Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

CerealKilla420 posted:

I'm gonna jump on the sale as well... For what I plan on using it for (backing up my data hoarder setup and streaming to my living room TV setup), I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

I would imagine if you are doing more high intensity stuff though that a processor refresh would make a big difference? Maybe? Tbh I'm not really sure what kind of programs people run on NAS setups. I know you can run stuff in docker but I don't know what people actually run if you know what I mean.

edit: can someone tell me what they use docker for on their NAS I'm really curious now.

Plex, all the automated -arr apps, cloud backup, syncthing, couple utility things (like qdirstat/dolphin), tdarr, steam cache (though I recently broke it and haven't bothered to fix it), that's mostly it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CerealKilla420 posted:

I'm gonna jump on the sale as well... For what I plan on using it for (backing up my data hoarder setup and streaming to my living room TV setup), I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

I would imagine if you are doing more high intensity stuff though that a processor refresh would make a big difference? Maybe? Tbh I'm not really sure what kind of programs people run on NAS setups. I know you can run stuff in docker but I don't know what people actually run if you know what I mean.

edit: can someone tell me what they use docker for on their NAS I'm really curious now.

For me, I have a DS219+ already. I want more storage bays, so may as well get the most juice now hoping that I'm not going to upgrade for 10 years.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

CerealKilla420 posted:

I'm currently running a DS1019+ which has the Intel Celeron 1.5ghz J3455 processor and 8GB RAM. Pretty wimpy by comparison to the latest models but still decent.

Inside docker, I'm running the following containers:
- Plex server
- Sonarr
- Nzbget
- Rutorrent/rtorrent
- Unifi Controller
- Pihole

Haven't had any issues with resource consumption running this workload up to this point

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

It's been a long road, but I'm on the final drive replacement of my array, going from 4TB Reds to recently shucked 14TB easystores. Each disk replacement has made the rebuild take progressively longer.

At 25% done on the last drive after about a day, I expect this to take four more days to complete:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My synology cloud sync database is on the old drive I just upgraded.

How do I move this to another drive and then get it working again?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tuyop posted:

My synology cloud sync database is on the old drive I just upgraded.

How do I move this to another drive and then get it working again?

By "drive" do you mean "volume?" I don't use Cloud Sync and I'm having trouble finding official documentation on it, but I am pretty sure you just copy the data and then point Cloud Sync to the new place. It will go through and do a sync, but since the files are already there, it won't download them.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So this is kind of file server related. Kind of.

I am running unRAID as my home server and it is a pretty healthy machine with the exception of a middle of the road video card.

I know a lot of people are using unraid with a beefy GPU to essentially cast gaming to other weaker devices on their Network. For example I have an Intel NUC acting as my home theater machine and was wondering if it's a sane idea to put in the effort of learning how to set up gaming on my unraid box and then stream the game *somehow* to that NUC as opposed to having a big noisy machine sitting next to my television. Is this being done with something like steam link?

Yes I'm fully aware that I will likely have to sell a kidney or two to afford a new GPU.

(Copper 1GB between these devices if it matters)

cr0y fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 24, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

cr0y posted:

So this is kind of file server related. Kind of.

I am running unRAID as my home server and it is a pretty healthy machine with the exception of a middle of the road video card.

I know a lot of people are using unraid with a beefy GPU to essentially cast gaming to other weaker devices on their Network. For example I have an Intel NUC acting as my home theater machine and was wondering if it's a sane idea to put in the effort of learning how to set up gaming on my unraid box and then stream the game *somehow* to that NUC as opposed to having a big noisy machine sitting next to my television. Is this being done with something like steam link?

Yes I'm fully aware that I will likely have to sell a kidney or two to afford a new GPU.

(Copper 1GB between these devices if it matters)

Yeah, you could do this with Steam Link or potentially with Parsec if you have a lot of non-steam games or just can't get Steam Link to work right (I've had difficulties with it crashing or losing connection in the past).

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Scruff McGruff posted:

Yeah, you could do this with Steam Link or potentially with Parsec if you have a lot of non-steam games or just can't get Steam Link to work right (I've had difficulties with it crashing or losing connection in the past).

Echoing the parsec recommendation- it's much less clunky than Steam Link and works more reliably imo.

But yes, you can do that, I do that. It's great!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Okay so I remember now why I didn't upgrade to TrueNAS off the 11x train.

