Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

fart simpson posted:

the hong kong airport has one of these

yeah but where's the loose wires and the bitcoin glyph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

drk posted:

if only there was a technology to automate the exchange of money for beer

Heh, nice render but you can't fool me this easily. :smuggo:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
i prefer my over engineered beer delivery solutions to be potentially lethal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmm9Z3fY29g

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

The Russians used a bottle

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xarn posted:

What loving bars does this person visit?

the ballet class kind, at least before that bastard nocoiner of a judge told him to stay 1000 feet away from them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

drk posted:

maybe bitcoin was created by the cia and they've controlled it all along :tinfoil:

I hope so. With CIA's track record, it would mean bitcoin was about to collapse.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
markkarpelèsultra

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SubG posted:

markkarpelèsultra
did nothing wrong

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It was only a matter of time.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

infernal machines posted:

what do these loving clowns think "bitcoin technology" means?

satoshi invented git with global warming

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

SubG posted:

markkarpelèsultra

Shumagorath posted:

did nothing wrong

:popeye::worship::hmmyes::right:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I can’t even tell what’s meant to be joking any more, this thread has got to be a satire yet reads terrifyingly sincere
https://twitter.com/delta____wither/status/1463576595357126657?s=21

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

So I re-mortgaged my house for an NFT of a lion in a baseball cap (1/4921)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

if you don't know who would take it off your hands, congratulations, you are the bagholder.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

njsykora posted:

I can’t even tell what’s meant to be joking any more, this thread has got to be a satire yet reads terrifyingly sincere
https://twitter.com/delta____wither/status/1463576595357126657?s=21
https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. once again dril is entirely too prescient

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

kw0134 posted:

if you don't know who would take it off your hands, congratulations, you are the bagholder.
pffft right clicker mentality. it's ~*digital*~ bagholder

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

check out my new series of collectable bag nfts. there's bag, bag with stink lines, bag with sunglasses, bag with different sunglases, zombie bag....

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
if history has taught us anything here, even if you made "Idiot bag holder coin" [IBHC] people would still 'invest' in it if you made number appear to go up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SubG posted:

check out my new series of collectable bag nfts. there's bag, bag with stink lines, bag with sunglasses, bag with different sunglases, zombie bag....

we got bag o' glass, bag o' nails, bag o' bugs, bag o' vipers, bag o' sulfuric acid

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rip to a real one: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59432659

https://twitter.com/mrgoxx/status/1463434495454027780

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, why not?

we'll check back in 5 years and see how that's going

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

like most cryptocurrency traders he died as he lived, in a featureless room with poop in the corners

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

For a moment I thought it was about Tibane the Cat, but it's some kind of a rodent. Sorry, can't say I care too much for it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

For a moment I thought it was about Tibane the Cat, but it's some kind of a rodent. Sorry, can't say I care too much for it.

i was really confused also, because tibane passed away a few years ago

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/magicaltux/status/1175816498272563207

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:rip: mr thecat, you will be missed

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Paladinus posted:

I can have beer delivered to me in 15 minutes.

I can be sober fifteen minutes after drinking one beer…on a plane at any speed?

Edit:

Shageletic posted:

They also prevent children from being in bars and drinking but with these people it would be a positive

:actually: , it’s “ephebodrunk;” furthermore

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 27, 2021

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

infernal machines posted:

the incredible decentralizing power of hash trees that burn more power than ireland to implement a fundamentally flawed replacement for trust

What if git but it costs $50 everytime you make a commit and there's no way to undo anything?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

“The greatest trick Saotshi ever pulled was convincing the world a public ledger was anonymous”

Wait, so it seems like the white paper was written by the IRS? Imagine if some cabal in 2001 wanted to better track who buys and sells everything of any amount ever, permanently. Not just terrorism finance and drug users, but beer from a machine in El Salvador or hoarding cash-“equivalents” offline.

Dammit, it’s perfect.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

fins posted:

i prefer my over engineered beer delivery solutions to be potentially lethal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmm9Z3fY29g

Not just any robotic arm, but one clearly designed for extra heavy payloads. Beautiful.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/r0qfrr/scam_or_insane_payout/

quote:

Let me tell u the Rolercoaster ride I’ve been on the last few days.

OK, so I met someone on Twitter (I know, red flag lol). We talked for like 6 to 7 days. She asked why in the world I wasn’t part of an eth mining pool. She said she was bringing in 4 eth a day as profit. I asked her how it’s done, apparently, you take tether in your coin base wallet, and you join an Ethereum mining pool, and they use your tether to create eth and you get dividends back in Ethereum.

I tried it with a small amount and saw that it was indeed making profit that I could withdraw in tether and send back to coin base and ultimately my account. The profit was incredible. The return is 1-3% per day depending on the amount of tether you have.

So I put in $200k of tether and was making 2% per day. That’s $4000 per day in ethereum straight to my account as passive income. I was about to retire.

