Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shoeberto posted:

According to my dad there is a big contingent of rear end in a top hat boomers just punching the clock til retirement, yeah. They don't have any real skin in the game. Our tax dollars at work.

This is what is happening at my work. I think most of the anti vax people got vaccinated, the small contingent that didn't is older and are retiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DOJ has already started their process that will result in firings. people who said they will not attest nor seek an exception got letters monday, and non-respondents are getting one today. firings finalized by mid-january

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

quote:

As of early October, just over half of the Bureau of Prisons’ 37,000 employees were vaccinated.

lmao i wonder how that will play out.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
happy thanksgiving goons!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Stereotype posted:

happy thanksgiving goons!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if we haven't been cleansed by nuclear hellfire by one year from today, we'll have had five covid shots total. love you!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Canada recently approved covid vaccines for 5+ and that's a welcome relief ngl

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Kenny Logins posted:

Canada recently approved covid vaccines for 5+ and that's a welcome relief ngl

My niece (7) finally got hers so my sister's fam is finally protected.

Now we wait for the infant ranges.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/1464045336708714501

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

there's a new variant?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

PIZZA.BAT posted:

there's a new variant?

yeah one in South Africa totally beat out delta and is now 90% dominant in like a week and also evades the vaccine lmao. markers are crashing in Japan and futures markets are down too. whoops!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

yeah one in South Africa totally beat our delta in like a week and also evades the vaccine lmao. markers are crashing in Japan and futures markets are down too. whoops!

sweet

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
don’t worry we will never do lockdowns again. mask mandates are gone for good. don’t look up!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Stereotype posted:

yeah one in South Africa totally beat out delta and is now 90% dominant in like a week and also evades the vaccine lmao. markers are crashing in Japan and futures markets are down too. whoops!

oh. that's not good

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh. that's not good

i doubt you have to worry. the united states is one of the best prepared nations for a pandemic

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's ok, we'll stop it by doing the following preventative measures:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fart simpson posted:

i doubt you have to worry. the united states is one of the best prepared nations for a pandemic

i’m sure our best and brightest are on it right now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stereotype posted:

yeah one in South Africa totally beat out delta and is now 90% dominant in like a week and also evades the vaccine lmao.

they said that about beta and the vaccines still work. people need to chill the gently caress out and wait for the data to come in before claiming such things

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

they said that about beta and the vaccines still work. people need to chill the gently caress out and wait for the data to come in before claiming such things

lol okay

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it'd be super awesome if it turned out that vaccines targeting the original spike protein were still effective against this variant with a totally different spike protein

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

this is not at all how neal stephenson works

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Stereotype posted:

There really isn't enough data to confirm any of those things, which were hyperbole to begin with.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is november 2021 and we're using the markets as an indicator for how serious the latest news on covid is

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jabor posted:

it'd be super awesome if it turned out that vaccines targeting the original spike protein were still effective against this variant with a totally different spike protein

If the spike protein were "totally different" as you say, and antibodies couldn't bind to it at all anymore, then it wouldn't be able to bind to the ACE2 receptors either.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

why am i not surprised the blue maga crowd in yospos isn't taking the new variant seriously?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I guess if you want to make "drawing premature conclusions based on incomplete data" part of your political identity, then go off.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

carry on then posted:

why am i not surprised the blue maga crowd in yospos isn't taking the new variant seriously?

well we can't all think the world is going to end in 5 years or whatever it is

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I was told that covid was over by my president though. :confused:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah we still need more data but what we have now isn't pointing in a good direction. there's nothing we can do about it anyways

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i will simply exercise my personal responsibility to avoid catching the plague

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its given me the perfect excuse for backing out of that in-person thing i didnt really want to go to in january anyways

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just hold your breath when you walk by other people. easy peasy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

it's greatly entertaining to me that tori came up with "blue maga" to insult people going to outdoor dining after getting vaccinated -- i.e. following the scientists' recommendations -- instead of holing up in their houses indefinitely because of the much worse and scarier NEW VARIANT coming ANY DAY NOW that he read about on facebook.

the irony is just :allears:

anyway take this to the hellworld thread please

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, going to be a touch more careful while information is gathered. even so: lol at looking at stock futures as an indicator of severity, if consistent with the past 18 months the falling markets indicate that a lot of people are likely coming back to life in coming weeks.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

It was loving awesome to brag to all my in-laws yesterday about how I work remotely for the indefinite future and my company is unrolling unlimited PTO next year.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Video Nasty posted:

unlimited PTO next year.

lol rip

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Video Nasty posted:

unlimited PTO next year.
lol run

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my last job was unlimited pto and in practice it was like 4 weeks

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

a good friend of mine got 6 weeks in a row off paid for his wedding at his unlimited pto job. lots of them are scams but not all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my company is unlimited pto and it's fine.