Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sindai posted:

If you don't like long meandering stories centered around weird stand fights that aren't central to the plot you may not enjoy any of the rest of Jojo, because that's pretty much its entire thing.

Alright I'm in episode 37 now and fights have gotten interesting again. Stands are a lot more gimmicky now which makes for more entertaining fights than a car or a gun or a fish that swims fast, so if these are the weird stand fights going forward then I will enjoy it.

I particularly liked the magnet stand and the gambler. The de-aging shadow would have been a cool episode if the stand user wasn't a guy that enjoys beating naked children :yikes:

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alessi isn't quite as creepy as Forever, but he certainly is trying really hard.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Part 3 takes a little bit to hit its stride with stand fights. Early on stands really are just like "this guy is the fire guy" but they get more and more creative and the Egypt season of the anime is when part 3 starts to get really good for me and a little more emblematic of what the series is like going forward. Later parts are a little better at tying together the actual fights to be less stand user of the week, though it still is a lot of "wow we met this weird guy and he's got a crazy stand this time!". There's just more meat in between where plot happens outside of just traveling a little closer to Dio.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Japanese high schoolers in gakuran wandering the desert is an incredibly iconic setup.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I liked how Jotaro ruins his clothes and then has an identical set tailored so he's still traveling in his school uniform.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a shame that Avdol, Kakyoin, and Iggy have the most versatile Stands in the group, and none of them really get to fight often.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's a shame that Avdol, Kakyoin, and Iggy have the most versatile Stands in the group, and none of them really get to fight often.
What does Avdol's stand do besides use fire defensively and punch things with fire?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There’s that life-detecting… Star he can create with it?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Magician's Red isn't as versatile as some later part stands but compared to "punch good" or "sword," controlling fire has a lot more possibilities.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Magician's Red could melee fairly well, launch fireballs of varying size, apparently further manipulate any fire that had been previously created by it, create bindings to restrict people, and sense heat sources.

It just, unfortunately, rarely got to do much more than shoot fire occasionally.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ahem, avdol is OP (except for cheap shots from cheap shits like vanilla ice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gwWKDvR_0

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hierophant Green suffers from having more bad guy powers than good guy powers

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I feel like one of the reasons why Avdol died first is because setting people on fire is a hard power to write. Why bind people when you could just incinerate them?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I feel like Avdol and Fugo got written out for the same reason, their stands were just too good and not compelling to write fights around.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr. Jester, I have learned after a great deal of time that the only way to defeat a vampire who can stop time is to BURN HIM.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I feel like Avdol and Fugo got written out for the same reason, their stands were just too good and not compelling to write fights around.

The main problem with Purple Haze was that Giorno got to be immune to its virus, take that away and you can still get some writing out of a last resort stand. Imagine Fugo being in the Requiem fight and the group having to decide if it's worth melting one of them to prevent Diavolo from getting the arrow

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The answer to that is an instant yes. They're all dead if it happens so yeah it sucks but there's no real option. Though you can have a discussion about when that point is reached, at least.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Binged the remaining episodes of part 3 last night.

I liked the video game gambler guy but I was hoping "hue hue old man doesn't know videogames" Joseph would have been the one to teach them darn kids a lesson and be the one to beat him. Either by picking a game where D'arby couldn't abuse his "Yes/No" power (like Tetris, Pacman or Galaga to go with the "Joseph is old" shctick) or having Joseph's improvisation/making decisions on the fly rendering him immune to the "Yes/No" power.

And gotta agree with the other comments here. In most anime's the fire guy is always the most problematic to write fights about because of how OP the power itself is to the point that villains beeline to take them out or nerf them (Yamomoto in Bleach or Mustang in FMA as examples), so wasn't surprised Avdol died. Wish he wouldn't have been one shotted from the back on both times he died, but guess it makes sense.

Vanilla Ice was eh. Cool power and fight, but boring "fanatic" personality.

