Christmas market log cabins selling £5 pints of gluhwein mixed with a Scotland v Brazil game

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Just laughing out loud thinking of all the Euro 2021 final scenes at Wembley of local fans trying to bum rush the stadium being re-enacted in Qatar. The atmosphere is going to be fully sick

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
I had to go to Doha a few years back for work and have no desire to ever return. No way the home nations travelling fans get back unscathed.

Meanwhile we now have the prospect of a Wales v Scotland match for a WC place if they can get past Austria and Ukraine respectively.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Ooh, and I have just realised that one of Portugal or Italy are definitely not going to the WC as they would meet in a playoff final

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Andoman posted:

Ooh, and I have just realised that one of Portugal or Italy are definitely not going to the WC as they would meet in a playoff final

I hope Portugal go out OP

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

I hope Portugal go out OP

Ronaldo is going to dunk on Bonucci and Chiellini and yell Juve merda into the camera

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

They’ll absolutely win because of Ron. We’ll probably go out to North Macedonia anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Not World Cup related, but...

https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1464285895243165698?s=12