Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Sure, but Arrakis isn't just any planet: it's Spice World. The Emperor can act like a Saturday night diva about how the Harkonnens making the Atreides move over is too much, but he can't outright make them stop now that they're there- if he did do it, the interruption in production would mean denying the rest of the galaxy the chance to spice up their life, and since the noble houses- and the spacing guild, for that matter- want to never give up on the good times, they'd all have it out for him. That's how an outsider in the setting would see it anyway, so they could see how it would make sense for the emperor to seemingly just shrug and tell the Harkonnens "viva forever"

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Very same it would be rad having all my questions answered like that

Blu-ray extra of Irulan reading the Doon appendices. No explanation is given

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

2house2fly posted:

Sure, but Arrakis isn't just any planet: it's Spice World. The Emperor can act like a Saturday night diva about how the Harkonnens making the Atreides move over is too much, but he can't outright make them stop now that they're there- if he did do it, the interruption in production would mean denying the rest of the galaxy the chance to spice up their life, and since the noble houses- and the spacing guild, for that matter- want to never give up on the good times, they'd all have it out for him. That's how an outsider in the setting would see it anyway, so they could see how it would make sense for the emperor to seemingly just shrug and tell the Harkonnens "viva forever"
If you put two and two together, you'll see what the collusion was for. The scary Harkonnens and posh Atreides hated each other, and the two houses were a bit of a pain to the emperor. So he found a way to make 2 become 1, while appearing neutral. The Harkonnens enhance their fearsome reputation and the emperor lets it happen because tell me why another house would wannabe put in charge of Arrakis? The Harkonnens say they'll be there, forever, and the emperor can keep denying his involvement by shrugging and saying "I tried to remove them but they want it too much. At least they keep the spice flowing."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They did not want to get with the emperor's friends

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
In the book, didn’t the Baron have plans that Feyd might become emperor?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

david_a posted:

In the book, didn’t the Baron have plans that Feyd might become emperor?

If not Feyd, Feyd’s son. He was very much playing Space Crusader Kings.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

MrYenko posted:

If not Feyd, Feyd’s son. He was very much playing Space Crusader Kings.

Which, if Jessica had given birth to a daughter instead of Paul, would have potentially happened, since the offspring of Feyd and the daughter would have been a potential KH.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dune Stellaris mod when?

Just kidding Stellaris would need an entire strategy layer that currently doesn't exist. I was so excited for their pitch of a 4X that morphs into grand strategy once the map is filled in. But there never was real diplomacy much less internal political dynamics.

I don't blame them, that was just too ambitious in a genre that's already notoriously hard to make. Stellaris really needed a complete overhaul rather than DLCs adding little mechanics around the edges. But as always the hard part would be creating an AI that could intelligently play half a dozen alien empires with all those systems without dragging your computer to its knees.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune Stellaris mod when?

Just kidding Stellaris would need an entire strategy layer that currently doesn't exist. I was so excited for their pitch of a 4X that morphs into grand strategy once the map is filled in. But there never was real diplomacy much less internal political dynamics.

I don't blame them, that was just too ambitious in a genre that's already notoriously hard to make. Stellaris really needed a complete overhaul rather than DLCs adding little mechanics around the edges. But as always the hard part would be creating an AI that could intelligently play half a dozen alien empires with all those systems without dragging your computer to its knees.

Pretty sure there is one for CK2.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Dune Stellaris mod when?

stellaris 2 is gonna be lit though

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm reading the book for the first time and like the great Heighliner ships are so big that they can simultaneously carry all the frigates of your house but all the frigates around of the house that wants to kill you... at the same time without you knowing? I don't think any game could capture that level of bizarre non-linear warfare.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
CK generally comes close because much of Dune is based around the idea that there are specific things limiting your actions in war, some of which are technological (you can’t quickly move all your forces to where they need to be) and some are political (there will always be someone who limits your ability to act- the Guild, the Pope, etc.)

Even as the book ends with the Emperor’s overthrow and a massive universe-wide crusade, some semblances of the old order remain in the sequels. It’s never “there are no rules”.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So, against whom was Maud Dib's jihad waged? The other houses? Why? And the Guild just shuttled them around to kill everyone?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was a religious war against people who didn't want to convert to paul worship. The guild was forced to comply due to paul's threat to the spice but not very happily, hence why dune messiah happened

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

It was a religious war against people who didn't want to convert to paul worship. The guild was forced to comply due to paul's threat to the spice but not very happily, hence why dune messiah happened
Edric is largely ineffectual, as he's just there to shield the co-conspirators - Bijaz (through Scytale) and Mohaim seem like the primary planners.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Simplex posted:

If the movie was depicting Feudalism rather than a Roman/Byzantine political system then maybe. In this system the nobility would expect some warfare and murder between houses, but the Harkonnens retaking Arrakis is a direct challenge to the authority of the Emperor. It only happens with the blessing of the Emperor, or if the Emperor is weak.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

i genuinely dont get why he doesnt put on some weight. he lost it after interstellar and seems dedicate to looking 15-19 years old

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ammanas posted:

i genuinely dont get why he doesnt put on some weight. he lost it after interstellar and seems dedicate to looking 15-19 years old

Hordes of women and presumably a decent amount of dudes think he is the pinnacle of beauty and sexiness. His image is being the skinny dude, a muscular version of him would be weird. I don't see him taking a role in a Marvel movie and getting swole anytime soon, although that would be pretty funny.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
To paraphrase John Scalzi: they may have put him in a pigeonhole, but it's a hole filled with money so :shrug:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Guild just shuttling jihad fighters from massacre to massacre.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I would ask what that's about, but I'm pretty sure the answer would cause me physical pain at the sheer stupidity of the explanation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

I would ask what that's about, but I'm pretty sure the answer would cause me physical pain at the sheer stupidity of the explanation.