The fight vs DIO started fun, but got kinda boring when Jotaro was the only one left. DIO carried the fight entertainmentwise from that point onwards.

loving booo that Polnareff was the only none JoJo to survive. Kakyon deserved better :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

I liked the video game gambler guy but I was hoping "hue hue old man doesn't know videogames" Joseph would have been the one to teach them darn kids a lesson and be the one to beat him.

That's exactly what happened, though. Jotaro was terrible at video games and passed the controller to his grandpa.

lezard_valeth posted:

Vanilla Ice was eh. Cool power and fight, but boring "fanatic" personality.

Honestly, I kinda like how Vanilla Ice is so blindly loyal to DIO that he just cuts off his head the moment that DIO says that he's thirsty. Even DIO is like :dogstare:

It makes for a very unsettling fight compared to every previous one, because this guy is so obsessively loyal to DIO that he thinks that he survived being stabbed in the brain out of sheer determination.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's exactly what happened, though. Jotaro was terrible at video games and passed the controller to his grandpa.

Well yeah, but they cheated. I was expecting Jotaro ripping on his gramps' for being too old to play videogames to be a setup for him to kick D'arbys rear end in a fair match.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think Fugo had at least one more interesting fight in him. Something that showed how he could lead and how much Narancia trusted him. I'm thinking that by having a long range battle or a chase where the enemy had some kind of defense against Aerosmith's bullets and bombs, Fugo could guide Narancia through the fight. Though eventually they would be forced to try the extremely stupid and dangerous move of giving Aerosmith one of Haze's gas bombs to drop on the enemy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

lezard_valeth posted:

Well yeah, but they cheated. I was expecting Jotaro ripping on his gramps' for being too old to play videogames to be a setup for him to kick D'arbys rear end in a fair match.

You expect Joseph to not cheat?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Kakyoin survived there's no way he would have lasted any amount of time around Josuke's mom.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's not like D'arby isn't cheating himself.

And I'd give Kakyoin a 50/50 shot of getting murdered/hooking up with Josukes mom.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
btw should I watch part 3's OVAs? I dig the 90's art style

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

lezard_valeth posted:

It's kind of a weird adaptation but it's definitely cool and the English dub has Charles Martinet of it's a me, Mario fame as Senator Wilson Phillips

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

Watch the OVA that takes place in Egypt and has DIO; it came out first and is better made than the second OVA, which is the early half.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I understand, the OVA is basically Jojo with all of the goofiness sucked out. Also, Vanilla Ice's fight is a lot less cool, but the DIO fight is twice as good.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Satoshi Kon apparently directed episode 5 of the OVA.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Stupid question, but I assume this will be updated with a new episode weekly unlike the traditional Netflix format of it being released all at once?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Stupid question, but I assume this will be updated with a new episode weekly unlike the traditional Netflix format of it being released all at once?

Nope it's starting with a 12 episode dump!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

multijoe posted:

Nope it's starting with a 12 episode dump!

HOLY loving poo poo! NETFLIX IS GOD!

Thank you for saving us for the lovely week to week format!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You won't find many people sharing your enthusiasm as such, friend.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah I'm way in the camp of wanting to watch it week-to-week. My friend and I got into a habit of Friday Jojo watching since he got into it at the star of Part 3. Having it all dumped is fine I guess but it loses the enjoyment of a good evening with my pal every week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, at least it's not all 36 episodes at once.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
imagine wanting fewer Jojo Fridays in your life

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

HOLY loving poo poo! NETFLIX IS GOD!

Counterpoint.

Also, less Jojo Fridays, etc.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Imagine if netflix did a live action jojo adaptation... sheer epicness...

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I also don't mind it not being weekly. Sure, it can be fun to discuss the story but it feels a bit pointless when the answers to all speculation already exists. I was late on the JoJo train though and went through part 1-5 in a few weeks this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

multijoe posted:

Imagine if netflix did a live action jojo adaptation... sheer epicness...

Takashi Miike already did one.