Today I took a nap, when I got up, I checked my tether account (200,000 tether), and the balance was zero. A random address had withdrawn it all 😣

I contacted the mining pool help and they said it has to be staked/pledged for 30 days. I have no access to it or the profits, but I can see the profits being made (approx 0.5 tether every 6 hours)…staking it doubles the profit.

So I called coinbase wallet freaking out wondering if this is a scam and they said they’ve never heard of an issue like this before which is a good sign. Also, that girl I met who told me about it, is still talking to me and trying to ease my worries…which is also a good sign because of it was a scam, she would just disappear.

If it’s a scam, I’m out of 200k. If it’s not a scam. The 200k is set to bring in $270k just in profit in one month.

Do you guys have any experience or thoughts on this?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
the fact that he can tell that story and still not know if it was a scam is :discourse:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

surely that's a creative writing exercise

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

they can't be that stupid, they must be explaining it wrong

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at thanksgiving yesterday my dad made me explain in great detail why bitcoin was a terrible idea and a complete scam so he could record it, because he apparently has a bitcoiner coworker who won't shut up about it

i'm like ok dad sure but playing a recording of me saying why it's a bad idea isn't going to make him stop talking about it it's going to make him talk about it more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

dad (and the rest of the family) at least seemed to grasp the basics and he even went "wait, isn't that just a pyramid scheme..." at one point. why yes dad, it sure is!

good dad, thank you for not sinking any possible inheritance i might get into this bullshit

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

DerekSmartymans posted:

Wait, so it seems like the white paper was written by the IRS? Imagine if some cabal in 2001 wanted to better track who buys and sells everything of any amount ever, permanently. Not just terrorism finance and drug users, but beer from a machine in El Salvador or hoarding cash-“equivalents” offline.

Dammit, it’s perfect.

so :actually: bitcoin did a "soft fork" upgrade that adds a mixer into transactions now

https://coingeek.com/taproot-centralized-changes-put-every-btc-user-at-risk/

coingeek posted:

The express intention of the changes is to reduce the scope for anonymizing technologies which obscure financial transactions—such as Taproot. Taproot removes the ability for businesses such as exchanges to deal in BTC with any kind of confidence that they can collect the information they are required to collect by law.

But the implications of Taproot are much worse than just exchanges running afoul of AML laws. What the Taproot update does is make the responsibility for laundered coins to fall more broadly on the shoulders of every participant in the network. Between a rise in ransomware attacks using BTC and the overall percentage of illicit activity in digital currency—though receding—still remaining high, it is inevitable that your legitimate BTC will rub shoulders with illicit ones either knowingly or unknowingly. Thanks to Taproot, your coins are now at risk of being tied up with illegally-gotten BTC in a much more direct way. This is the design of Taproot: if five legitimate transactions make up a Taproot envelope with one illegitimate transaction, all it looks like to regulators and investigators is one transaction tainted by laundered money.

The people who tell you that code is law will also tell you that this means none of the transaction is illegitimate. The obvious reality is the exact opposite: thanks to Taproot, all of it is.

The effect is to make it impossible for exchanges to compliantly list and transact in BTC. This arguably was the case before the law reforms of the last year, but now is certain: exchanges cannot fulfil their AML and KYC obligations on BTC transactions.

Judging by the frequency with which the heads of these exchanges tend to get indicted, many exchanges will pretend that nothing has changed and continue to enjoy taking revenue on BTC. They can probably get away with this for a time, but the end-destination is the same: prison, as Arthur Hayes has discovered and as Binance’s Changpeng Zhao is about to.

Unfortunately, by happily living in contravention of their global AML obligations, the exchanges aren’t just putting themselves at risk. By keeping BTC accessible and by outwardly promoting it as a compliant asset, the exchanges are duping naïve investors into thinking they are safe to transact. They are not: not only is every exchange an indictment away from total ruin (and therefore by extension, the ruin of their customers), but people who are unfortunate enough to continue to transact in BTC are now exposed to enormous legal risk. In the U.S., federal and state government can seize digital assets which they allege to be traceable to criminal activity: a charitable interpretation would be that all proceeds from a Taproot envelope are tainted, but a real argument could be made that the Taproot update makes every transaction a BTC mixer, with the entire output—even transactions which were originally complaint—are now entirely laundered cash.

BTC is still spoken of as a decentralized system and yet all it took for the legal position of the BTC protocol to change drastically was evidently for the Taproot idea to occur to centralized protocol developer Gregory Maxwell in 2018. A short few years later, and Taproot is a reality. How’s that for centralization?

This is why Dr. Wright’s case against various protocol developers is so important. It can’t be the case that those who rely on digital assets have no recourse against the people responsible for maintaining and developing them. The very existence of Taproot is evidence that decentralization is a fiction, and it’s a fiction that the law—as it exists today—has no time for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

does anyone remember which bitcoin wallet it was that used random.org for entropy so when random.org changed its API it just started using the HTTP error code as its random seed instead