My SMB share was the root of the pool. Can someone explain how I'm supposed to fix this? It's apparently possible and I've messed with it/read online howtos but I seem to be missing something. Doesn't help to have two physical copies of your data in the same rack if one of them is a drive shelf also controlled by the same host! :d:

There's a remote backup but I'd really really prefer to not have to pull it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Only thing I can think is that it's a permissions issue, so try examining it with getfacl(1).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

vanilla slimfast posted:

I'm currently running a DS1019+ which has the Intel Celeron 1.5ghz J3455 processor and 8GB RAM. Pretty wimpy by comparison to the latest models but still decent.

Inside docker, I'm running the following containers:
- Plex server
- Sonarr
- Nzbget
- Rutorrent/rtorrent
- Unifi Controller
- Pihole

Haven't had any issues with resource consumption running this workload up to this point

Thank you for the list. Kind of excited to play around with this stuff.

I have an off site server that I pull my media files from via sFTP. What's the best way to automate this on a NAS? Cute FTP and Transmit (not sure if this program exists outside of the Mac OSX ecosystem)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

By "drive" do you mean "volume?" I don't use Cloud Sync and I'm having trouble finding official documentation on it, but I am pretty sure you just copy the data and then point Cloud Sync to the new place. It will go through and do a sync, but since the files are already there, it won't download them.

In this case they’re the same thing, but yeah.

Same issue I had finding documentation. I guess I’ll give that a shot. I’m most concerned with my Backblaze sync since it would take a long time to redo that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

WD got come-uppance for submarining SMR into WD Red product lines.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

It is expected that those who purchased WD Red NAS drives with 2TB capacity (WD20EFAX) or 3TB capacity (WD30EFAX) will receive at least $4 for each drive, while those who purchased WD Red NAS drives with 4 TB capacity (WD40EFAX) or 6TB capacity (WD60EFAX) will receive at least $7 for each.

I feel good WD got it's knuckles rapped, how much awesome money the lawyers got, but nothing will ever top of how much I am going to enjoy my next chicken mcnugget meal.

Btw has there been any good fileserver racks for sale lately? I have an HP prolient for movie/tv/Plex stuff with a 1080ti in it. a Synology Nas for .... computer/phone/picture/document backups but my prolient is now around 70% full.

I live in DC so I can go on craigslist and find a used blade from one of the million contractors selling off but the HP I got for a really good deal.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

I feel good WD got it's knuckles rapped, how much awesome money the lawyers got, but nothing will ever top of how much I am going to enjoy my next chicken mcnugget meal.

Btw has there been any good fileserver racks for sale lately? I have an HP prolient for movie/tv/Plex stuff with a 1080ti in it. a Synology Nas for .... computer/phone/picture/document backups but my prolient is now around 70% full.

I live in DC so I can go on craigslist and find a used blade from one of the million contractors selling off but the HP I got for a really good deal.
I mean, it's nothing compared to the antitrust case that Magrete Vestager launched against Google, which resulted in a 2.8 billion dollar fine - but it's better than letting them get away with it completely.

When you say fileserver rack, what do you mean? A JBOD chassis with a SAS expander that can be connected to a SAS HBA with external ports, or a server chassis with room for lots of disks?
The latter can be converted to the former with very little effort - basically just involves buying a SAS expander and a few cables to make sure it can be turned on - although the chia cryptocurrency bullshit has caused the SAS expander market to explode. orz

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
A few NAS devices and a lot of storage went up in Amazon's Black Friday sale.

I picked up the QNAP TS-230 for $160. It dropped to $180 a few days ago but I held out just in case, and I'm glad I did.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah the 920+ 4 bay 4gb is down under 500 which is awful tempting
https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Bay-DiskStation-DS220-Diskless/dp/B087Z34F3R/ref=psdc_13436301_t1_B083W6328Q?th=1

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
920+ is a fantastic machine. I got mine about a month ago and it’s worth every penny even at full price.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dang if I had known they were going to have the same pricing on Amazon I would have ordered from them.

I wanted to reduce my risk of missing out on the deal by ordering from B&H last night when the deal went live...

Oh well...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Noooooo my NAS got delayed in Indiana and the plane didn't leave until late last night. It's now sitting in a warehouse 15 minutes from my house until I assume tomorrow. :rip:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bunch of WD stuff on sale on Amazon (more on the link and some non-WD like toshiba nas drives):
https://smile.amazon.com/deal/e8a44...a-no-redirect=1

quote:

WD Black 5TB P10 Game Drive External HDD $100
WD 1TB My Passport SSD External SSD $110
WD 6TB Elements Desktop External Drive $99.99
WD 12TB Elements Desktop External Drive $198
Western Digital 4TB Red Plus NAS 3.5" Internal HDD $69
WD Black 2TB D30 Game Drive External SSD $216

Also an 18TB Easystore at Best Buy for $300:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-18tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6427995.p?skuId=6427995

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 25, 2021

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

CerealKilla420 posted:

Thank you for the list. Kind of excited to play around with this stuff.