No that's frank, he just never wrote about it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRrct4lzowI

Randalor posted:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dick-flattening

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

2house2fly posted:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ALFbrot posted:

If you put two and two together, you'll see what the collusion was for. The scary Harkonnens and posh Atreides hated each other, and the two houses were a bit of a pain to the emperor. So he found a way to make 2 become 1, while appearing neutral. The Harkonnens enhance their fearsome reputation and the emperor lets it happen because tell me why another house would wannabe put in charge of Arrakis? The Harkonnens say they'll be there, forever, and the emperor can keep denying his involvement by shrugging and saying "I tried to remove them but they want it too much. At least they keep the spice flowing."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ow. I think that link gave me an aneurysm.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
So nobody wants to use lasguns on someone with a shield because that would cause a nuclear explosion. But wouldn't suicidal terrorists love this option? It sounds like a relatively low-cost way of creating massive destruction. I don't think it occurred to Frank Herbert that terrorists would love doing this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duncan does it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spoilers for Dune Part 2 final battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvWefB4NGGI

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

God I love that this is the future for all upcoming movie stars

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kurzon posted:

So nobody wants to use lasguns on someone with a shield because that would cause a nuclear explosion. But wouldn't suicidal terrorists love this option? It sounds like a relatively low-cost way of creating massive destruction. I don't think it occurred to Frank Herbert that terrorists would love doing this.
In the book, I believe the resulting explosion from lasguns hitting shields is insanely unpredictable. Like, it can produce atomics-equivalent (or, I think, potentially greater) explosions, but as a tactic it may repeateadly fail you.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I was talking about terrorism. Like, if you want to blow up a city, just rent a hotel room downtown, activate your shield and get your accomplice to shoot you repeatedly until the desired explosion happens.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kurzon posted:

I was talking about terrorism. Like, if you want to blow up a city, just rent a hotel room downtown, activate your shield and get your accomplice to shoot you repeatedly until the desired explosion happens.

Isn't the problem that "your accomplice shoots you, and you both die in an explosion" just that the size of the explosion could be everything from "The walls of the room you're in need a quick scrubbing to get the blood off" to "several city blocks are gone"? You only get one try, amd you have no way to control the size of the explosion. If you were wanting an explosive death, bombs still exist and are far more reliable.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Father! Father. The beats have awoken.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kurzon posted:

If you're a terrorist in Dune you'll just use a stoneburner nuke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnkLCoVSjnc

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Kurzon posted:

the reaction can be whatever. sometimes only the one with the shield dies, sometimes the shooter dies, sometimes it both...and sometimes it's a nuke, but you can't predict it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

McKilligan posted:

Because they were just as eager to lure House Atreides into a trap. Vladimir Harkonnen was in on it from the beginning.

Duke Leto (and presumably anyone else paying attention) was aware of the obvious nature of the trap, but he walked into it for 3 reasons - The temptation of being put in charge of the most critical resource in the galaxy and the potential profits, his confidence in House Atreides' intelligence network and martial strength (his troops under Halleck and Idaho are reputed to be comparable to the Sardaukar, which was previously unthinkable), and an unwillingness to openly defy an imperial order at the time.

He failed to predict the the extreme measures and cost that House Harkonnen were willing to invest in their destruction. He fully expected a campaign of protracted sabotage and economic warfare, not spending the galactic equivalent of 50 years worth of GDP on an immediate full-scale military invasion, especially not one bolstered by Sardaukar.

Plus towards the end he seemed confident that they would have time to martial the Fremen to their side, it's not til that last conversation he has with Jessica that he realizes poo poo is going down way too fast for him to do anything against it. I liked how in the movie he seems focused on the sabotage aspect commenting on the lovely nature of the gear he thinks the Harkonnen have left behind and stuff - He sees the expected protracted sabotage and economic warfare right in front of him between cemented in assassin, the carry-all malfunctioning (in the book it just doesn't show up because it was supposedly shot down), etc.. The movie did a good job fixing some of the almost arguably a plot hole level of lack of initiative from Leto and Jessica in some of these situations.

Crespolini posted:

the reaction can be whatever. sometimes only the one with the shield dies, sometimes the shooter dies, sometimes it both...and sometimes it's a nuke, but you can't predict it.

Yeah it's far too random a range of outcomes to be useful.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
If I remember correctly the lasgun / shield interaction specifically caused atomic fusion which always resulted in a big explosion. The reason they're not used for this purpose militarily is because the author thought swords were cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Mata posted:

If I remember correctly the lasgun / shield interaction specifically caused atomic fusion which always resulted in a big explosion. The reason they're not used for this purpose militarily is because the author thought swords were cooler.

Dune posted:

A lasgun-shield explosion was a dangerous variable, could be more powerful than atomics, could kill only the gunner and his shielded target.