I have an off site server that I pull my media files from via sFTP. What's the best way to automate this on a NAS? Cute FTP and Transmit (not sure if this program exists outside of the Mac OSX ecosystem)?

The file browser (FileStation) lets you directly set up remote connections which just show up alongside your local volumes and folders, which allows for drag-and-drop transfers: https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/FileStation/connect?version=7

There's also a package called DownloadStation, which is a more full featured download manager that can handle also handle torrents, NZBs, and the like: https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/DownloadStation/DownloadStation_desc?version=7

There may be other tools or solutions for automation, these are just the ones I'm specifically aware of that are built into DiskStation itself

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

vanilla slimfast posted:

The file browser (FileStation) lets you directly set up remote connections which just show up alongside your local volumes and folders, which allows for drag-and-drop transfers: https://kb.synology.com/en-us/DSM/help/FileStation/connect?version=7

I've had FileStation reboot with the system and not even try to start the remote connections. I had to go in and force them to connect. it was causing all sorts of guff since I was running sonarr/radarr on it and it couldn't push them to the actual file server where the media files should end up at because Synology just tried once on startup and gives up forever if it doesn't connect .

edit: I fixed it by moving those apps to docker to the media server. I was dumb and made a user name for each service so I have to log into three users to start their instances.

I am dumb at docker.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 25, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I currently have an 8 drive NAS in FreeNAS. Five of the drives are 3TB and four are 4TBs I've put in when the others have died. My friend who helped me with all of this said that once all the drives are the same size, then I'll actually have access to that extra TB on each of the new drives. I imagine that's due to some RAID formation.

The 4TB WD Reds are $69 right now and I'm wondering if I should just get 5 of them. I have 1.2TB free right now which will still last me a little bit so I'm wondering if the drives will be cheaper and still available later when I really need the space.

Also, I'm considering switching to Unraid in the next 6 months or something when I have time to learn it myself and not depend on him for help. Would that have the same thing where each drive can only use the amount of space that the smallest drive has?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I currently have an 8 drive NAS in FreeNAS. Five of the drives are 3TB and four are 4TBs I've put in when the others have died. My friend who helped me with all of this said that once all the drives are the same size, then I'll actually have access to that extra TB on each of the new drives. I imagine that's due to some RAID formation.

The 4TB WD Reds are $69 right now and I'm wondering if I should just get 5 of them. I have 1.2TB free right now which will still last me a little bit so I'm wondering if the drives will be cheaper and still available later when I really need the space.

Also, I'm considering switching to Unraid in the next 6 months or something when I have time to learn it myself and not depend on him for help. Would that have the same thing where each drive can only use the amount of space that the smallest drive has?
It's got nothing to do with RAID, it's just like the kind of expansion you can do with regular filesystems - except that it's not enabled by default (because ZFS properties aren't supposed to be enabled by default if not used, to offer maximum compatibility), so that means that it either has to be enabled before you start replacing disks or do a tiny bit of manual work afterwards.
To check autoexpand is enabled with zpool get all zroot | grep autoexpand - if it isn't, you'll need to run zpool online -e pool device on all the devices that need to be expanded (which is probably all of them).

If you've already got ZFS setup, which gives the best data availability, why go to a solution that has more risk of losing data?

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

KingKapalone posted:

No but if you’re using a parity drive it has to be at least as big as the drives in the same pool.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I still haven't seen anyone give a technically cogent explanation for how that per-folder dedicated parity is supposed to work.

At best there's some hand-waving and appeals to trust that they know what they're doing since clearly they're a commercial making a product that works - despite the fact that there's no way to measure that, and they have just as much interest in not reporting failures as harddisk manefacturers have (which is what lead to S.M.A.R.T being basically useless, unless you try and make guesses based on changing attributes correlated with bathtub curves).
And despite the fact that Linux is opensource, there's no source code from LimeTech to inspect.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's got nothing to do with RAID, it's just like the kind of expansion you can do with regular filesystems - except that it's not enabled by default (because ZFS properties aren't supposed to be enabled by default if not used, to offer maximum compatibility), so that means that it either has to be enabled before you start replacing disks or do a tiny bit of manual work afterwards.
To check autoexpand is enabled with zpool get all zroot | grep autoexpand - if it isn't, you'll need to run zpool online -e pool device on all the devices that need to be expanded (which is probably all of them).

If you've already got ZFS setup, which gives the best data availability, why go to a solution that has more risk of losing data?

Wouldn't be switching because of backup or lack thereof. Would be because there are frequently random issues with it and how all my usenet automation and plex stuff is setup on it. I don't know how to fix it and the way all the filesystems are setup just seem to unnecessarily complicated. Unraid sounds way easier.

edit: and you're saying these simple commands will give back the extra 3TBs on those three 4TB drives since they replaced some 3TB drives?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 25, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Wouldn't be switching because of backup or lack thereof. Would be because there are frequently random issues with it and how all my usenet automation and plex stuff is setup on it. I don't know how to fix it and the way all the filesystems are setup just seem to unnecessarily complicated. Unraid sounds way easier.

edit: and you're saying these simple commands will give back the extra 3TBs on those three 4TB drives since they replaced some 3TB drives?
UnRAID may sound easier, but you already have a working setup, don't you?

It probably won't be exactly 3TB, because it depends on the exact number of LBAs (which varies not just between manufacturers but even between product lines) and the differences between TB and TiB, et cetera ad nauseum - but the array on those disks should expand to cover all the previously unused space.

I've also done a little bit of searching around, and it might be that the autoexpand property is already turned on by default, in which case you shouldn't have to do anything.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

UnRAID may sound easier, but you already have a working setup, don't you?

It probably won't be exactly 3TB, because it depends on the exact number of LBAs (which varies not just between manufacturers but even between product lines) and the differences between TB and TiB, et cetera ad nauseum - but the array on those disks should expand to cover all the previously unused space.

I've also done a little bit of searching around, and it might be that the autoexpand property is already turned on by default, in which case you shouldn't have to do anything.

Well I know when I added the 4TB replacement drives that I didn't gain any capacity.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Well I know when I added the 4TB replacement drives that I didn't gain any capacity.
You have to replace all of the 3TB drives, not just some of them.

Only "RAID" I know of that lets you mix-and-match drive capacities with distributed RAID and get use out of the full diskspace is Drobo, and welp.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
If I’m mainly doing time machine backups for 4 macs, hosting 10-15 VMs to a couple ESX servers and maybe running Plex and all my TV/movies on it, would the ds1621+ be a good option still? Any better option?

Sounds like the ds1621xs+ is overkill especially if I’m not running VMs or on the actual NAS. Maybe some containers for small stuff.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

You have to replace all of the 3TB drives, not just some of them.

Only "RAID" I know of that lets you mix-and-match drive capacities with distributed RAID and get use out of the full diskspace is Drobo, and welp.

It no longer exists but Windows Home Server was great. It let you do exactly that. Still finding 500-750g drives of that server where you can just put it into a HDD dock and find remnants of 2006 internet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Boner Wad posted:

If I’m mainly doing time machine backups for 4 macs, hosting 10-15 VMs to a couple ESX servers and maybe running Plex and all my TV/movies on it, would the ds1621+ be a good option still? Any better option?

Sounds like the ds1621xs+ is overkill especially if I’m not running VMs or on the actual NAS. Maybe some containers for small stuff.

If you're going to be running that many vm's you likely need a load calculation: iops, throughput, acceptable latency, etc. Are these vm's basically idle? Do they all reboot together?

If could be overkill or not enough. I would definitely suggest a flash read cache as large as you can afford.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really don't know where else to ask, I'm having a hard time with a docker container that needs to be on the default bridge network. I run the container using docker-compose and I absolutely can't comprehend the documentation on networking on docker.com.

None of my containers in my docker-compose.yml file have a network specified, which I thought meant they were using the default one, but the documentation says:

quote:

When you run docker-compose up, the following happens:

A network called myapp_default is created.
A container is created using web’s configuration. It joins the network myapp_default under the name web.
A container is created using db’s configuration. It joins the network myapp_default under the name db.

What do I add to my yml file to have that container use the bridge network?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

This should help you get on the default bridge network:
https://faun.pub/run-the-containers-in-default-bridge-network-with-docker-compose-yml-f8e57590722

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Best Buy has the 14TBs on sale too: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-14tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6425303.p?skuId=6425303

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oh thank you!

I got it working by defining a new network that uses the bridge driver.

code:
networks:
  custom-network:
    driver: bridge
And telling my container to use it with
code:
    networks:
      - custom-network
Don't know why I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

tuyop posted:

the default bridge in docker has some quirks so it is recommended to just define your own:

define a bridge network first and verify it exists:
YAML code:
docker network create [name]
docker network ls
in docker compose, define the networks:
YAML code:
networks:
  [name]:
    external: true
and in each container you want to attach to the new bridge, just add it in:
YAML code:
services: